How to kid proof SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1411 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Me and my nine-year-old daughter were talking about virtual reality headsets and I brought up second life because I feel that would be the funnest place to use it. I showed her a couple videos about second Life on YouTube and now she really wants to play. I do think it would be very fun to explore SL with her, but we all know there are many many things in second life that are not for children. My question is - is it actually possible for me to explore the world with her in a kid-friendly fashion? I would hate for her to see something on there that she shouldn't see. I know that I can change her settings, I know that there are specific regions that kids are allowed. But do you have any other advice or tips and tricks on how to make sure that we don't run into any issues? Thank you guys in advance. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lvictoria said:

Me and my nine-year-old daughter were talking about virtual reality headsets and I brought up second life because I feel that would be the funnest place to use it. I showed her a couple videos about second Life on YouTube and now she really wants to play. I do think it would be very fun to explore SL with her, but we all know there are many many things in second life that are not for children. My question is - is it actually possible for me to explore the world with her in a kid-friendly fashion? I would hate for her to see something on there that she shouldn't see. I know that I can change her settings, I know that there are specific regions that kids are allowed. But do you have any other advice or tips and tricks on how to make sure that we don't run into any issues? Thank you guys in advance. 

Your daughter is far too young to use Second Life. All users must be aged 16 or over. From the Terms and Conditions:

6d5131149cb683e9dcfe6be90924b32c.png

• Like 12

Skell, Alwin, and Solar are quite correct.  I've reported any number of underage SL avatars myself. 

I will also say that Second Life doesn't support VR headsets.  If you want to do kid-friendly VR, try Minecraft. 

If you want to explore a non-VR headset virtual world with your daughter, try IMVU.

• Like 1

When people talk about regions being for children or child-friendly, they don't mean it's for real life children. It's for adults who either have a child avatar or like the whimsical side of things. Though those areas often are age-appropriate for a real child, Second Life as a whole is not. This is why it's not a safe space for real children. You could check an area and the build might be fine, but you have no control over the people who turn up or what might get built next door.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Extrude Ragu said:

SL is not kid proof it's mature in nature it's even in the ToS that all avatars must be 16 and up.

It does however bring up an interesting discussion point though. Should SL be made to allow for kids in a different and locked area of the grid? The old Teen grid was a good idea just badly managed. Bringing in a kids and teen grid again may prove more beneficial for everyone and also open more possibility with mobile potential as the demographics for mobile is generally kid to teen game wise.

For example the kids grid could be locked to a new Kid's maturity rating and in there allow them to utilise only the inworld creation tools and a kid/G rated updated system avatar that allows for better mesh as well as animal character creation. It would give them the chance to experience second life and building other than just 'minecraft'. Many of the premium and realm zones created by LL are also more targeted to a far younger generation than its regular adult users and therefore could like wise be utilised or new ones built.

Edited by Drayke Newall
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/6/2020 at 6:45 AM, lvictoria said:

I was thinking maybe she might just stay on your land and you can help her decorate it,  she can choose the house the furniture and decor items ( on the marketplace or from photos on sl seraphim from events),  and dress up her avatar with appropriate clothing , maybe get her a dog or cat to follow her but not really leave your land? Then she is not seeing the bad elements in the game but still has supervised fun. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Would you really want to break the Terms and Conditions by bringing in somebody underage?

Even if you keep her to your own parcel she is still going to be contactable by anyone, and STILL going to be against the T&C.

Play it safe, and as others have suggested, look elsewhere and more appropriate for her age.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sister Nova said:

Would you really want to break the Terms and Conditions by bringing in somebody underage?

Even if you keep her to your own parcel she is still going to be contactable by anyone, and STILL going to be against the T&C.

Play it safe, and as others have suggested, look elsewhere and more appropriate for her age.

I absolutely see your point but I was thinking what if  a mother and daughter are playing the game together on the same account? A mother is there providing protected supervision and not leaing a child by  herself  is that still  a violation of the terms of service?  You can set your land so that nobody can even see there are any avatars on there, or place it on  an island skybox away from everyone and don't allow any contact . 

2 minutes ago, Elinah Iredell said:

I absolutely see your point but I was thinking what if  a mother and daughter are playing the game together on the same account? A mother is there providing protected supervision and not leaing a child by  herself  is that still  a violation of the terms of service?  You can set your land so that nobody can even see there are any avatars on there, or place it on  an island skybox away from everyone and don't allow any contact . 

23 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

Your daughter is far too young to use Second Life. All users must be aged 16 or over. From the Terms and Conditions:

6d5131149cb683e9dcfe6be90924b32c.png

With the best will in the world, it is still against the rules. The post by Skell really does cover it without doubt.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sister Nova said:

With the best will in the world, it is still against the rules. The post by Skell really does cover it without doubt.

I would certainly not encourage anyone to break the rules, but I do agree with Drayke's idea of opening up a new restricted second life area to children. They are very creativei and  it would be fun to help them learn to create in the game , I think including them could bring a lot of fun to the game and take a restricted section of  second life into  a new child freindly direction. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Elinah Iredell said:

I would certainly not encourage anyone to break the rules, but I do agree with Drayke's idea of opening up a new restricted second life area to children. They are very creativei and  it would be fun to help them learn to create in the game , I think including them could bring a lot of fun to the game and take a restricted section of  second life into  a new child freindly direction. 

I don't believe children should be encouraged to be involved with Second Life at all. It - and other computer-based things - are too addictive and time consuming. Plus, all their school work is done on computers these days. They should be encouraged to be outdoors in the fresh air playing with friends a whole lot more, taken to parks, shown the big wide world, not encouraged to become basement dwellers! 

And even if Linden Lab did create a special little place just for children, it would need to be massively supervised by parents, and I doubt that would ever happen. I have seen far too many children just left to their own devices with devices, and too many parents believing their kids are safe just because they are indoors and in the next room to them (and I do not include the OP in this generalisation, as she seems to have been responsible enough to ask our opinions). 

This. Is. Just. My. Opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Elinah Iredell said:

The restricted area for underage users was provided before, and did not work so it was closed.

It would be a nightmare to try and moderate a restricted area. How would sign ups be vetted? How could you guarantee that child A's new friend 'B' was really a child? I'm pretty sure the Lab really wouldn't want to touch this with a barge pole.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1411 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.