Those crazy neighbors...

Trinity Blakewell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1472 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

16 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

My first Traditional house location is using the Winchester.  The window placement and the unevenness of the balcony rails drives my OCD tendencies insane if I focus on it.  In that particular neighborhood, the Winchester was used the least, so I stuck with that model and just have to force myself not to obsess over the symmetry issues.  

I remember those OCD triggers being discussed in another thread. Makes me wonder if the Traditional and Victorian flaws were QA oversights or intentional quirks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

also some houseboats 1 or 2 degrees off if i remember well

Aesthetics are one thing, but being a degree or so off center would be a major usability issue - especially for the LH 'beginner' target audience. I would hope something like that would be fixed.

*goes back to derendering every Hardy within draw distance*

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Lukas Thetan said:

Makes me wonder if the Traditional and Victorian flaws were QA oversights or intentional quirks.

Since I have a neighbor in RL that built a balcony similar to the Winchester, with uneven rails, maybe LL was just trying to mimic RL a bit.  Nothing would surprise me given the humor of Patch and the Moles.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

…..Abnor already explained why automobiles are not allowed to be put onto the street and why there should not be any exceptions...

I've been curious about Auto's on the Street.  Do you know what was said or have a source link?  I suspect it's  because it would have to be linked to an anchor prim ends up on public land?   Does look cool, but rules are rules.  I keep one on my own driveway, but I am curious if that's the reason, thanks.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mitch Merricks said:

I've been curious about Auto's on the Street.  Do you know what was said or have a source link?  I suspect it's  because it would have to be linked to an anchor prim ends up on public land?   Does look cool, but rules are rules.  I keep one on my own driveway, but I am curious if that's the reason, thanks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Lukas Thetan said:

However, the issue that bothers me most about that picture is the house itself. I would not choose the Hardy model (even though I love its floorplan) because of the awkward spacing of the windows above the porch roof, as it throws my OCD into overdrive.

? I guess its all in how you think about it.  Unlike the other Vics, the Hardy has a central stairway, so the 2nd floor middle window is on the landing, right above the front door.  The other two windows above the porch roof are centered on the windows below.  To my eye, the Moles went for excellent exterior symmetry, at the cost of awkwardly placed windows inside the 2nd floor rooms.  Different strokes!

Edited by Nika Talaj
haha beat me to it with the Abnor quote :). And oops, "Central stairway", not "interior"
  • Haha 1

I have a question. I have seen  a few   who have personal items  on what is the public linden land. I did not understand how these items  were  able to stay past the linden  yellow boundary land line and why the return did not work . One was in the middle of the walking way and it had an invisible prim i guess what you call anchor prim  on their parcel but the items in the public walking area .  Is that allowed ? I do not understand why it is done ,,,, We are given the space to keep our items in so why  extend your items into public land > I can only think that the word public one assumes they can do that.   So short version is  is it allowed to use anchor primms on your items to have them placed  and stay outside your designated by ll land lines to go onto and stay on the public land be it walkway or land space between boats/ campers / or homes.  And if not allowed how does it get corrected ?

• Like 1

Yes, it's done with an anchor prim, which makes the prims count against the person's allowance and so avoids autoreturn. If it's sticking out more than a little bit, particularly if it is in the way of public travel ("in the middle of the walking way"), then it is not allowed and you should file an abuse report. 

• Like 2

if a bit crazy then can get even more crazy

like link a police figure to a anchor prim. Rotate the anchor prim so the police figure is under the ground. When a person is detected walking down the middle of the road. then rotate the police onto the road by the person and shout: Hah! You under arrest for jaywalking!!! Please to follow me into the secret police station, where you get locked up and have to eat cream cakes!!!"

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

If it's sticking out more than a little bit, particularly if it is in the way of public travel ("in the middle of the walking way"), then it is not allowed and you should file an abuse report. 

Technically if some aspect extends over by even 0.0001m it's in violation. But reasonably these things end up being judgement calls of the Moles/Lindens. Especially if, as you note - it's messing with public routes of travel or views.

There's a long history in SL of 'offsim builds' which have technically ALWAYS been 'illegal' but it's rarely enforced - so people are often assuming it's OK, and bringing that perspective with them to Bellisseria.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Lukas Thetan said:

However, the issue that bothers me most about that picture is the house itself. I would not choose the Hardy model (even though I love its floorplan) because of the awkward spacing of the windows above the porch roof, as it throws my OCD into overdrive. Resident add-ons come and go, but Mole builds are forever.

Interesting. I happen to like it for that same reason. I also tend to like a certain 'organized or patterned chaos' to things. Like all the pictures might be 'off angle' but by a certain precise amount with a variance between them that is mathed out (off by 1.1, 1.2, 1.4, 1.8, etc for example). Something that appears in chaos until you find the formula or pattern for it.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Technically if some aspect extends over by even 0.0001m it's in violation. But reasonably these things end up being judgement calls of the Moles/Lindens. Especially if, as you note - it's messing with public routes of travel or views.

There's a long history in SL of 'offsim builds' which have technically ALWAYS been 'illegal' but it's rarely enforced - so people are often assuming it's OK, and bringing that perspective with them to Bellisseria.

