World Map

Kylie Jaxxon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1072 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

No idea how much hope to invest here, but apparently there's rumor of a hint of possible prospects. Per @Inara Pey's blog:

WORLD MAP UPDATE

Also at the TPV Developer meeting, Grumpity supplied an update on the world Map tile generation situation:

I’M ALSO GOING TO DO A THING THAT IS AN ABSOLUTE TABOO AND I TOTALLY SHOULDN’T BE DOING; BUT WE’RE IN THE PROCESS OF PUTTING OUT UPDATES TO MAP GENERATION. SO FINGERS CROSSED, [THINGS WILL] GET BACK TO NORMAL. IT HAS TURNED OUT TO BE A MUCH BIGGER EFFORT THAN ANYONE HAD WANTED IT TO BE … WE WOULDN’T HAVE CHOSEN FOR THIS TO BE SO HARD.

Fingers crossed, @Grumpity Linden, fingers crossed indeed.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Current status is good. The only regions still showing major zoom problems are Northern Heterocera and Zindra. The maptile gaps for the Second Norway extension and the north-east of Bellisseria to Satori have been fixed, though there are a few glitches. This weekend's group trips should be workable over most of the Grid.

I am not expecting anything to change over the weekend.

5 hours ago, arabellajones said:

I am not expecting anything to change over the weekend.

There has been slow improvement. Some of the areas which vanished as you zoomed out are now visible for longer. It looks like more maptiles have been generated, and there may be some sort of caching done in the viewer.

• Like 1

It took a few hours for the fix to propagate through the viewer cache I guess, as this wasn't working for me before today, but now it is!

Wonderful news.  Thank you unknown programmer of Linden Lab.

In celebration I bought some more Linden Dollars (and beat the price hike)  9_9

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Anna Nova said:

It took a few hours for the fix to propagate through the viewer cache I guess, as this wasn't working for me before today, but now it is!

Wonderful news.  Thank you unknown programmer of Linden Lab.

In celebration I bought some more Linden Dollars (and beat the price hike)  9_9

Seems lightning fast too here. Long may that last !

• Like 1

On 4/17/2021 at 7:00 PM, Nika Talaj said:

New maptiles!  Zoom improving steadily!  This is delightful!

Thank you, nameless engineers who are working on this, and @Grumpity Linden for giving a heads up in the User Group, and @Inara Pey for reporting it in her excellent blog!

1155365124_dancingbaby.gif.1a40cfa32fa4ab6d4faa36f26dd749ea.gif

Maestro and Nat Linden are the engineers responsible :) , as noted on Twitter by Alexa Linden.

• Thanks 6

• 2 weeks later...

It seemed to be updating fine again every day until April 27th.  I know for sure that the current image in 4 regions is still from April 26th based on what is pictured, and the last modified date on the server confirms it for every region I've checked with these images:

https://map.secondlife.com/map-1-[global x]-[global y]-objects.jpg

such as https://map.secondlife.com/map-1-1000-1000-objects.jpg for Da Boom

Edited by Sayrah Parx

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2021 at 6:02 PM, Qie Niangao said:

Note that the location was originally assigned the name "Ursula 104" up until 7 June 2009, then it became "Zindra" between 17 June 2009 and 5 November 2011 when it was changed (after much controversy) to "Mosh South" which it remains.

Someone truly obsessed with Zindra history might investigate why "Ursula 104" was first surveyed 22 Jan 2009, but "Ursula 281" wasn't surveyed until three months later, on 27 April—whatever "surveyed" even means in that case.

Oh, this is interesting! (Please see this new topic about Zindra geography.)

(Later: Hm, should have noticed it’s the same topic… Sorry about the spam!)

Edited by 4lice Cerise
sry
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1072 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.