Interesting Question About Our AV's and Friendships

Bagnu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1302 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For me avatar looks definitely play a big role in second life friendships.
My avatar represents what I live out in second life and a big part of why I'm here. I know this and have pursued it and am great with it. When I meet someone their looks tells me a whole lot about why they are in second life too. Is there a possibility to have in-world fun with them? .. shopping, dancing, chatting about common interests... having a good time. If they don't appreciate similar things looks wise we just are not going to have much in common to maintain a relationship in second life.
Not saying I haven't had some wonderful passing conversations with folks that are in system avies or avatars that are very extreme to me. Those don't turn into friendships though even if we friend each other.
Looks are usually the first stepping stone for me... of course there is more required to build an actual relationship than looks.

Edited by Cherylinn
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

why? it's common practice, have a look a the employment section, and in special your own branch .. mesh, good avi, good head, good AO,.... all requirements or you can forget it.

Because he was blatantly rude.  Yes we do have to look good, but some of my gf's only recently switched to mesh, but they did well.That's how they could afford to get the mesh!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bagnu said:

Because he was blatantly rude.  Yes we do have to look good, but some of my gf's only recently switched to mesh, but they did well.That's how they could afford to get the mesh!!!

i really don't mind how they got their money, but as long the industry forces/requires those standards, you should not complain about others speaking their mind about it. There are strong pro mesh users, and also strong pro standard users. Taking things as rude, doesn't mean it is. Speaking opinions is seemingly disaproved these days.

53 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

Speaking opinions is seemingly disaproved these days.

Speaking opinion is exactly what Bagnu has done too. The guy was of course free to feel how he felt and react the way he did, just as we're free to consider his behaviour rude and call him out on it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PixieGirrrrl said:

Speaking opinion is exactly what Bagnu has done too. The guy was of course free to feel how he felt and react the way he did, just as we're free to consider his behaviour rude and call him out on it. 

yes she can, and i don't really mind, but calling out because somebody else does speak his mind is hypocritical, because with doing that in fact is said he's not allowed to speak.

• Like 2

So getting back to the OP, no, looks don't influence my friendships.  Personality does, which comes from actual conversation.  Lookism in real life is bad enough, but to do that in a game?  with little cartoon people in it?  The absurdity of pixel snobbery would make me laugh if it wasn't so frequent.  Now, that said, avi appearance can certainly be an ice-breaker and conversation piece.  But even then, it's often from some silly object I'm wearing, like a paddleball that keeps loudly going "pppshhhkkwwwk!  pppshhhkkwwwk!  pppshhhkkwwwk!" with each hit of the ball, my alt teen girl who's got a crossbow that shoots miniature voodoo dolls of the more popular girls at school, or my all time favorite:  A paper bag to wear over your head, that upon clicking bursts into flames with a constant screaming sound effect.  Very fun to put that on and then run around frantically asking for someone to give you a glass of water.  But even though that's VERY visual, it's the common sense of humor that links me to folks I befriend from my silly stunts.  I find out quickly whether they have a sense of humor or not.

Also, what WILL cause me to not even bother with trying to engage with someone, isn't their appearance but rather their lack of a profile.  Having a blank profile, or nothing but a quote, or even worse an anti-social "f-you for looking here" one, is a red flag, indicating that either the person is so boring that even they can't write a paragraph about themselves, or they don't feel like making such a small effort effort to get to know people.  Neither is fun to talk to.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2020 at 7:27 PM, Bagnu said:

Do our AV's influence who we become friends with???  I have conflicting opinions on this.

Yes. it can.. for people are judgmental and will judge if they want to associate with you by how you look even in a virtual world.

some people hate furies with a passion and wont become friends with anyone that is a furry. 

some furies hate humans with a passion and wont become friends with anyone that is not a furry.

there is always going to be those like the two groups mentioned above that will have their particular desires on what a person should look like before they might consider even talking to you.

then you have profile pervs that read profiles and make choices based upon that too.

so your avi combined with your profile and your interests and picks can definitely affect if someone will choose to talk to you or be your friend or not.. oh lets not forget your groups.. that can turn some people on or off too.. because they will base if talking to you is worthy enough by if you have any groups in common or the themes of your groups fit their moralistic and ethical values.

show too many kinks or fetishs and you might make some turn away. dont show enough or the right kinds and you will turn some away. show the wrong kinds and you will turn some away.

'your too perv for them' 'your too deviant for them' 'your too abnormal for them'

'your too clean for them' 'your to vanilla for them' 'your to prudish for them'

so really its a combination of many things that can affect some people if they will even give you a chance or not.

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold
  • Like 1

On 8/7/2020 at 7:27 PM, Bagnu said:

Do our AV's influence who we become friends with???  I have conflicting opinions on this.