Correct, any encroachment onto public land is a violation, but as we have seen in Bay City, if it looks good and isn't a nuisance (it's not blocking travel, etc.), then it's quite often allowed. I know I have many times covered the weird zig zag parcel borders there with no issue, so I wouldn't waste anyone's time by reporting someone for a minuscule overlap.

However, if something is blocking travel, I will AR it, no matter how good it might look. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, roseelvira said:

I have a question. I have seen  a few   who have personal items  on what is the public linden land. I did not understand how these items  were  able to stay past the linden  yellow boundary land line and why the return did not work . One was in the middle of the walking way and it had an invisible prim i guess what you call anchor prim  on their parcel but the items in the public walking area .  Is that allowed ? I do not understand why it is done ,,,, We are given the space to keep our items in so why  extend your items into public land > I can only think that the word public one assumes they can do that.   So short version is  is it allowed to use anchor primms on your items to have them placed  and stay outside your designated by ll land lines to go onto and stay on the public land be it walkway or land space between boats/ campers / or homes.  And if not allowed how does it get corrected ?

A few cases that I've seen where I don't really think a Linden would do anything are:

1)  A small bit of side walk was extended outside the property lines in order to join the parcel owner's sidewalk with the walkway that came up towards the house, but did not quite go all the way to the properly line

2)  One person's lot had an LL fence just outside their property line.  When they decorated with some flowering bushes, they include some inside the fence, thus inside their property line, and a few outside the fence, thus outside their property line.  It all looked so perfectly positioned and blended in very well with all of the nearby Mole provided landscaping.

3)  Someone created a driveway that extended a bit outside their property lines to meet up with the street.  It looked like it actually belonged, given the layout of their plot and the street.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

A case when I lately did it (on a lot I since abandoned) and am likely to do it again:

You get a small portion of fence or wall on the front of your house. If you want to make that longer and cover the edge of your plot, using the pieces you find in your mailbox, you would not be able to join it to the moles bit if you keep inside your parcel, for THEIRS is outside! So I make an invisible anchor prim and push the fence or wall outside to form a line.

I guess no Mole or neighbour would object to that!

• Like 3

One time I saw something a neighbour did that I really liked: On the public land there was a little lake which my house and his (and a few others) backed to. He had somehow managed to place a wooden dock there with a bench and towel and some decorations very well done and pretty ... and I could use it (or anyone) just like the nice restcorners the Moles sometimes give us.

No reason on earth anyone should AR that!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Leora Jacobus said:

One time I saw something a neighbour did that I really liked: On the public land there was a little lake which my house and his (and a few others) backed to. He had somehow managed to place a wooden dock there with a bench and towel and some decorations very well done and pretty ... and I could use it (or anyone) just like the nice restcorners the Moles sometimes give us.

No reason on earth anyone should AR that!

While that one might have fit surrounding landscaping, that is exactly one of the examples that Abnor gave as to the stuff that they won't allow.  So if a Mole had noticed or if someone had AR'd it, it likely would not have been allowed to stay.

• Like 1

• Moles

We have absolutely no objections to people adding to the fences, walls or hedges around their parcel or connecting to them. That's why those items are in the content packs in the first place. Or even making a small short driveway to the sidewalk.

Placing docks is different. It sets the precedent that anyone can do that, and not everyone is as "community minded" in the application. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 16

4 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

We have absolutely no objections to people adding to the fences, walls or hedges around their parcel or connecting to them. That's why those items are in the content packs in the first place. Or even making a small short driveway to the sidewalk.

Placing docks is different. It sets the precedent that anyone can do that, and not everyone is as "community minded" in the application. 

So ... if we do an AR on a dock and after 2 or 3 weeks it is still there, should we assume that it is one that is being "allowed" to remain.  How long should we expect for a AR to be acted on ? What would the next step be if we feel an AR has not been appropriately acted on.  If there is something that is clearly in protected land, but has "seemingly" been ignored after filing the AR, should we just give up?  Derender it?  or just pretend it isn't there? 

• Moles

I'd advise against making assumptions. As you might guess, Moles have other pressing responsibilities, and we were not hired to be policemen or trash collectors.  We help where we can because we take pride in what we and the residents have been creating together, and we want to do our bit to keep Bellisseria a great place to live in SL. 

As far as ARs are concerned, Linden Lab has to put their highest priority on offenses like account fraud and property damage, so lower priority issues like covenant violations usually take longer to resolve. If you submit an AR and don't see a rapid resolution, it might mean that we're overwhelmed with other things and haven't gotten to it yet. Or it might mean that it's not as bad as you thought it was, so it will either be shoved to the bottom of the stack or set aside.  You'll never know.  If you think that an AR hasn't been appropriately acted on, you may always try submitting it again after a reasonable time.  Or pretend it isn't there.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 10

• Moles

1. Never assume something is "ok" just because its still there based on what you feel is an appropriate response time. Using that as a justification to do the same thing will have the same result as telling the officer who pulled you over "I see lots of people speeding so I figured it was ok."
2. Lindens respond to abuse reports, not Moles, but either way they are not going to discuss any resolution or lack thereof to an AR with you whether you feel it was appropriately acted upon or not. 

In essence, if you see something that appears to violate the covenant report it and move on. Ignore it. Derender if you want. Re-report it after a time if you like. Then go about your business. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 10

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1472 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.