Name Changes Contest Winners!

Keira Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1446 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't personally find any of these names inspiring... but I also suspect that if I had submitted names no one would find my list inspiring...

Expect for one entry that I feel should be there:

[          ]

- type from 3 to 16 characters into the input field.

That's the only name I want to see on the list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Asadora Summers said:

I can't remember as to the reason why last names were replaced with Resident names. 

as Qie said, Beta members and Charter members got profile badges.  I don't remember Premium badges.  I only remember PIOF and PIU tags and Profile rankings

prior to June 2006 everybody got PIOF as we had to put some payment info (real info or not) in the account creation form.  PIU when the payment method was used.  After June 2006, payment info wasn't required to open an account so the absence of the PIOF tag - No Payment Info On File - on the account profile

i think that Premium badges were never introduced because we didn't/don't have to be a Premium member to own a private region, and private region ownership was the big revenue driver for Linden back in the 2006-2008 era, and still is

11 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

It was a pretty crap decision when Linden Lab took away last names. That should never have happened.  At the time, it caused a fair few of the oldbies to look down their snouts at anyone with the surname of Resident, and even now, to some extent, people without a last name are treated like second class citizens.

Second Life has disappointed me mostly because of how everyone started off as equals, and over time, it has turned out just like real life; with the same rat race going on.

But people are people. And avatars have people running them. 

It will no doubt be interesting to see who takes up what last name and how the rest of the world reacts to them. Maybe Linden Lab will gold edge their profiles too, just to make them extra special. 

Yes. I am bitter about this - not as much as I am going to come across in this post - but really, as I said before, the decision to take away last names and turn everyone into (first name) Resident, was one of the worst ones ever. 

Nailed it.

11 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

Actually, thinking back before my time, Linden Lab did used to run something of a popularity contest, a profile rating system. 

Only a few liked that damned thing but they were also the ones screaming the loudest when LL finally did the right thing and nuked it from space. It was nothing more than a popularity contest among what was then the "elite few" which made SL a negative place to be.

2 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

I don't remember that, but seems possible. A similar badge still distinguishes the beta members (notice the orange tag in the upper right of this profile) and I think also lifetime members or whatever they're called who very early-on paid extra for permanent premium and some perpetually tier-free allotment of Mainland (4096m² maybe?).

It was on the old legacy profiles. You had “resident” and your date of avatar birth and then in the same box it would say “premium”

All this last name stuff makes me wonder how much the older last names would be worth if they were sold via a LL introduced auction similar to their land one. I know LL don't allow this and is against the ToS, but there is a clause within it that allows a user to approach LL to ask if an account can be passed to someone other than when they die.

It would certainly be an interesting way to offer the older last names to people and fully run by LL (including them getting profit). The auction would allow a user to pass on (abandon them just like land goes to Governor Linden) unused accounts to people on the basis that if they are passed on this way the system deletes all of their content (if they had any) and the account goes to a default state. Another way would be that the last name gets transferred only to the buyer and the old auctioned avatar gets a default resident last name. 

For example I have an account I don't use anymore (and have never really used) that has the last name Snowpaw. It's just gathering dust and has been for years.

I know it wont happen but a curious thought as to the income it could generate LL.

Edited by Drayke Newall
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

I don't personally find any of these names inspiring... but I also suspect that if I had submitted names no one would find my list inspiring...

Expect for one entry that I feel should be there:

[          ]

- type from 3 to 16 characters into the input field.

That's the only name I want to see on the list.

I agree.... are those the only names available?

2 hours ago, BelindaN said:

What's with these barking mad names anyway?

I just don't compute it. Maybe I'm not geeky enough.

There was always a mix in the lists. There would be about 50 names available at any one time, and about half of them were actual RL names (some in languages other than English), and the other half were made-up names with varying degrees of ridiculousness. The ridiculous, made-up names usually resulted in the funniest combinations.

But I don't foresee many people paying $40 for funny.

On 2/21/2020 at 6:12 PM, Keira Linden said:

Wait-- so this wasn't a joke I saw on Facebook?!  Those options were so horrible, I had to come look to see if they were joking, and sadly, they weren't joking?!  These actually WON?!  Someone would ACTUALLY pay $40 to change their name to something like "Wumpkins" or "Dismantled"?!

OMG... Glad I cancelled my Premium Memberships for me and my wife.

Conundrum
Dismantled
Huntsman
Littlepaws
Nova
Ravenhurst
Wumpkins
Yeetly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1446 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.