Your favorite photo editing program?

Doc Carling

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1117 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• 3 weeks later...

I use Corel Paintshop Pro (currently X19).  Good price and it does what  I need it to do. Unfortunately Corel now blocks installations of old versions even if you have your key codes etc. That was depressing as the older versions worked just fine. So it is a BIT like a subscription rather than buying software. 

And I had PhotoImpact from the original version 1 (1995 I think) and it was great.  Sorry to see it disappear. I think that last version is the only one that will run on Win10  -- or maybe it doesn't. I haven't had it on a computer in a few years. Does some things that no other software that I know if does :D.    

• Like 1

Without a doubt Photoshop is the most popular out there, but there's also a very good alternative software called Krita. There are unnoticeable differences between these two, and I highly recommend using it instead of GIMP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am excited to try out Krita. I cut my teeth on Photoshop in the early 2000s but have been using GIMP for the past few years and it has suited my needs just fine. From the articles I've read on it so far, I don't  think it does the same things as Gimp per se. I read it was a bit more like Illustrator, so its great for creating unique digital art  but not so much for retouching photographs which has been my focus with my snapshots so far. I think it will be fun to play with though in addition.

I don't typically do any intense photo editing, so I mostly still use an old version of Picture It! - some old Microsoft program that you can't even get anymore.  It handles what I usually need to do - touch up contrast/brightness, cropping, minor tweaks.   Every now and then, I'll fire up Gimp or PhotoScape.

5 hours ago, Tagar1k said:

Without a doubt Photoshop is the most popular out there, but there's also a very good alternative software called Krita. There are unnoticeable differences between these two, and I highly recommend using it instead of GIMP.

I hear the name Krita the first time. Shame on me. It looks very good. Well, I can recommend Affinity photo too. It has many photoshop features for an affordable price. No license. You own it. And updates are free.

Edited by Doc Carling
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I like to use photoshop and indesign. Mostly in photoshop then finishing in indesign (mostly for sizing and cropping and I like how the links tab shows what resolution I am working with in real time as I scale and crop a photo). I've been using them a well as other Adobe software since it was Creative Suite so it's what I am more comfortable with.

2 hours ago, Yuumo Ichibara said:

This might be an odd answer

I do find it odd, but, it appears to be fairly common still. Most of the people I know, who do photography / blogging in SL, say they use various browser editors. 

tenor.gif

ipiccy.com for sure, 100% is my favorite. It’s very fast and very easy to turn a average photo into a spectacular photo. Just go there and try it out, it’s real easy. Also the website you can green screen, mask, add texts, and other advanced things and again it’s made easy. Other than that, I like photoshop

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/22/2020 at 11:39 AM, WinTrain said:

Also the website you can green screen, mask, add texts, and other advanced things and again it’s made easy. Other than that, I like photoshop

The website uses Flash. Adobe will end support of Flash Player on December 31, 2020. And Microsoft is going to disable Flash in their Edge browser by default. Or has it already.  Firefox hasn't Flash implemented either. One has to install it manually. All in all Flash is considered as outdated technology. So I wonder how long ipiccy will exist in the current form.

• 1 month later...
On 11/12/2020 at 6:02 PM, Nalates Urriah said:

I'm an Adobe apps person.

I have used GIMP and Paint.NET (updated 10/2020). I think Paint.NET is closer to PS than GIMP is.

I've used Paint.net. IT works fine for me.  I also use Photoscape a lot.  

I found GIMP to be hard to use, so I gave up on it.

For quick edting I use pixlr.com  or Luna

I'm to cheap to buy PS.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I’ve been using Photoshop since version 1.0. Like most people there are parts of it I love and parts I hate. I pay my monthly ransom for the full Adobe suite, but I’m not above using other tools. One of PS biggest faults is it’s bloat, and though I will be the first to say that with skills you can do anything in the program, sometimes I feel like i’m steering the Queen Mary when all I need is sail boat. To that end I will often use affinity on both my iPad and desktop. Gimp is also a good tool. It’s got it’s own fair share of bloat, but you can’t beat the power for the price ratio. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1117 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.