Those crazy neighbors...

Trinity Blakewell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1464 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Would this orb be allowed in the older Linden homes? If so, the listing is not technically out of order, though it's at the very least misleading since the implication is that it could be used in any Linden home. 

Unless the orb settings can be modified, it cannot be used at a Linden Home. The covenant requires a minimum 15 second warning - this one says it gives 10 second warning.  Also, orbs are not allowed to TP you home; they have to simply eject you from the parcel. This one says it "transfers home".

4 minutes ago, roseelvira said:

Looked up and saw this  !!!  487387216_skyjunk.pngaa_001.thumb.png.98f4b841901506639ce1720dd4cf1343.png

one is a sky prim someone is using and the other is a  sky box ,,,, 

AR those. They're below 2000m unless you have some insane draw distance...

Let us all know where that is... we all gotta AR that... that's the absolute worst kind of blight...

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I reported it and went with "keyword spam" since it's improperly using "Linden House Security" and "Linden Homes" to get buyers.

I'm blown away by the number of listings that are now including the phrase "Linden Home" in order to get search hits.  A furniture creator and a garden/landscape creator have both added the phrase "Perfect for a Linden Home" to almost all of their listings.

I simply see it as someone trying to game the system and I add them to my list of "Do not buy from".  Depending on my mood when their stuff pops into my search results, I might spend 5 or 10 minutes reporting items.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hendrix Portal said:

Has anyone seen this on MP? Someone's advertising their security orb as "Linden House Security" but it has a 10 second timer and kicks home. I was going to flag it on MP but there wasn't an appropriate reason in the menu. If he took the Linden Home wording out of his listing no one would care but keywords get hits so...

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Parcel-Security-Orb-v1-Linden-House-Security-Renter-Security/18697422

Yeah... that's bad.

I haven't messed with the orb they give us - can you customize the area it covers to that it only covers something like 'the space inside the walls' or 'the space inside this one set of coordinates here?'

- if you can, there is zero reason to ever use a private brand orb... because the one they give us is free, 1-land impact, and made exactly to the covenant rules. More - people can visually recognize it and know to not intrude just be seeing it when they look around, it's a known item.

I always look for an excuse to AR orbs when I find them, I have yet to find a private one that wasn't violating the covenant somehow - time, action, etc...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I simply see it as someone trying to game the system and I add them to my list of "Do not buy from".  Depending on my mood when their stuff pops into my search results, I might spend 5 or 10 minutes reporting items.

As far as I am concerned, if your item uses more than 1-3 land impact... unless it's walls / add-ons, it is NOT for a linden home... that's no policy of course... but it's how I filter things when shopping for my own homes.

13 minutes ago, Hendrix Portal said:

If the Covenant had said "only Linden orbs may be used here, one is provided for you" instead of trusting people to program their own private orbs, there would be a lot less of this happening.

I actually keep forgetting that it doesn't say that...

I CAN see a usecase for a private orb... that is similar to how I use them on mainland...

On mainland I like to put an orb to work only inside the walls of a building, like a skybox. You can stand on the building, bump into it all day long, etc... and nothing. Go inside, and the orb acts. That means that I customize the area of my mainland orbs down to measurements like +3.4756x, -7.231y... etc... and sometimes layer a few of them to cover odd shaped buildings without covering ANYTHING outside.

So if you wanted to cover a 'verne' victorian, you's need one for the turret set on a round radius x-y, but from height to height, and another for the inside of the rest of the walls.

I've been mentally wondering if I could make a scan area like the 'lasso tool' of GIMP / Photoshop... that would let me do any area with a single orb... but I don't think LSL allows for it... gonna have to look... That said I would ONLY sell an orb I made if I could figure out a way to make it know what region it's been rezzed on and destroy itself if it was on a linden home...

- But most people cover the whole parcel... and in that scenario, there's just no justification for a private orb.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

19 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

I haven't messed with the orb they give us - can you customize the area it covers to that it only covers something like 'the space inside the walls' or 'the space inside this one set of coordinates here?'

