Interesting Question About Our AV's and Friendships

Bagnu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1292 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Depends on what prompts you to initiate contact...If you tend to message attractive avatars only and have some specific rule when it comes to how dated they should be in your presence, then sure, appearance will affect your circle of friends....

Avatar appearance (especially in SL) is a statement and not everyone will get it, but then again, not everyone should...I am not talking about attraction factor here, but the fact we broadcast some aspects of who we are...This alone, in my case, will never be enough, but it can help for sure...Same goes for profiles, they say something about each of us, even the blank profile is a statement...,I guess just like with any other tool, it`s how you use it?

Ultimately, we all end up surrounded with people who share our values, one way or the other...

• Like 1

On 8/7/2020 at 7:27 PM, Bagnu said:

Do our AV's influence who we become friends with???  I have conflicting opinions on this.

For me, I'm gonna say profile is more an influence than anything.. If someone IM's me, the first thing I do is pop that profile up just out of habit before even saying a word..

When I first came to SL, I came in with a bunch of friends and our avatars were so clunky as it was..When we were first rezzed we all looked like a clump of clay that some child molded into a female or a male..hehehehe

I rented a place that we all lived in.. Each one of us kind of took off in our own direction as to the communities we spent time in..

Some were furries, some were builders, some of us were dancers and so on.. but we kept living in that same house..

After about a year, I left but kept the rent up in that house..eventually everyone went their own way for good..

Watching each of my friends progress over time, plus getting my own ego humbled more than a few times in those first couple of years.. I tend to do the, pixels are only paint job thick, thing..

I do enjoy seeing what someone has done with their avatar, but for me, Profiles tell a lot more than an avatar does..

• Like 3

On 9/22/2020 at 5:13 AM, MaxMare said:

Depends on what prompts you to initiate contact...If you tend to message attractive avatars only and have some specific rule when it comes to how dated they should be in your presence, then sure, appearance will affect your circle of friends....

Avatar appearance (especially in SL) is a statement and not everyone will get it, but then again, not everyone should...I am not talking about attraction factor here, but the fact we broadcast some aspects of who we are...This alone, in my case, will never be enough, but it can help for sure...Same goes for profiles, they say something about each of us, even the blank profile is a statement...,I guess just like with any other tool, it`s how you use it?

Ultimately, we all end up surrounded with people who share our values, one way or the other...

I totally agree. We do end up surrounded by people who share our values.There can be variances of course. Some of my friends aren't sexual, but the majority are.

On 9/22/2020 at 11:24 PM, Ceka Cianci said:

I do enjoy seeing what someone has done with their avatar, but for me, Profiles tell a lot more than an avatar does..

I agree so much. Outside of actually carrying on a conversation, profile snooping will tell you so much more about a person than how well or unwell their avatar looks. That's why I don't judge based on avatars. As far as I know my future best friend could be wearing a newb avi! Profiles can tell you so much about a person's interests, hobbies, and sometimes their lives (RL or SL or both) and even their temperaments, as I've come across some angrily worded profiles before. How someone can so clearly manage to sound so angry in so many words is kind of impressive though, not going to lie. Profiles give you an inkling who you might click with, who you might want to avoid...but in the end only getting to know a person will let you know for sure if they are a positive in your life. You have to put yourself out there, and you might end up getting hurt, but normally it comes with a lesson or two. And, I will say this, trolls not withstanding, most of the cruelest people I've met on Second Life have been some of the prettiest aesthetically. Just sayin'. 

• Like 3

I agree with many of the words spent on this subject.
behind an avatar there is always a real person and does not always correspond to what it shows.
the appearance could be usefull the first meeting but you need a chat, or a profile, to understand something more.
so after reading so many comments i thought it was time to update my profile, it could be used to have some more friends as i am very shy and wary (even if it doesn't seem like it) 😎

Edited by manoji Yachvili
  • Like 1

What he have ignored is the effect of an AV's name. I feel initial attraction or repulsion based on that too. Of course it all becomes meaningless once I have met the person, but do we also start off with that? A name can express so much. I mean display name, not login name.

