Name Changes Contest Winners!

Keira Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1466 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, FredrickF said:

My wish is LL would take the suggestions and put them in the drop downs what didnt win

I have absolutely no doubt that just about every name submitted that can be allowed to be a last name will make it into the list eventually.  They said over 2400 residents responded. Even if each person only submitted one name -- which we know they didn't -- it will still take many, many list rotations to get through that many names.  

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
spelling, of course

6 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

I think anyone who would pay to have a last name is an absolute Wumpkins. But the sheeple will do it. 

Sheeple Wumpkins

orrrrr!

Absolutely Wumpkins

even better !

i quite like them  😸

Quite Wumpkins

like: Hellooo! How are you today ?? 

I am quite wumpkins thanks!  

Edited by Mollymews
ly
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

Sheeple Wumpkins

orrrrr!

Absolutely Wumpkins

even better !

i quite like them  😸

Quite Wumpkins

like: Hellooo! How are you today ?? 

I am quite wumpkins thanks!  

I like you. 

I think you are the type of person that, when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade :) 

Bumpkins Wumpkins

Mumpkins Wumpkins

Wankings Wumpkins

Sunday Wumpkins

Earlymorning Wumpkins

Yep, it has it's merits.

Still wouldn't pay to have a last name though. But then, only because I didn't have to when I joined. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Still wouldn't pay to have a last name though. But then, only because I didn't have to when I joined. 

i am in two minds about it myself

i will wait and see what there is and decide at the time

what I really want to do is change my name from Mollymews Resident to Molly Mews

but seems like is not going to be possible at this time, even if Mews is on the last name list.  As Molly Mews resolves to the same name as Mollymews (Resident) from what I have read so far. As it seems we can't change to a name that is or has already been used

it might be possible one day to do this, hopefully. Sooner rather than later hopefully, if not now. As there are I think quite a few people who would do this with their existing Resident names if they could

in the meantime I think will be some people go with a last name from the list.  Probably a few more I think when people buy the Premium Plus package which,  from what Linden indicated the other day, seems to include a half-price discount over the Premium name change. About $20 instead of $40 for Premium Normal package it seems. Which in the context of any Plus package kinda fits.  Like buy Premium Plus for some $X. Or pay $X plus $20 say.  Depending on $X then it may be kinda worthwhile to that person 

2 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

i am in two minds about it myself

i will wait and see what there is and decide at the time

what I really want to do is change my name from Mollymews Resident to Molly Mews

but seems like is not going to be possible at this time, even if Mews is on the last name list.  As Molly Mews resolves to the same name as Mollymews (Resident) from what I have read so far. As it seems we can't change to a name that is or has already been used

it might be possible one day to do this, hopefully. Sooner rather than later hopefully, if not now. As there are I think quite a few people who would do this with their existing Resident names if they could

in the meantime I think will be some people go with a last name from the list.  Probably a few more I think when people buy the Premium Plus package which,  from what Linden indicated the other day, seems to include a half-price discount over the Premium name change. About $20 instead of $40 for Premium Normal package it seems. Which in the context of any Plus package kinda fits.  Like buy Premium Plus for some $X. Or pay $X plus $20 say.  Depending on $X then it may be kinda worthwhile to that person 

It was a pretty crap decision when Linden Lab took away last names. That should never have happened.  At the time, it caused a fair few of the oldbies to look down their snouts at anyone with the surname of Resident, and even now, to some extent, people without a last name are treated like second class citizens.

Second Life has disappointed me mostly because of how everyone started off as equals, and over time, it has turned out just like real life; with the same rat race going on.

But people are people. And avatars have people running them. 

It will no doubt be interesting to see who takes up what last name and how the rest of the world reacts to them. Maybe Linden Lab will gold edge their profiles too, just to make them extra special. 

Yes. I am bitter about this - not as much as I am going to come across in this post - but really, as I said before, the decision to take away last names and turn everyone into (first name) Resident, was one of the worst ones ever. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Maybe Linden Lab will gold edge their profiles too

i really hope this never happens

Premium account gold badges on profiles, as a vanity tag. What's next ?  Gold with bar badges for Premium Plus.  Platinum badges for region owners. Diamond badges for estate owners. Loot badges for the top 20 product sellers this month  ?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

Premium account gold badges on profiles, as a vanity tag. What's next ?  Gold with bar badges for Premium Plus.  Platinum badges for region owners. Diamond badges for estate owners. Loot badges for the top 20 product sellers this month  ?

Actually, thinking back before my time, Linden Lab did used to run something of a popularity contest, a profile rating system. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

there are many forums, games, dating sites, chatboxes .. using that, for the people who like it great.. the ones that don't like it?.. don't play that ranking game.

2 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

It was a pretty crap decision when Linden Lab took away last names. That should never have happened.  At the time, it caused a fair few of the oldbies to look down their snouts at anyone with the surname of Resident, and even now, to some extent, people without a last name are treated like second class citizens.

Second Life has disappointed me mostly because of how everyone started off as equals, and over time, it has turned out just like real life; with the same rat race going on.

But people are people. And avatars have people running them. 

It will no doubt be interesting to see who takes up what last name and how the rest of the world reacts to them. Maybe Linden Lab will gold edge their profiles too, just to make them extra special. 

Yes. I am bitter about this - not as much as I am going to come across in this post - but really, as I said before, the decision to take away last names and turn everyone into (first name) Resident, was one of the worst ones ever. 

I can't remember as to the reason why last names were replaced with Resident names. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Asadora Summers said:

I can't remember as to the reason why last names were replaced with Resident names. 

Marketing. Or more precisely, clickstream analysis of the new resident sign-up process: Reportedly it showed that a huge number of the folks who started out making an account gave up when they had to select from a group of last names. (Of course there are other plausible explanations for that result.) Maybe they had more data too, like from focus groups or something, that showed it would be just fine to give users the ability to assign themselves a single name (without a space character). Plus "Display Names" to add flexibility and as many space characters as one could want. But I doubt they expected the blowback from having accidentally creating a sort of second class of residents.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mollymews said:

I have a jam tart brooch I can wear as a badge. :D 

Jam Tart Brooch.jpg

p.s. I made it in 2011 for myself.  It's not for sale, even if someone wants it. :D 

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

Actually, thinking back before my time, Linden Lab did used to run something of a popularity contest, a profile rating system. 

it got dumped in about 2007 I think.  Used to be able to down vote people. Which is why it got dumped

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I have absolutely no doubt that just about every name submitted that can be allowed to be a last name will make it into the list eventually.  They said over 2400 residents responded. Even if each person only submitted one name -- which we know they didn't -- it will still take many, many list rotations to get through that many names.  

I agree because it's the easiest way for LL to manage it. 

13 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

9 minutes ago, Shaniquaa69 said:

I agree because it's the easiest way for LL to manage it. 

I agree three.  One job LL doesn't have to do again if residents will.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mollymews said:

We used to have exactly, sort of, that. When you purchased premium years ago you got a profile tag that said “premium”.

47 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

We used to have exactly, sort of, that. When you purchased premium years ago you got a profile tag that said “premium”.

I don't remember that, but seems possible. A similar badge still distinguishes the beta members (notice the orange tag in the upper right of this profile) and I think also lifetime members or whatever they're called who very early-on paid extra for permanent premium and some perpetually tier-free allotment of Mainland (4096m² maybe?).

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1466 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.