Would you eat food if you dropped it on the floor?

Rat Luv

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1204 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In Soviet labor camps, and in Russian labor camps today as well, when food drops on the floor, the zek, which is the nickname for the prisoner, cries "It fell on a newspaper!". He does that because they short the food rations, prisoners are undernourished, and no one is going to let food go to waste just because it fell on the floor.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

I've done it. Would you? 

Oh, Rat...I could bring in some photos showing just what is on our floors...and you would never eat anything from the floor again.

However, I do rinse off my vitamins and take them anyway when they hit the floor from time to time..

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

However, I do rinse off my vitamins and take them anyway when they hit the floor from time to time..

Oh, I've dropped vitamins on the carpet too, and swallowed those. But I always thought, because they were filled with Vitamin C and D, that they'd cancel out any floor germs before they entered my system :) 

• Haha 1

In my own home, it's not a big deal.  I live alone. I know how often the floors are cleaned, and shoes are always removed at the door.

In public space, no way I'd pick the morsel back up. It's a goner once it hits the floor.

Edited by Eddy Vortex
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

It's much more interesting to ask who would eat this from the floor:

girl-dropping-cake-on-floor-picture-id85

The floor looks clean, so I would probably pick from the top layer of the cake and maybe run the strawberry under the tap. But I live on the edge like that B|

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

How about the walls or ceiling? Walls: backsplash debris; ceiling: pancake-flipping accidents, etc.

I suppose if a pancake sticks to the ceiling you could get on a ladder and eat it...but you might get a sore neck...

40 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

I suppose if a pancake sticks to the ceiling you could get on a ladder and eat it...but you might get a sore neck...

In old silent movies (OLD sitcoms), often the pancake would slowly unpeel itself (via gravity) and fall from the ceiling, into the waiting frying pan / plate / dog's mouth.  You mean that doesn't happen in RL?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

In old silent movies (OLD sitcoms), often the pancake would slowly unpeel itself (via gravity) and fall from the ceiling, into the waiting frying pan / plate / dog's mouth.  You mean that doesn't happen in RL?

I don't know, I've never tried xD But Pancake Day is coming soon...could be a chance to find out!

1 hour ago, Rat Luv said:

Knowing my luck, it will ricochet off the ceiling past my pan and onto the floor >:(

I think that you may be putting a little too much flour in your pancakes if they're ricochet-able ..

• Thanks 1

I probably would eat food that fell on the floor, but I never get a chance. The dogs get to it first. And if they don't, the Resident Geek does.

As the saying goes, "The five second rule doesn't apply when you have a three second puppy".

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Yes, I think it keeps your immune system active so it's prepared when the bigger germs come along :)

Very much so.

It was discussed extensively a few years ago, the Swedish agency for national health had a spokesperson say that people should make sure their kids don't just wash their hands but clean them with alcohol and never stick their fingers in their faces, as that would hopefully make them 'more responsible adults'.

They were lashed back against, as the increased rate of allergies and diminishing immune systems (and why everyone and their uncle now think it's hip to pretend they have celiac disease and be glutenophobes) is due to how our society has gone more sterile in the past 30-40 years, children no longer playing outdoors as they used to, fewer people having animals - those things are imperative for building up an immune system that prepares us to live in, you know, 'the real world' that we're meant to be in.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Rat Luv said:

Yes, I think it keeps your immune system active so it's prepared when the bigger germs come along :)

It is true that some exposure to contaminants is an education to the immune system but considering what other nasties are in the environment now why add to them?  I don't add to the stress by such risks nor by the use of more than simple old-fashioned cleaning methods.  It is, of course, your choice.

• Thanks 1

Would I?  Maybe.  I'd say it depends but most likely I'd pick it up and throw it in the trash so the cats wouldn't eat it because most human food needs to be kept away from cats or they could choke.  I'd give them treats like meat I personally shredded just for them from a whole chicken I would use for chicken soup for example.  But, food needs to be in small sizes for a cat.  So, food on the floor is a danger with cats.  I've had to pull things out of a cats mouth becuz ex hubby was not so mindful of that.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1204 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.