Those crazy neighbors...

Trinity Blakewell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1475 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Mitch Merricks said:

You can also find a very handy Builder-grid-texture in the market place like this one:

Rez a prim, make it 10 x 10 wide, then drop the texture on it (texture ratio should be 1 to 1). For a larger size, edit the prim, (un-check stretch texture), then stretch prim to desired size (like your borders).

Basic.JPG

THAT is what I was looking for the other day. I got at NCI back in 2009... and it's not there anymore. I have it, it's fullperms, but I didn't know if it was allowed to hand out...

And that made me look...

Please note that the actual author of that item gives it out here:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Basic-Builders-Grid-Texture/8534776

• Like 2

I doubt that any of us know how many Lindens there are in the Governance team or how many ARs they have to process daily.  A handful are the really serious, high-priority ones that involve theft, griefing, etc.  I hope that they always move those ones to the top of the stack.  Out of the rest, I suspect -- I really hope, actually -- that most of them are pretty trivial things that can be dealt with easily. And then there are ones that are not top priority but will take time to resolve because they involve going in world and doing some investigation or remediation. If Bellisseria residents are submitting a pile of ARs about covenant violations, many of them are going to lie in that last category.  Depending on the size of the Governance crew, it might take a while to handle all of them.  There are just too many unknown factors for us to figure out what a "normal" response rate ought to be, especially as Bellisseria gets bigger and people are being more diligent about watching for violations.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mitch Merricks said:

You can also find a very handy Builder-grid-texture in the market place like this one:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Basic-Builders-Grid-Texture/4658061       Rez a prim, make it 10 x 10 wide, then drop the texture on it (texture ratio should be 1 to 1). For a larger size, edit the prim, (un-check stretch texture), then stretch prim to desired size (like your borders).

Basic.JPG

24 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

THAT is what I was looking for the other day. I got at NCI back in 2009... and it's not there anymore. I have it, it's fullperms, but I didn't know if it was allowed to hand out...

And that made me look...

Yeah, as Pussycat mentions, the grid texture is free at link she gave.   I picked it up for free inworld at one of the newbie building places many years ago.  The person selling it just went on my 'bad sellers' list.   I don't like to encourage folks to sell the misc items that have been free across the grid for a long time.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

And that made me look...

Thanks Pussycat & LittleMe, I'll update my link!

Edited by Mitch Merricks
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mitch Merricks said:

Thanks Pussycat & LittleMe, I'll update my link!

Another good thing is now that I've found the original one on marketplace - made by the person who was giving it out back when I got it in 09 (Carl, who used to run NCI), I see Carl also says we can redistribute it on his listing... so now I can pass that around when helping folks.

So...

I modified it to inverted and grayscale color scheme

8244f38e31e59ca9cd83422acc4d7e73.jpg

And I snuck that inside some of my freebies, as well as put it up for free under the identical license as the original.

Two more variations:

875676befe1b4b03aa879f37640305b5.jpg

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Basic-Builders-Grid-Decimeter-Scaled-Inverted-Grayscale/18775232

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

question,, in trying to do a wrap around porch    how do you do the one end piece ,,,, i have been using a flat prim  it worked with the camper but for the house it looks kind of choppy  ....  what type do i use the triangle   or what ,,,, it is prims ,,,, i want to replace the flat prim with one that makes the roof look finished , the two opposite  roof pieces are triangle  roof_001.thumb.png.54f5adbcfad69b0f973b6af8525edb8a.png

Edited by roseelvira

1 hour ago, roseelvira said:

question,, in trying to do a wrap around porch    how do you do the one end piece ,,,, i have been using a flat prim  it worked with the camper but for the house it looks kind of choppy  ....  what type do i use the triangle   or what ,,,, it is prims ,,,, i want to replace the flat prim with one that makes the roof look finished , the two opposite  roof pieces are triangle  roof_001.thumb.png.54f5adbcfad69b0f973b6af8525edb8a.png

To do a roof corner like below start with a cube, Taper both X and Y to 1 to turn it into a pyramid, then Top Shear X and Y to -0.5 (or whatever combination of +0.5 and -0.5) to slant it in the needed direction.  To texture the sides I switched Mapping to Planar otherwise the texturing was skewed.