- if you can, there is zero reason to ever use a private brand orb... because the one they give us is free, 1-land impact, and made exactly to the covenant rules.

No - you cannot customize it in any way.  It must be placed at 100m or lower, or at 2000m or higher -- will not work between 100m and 2000m.  Secondly, if placed correctly, it will then scan and protect for 400 m above and below itself, but does cover the entire parcel XY coordinates.

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Unless the orb settings can be modified, it cannot be used at a Linden Home. The covenant requires a minimum 15 second warning - this one says it gives 10 second warning.  Also, orbs are not allowed to TP you home; they have to simply eject you from the parcel. This one says it "transfers home".

OK, thanks, I wasn't sure what the covenant for the OLD Linden Homes was. For some reason I remembered banlines and such there, but it's been years since I had one. 

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I'm blown away by the number of listings that are now including the phrase "Linden Home" in order to get search hits.  A furniture creator and a garden/landscape creator have both added the phrase "Perfect for a Linden Home" to almost all of their listings.

OMG same, I hate when I go to look for add-ons and get a load of stuff that is obviously NOT customized for Linden Homes but has those words just to get more eyes on the listings. I might start reporting them as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, roseelvira said:

Looked up and saw this  !!!  487387216_skyjunk.pngaa_001.thumb.png.98f4b841901506639ce1720dd4cf1343.png

one is a sky prim someone is using and the other is a  sky box ,,,, 

so it begins... honestly, there's just a huge influx of people who clicked ok on the covenant with a merry TLDNR. Be polite & encouraging, certainly, but thanks to all holding the line against the worst examples of "mainlanding" Bellisseria.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

AR those. They're below 2000m unless you have some insane draw distance...

Let us all know where that is... we all gotta AR that... that's the absolute worst kind of blight...

I TP to one and there was a mole standing on it. :)

I TP to the second one, and a mole appears on top of it while I'm typing in the report... :D

So I just left in both cases. They're on it for those two.

Got a temp-rezzer near my LH at http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Coral Bay/77/229/27

- I did finally file something on it not too long ago, after seeing the new neighbor leave it there for several days.

Also found this: ;)

472a3f1e278a8db2192fdcb755819320.png

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Coral Bay/201/221/4098

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Dahm Strait/204/220/4098

It's WAY above 2000m. So I guess we'll call it the Mole's skybox. :P

... If only I was able to rez there, I sooo need to put a car in that spot...

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

45 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

OK, thanks, I wasn't sure what the covenant for the OLD Linden Homes was. For some reason I remembered banlines and such there, but it's been years since I had one. 

Ahhhh, I wasn't thinking about the old ones at all.  I'm not sure if they have any rules about security orbs over there.  An orb with 10-second warning and TP home might actually be allowed there.

20 minutes ago, Lukas Thetan said:

Are you actively scanning Belli for orbs or merely ARing the ones which break the rules?

There's almost no reason for a private brand orb on a linden home.

They allow you to set height limits but not area limits... so there is your single legitimate use case for a private brand - which very few people do.

So... if I see a private one... the default assumption is they are trying to break the rules, and I would check for that. Usually there is no need - the private ones are usually going to TP you home or eject you the moment you enter the parcel.

- On mainland I DO use 0-second TP-Home orbs... but set to ONLY trigger inside the bounds of a solid opaque box. If you see this:

8bde49436e6c556b5a8fe52d1cb764c1.png

On MAINLAND... where I put that at 4090m up... and you insist on going inside... I TP you home with no warning.

But on Linden Homes the rule is eject, and 15 seconds.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

There's almost no reason for a private brand orb on a linden home.

They allow you to set height limits but not area limits... so there is your single legitimate use case for a private brand - which very few people do.

So... if I see a private one... the default assumption is they are trying to break the rules, and I would check for that. Usually there is no need - the private ones are usually going to TP you home or eject you the moment you enter the parcel.

