Those crazy neighbors...

Trinity Blakewell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1475 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

image.thumb.png.e8db73fcdf8ff9c733daa6de4dbadaec.png

True,  while this could fall into the category of "what were they thinking",  there could always be more to a story.  

They may have had something come up mid project and had to stop.  They may Love their houseboat and just want some extra space outside.  1st glance says it's possible they may have little experience with texturing/tinting, or even know that's a content packet in the mailbox. 

If my neighbor next door had this, It's the perfect opportunity to make a new friend & spark a conversation, starting with an introduction and later Whats-ya  making? 

Most people are happy to chat about what they're making.  They're aiming for a little sandy beach or a deck?   "I've seen some cool examples we could check out for ideas or send links", or "I have some experience if you ever want some help".  And if $L are an issue, you can always send a gift from the Market or give them something from your inventory you've made for them to try as another option.

Not directed to anyone who's posted on this feed, but something I try and remember:

We can run with the mean girls, or we can be Mr. Rodgers and reach out to our neighbors.  Point fingers, or offer a hand to help others.  Sometimes its really as simple as how you take that 1st step.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

One thing that really bothers me on the texture kit is that the textures are NOT the same UUIDs as the ones the moles used in building.

Put one of them on a prim, next to a house that uses it... log out... log back in...  if you pay attention the two items will not appear at the same time... they look the same... but they're different files...

So it doesn't actually help caching wise... to be using the matching texture... in fact it makes lag worse...

Not only that, but since the home textures are baked into the mesh, they don't look exactly the same when put on a prim next to the mesh - that whole 'textures apply differently to prim versus mesh' thing.  I used the gray for my interior Barnacle walls. I then made a prim wall to divide a portion of the upstairs and applied the gray interior wall texture from the content pack.  It does not look the same - lighter and does not show the fabric-like pattern.  I tinted it to get the color closer, but still not a perfect match.  I later turned the prim walls into mesh, but the texture still isn't baked in - I'm not inworld currently and don't remember how well that match turned out, but I'm pretty sure that upon close inspection, it is still off a bit.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mitch Merricks said:

True,  while this could fall into the category of "what were they thinking",  there could always be more to a story.  

They may have had something come up mid project and had to stop.  They may Love their houseboat and just want some extra space outside.  1st glance says it's possible they may have little experience with texturing/tinting, or even know that's a content packet in the mailbox. 

If my neighbor next door had this, It's the perfect opportunity to make a new friend & spark a conversation, starting with an introduction and later Whats-ya  making? 

Most people are happy to chat about what they're making.  They're aiming for a little sandy beach or a deck?   "I've seen some cool examples we could check out for ideas or send links", or "I have some experience if you ever want some help".  And if $L are an issue, you can always send a gift from the Market or give them something from your inventory you've made for them to try as another option.

Not directed to anyone who's posted on this feed, but something I try and remember:

We can run with the mean girls, or we can be Mr. Rodgers and reach out to our neighbors.  Point fingers, or offer a hand to help others.  Sometimes its really as simple as how you take that 1st step.

Great idea, but...... 

#1 - I don't do people well

#2 - The neighbor is never online when I am

#3 - 75% of the time when I try to talk to someone in Bellisseria about anything on their property -- other than complimenting the heck out of things -- they seem to get offended/insulted.  Likely due to #1 above.

Maybe someday I'll do a few more of those courses on interpersonal stuff - and who knows, maybe someday a miracle will happen and it will actually help me.  In the meantime, that is behind me, so it doesn't impact my normal view.  Live and let live is my viewpoint on that one.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:
16 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

In continuing the observations, I would have thought that the add-on pictured below is quite a bit over the 15m mark, from first glance.  While it is over the limit, the 15m mark comes in roughly the middle of the blue roof trim.  Given that, I wouldn't bother reporting it, and if someone did, I could easily see LL letting that one slide.

Realization - my perspective on height is often wrong.

image.thumb.png.7b44303c83407d0ea92c20d2f5e6a668.png

After this was quoted a few times, I noticed that they did not use the matching texture on the outside of the addition.  The texture is in the texture pack.  I wonder if they don't know about the creation pack.  Based on some questions here in the forums, even though it is on the house rez menu, many don't seem to know it is there or what it is.

To me, the real question is whether it counts as "direct modification" of the houseboat, which is *not* allowed according to the covenant. I'm not saying it is. Just adding food-for-thought. (In which case, if it is, then all those awnings and room-additions to the landlubber houses would fall into that category, too.)

I'd just warm-up the Game of Homes web site, myself. LOL

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

#3 - 75% of the time when I try to talk to someone in Bellisseria about anything on their property -- other than complimenting the heck out of things -- they seem to get offended/insulted.  Likely due to #1 above.

Nah that's just SL...

"Hey new neighbor..."

"WTF, you libtard @@#&!@* Don't tread on me you #@!#@$! [less polite term for people of the ethnicity of my avatar] are all racist!"  /rezzes 20 political signs and a giant glowing purple prim, plus a 'male anatomy' sculpture that temp-rezzes 'bullets' shaped like male anatomy and shoots them at my land...

- that's... actually not too rare of an encounter...

I've learned to NOT say hi to the neighbors... the hard way...