2122114727_RoofCornerPrim_001.thumb.png.d46275fbef0d79f23a8d5a4f6b9b82f6.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 9

4 hours ago, roseelvira said:

question,, in trying to do a wrap around porch    how do you do the one end piece ,,,, i have been using a flat prim  it worked with the camper but for the house it looks kind of choppy  ....  what type do i use the triangle   or what ,,,, it is prims ,,,, i want to replace the flat prim with one that makes the roof look finished , the two opposite  roof pieces are triangle  

After making the piece like Knutz said, a Texture Alignment pattern like this can help you get the roof texture properly aligned.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Builders-Texture-Alignment-Grid/3367925

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Knutz Scorpio said:

o do a roof corner like below start with a cube, Taper both X and Y to 1 to turn it into a pyramid, then Top Shear X and Y to -0.5 (or whatever combination of +0.5 and -0.5) to slant it in the needed direction.  To texture the sides I switched Mapping to Planar otherwise the texturing was skewed.

Thank you , works great !!!  

25 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

After making the piece like Knutz said, a Texture Alignment pattern like this can help you get the roof texture properly aligned.

Thank you , will check it out as soon as my mp pages stop having will not load temper   tantrums !!!  Hugs Hugs Hugs  to you both !!!

3 hours ago, Knutz Scorpio said:

To do a roof corner like below start with a cube, Taper both X and Y to 1 to turn it into a pyramid, then Top Shear X and Y to -0.5 (or whatever combination of +0.5 and -0.5) to slant it in the needed direction.  To texture the sides I switched Mapping to Planar otherwise the texturing was skewed.

I majorly suck at visualizing spatial crap in my head.  I will rez different pieces from the Build menu and do all sorts of things to them, trying to figure out which one will best make whatever shape I'm trying to get.  I'm pretty sure it is just pure luck whenever I manage to hit upon one that works.  So the only way I'm making something that is odd shaped (odd in my view, anyway) is if I get lucky, or I happen to have something with Mod permissions that I can start with, or someone flat out tells me what to do (like your wonderfully simple post).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I majorly suck at visualizing spatial crap in my head.  I will rez different pieces from the Build menu and do all sorts of things to them, trying to figure out which one will best make whatever shape I'm trying to get.  I'm pretty sure it is just pure luck whenever I manage to hit upon one that works.  So the only way I'm making something that is odd shaped (odd in my view, anyway) is if I get lucky, or I happen to have something with Mod permissions that I can start with, or someone flat out tells me what to do (like your wonderfully simple post).

I'm one of those that never tire of playing with blocks and I like SL so much because you can rez so many in almost infinite configurations, and it's a hell lot cheaper then Legos

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Knutz Scorpio said:

I'm one of those that never tire of playing with blocks and I like SL so much because you can rez so many in almost infinite configurations, and it's a hell lot cheaper then Legos

Oh, the money I spent on legos when my son was young.  Yes, expensive, and they hurt like hell when you step on them.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Same!  Except that I'm an impatient and basically terrible builder, and you're good at it!  I decided to mock something up the other day to show to Cee so HE could build it (yes, that's how I build lol), gave up and dug out Nika's ancient Prim Finder, which sped things up immeasurably!

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Prim-Finder-20/142575

I'm going to have to see if your terrific corner shape is there, Knutz!  IIRC, there was a way to add things to it ... hmmmm.....

• Like 2

It looks like as if there is a competition going on who can build the highest (and ugliest) add-on on top of houseboat. 🙄
The one in the front is much higher than 15 meters. The one at the background is higher than 15 meters too.

2020-01-11_crazy-builds_1.thumb.jpg.d395b7e941a3466708d057ffdcda7ddf.jpg

Somebody is trying to grow grass, trees, plants and flowers on wood deck - without proper planters and/or pots. It just looks so sad. 🙁 😛

2020-01-11_crazy-builds_2.thumb.jpg.5387aa14bd7bf1f6585999d3d9035285.jpg

And in some places there are full bright items such as: plants, curtains and even house add-ons! Aarghh.. 😕
Perhaps people having full bright objects are using fixed midday Windlight so they are not even aware of the problem how full bright looks at night?

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

18 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

Perhaps people having full bright objects are using fixed midday Windlight so they are not even aware of the problem how full bright looks at night?

This is entirely possible! I use a bright WL 99% of the time, and have to remind myself to do a "full bright check" with a midnight setting every time I decorate a place.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Coby Foden said:

It looks like as if there is a competition going on who can build the highest (and ugliest) add-on on top of houseboat. 🙄
The one in the front is much higher than 15 meters. The one at the background is higher than 15 meters too.

Somebody is trying to grow grass, trees, plants and flowers on wood deck - without proper planters and/or pots. It just looks so sad. 🙁 😛

And in some places there are full bright items such as: plants, curtains and even house add-ons! Aarghh.. 😕

*sigh*

**double sigh**

1 hour ago, Coby Foden said:

2020-01-11_crazy-builds_1.thumb.jpg.d395b7e941a3466708d057ffdcda7ddf.jpg

One does it, others think it's ok and do it too.  Thus the reason for a Covenant.