I'm glad to hear that you do check first before involving the moles.

I use an old but efficient one to alert me via IM of visitors and region restarts, only, on my mainland and LH parcels. These orbs work perfectly and are configured as per the Belli TOS, though that would not be apparent in an area search.

One was recently visited by a mole who found it to be in compliance. Certainly not the best use of his time, especially when releasing new homes and themes should be their highest priority at the moment.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Lukas Thetan said:

I'm glad to hear that you do check first before involving the moles.

I actually file a lot LESS ARs than my forum posts might make it seem because I try to be meticulous about them to make sure they get acted on.

That means I always:

- include a screenshot that has the violation in it, and the covenant on the screen with the relevant part highlighted, or some web URL to the TOS (for mainland). And I quote the rule being violated in the AR, and describe how the item is a violation.

So... to do all that I have to check and make sure, to the best of my understanding, that I'm doing the right thing.

If you want people who don't read first to stop ARing yours... make it transparent or hide it inside a wall... then it won't be noticed by someone just passing by, only by people it catches... and as you say, with it following the rules - it should become more obvious to them that there's no violation.
- not that that will stop everyone who's wrongly bothering you... but it will stop a lot of them.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hendrix Portal said:

Has anyone seen this on MP? Someone's advertising their security orb as "Linden House Security" but it has a 10 second timer and kicks home. I was going to flag it on MP but there wasn't an appropriate reason in the menu. If he took the Linden Home wording out of his listing no one would care but keywords get hits so...

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Parcel-Security-Orb-v1-Linden-House-Security-Renter-Security/18697422

I sent the creator a message - and then sent a modified message after Sylvia reminded me that the older homes might very well allow this.  The creator responded very nicely.  He has changed the description to state that it is "Not designed for newer Linden Homes" and he removed all other references to Linden House/Home.

• Like 7

Something that used to be common in Blake Sea and the ocean in Jeogeot years ago... which I don't think I've seen for almost 8-10 years:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Coral Bay/146/128/22

685e02feaac5de689e83addc18283268.jpg

Using an AFK alt sitting on a non-driver seat to perma-park a giant boat in linden water just outside people's land...

Years ago there was someone who held a near region-sized boat in Blake Sea for several months this way...

• Sad 7

4 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Using an AFK alt sitting on a non-driver seat to perma-park a giant boat in linden water just outside people's land..

I still see this in Blake Sea, usually at Sirens Island. Though now they will use a HUD to make the alt invisible, though you can still see the name tag, and for those that even hide that, they still appear on the minimap.

Lots of talk about security orbs here (which I think is a better thread for it than the security orbs thread LOL) - my take-away is how upside-down SL has become from 15 years ago when everything was copy and modify and most places were open and inviting.

I suppose this makes me a crazy neighbor then, when I say all my places are open to anyone and everyone and I have horse and car rezzers for anyone and everyone to play with!

My Traditional Home in Deermoor: https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Deermoor/28/24

My campsite in Tawakoni: https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Tawakoni/184/64

And my garage in Spini: https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Spini/228/192

So come and have some SL fun, you're all invited. I've even created a script I could use to create a "Reverse Orb" that, instead of ejecting you, can suck you in! LOL (Seriously, I really have!)

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Lots of talk about security orbs here (which I think is a better thread for it than the security orbs thread LOL) - my take-away is how upside-down SL has become from 15 years ago when everything was copy and modify and most places were open and inviting.

I suppose this makes me a crazy neighbor then, when I say all my places are open to anyone and everyone and I have horse and car rezzers for anyone and everyone to play with!

I enjoyed wandering around your campsite, checking it out and grabbing a car to crash into things with.  :D

In all my SL years, the only time I ever lived anywhere with a security orb was when I moved in with a guy that had one.  While I do tick the privacy box, I've never made any of my places inaccessible.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1464 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.