U think we wouldn't notice

PermaRuthed

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1299 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Take a look at the number of names on your friends list in the viewer.

Then look at the number of names on your friends list in the SL dashboard.

If the numbers don't add up and you see some names missing from the dashboard list, you know who's hiding from you.  Why even bother?  lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PermaRuthed said:

If the numbers don't add up and you see some names missing from the dashboard list, you know who's hiding from you.  Why even bother?  lol

I would rather them hide their online status than me interupt them when they are busy.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

41 minutes ago, PermaRuthed said:

You don't need to count names, you can always check the online status of any avatar with an LSL script.

Why bother? Why are you bothered?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, PermaRuthed said:

i'll kill them if they dare to hide  :) ( i have mainly only my alts on this account)
I'm sure they will use it to keep the stipends this month.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

I wouldn't take it personally when people do that...they are usually hiding from everyone, not just you.

I did it a few times and it was only because I wanted to go to an event my friends weren't interested in, or focus on building, and didn't want to get into IMs. I thought it would be better to appear 'offline' than receive IMs I didn't immediately respond to. And if I set status as 'Busy' they'd ask "what were you doing??" afterwards, as if I was up to something dead exciting or scandalous xD

• Like 4

I'm set to appear offline to probably half of my Friends list.  In addition to that, since I'm really bad about paying attention to IMs and I tend to go AFK frequently, I have an auto-response set for everyone that tells them that I likely won't see their message right away, but will respond eventually.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Why bother? Why are you bothered?

I've never used that feature.  If I need to hide, I'd use an alt because it's probably something I have to build and have no time for talking at all.

But, I'm guessing people could be "bothered" (not sure that's the right word) because of possibly assuming things like the person has left SL or is ill, etc.  People get ill though as rl happens to us all...there is no need to tell all your friends you cannot log in for awhile because you are ill nor even busy (my opinion on it).

Edited by FairreLilette

8 hours ago, PermaRuthed said:

The people that are on your Friends list is the same in both views.  There might be a discrepancy in who is showing online, but both the inworld viewer and the dashboard will list all friends.  The only time the actual list is different is when LL is experiencing one of its hiccups -- or a Friend dropped you from their list and inworld or the dashboard is temporarily out of sync.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

I must be the only one who thought it was considerate to not be adding to the bombardment of 

Person A has logged out.

Person B has logged in.

Person C has logged in.

Person D has logged out.

Person D has logged in.

Person B has logged out.

Person X has logged in.

Person Y has logged out.

Person C has logged out.

Person Z has logged in.

How inconsiderate of me to think. 🙊 

4 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I must be the only one who thought it was considerate to not be adding to the bombardment of 

Person A has logged out.

How inconsiderate of me to think. 🙊 

I'd think it's pretty inconsiderate to get annoyed at others about login/logout notifications when you have all the power to make them all go away in your own viewer settings.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Personally I'll remove people if I catch them hiding their online status to me. If they want to reach me, they have my contact card.

I don't go check on the web profile though, I just sporadically browse profiles of people I haven't seen for a while to see whether they've put any notice about taking a break.

• Like 2

I never used the on/offline switch except when bombarded with mass TP's from people who are hosting. Usually when i am bored with someone i just use delete.
(eventually if we miss each other that much we simply start talking again regardless if on friends list.)
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

I'd think it's pretty inconsiderate to get annoyed at others about login/logout notifications when you have all the power to make them all go away in your own viewer settings.

Who said anyone was annoyed? I can't be considerate of others without advertising it? Is that what I have been doing wrong all these years? Ok then. From now on, whenever I am being so thoughtlessly considerate of others, I will broadcast it on all frequencies.

Whatever. Dude.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Who said anyone was annoyed? I can't be considerate of others without advertising it? Is that what I have been doing wrong all these years? Ok then. From now on, whenever I am being so thoughtlessly considerate of others, I will broadcast it on all frequencies.

Whatever. Dude.

.... Seriously?

The comment reads like a piggyback off of your own while calling the way such notifications function to attention.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Personally I'll remove people if I catch them hiding their online status to me. If they want to reach me, they have my contact card.

This is the reaction I'm by far the most familiar with, and I never quite understood it. Some people take it really personally, too.

7 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Whatever. Dude.

Speaking of taking things personally, I think you massively missed the point I was making.

What you're doing is fine, I was not criticizing/commenting on you at all. What I was saying is that, the other people you're being considerate towards should not need your help to "reduce the bombardment." If they are receiving so many login/logout notifications that it can be classified like that, there is an easy solution they can use that does not require any change of behavior or action from you or anyone else. I think the most considerate option is the one that affects the least people.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

2 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

This is the reaction I'm by far the most familiar with, and I never quite understood it. Some people take it really personally, too.

Speaking of taking things personally, I think you massively missed the point I was making.

What you're doing is fine, I was not criticizing/commenting on you at all. What I was saying is that, the other people you're being considerate towards should not need your help to "reduce the bombardment." If they are receiving so many login/logout notifications that it can be classified like that, there is an easy solution they can use that does not require any change of behavior or action from you or anyone else.

I apologize for misreading your post. The only excuse I have is it's Monday morning. I probably should go back to bed.

• Like 1

Just now, Wulfie Reanimator said:

This, I think.

One of the things I most hate about cell phones is that sense of being on-call, available 24/7. I turn my phone off sometimes: I need to feel, sometimes, that I can be solitary.

It's the same in-world. I'm an enormously social person -- I am almost never in-world for a spell where I am not talking to or meeting up with someone. But I really don't like this idea that I am, and should, be always available upon request. I need sometimes to feel that I have a block of time which is mine. Sometimes I use a "busy" or "Not available" message, and sometimes I just hide. I would hope that people not take that personally: it's not about them, but about me.

Similarly, I try not be intrusive when I contact others, because I don't want them to feel that I have them on speed dial, and that they absolutely must respond or I'll be insulted. Often, I'll just "wave" to someone, in recognition that, if they want to chat, they will, but that they may prefer not to respond. I'm totally cool with that: I get it. Others need time to themselves as well.

Really, it feels sometimes as though we've lost, in both RL and SL, the luxury of just being alone. And I don't like it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

One of the things I most hate about cell phones is that sense of being on-call, available 24/7. I turn my phone off sometimes: I need to feel, sometimes, that I can be solitary.

When I give out my cell number, I tell people that it is not attached to my hip and that I frequently do not hear it ring and forget to check it for hours at a time.  

I hate phones - always have.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1299 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.