• Like 5

On 1/9/2020 at 12:01 PM, roseelvira said:

And now this  wow ,,,,, sky box covering the whole house and property  .Location poseidon peak. And they as well are not new .I feel sorry foor the next door neighbor591924179_tosviolation.pngaaa.pngaaa_001.thumb.png.20766f5f552d17f1bab3273fb01b8ab2.png

This just looks like they rezzed out their skybox at ground level long enough to check the size and center it on their parcel before sending it up. Since later reports say it was gone, maybe a ‘24 hour wait and see’ policy might be better unless a neighbor just gets into the bad habit of repeatedly rezzing and leaving out items that are in violation of the covenant. Just a thought. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mitch Merricks said:

One does it, others think it's ok and do it too.  Thus the reason for a Covenant.

and reason to start enforcing it without delay, because this will spread faster than a bad flu.
I'm also not for a 24 wait ..it's in the covenant, it's on the page where you claim your home, it's in the guidelines... ehm should be enough.

• Like 5

Spoke to neighbor who lives near there and wish that was the situation. The owner was im about the sky box but never a response    ...how ever i was informed after i posted the pic  it went away . It seems like some of the( i am using the word offenders  lightly ),, know the rules ..  ... there are places to rez items and if in doubt all premiums have access to chat // in a few minutes they can get the info on how to do someting  or use the forums or GOOGLE   or if they are in the beli groups they can ask  so there are many resourses to avoid the ars and everyone can enjoy the new homes 

It says the  

*Linden Homes should be kept presentable and in-theme to their unique areas.
  *Linden Homes can not be used as sandboxes.  

tAlso  they can ask anyone in their groups for information .  If a new person comes in and see  using the sky box as example     that and then  they do it thinking its ok ,,,and that is not fair to a new person who is trying to learn  or to the residents who keep the rules . When in doubt ask .   

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

and reason to start enforcing it without delay, because this will spread faster than a bad flu.
I'm also not for a 24 wait ..it's in the covenant, it's on the page where you claim your home, it's in the guidelines... ehm should be enough.

Yeah 24 hours means 24 hours that everyone else is not getting the full use and enjoyment of the region.

My go-to "wait" period is... "are you still logged in AND on the parcel?" Exceptions being what they are - people should assume if they leave and leave something in violation sitting there... someone might file a report.

• Like 5

If logged in and im them  and if they say  o will take it down in an hour  doing pic ,,,, no problem,,,, when i was doing pics with my chickens and pet crab i would im my neigbor beforhand and let them know hey i am just taking a few picks and will remove  the farm family asap ,,,, so no worries  not making a petting zoo ,,,, that way you let your neighbors who are on line know that it will be gone shortly and no bad feelings ,,,,  but the drop and run   and not cleaning up ,,,,,  maybe they need to add anothher  catagory  to the ar list like ,,,, beli tos  possible violation please  check it out ,,,

1 hour ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Yeah 24 hours means 24 hours that everyone else is not getting the full use and enjoyment of the region.

My go-to "wait" period is... "are you still logged in AND on the parcel?" Exceptions being what they are - people should assume if they leave and leave something in violation sitting there... someone might file a report.

i know i mostly appear to say, slap them, now, ban and remove... but that's of course a impossible way to keep Belli, and whole SL, alive. :)
But as you describe.. contact if possible, send a message if needed, and act on it in a reasonable time.
But what's showing is that there are sometimes quite some long times before there's acted, and thats a bad signal i think. As neighbours we have the possibility to derender things, so it's hidden quite easy, but often it's a symptom of how the neighbour will proceed, and that's something that should be prevented by informing in time.
We already hear it here too..""moved because of the neighbours", that's not a solution, it's a mechanism as we see in rl often.. people moving out of nice areas because of the behaviour of others. [edit; and thats mainland behaviour]

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

We already hear it here too..""moved because of the neighbours", that's not a solution, it's a mechanism as we see in rl often.. people moving out of nice areas because of the behaviour of others.

I have already moved a few times from spots i thought would be keepe.  Makes  you wonder if the offender is doing it on purpose to get you to move.  If  on line see you packing up items know you might be going so they  swoop in ,,,, had it happen in a camper ,,,,, neighbor ,,,, shaking head ,,,, any way  i moved and bam part of the small group they owned one of them got it after i abandoned ,,,,   ,, and i went back  after a month  to see if they were both there side by side ,,, they both  moved ,,, ikr so ,,, people going to do what they do what they do what they do ,,,, why in real life i keep extra icecream  stash  ,,, stress relief lolololol

Edited by roseelvira
keyboard ///not picking up typed words
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1475 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.