On the other hand... this has NOT happened to me in Bellisseria...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

54 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

To me, the real question is whether it counts as "direct modification" of the houseboat

No Linden home can have a direct modification because the tenant of the home does not own the home and cannot modify the home. When the covenant mentions that modifications aren't allowed it's telling the reader that modifications to the homes are NOT possible. 

Personally I don't think this add-on is so bad. If the matching textures were used it wouldn't look all that out of place. I agree that it does block the view of those around so it might not be the neighborly thing to do. 

image.thumb.png.7b44303c83407d0ea92c20d2f5e6a668.png

LittleMe was quoting Pussycat here. It was easier to quote LittleMe than go back a page to find the original.

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

One thing that really bothers me on the texture kit is that the textures are NOT the same UUIDs as the ones the moles used in building.

The textures included in the texture pack are the base textures. Since the textures on the houseboats have had shadows and ambient occlusion baked in then matching using those textures is difficult if not impossible. In making my add-ons I had to create my own textures using the base as a starting place then fudged the ambient occlusion to get a texture that would blend if not completely match the walls in the homes.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:
2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Great idea, but...... 

#1 - I don't do people well

#3 - they seem to get offended/insulted.  Likely due to #1 above.

shall we go together?... i'm good with people  :)

I have heard that about you.

:SwingingFriends:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blush Bravin said:

The textures included in the texture pack are the base textures. Since the textures on the houseboats have had shadows and ambient occlusion baked in then matching using those textures is difficult if not impossible. In making my add-ons I had to create my own textures using the base as a starting place then fudged the ambient occlusion to get a texture that would blend if not completely match the walls in the homes.

All of this is what frustrates me...

Each such texture that folks add in is just another thing we have to cache and carry around.

My new computer is pretty top end... so this isn't the issue for me personally that it was about 6 months ago.

But most people are not running an AMD 2700 with 32gb of ram and a 2080 RTX GPU on a 500+ mpbs down connection with nearly no latency between them and the SL servers...

Most people have something only a little better than my old machine... and start to struggle when they see lots of textures...

I wish we could move beyond the era of baking shadows into textures... but that actually requires systems like mine that run with shadows on full time... so it's not actually the solution...

Failing that... some work to try and share textures that have baked just one or two edges so that can be used in repeats somewhat. One of the Victorian wall textures is like that.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Hmmmm....

ad4092fe63132232018f5cca309d2050.jpg

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Waves of Rugwick/111/111/23

They are all between 106 to 108 days old...

Somebody drowned their harem?  Such waste is shameful!  Seriously though, (said the failing comedian) I see a lot of avatars underwater just standing around.  MOST ignore me when I visit them but a rare few have had people at the helm at the moment I visited.  Dunno what they are up to.  They would not say.

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Oh yay, looks like Tiny Empires has discovered Bellisseria. :| 

It's my second sighting of 'probable TE bots' in Bellisseria waters...

In this case it's the waters in the south islands, so some could say it's actually old mainland waters... It's one of those regions that glues Bellisseria to Jeogeot...

One region over in either direction and we could call it for which patient has the 'social disease'...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mitch Merricks said:

I wanted to say I truly appreciate your attitude here. It's definitely not the easiest route, but we'd all be better off for more of it - in every reality

• Thanks 1

Now they're in my home region:

72e32077f5a4c9df9d308b06fe95e2dd.jpg

Not sure if one their own or otherwise, but this pack vanished shortly after my AR.

Wasn't sure if I should be reporting them under an 'age violation' or disturbing the peace.

I've spotted them under there through 4 regions now. The one on the left seems to be the active account - the other 3 just get parked in a stack. Nude, clothed, child... One on the left has not followed them into their current spot...

ca2e35e4dd561734cf2c18fdde373ef1.png

10 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

After reading the profile of the "child", I want to report it for disturbing my dinner. 🤮

I followed them all the way down into the south seas of Jeogeot and put in 2 ARs. One for disturbing the peace as a pack of bots in the water just outside my houseboat...

The second a few regions on down, as the first time I've ever filed on that 'age' category for the nude and the child being in a stack together...

- I'm not sure on those... but by just teleporting to 40m above them repeatedly, eventually they 'shook my tail' by leaving Bellisseria & Jeogeot waters, near as I could tell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Ardy Lay said:

Somebody drowned their harem?  Such waste is shameful!  Seriously though, (said the failing comedian) I see a lot of avatars underwater just standing around.  MOST ignore me when I visit them but a rare few have had people at the helm at the moment I visited.  Dunno what they are up to.  They would not say.

They are often automated bots. Sometimes they end up in strange places like then when their region is restarted and they auto-reblog and the region hasn't returned yet. On a private estate, fine. On public land - *maybe*. On Bellisseria: AR first, then AR some more, then always never forget to also AR.

54 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

On Bellisseria: AR first, then AR some more, then always never forget to also AR.

You forgot a step! Post pictures here in order to shame/bully/make fun of the alleged witches offenders before burning them at the stake filing the multiple ARs!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

You forgot a step! Post pictures here in order to shame/bully/make fun of the alleged witches offenders before burning them at the stake filing the multiple ARs!

36 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

If they don't appear to be moving around, I'd definitely post a slurl here so that others can go AR also.

Yes, yes, this. OH! Maybe also AR each one of those bots? LOL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1475 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.