Unpopular opinions

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1611 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Ah, that's true but only if it's boiled to a mushy pulp, which is a ghastly fate for any vegetable. Asparagus should be steamed, and only to the point where it starts to become limp enough to puncture with a fork. Properly cooked and then served with lemon juice, vinegar, or hollandaise sauce, it's quite tasty and definitely un-okra-like.

Eggplant, on the other hand ....  🤐

I shall have to give asparagus another whirl at some point. Aubergines I like, in a moussaka. I cannot think that I have had them elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Nerp. Hot dogs wrapped in a flakey pastry and baked are Pigs in a Blanket.

pigs-in-blanket_recipe.jpg

Those are sausage rolls.

I can see we're going to have to have a good sit down about biscuits, cookies, crisps, chips and pants...

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Those are sausage rolls.

I can see we're going to have to have a good sit down about biscuits, cookies, crisps, chips and pants...

I know what biscuits, cookies, crips and chips are in the UK and what they are in the US. They are either the opposite (biscuits and cookies) or completely different.

Hot dogs are not a sausage. You really don't want to know what is in them.

Pants? I don't think I wanna know...

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Hot dogs are not a sausage. You really don't want to know what is in them.

I swear that I have never been moralistic or superior about being vegetarian, ever...

...except for the Tesco horsemeat scandal. I did actually buy some Tesco sausages quite some months ago, though. Aaaaand they're off...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Horse meat scandal?

I don't get what people are complaining about.

Horses are neighingly good.

... And that sounds better in Swedish.

Gnäggande gott!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Orwar said:

Horse meat scandal?

I don't get what people are complaining about.

Horses are neighingly good.

My carnivorous friends told me that they weren't so bothered about eating horse, as much as they were bothered about eating horse that they were told was cow. It's all the same to me.

Just now, Amina Sopwith said:

My carnivorous friends told me that they weren't so bothered about eating horse, as much as they were bothered about eating horse that they were told was cow. It's all the same to me.

Well, yes. Being served something that isn't on the tin isn't just immoral, but illegal, and certainly does put the producers' and distributors' integrity into question. But at the same time, if you're buying industrially produced lasagna from a big brand who outsource their production to companies abroad and barely put any proper ingredients even on the actual ingredient list to begin with, you pretty much get what you pay for. It's not unheard of for factory produced foods to contain traces of everything from soil and insects to human seed and teeth, it being the 'wrong farm animal' appears a minor inconvenience in the bigger picture.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gregorian Chant said:

I take your gummy worms and raise you casu marzu (Sardinian worm cheese).

I love it, Gregorian! The maggots don't bother me, but the bacteria they might harbor does. I'd probably avoid that cheese unless it's in something well cooked.

A few years ago, I got a some white, hulless popcorn from a local Amish farmer. While preparing to pour it into my popcorn container, I noticed a li'l wiggly fella poking trough the plastic bag. I put him under my microscope and identified him as a pantry moth larvae. Wanting to know what fraction of the kernels were infested, I counted and weighed 50 kernels, then poured about 500 kernels worth of corn into a glass dish. I poured a mix of isopropyl alcohol and water into the bowl and waited to see who popped out.

Here's the result, about 40 of 'em...
662631941_CornBugs.thumb.jpg.de3b08a3fec0102c84e99b6dcea0d4e2.jpg

8% wastage didn't seem too bad. To prevent the remaining larvae from morphing into pantry moths, I microwaved the entire batch for a couple minutes. Although cooked bugs aren't an issue for me, it was unlikely I'd end up eating any because infested kernels, with punctured hulls, don't pop. This particular batch was, I think, more delicious than average!

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1611 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.