Of course they do. In SL, we can look the way we want to; our appearance is totally within our control. Therefore, it expresses more about us than RL appearance, which we cannot control nearly as much, does. There are plenty of avatars that I can glace at and know that I want nothing to do with. OTOH, looking attractive, in the sense of having an appearance that the observer thinks indicates that someone has the attributes they seek in friends, does not mean that the observer will like them once they become acquainted. But it does make it more likely.

• Like 1

There are some that will judge by looks just like in rl for some it can show a status of wealth.
That is not to say some choose on purpose to wear something to express, as an example a dolphin with mechanical legs and a headset in space yes!

Did i like it sure the look was much more interesting than a typical smooth looking mesh. Some forget we are also here to escape rl than to create a virtual rl.

I am still donning the system avatar :D

On 8/8/2020 at 5:57 AM, Bagnu said:

I would say yes, they do. (At least for me)

My avatar is asian, and I usually like to talk to asian avatars, that's my preference.

Everyone has their preference, and for some people it is based on the avatar looks.

• Like 1

I think the more important thing is how they are to you as an individual & wouldn't care even if they looked like a doodie with a party hat
because that's fun too 🤓

- Some can be direct and seen as rude perhaps that is cultural differences
- Some may be immature and lack the empathy
- Some could be stressed and frustrated and your on the receiving end

Majority of time i have experienced some good folks, often you get to meet a total **** **** but those folks are out there 👽

Appearance doesn't really matter to me in the grand scheme of friendship. I do have opinions on peoples' avatars, but I consider them irrelevant unless a person is seeking my advice or opinion. Maybe this is unusual for SL, but my method of making friends has always started with observing and interacting with others in local.  It's not that I am too shy to instant message avatars that I think are cool looking, but unless I have a specific question about something they are wearing, I just don't chat people up randomly no matter their looks. I do appreciate the time and effort people put into their avatar's look , but usually I find there is no correlation  between it and if we will get along. 

1 hour ago, Zeotetra said:

- Some can be direct and seen as rude perhaps that is cultural differences

Majority of time i have experienced some good folks, often you get to meet a total **** **** but those folks are out there 👽

Lol, I'm about as direct as you could get. I don't think my European background is responsible for that though lmao!!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

Lol, I'm about as direct as you could get. I don't think my European background is responsible for that though lmao!!!

To some directness can be seen as blunt, depends on the wording and the others perception.

i'll take your word for it 🤓

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/17/2020 at 5:47 PM, shiviex said:

I would say yes, they do. (At least for me)

My avatar is asian, and I usually like to talk to asian avatars, that's my preference.

Everyone has their preference, and for some people it is based on the avatar looks.

oh, same same my AV is inspired by kpop idols and I seem to attract and be drawn to other avis who have a similar look

I am fairly new (2 months) but my small circle is made up of mostly kpop fans and other like-minded koreaboos lol

not gonna lie, but I tend to avoid avis who are non-mesh or non-human no matter how nice and friendly they seem

• Like 1

11 hours ago, YuriaVodka said:

I tend to avoid avis who are non-human

This reminds me of one of my absolute dearest friends who I miss very much because he no longer comes to SL, In Sl he was a cat. A lot of very interesting people choose not to be human in SL

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Talligurl said:

This reminds me of one of my absolute dearest friends who I miss very much because he no longer comes to SL, In Sl he was a cat. A lot of very interesting people choose not to be human in SL

I don't care if an AV is human or not. Friendships are friendships!!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, YuriaVodka said:

not gonna lie, but I tend to avoid avis who are non-mesh or non-human no matter how nice and friendly they seem

So people prove with their behavior, that they are good, but you keep avoiding them, because they aren't plain human or not 100% mesh? 

Well... thats the most shallow mindset I have ever seen. Good, if my avatar apperance spares me this.

Edited by Syo Emerald
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Syo Emerald said:

I don't care what anyone's AV looks like. It's the person behind it that matters.

Av's do give us a glimpse of the other person's personality though. It's the mesh or non mesh which I find irrelevant.

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Syo Emerald said:

So people prove with their behavior, that they are good, but you keep avoiding them, because they aren't plain human or not 100% mesh? 

Well... thats the most shallow mindset I have ever seen. Good, if my avatar apperance spares me this.

Only ones I avoid like the plague are child avatars.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2020 at 4:04 PM, YuriaVodka said:

oh, same same my AV is inspired by kpop idols and I seem to attract and be drawn to other avis who have a similar look

I am fairly new (2 months) but my small circle is made up of mostly kpop fans and other like-minded koreaboos lol

okay first, i am pretty new too! and my friend circle is also full of people who are kpop fans and weebs 😀

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1302 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.