Unpopular opinions

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1551 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Welp... you know what you just did? Yep. Made an ass of yourself.

/me runs

I spent the first 40 years of my life in the Deep South.

034700844107_CF___JPEG_3.JPG

pickled-okra-horiz-a-1600.jpg

Well the canned stuff is disgusting, not unlike canned spinach— but the jars are delicious crunchy PICKLED okra. 

• Like 1

Omg,mayo is just so bad for you! \o/

The picture I posted I thought was more about Ketchup on any pasta,like those terrible red sauces made with Ketchup,rather than actual homemade red sauce..

Macaronis and cheese made the right way for my boys is, baked in the oven and made with most of the ingredients coming right from our farm..

If I gave them boxed mac and cheese,I'd have a revolt on my hands..hehehehe

• Like 1

On 1/21/2020 at 4:58 PM, Pixie Kobichenko said:

If all the games in the forums need to be moved to their own little sub-forum I don’t see a problem with that. But I also don’t think that the games stop  anyone from clicking to a second page to see if there’s other threads they want to comment on that might possibly been pushed down because of the games.

Just to say: I have only clicked onto the second page a handful of times, and yes the games push other threads to the 2nd page, and I know that. So... um... yeah... the games stop at least one person from clicking to the second page. Yes, I'm just that lazy. It's a gift.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

the jars are delicious crunchy PICKLED okra. 

I'm afraid I agree with @Matty Luminos about okra, although I admit that I haven't ever lived in a part of the country where it's commonly on the menu.  I think if I ever developed a taste for it, though, it might be as pickled okra. I like almost anything pickled .... beets, artichokes, gherkins, beans, herring .... and I'm not very excited about most things that are fried.  (Although there are local restaurants on the Lake Michigan shore in Michigan that serve wonderful fried asparagus.)

I can't believe I just read this entire thread in one sitting. This is a great testament to how strongly I feel about work avoidance today.

Things I have learned from this thread:

• Apparently I am a points whore (can we use that word?) because I post to the What Does Your Avatar Look Like thread. I had no idea I was doing that just to garner some kind of points. I thought it was because I like taking photos and hate Flickr. If I play one of those games or post in the what are you ____ today threads, I am also doing it just to get points. I thought it was because I was bored. This thread is so educational for me!
  • If you used to post to the old forum you are part of a clique who all agree with each other, and will gang up on outsiders to protect the clique. This really took me by surprise. I failed to get the memo, again. Isn't this a continuation of the FIC?
  • You folks don't know that the best pizza is a thin crust, wood-fired, with figs and prosciutto and provolone as topping (no red sauce).
  • What you should have learned in Europe is that fries taste best when dipped in sour cream, not mayo. 
  • You should have also learned that ice added to all drinks is just weird.
  • If everyone feels like an outsider, doesn't that just make us all the cool kids?
  • Bree likes starting OPs that are sure to end with a lot of, dare I say it, acrimony. (The FIC remember that reference.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I'm afraid I agree with @Matty Luminos about okra, although I admit that I haven't ever lived in a part of the country where it's commonly on the menu.  I think if I ever developed a taste for it, though, it might be as pickled okra. I like almost anything pickled .... beets, artichokes, gherkins, beans, herring .... and I'm not very excited about most things that are fried.  (Although there are local restaurants on the Lake Michigan shore in Michigan that serve wonderful fried asparagus.)

Okra is a kind of Shibboleth — if you don’t like it, you could be from either north or south, but if you do like it, you are either from the south or have moved there and assimilated. Only about twelve people from the north eat it.

Or I could be wrong since I just made that up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

What you should have learned in Europe is that fries taste best when dipped in sour cream, not mayo. 

No. Chips should be served with salt and vinegar. If you want a creamy dip, it should be blue cheese, goat cheese or pepper sauce.

As for my unpopular opinions ... Hm. Hard to say, really. I hate a lot, and a lot of people are offended when what they like isn't liked by others, because apparently that makes sense and is totally mature.

