Unpopular opinions

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1551 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

21 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

How does heart taste? What's the texture compared to just regular cut of beef? I just saw beef heart for sale at the grocery store and was surprised by how large it was.

It tastes like meat really, like eating a skirt steak...it’s just a little more chewy than regular meat. 

what I do is cube it up and salt it.  Throw some flour on and brown it. Chop up my veggies and herbs (thyme and rosemary) throw it all in a crock pot with some red wine. 1) your house is going to smell fantastic. 2) let it slow cook overnight, by the time you’re ready to eat it the next day, you wouldn’t know it was beef heart unless some one told you. 3) it’s super easy to make and it’s really like a comfort food in the winter.

• Like 2

Just now, Eva Knoller said:

I’m an aspiring vegetarian. This week I made it as far as pescatarian. I really like salmon, so it’s a struggle. 

Well done. It's very hard sacrificing food you enjoy. It helps to have a lot of cookbooks and new recipes to try so you don't feel deprived. If you get veggie cookbooks for different cuisines, eg Indian, Chinese etc, you have more variety too. Green leafy veg and linseed/olive/hempseed/rapeseed oil will get you your omega 3. 

Unpopular opinion continued: I think most people should eat less meat and try to be closer to eating locally sourced, in season foods. Including myself, for the latter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Ohhh I am so hungry right now. The Yorkshire curd tart is so fantastic too. 

Still with savoury though, can anything beat ...

BLACK PUDDING? ! :D 

English food always sounds considerably less delicious than it no doubt is. 

• Haha 1

On 1/23/2020 at 10:43 AM, Selene Gregoire said:

Oh. I see.....

So, it is and it isn't what I meant and I apparently confused myself when I read your post at 1 am. I wasn't thinking clearly and I should have waited until this morning and reread your post. Sorry about that.

aha! I find it's easy to get confused at that hour. 🥰

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

How did we get from unpopular opinions to unpopular foods?

Quite simply, because it's all pretty much the same.

15 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

Explain why grits sounds like it should be something solid and crispy, but it is just mushy stuff?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

I don’t know what bubble and squeak is but sounds like a bath toy. 

It's the leftover veg from your Sunday roast, all mixed up with the leftover potato (roasted or mashed) and fried together. I made extra veg on Christmas Day so I could do bubble and squeak on Boxing Day. Delicious and veggie with a lovely name that comes from the sound it supposedly makes while cooking.

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

I'll avoid references to spotted d*ck as nobody actually makes that now or even knows what it is, though we do joke about it. But our government is most definitely an Eton mess.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Marigold Devin said:

Ohhh I am so hungry right now. The Yorkshire curd tart is so fantastic too. 

Still with savoury though, can anything beat ...

BLACK PUDDING? ! :D 

The absolute king of black pudding is from Stornoway. All other black puddings bow in shame to this absolute supreme delicacy, best eaten at breakfast with smoked bacon, poached eggs, tomato, mushroom, hash browns, brown sauce..........and sometimes haggis.

Edited by BelindaN
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Ok, so I know I'm veggie, but black pudding? I can understand why someone might want a crispy bacon rasher or a burger, but cooked blood held into a solid by a few extra bits? Really? Why? 

The taste is extraordinary. Forget what's in it, but only the best.

Maybe I'm a vampire.

• Like 1

Just now, BelindaN said:

The taste is extraordinary. Forget what's in it, but only the best.

Maybe I'm a vampire.

It's the only explanation that makes sense. And given how popular it is...Perhaps I should go back to wearing a crucifix.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Ok, so I know I'm veggie, but black pudding? I can understand why someone might want a crispy bacon rasher or a burger, but cooked blood held into a solid by a few extra bits? Really? Why? 

It's a throwback to caveman times I expect. A texture and taste thing. Something extra good about this being crisped up in a frying pan, lovely with mushrooms, although it's nice in it's own way just eaten as a cold slice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1551 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.