Need Advice - Do You Like Strip-able or Not?

FairreLilette

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1364 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm currently making some bikinis and some could double for lingerie (if I get them done and am happy with them, that is - work-in-progress).

But, right now, I'm wondering how much SLifers like strip-able bikinis, lingerie or clothing and if I should add a strip-able capability that would work with a menu?

So, which one regarding strip-able clothing - Like or Dislike?   

I don't want to bother if not really used or liked.  

Edited by FairreLilette

I don't care that much for it. Unnecessary scripts and complexity. Just make separate attachments for different stages of undress, unless it's like a corset where you can turn the shirt beneath on or off by simply turning it transparent. 

That said, I do know that there are people who enjoy it. Mostly the kind of creeps who can't keep their cursors to themselves when someone wears a spanker. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I like stripable clothing, preferably in multiple stages.

BTW, also look into Project Clothing (it's by Caeil Resident) which has caught my eye but I have not yet had a chance to play with it. It adds wet/dry and dripping wich responds to SL water. It also responds to shifting clothes and more.
Again, I have had no chance yet to play with it, but the people that I have met who use it are quite enthusiastic about it. You can probably add some kind of support for that system if you wish. 

Edited by Fritigern Gothly
  • Like 2

@FairreLilette It seems that so far, most people say "yes, strippable,  but not scripted".

So, you have a few options here...

• You can include a scripted AND an unscripted version of the product in the same pack.
  • You could offer a separate scripted and unscripted version.
  • Those that don't like the scripted ones can yank the scripts out of a scripted version 🙂

• Like 3

Forums are such a bad representation of SL (well, no wonder, there's like 100-200 people at best who post often, while peak online lately is around 55k), so it's almost pointless to ask such things here. For example there's already 3 answers here caring about scripts, which is probably as much as I met in world for years.

Either way, I agree with Fritigern Gothly's points. Leave an option to remove scripts, either manually if item is mod, or if no-mod, then through menus, for those who cares about it.

And in my opinion, if clothing is strip-able at all, then it must be scripted. Whole point is to change (and allow others to) it easily, without having to find stages 1/2/3/4/5 in the inventory, remove one and put another, it eliminates whole purpose. And not every person who wears such clothing is running rlv or has online wardrobe setup for alternative ways to change it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, steeljane42 said:

Whole point is to change (and allow others to) it easily, without having to find stages 1/2/3/4/5 in the inventory, remove one and put another, it eliminates whole purpose. And not every person who wears such clothing is running rlv or has online wardrobe setup for alternative ways to change it.

Yes, this is what I really wanted for the lingerie to be allowed via a menu for someone else to have access to it.  

So, it's best to do both one with access, the other to just stand around and look pretty in it.  With lingerie, I thought it might be kind of odd just standing around and looking pretty in it.  I don't think anyone's SigOther, for example, wants a lingerie modeling show or where their sigOther is just standing around looking pretty in lingerie.   So, it got me thinking about the strip-able features I could add to it.  

I don't think I would do the stages though...it's just way too much work.  So, I'm going to start with just a remove by a click of whom the person allows access to it.  

I think the kind I'm thinking of would not be very laggy either.  

Edited by FairreLilette

I have a few things that are strip-able with an access list so only select people can click and strip you if you want and a non strip version is also included after the initial what do the strip stages look like curiosity i just wear the non-strip version as i don't really "entertain" or do things that would benefit from one of the strip stages. if something strip-able didn't include a PG version it wouldn't be a deal breaker if the strip mode could be made owner only

• Like 1

I suspect the answer to your question depends on where you ask. I agree with SteelJane. The forum is too small a sample size to go by.

The 55k people is the peak concurrent users for a day. Within a 24 hour day we will have something like 500k unique logins. So.... 200 forum-peeps / 500k active = 0.04%...

If you asked in in-world groups you would run into the same problem. Even widely read bloggers that pole SL people seldom get more than 200 or 300 responses.

About the only way to know is make one of each and see what sells the most. 

My guess is the Stripables sell. I see several people selling them. Still I suspect they are a niche in the market. The non-stripables are the majority of the clothing market.

As you can see several object to the script load. Obviously you need to make the scripts as lite as possible. Some may think to complain about polygon count. But, onion skin bodies are not that big a problem with most people. So, I wouldn't worry about it. Just make the meshes as low poly as possible.

Having them clickable is a thing. But, these days I practically have to tell a guy to click... I don't remember the last time someone actually clicked on one of my ... things. So, I am not sure how much that matters. Yet, it affects my buying decision. Eternal hope... you know.

Test the market and see... good luck.

12 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

I don't remember the last time someone actually clicked on one of my ... things.

... ... Scribbles something down on his to-do list.

I usually get curious about why my cursor changes when I hover it over someone, but I'll press Ctrl + Alt + T and inspect the attachment rather than clicking it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah I check people out with Ctrl-Alt-T too. I would think it would encourage clicks in certain scenarios. But... I doubt there are that many that know to check for hidden bits.

Back in the days of Xcite! it was common to get a popup from someone clicking... it was part of the flirtation and seduction. But in those days wearing 14MB of scripts wasn't a problem.

• Like 1

The forum crowd is not representative of the wider population, and tends to be far more hypersensitive around complexity and script load than most. Scripted stripables sell, and sell well. Demand is generally greater than supply in this area, and so stripable stuff gets snapped up quite fast.

Vanilla Bae is probably the major player in this field. I'd check out some of their stuff, particularly around their menu and the way they handle multi-stage stripable outfits.

• Like 1

My lady friend enjoys the multiple stages of undress.

Often it becomes a game between us to see who notices the "wardrobe malfunction" first after the other one has clicked. 

If it simply vanishes, that's no different than just detaching it, and just as boring. 

• Like 1

Speaking as a merchant who sells PG version of undergarments and an adult version of the exact same undergarments with multiple states for a fairly long time.

The PG ones represented about 1/3rd of sales by quantity. I sold the PG ones for 250L$ and the adult ones for 400L$. There's a healthy demand for clothing with adult features, which isn't that surprising giving that most of Secondlife's audience is adult.

Still, the PG ones do also sell there are definitely people who don't want adult content but it is a less profitable venture if you had to pick between the two.

I think people like undressing each other, seeing each others bodies and enjoying the clothes at the same time. It's kinda kinky ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

My lady friend enjoys the multiple stages of undress.

Often it becomes a game between us to see who notices the "wardrobe malfunction" first after the other one has clicked. 

If it simply vanishes, that's no different than just detaching it, and just as boring. 

Yeah, but I'm just a novice and it's a lot of work to do the stages.  But other, more advanced, creators should give this a thought, most definitely especially for lingerie because otherwise the person would just be standing around looking cute in lingerie and I don't know how many people want to do that - just stand there looking cute and sexy in lingerie.  

I think having the ability to remove it by someone (even if just a click) would be exciting and better than nothing.  It's giving up control to another in a dip your toe in the water kind of way.

Well, I'll have to think about the whole thing and the work involved.  

I love strippable! Not really for "in world use" but they are awesome for making pictures.

They where also quite popular among the ladies that used to work on my AFK sim back then, but I have no idea about that now as I closed about a year ago. But looking at the traffic at for example Vanilla Baea, I would say good quality strippables are still very much wanted. And honestly, good quality ones (visually) are still somewhat rare.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1364 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.