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bagnu said:

I mean display name, not login name.

Why only display name? The login name also tells me something about a person. Sometimes what initial purpose their account had (especially if their login name is a vulgar one) or how much care they took when signing up.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2020 at 11:58 AM, Syo Emerald said:

Why only display name? The login name also tells me something about a person. Sometimes what initial purpose their account had (especially if their login name is a vulgar one) or how much care they took when signing up.

It always bothered me,  back when we had last names especially, when people wouldn't capitalize their first name.  Now it those display names no one can read. Mostly I avoid both just on principle.

Edited by RowanMinx
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 9/28/2020 at 3:04 AM, RowanMinx said:

Now it those display names no one can read. Mostly I avoid both just on principle.

Yeah, what is that all about ?   I would rather not have any group name above mine never mind some rune script, or some such poop. 

Edited by Horus Salubrius
censor got me
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

If you change your group tag to "none" which is the first choice in the group list, your group tag will go away.

That was the very first question I asked when I logged in - how to get rid of the group name.

33 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

In case you missed it since you've been gone awhile

lol - confused indeed.  I came across the bit about having a display name, still don't see the need, just confusing to others, but whatevs.

1 minute ago, Horus Salubrius said:

That was the very first question I asked when I logged in - how to get rid of the group name.

lol - confused indeed.  I came across the bit about having a display name, still don't see the need, just confusing to others, but whatevs.

A lot of people, such as myself, use it when they partner to take on the same last names.  Others, just to have a last name.  We were all Resident before they stopped showing that all the time.  The fallout from doing away with last names.  We were all one big Resident family.

• Like 2

On 9/26/2020 at 11:58 AM, Syo Emerald said:

Some may have a purpose with their login name. I see some meaningless ones though. Mine certainly is. 

13 hours ago, Horus Salubrius said:

Not confusing, if used correctly.

I'm using one for my alt to make his name more readable, because thanks to stupid LL, I had to wiggle my way around every reasonable name under the sun being already taken and add something to it. But of course, thats now a string of one word in the username. The display name allows me to put a space inbetween, which makes it much more easy to read.

You and I are fortunate enough to have a first- and lastname from the old days, but newer accounts (everyone after 2010) hasn't been so lucky.

Edited by Syo Emerald
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Horus Salubrius said:

I came across the bit about having a display name, still don't see the need

I've had my main account for over a decade, people know/call me by my name (Nina) than the actual username I chose back then. Using a display name in this case would reduce confusion. (Disclaimer: my display name is Legacy.Name because fight the system!)

It's not much different than having a nickname.

What I don't generally understand is people getting upset when you don't call them by their display name.

5 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

I've had my main account for over a decade, people know/call me by my name (Nina) than the actual username I chose back then. Using a display name in this case would reduce confusion. (Disclaimer: my display name is Legacy.Name because fight the system!)

It's not much different than having a nickname.

What I don't generally understand is people getting upset when you don't call them by their display name.

Because some of us can't stand our usernames lol. It's only upsetting though if the person knows what we like to be called, but refuses.

On 9/20/2020 at 3:34 AM, YuriaVodka said:

oh, same same my AV is inspired by kpop idols and I seem to attract and be drawn to other avis who have a similar look

I am fairly new (2 months) but my small circle is made up of mostly kpop fans and other like-minded koreaboos lol

not gonna lie, but I tend to avoid avis who are non-mesh or non-human no matter how nice and friendly they seem

What a walking contradiction you are.

On 9/26/2020 at 8:58 AM, Syo Emerald said:

Good question. Some of us don't use display names as our logins were our "display" names before display names ever existed on the grid. In addition, many of the display names are not legible.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for display names, just not the ASCII characters. That was taking it too far. That's LL for you though. It's either too much or not enough. They never seem to be able to find the middle of the road.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1292 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.