People with 'inspirational quotes' plastered all over should be waterboarded until they snap out of it and realize that we aren't living in some feel-good rom-com universe, but in a reality where the universe is completely indifferent, if not hostile, to our existence.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Orwar said:

No. Chips should be served with salt and vinegar. If you want a creamy dip, it should be blue cheese, goat cheese or pepper sauce.

When it is fish and chips, I agree: salt and vinegar. Malt vinegar.  When the fries are a side to something other than fried fish, then, nope, gotta go with the sour cream (I believe that was Switzerland and/or Germany for that one). Although I think the blue cheese and pepper sauce sound better than the mayo and ketchup respectively. (And I actually like ketchup.)

• Like 2

Malt Vinegar I love..

Apple cider vinegar is what I use for a lot of things I jar..Especially Cayenne and Banana peppers..

If I forget to have a jar of those on the table at every meal, the meal can't start..That's not my rule,That law comes from the other end of the table..hehehe

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

Or I could be wrong since I just made that up. 

It makes too much sense. My daughter lives in North Carolina, but I can count the number of times I have been south of there for more than a week at a time on the fingers of one hand. And my daughter does not serve okra. She evidently has not been assimilated.  Or North Carolina isn't far enough south.  Or we're related.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:
  • What you should have learned in Europe is that fries taste best when dipped in sour cream, not mayo. 

I respect your opinion, but your opinion is wrong :P the correct answer is indeed mayo, but ideally not some supermarket bottle nonsense. Belgian style mayo - if the recipe doesn't involve mustard, it's wrong - is the way to go here.

5 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:
  • You should have also learned that ice added to all drinks is just weird.

I use whiskey stones for almost all cold drinks I have at home. Don't care if people judge me, I know I'm right here. Only exception is tap water... for obvious reasons.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

Y'know, tomato relish/chutney is nicer than ketchup.

How's this as an unpopular opinion:

Ketchup is the most overrated condiment or food of any kind.

The taste is garbage, it's somehow simultaneously bland and overly-sugary, and it makes everything it touches taste worse. We're stuck in this sort of cultural sunk cost fallacy loop, where everyone is convinced that everyone else loves this garbage and so goes along with it to fit in. It's madness. And for every single dish that people use ketchup with, there are a solid half dozen + alternatives that are objectively better.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mollymews said:

at my local takeaway shop then the dip selection with chips (fries) is:

bbq sauce
blue cheese mayo
chilli sauce
chipotle mayo
chipotle salsa
cranberry sauce
garlic mayo
sour cream
sweet & sour mayo
sweet chilli mayo
tomato sauce

the chips themselves come in:
cajun
lemon pepper
plain

and salted or unsalted

a story. I went with a pretty elderly relative one time. He spends like 5 minutes carefully considering all the flavours his chips could be mixed with. I have a little standing up nap while he is doing this. Then he says to the server person: Would it possible please if I could get vinegar on my chips. I do like vinegar on chips.  The server went: I get the manager. Manager comes to the counter: Vinegar eh! For you sir, we have vinegar

which was pretty cool of the manager to do that

Ah good old vinegar, the condiment of kings :) Has to be Sarsons in our house, although I am unsure why this brand is particularly good. It just seems to have more DoF (depth of flavour!). 

When I lived in Hull, there was a rather marvellous burger joint that had the best range of sauces and condiments, including some of those you have listed there. The blue cheese one was my favourite. This was the first time also that I had come across something called "chip spice", which heard in a Hull accent made it sound all the more appealing.  It was very salty. I think there must be a high death rate from strokes and heart attack in Hull.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

Okra is the only vegetable I can't bear to eat.

It makes its own mucus. 🤮

Asparagus is very like okra, and that is the only thing I will never ever eat again. Even as a soup it is .....

.... no, I had to run and wretch just thinking about it. /me shudders

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rasterscan said:

I can't help loving ketchup, is it so very wrong of me ?

Well, as this thread is all about unpopular opinions, you might be ruffling some people up with such a controversial statement, but I think context is key, and ketchup has it's place. 

Not on my brother's most delicious home made lasagne though. He literally kicked his friend up the backside when he asked for ketchup for it.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1551 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.