Name Changes Contest Winners!

Keira Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1474 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

It was on the old legacy profiles. You had “resident” and your date of avatar birth and then in the same box it would say “premium”

might be you are may be remembering some time before mid 2006

i had a peek at Daniel Voyager's blog who is into posting articles about these kinds of things.  This blog post shows profile images for the years 2011 back to 2007

https://danielvoyager.wordpress.com/2011/07/03/look-back-at-previous-redesigns-of-the-second-life-profiles/

the wayback machine also shows a SL profile image for an account born 8/27/2006 but I haven't linked to it here as some of the person's groups are a bit nsfw

the 8/27/2006 like Daniel's 2007 shows Resident, Payment Info Used.

not sure if Daniel was a Premium member at time of the snapshots tho

edit add. I remember now what you remember.  I found it when I google on Teen Grid.  Back in the profile rating days there was a box on the right under date of birth which was labelled Account.  I don't ever remember that Account box saying anything other than Resident and Charter Member, but it might of said Premium

Edited by Mollymews
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Delenara said:

I guess they don't really want people to change the name with these options.  I will not be sending 40$, rather leave it as Resident 

the 8 names mentioned in the OP are just the names which won a prize in the last names competition

when Last Names do become available then there will be a whole lot more other names than just these 8 to choose from

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

the 8 names mentioned in the OP are just the names which won a prize in the last names competition

when Last Names do become available then there will be a whole lot more other names than just these 8 to choose from

Thanks, I didn't know that. Hopefully there will be less crazy options lol

• Like 1

Just now, Delenara said:

Thanks, I didn't know that. Hopefully there will be less crazy options lol

yes there should be

there will probably be at least 200 Last Names to pick from in the list at any one time, maybe more.  With fresh names added periodically.  That's how it used to work when there were last names before back in the day 

1 hour ago, Mollymews said:

i had a peek at Daniel Voyager's blog who is into posting articles about these kinds of things.  This blog post shows profile images for the years 2011 back to 2007

https://danielvoyager.wordpress.com/2011/07/03/look-back-at-previous-redesigns-of-the-second-life-profiles/

the wayback machine also shows a SL profile image for an account born 8/27/2006 but I haven't linked to it here as some of the person's groups are a bit nsfw

edit add. I remember now what you remember.  I found it when I google on Teen Grid.  Back in the profile rating days there was a box on the right under date of birth which was labelled Account.  I don't ever remember that Account box saying anything other than Resident and Charter Member, but it might of said Premium

No this was 07 when I joined. It vanished within a year or so but it very much so used to exist. 

7 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

No this was 07 when I joined. It vanished within a year or so but it very much so used to exist. 

i had Premium account on the main grid for 2 years 2006 to 2008 on my then account.  I will go with your memory of it tho.  The viewer number did change from 1.1x to 1.2x during this period so it may have got dropped then

Have to say, very disappointed with the choice of winners. Sour grapes on my part I know. But I won’t choose any of these. I want to choose my own last name, damn you LL. Maybe I entered too many times, but why no love for:

Mirage
Chimera
Cinnabar
Incognito (I mean, come on!)
MacGuffin
Telosian (a Star Trek reference)
Tumbleweed
Havana
Kashmir
Casablanca
Shaggybreeches
Zarathustra
Beelzebub
Methuselah  (a good one for us old-timers)

And there were more, so many more.

Now, I know they were never going to choose ‘PoutyMcPoutFace’ - but half of SL needs this name!

• Like 3

On 2/21/2020 at 6:12 PM, Keira Linden said:

Thank you to everyone who submitted entries to the Name Changes Contest!  We apologize that it took so long to announce the winners - but we had an overwhelming response (over 2400 Residents responded)! It was such a great list of names to go through, that it took just a bit longer than anticipated to whittle it down.  So, without further delay, I give you the first 8 (yes, 8. I couldn't narrow it down to just 5!) last names chosen for the list:

Conundrum
Dismantled
Huntsman
Littlepaws
Nova
Ravenhurst
Wumpkins
Yeetly

The winners have been notified via email, so if you suggested one of those names, be on the lookout for an email from me.  

Why not provide the ability for people to create their own last names instead of choosing from a list? 

Wumkins and Yeetly. Seriously? I was going to change mine but after seeing this list...nah. Most people go by display names anyways.

5 hours ago, Mollymews said:

Yes that thing. And it did say premium on the main grid. Not sure about TG as I was never part of it. It vanished around..08 I think. And weirdly since vanishing has been an often requested feature 😅

2 hours ago, Chrismaky said:

Why not provide the ability for people to create their own last names instead of choosing from a list? 

Wumkins and Yeetly. Seriously? I was going to change mine but after seeing this list...nah. Most people go by display names anyways.

did you even try to read any information about this subject before you posted?

• Like 2

And another thing! What's this business about name changes being half the price if you become Premium Plus? That might be a good deal, but we don't know what Premium Plus will cost, or what else it will offer, or when it will launch, if ever. So do we hold off on the name changes? For how long? I guess I'll wait until a last name I really like shows up. Or just forget about the whole thing for a while.

5 hours ago, Zipe Kirkorian said:

Have to say, very disappointed with the choice of winners. Sour grapes on my part I know. But I won’t choose any of these. I want to choose my own last name, damn you LL. Maybe I entered too many times, but why no love for:

Mirage
Chimera
Cinnabar
Incognito (I mean, come on!)
MacGuffin
Telosian (a Star Trek reference)
Tumbleweed
Havana
Kashmir
Casablanca
Shaggybreeches
Zarathustra
Beelzebub
Methuselah  (a good one for us old-timers)

And there were more, so many more.

Now, I know they were never going to choose ‘PoutyMcPoutFace’ - but half of SL needs this name!

These are amazing!! Want!!

4 hours ago, Chrismaky said:

I don't know if it still possible but LL used to offer custom last names primarily for RL corporations they weren't intended for individuals and cost $500 to set up and $500 a year to maintain 

While the winning list is a little disappointing i do hope all other submissions get used as last names i'm sure there'd be something more to your taste if they did

• Lindens
On 2/22/2020 at 12:42 AM, Garnet Psaltery said:

@Keira Linden That's an interesting group of names.  I especially like Littlepaws, which should be popular with Tinies. :)  Just a note on the posting though - it appears in Dark Mode as black text on charcoal, which is a bit hard to read.

Hi Garnet!

Sorry about that.  For some reason the posted bolded all my text.  Should be fixed now.  😃

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1474 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.