Do Second Life avatars look like "mallrats"?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1577 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 hours ago, cheesecurd said:

I was gonna say, malls barely even exist anymore.

Theres a few in big cities but they’re dead and gone everywhere else. I think 15 malls have closed just around me in the last decade? From the Chicago south suburbs to Michigan City, the ones that haven’t entirely died are now just maybe one store and a few phone kiosks.

To be honest I am so glad Amazon really hasn't taken off in Australia to the point it has in America. I'm sure it will eventually but as it stands we still have shopping malls everywhere here, of which are regularly crowded though stores in them do close regularly due to high rent.

EDIT: I don't think a mall has ever closed down anywhere near me or in the entire state I live.

Edited by Drayke Newall

We went to Minnesota after Christmas last year, and I can tell you for certain that the Mall of America is not dead. I have never seen so many people jammed into one place, with the exception of Disney. Of course it was 15F and snowing outside, so that may have contributed. 

What was the topic again?

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Eva Knoller said:

We went to Minnesota after Christmas last year, and I can tell you for certain that the Mall of America is not dead. I have never seen so many people jammed into one place, with the exception of Disney. Of course it was 15F and snowing outside, so that may have contributed. 

It also helps that the Mall of America has a gigantic amusement park at its core as well as a very attractive aquarium. At least as many people come for the amusements as come to shop and dine.  It also doesn't hurt that there's a huge Ikea store next door and the largest international air hub in the region within a few miles.  And the city has major light rail and bus lines directly to the mall from downtown Minneapolis and the airport.  

25 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

It also helps that the Mall of America has a gigantic amusement park at its core as well as a very attractive aquarium. At least as many people come for the amusements as come to shop and dine.  It also doesn't hurt that there's a huge Ikea store next door and the largest international air hub in the region within a few miles.  And the city has major light rail and bus lines directly to the mall from downtown Minneapolis and the airport.  

Yes, it’s definitely more than a typical suburban mall. 

I think it would be fun to compare my most ‘basic’ modern everyday kind of look (yes it’s pretty ‘mall rat’) to my most fantastical/unusual. Ok on my 2020 photo list. 😉 I’m doing KonMari on my inventory anyway so why not?

For some people, it won’t be that different, for some it will be night/day. Both are fine, different people have different goals in SL. Sometimes people want to buy reasonable, realistic everyday clothes of the current popular style, sometimes really dressy things, sometimes fantastical costumes or RP. But posts worded like this pretty much guarantee ruffled feather and trollish replies so they might be considered at minimum, playfully trollish to start. Especially when there’s a pattern of them. 

268EDB45-ACEB-473D-8C65-A2E2071417F6.jpeg

Edited by Fauve Aeon
Add basic, stir.

15 hours ago, cheesecurd said:

I was gonna say, malls barely even exist anymore.

Theres a few in big cities but they’re dead and gone everywhere else. I think 15 malls have closed just around me in the last decade? 

Right.

The last SF Bay Area mall with a teen hangout was Fashion Island. "Fashion Island was designed by an architect who paid close attention to “Fast Times at Ridgemont High,” creating a central hangout area .... You could see and be seen at the ice rink and movie theater and dozens of food court tables. Or... you could hide out in the arcade playing “Joust”"

Not a bad idea for Second Life. Doing over an SL info hub along those lines could work.

• Haha 1

I think some of the SL shopping events do already look like bad malls with no Corn Dog 7. They could use an ice rink. And yes, Its because I am among the tribe that thinks the shopping events should have entertainment and activities in addition to shopping. Most of them send blogger packs and have blogger/press early access anyway so the fashion bloggers, writers, and hardcore fashionistas are long gone by opening day anyway. 

In SL,most of my shopping is online..But I'll go out into the real virtual world if there is a nice top or outfit at an event or a good sale going on..But mostly do a lot of MP shopping..

the strange thing is,I won't buy from a store in the MP,unless they have an in world store..hehehehe

On 12/20/2019 at 1:27 PM, Gopi Passiflora said:

You know, people who you find at the mall?

I think many Second Life human avatars look like mallrats who would hang out at the mall.

Hey Boomer; what's a mall?

:P

Ok... my take...

SL avatars look like a Boomer's take on a millennial. Which as a Gen Xer is... kinda weird...

As in... if your grandparents tried to dress your 20-something kids, and make them look like what they think the 'kids' all think is cool... they'd look like an SL avatar...
- Everything is just slightly 'off' from what it seems like the young folks at work actually look like...

Life as a Gen Xer is an exercise in being stuck in the middle between WTF and OMG, and SL is just an exaggeration of that...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 12/21/2019 at 10:41 PM, Pussycat Catnap said:

Life as a Gen Xer is an exercise in being stuck in the middle between WTF and OMG, and SL is just an exaggeration of that...

The first part is way more true than I’m wanting it to be and it gets more true every year, the last part made me laugh my a** off because it’s so visibly obvious in SL everywhere I look. 
edit: SLoomers? Maybe...

Edited by Fauve Aeon
  • Like 2

On 12/22/2019 at 5:41 AM, Pussycat Catnap said:

Life as a Gen Xer is an exercise in being stuck in the middle between WTF and OMG

If you think that's bad, try being born right at the switch point between two generations so you don't even know which clichés you're supposed to conform to. Stereotype dysphoria is a serious but tragically neglected health problem in the modern world.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

If you think that's bad, try being born right at the switch point between two generations so you don't even know which clichés you're supposed to conform to. Stereotype dysphoria is a serious but tragically neglected health problem in the modern world.

Yeah... That'd be one of my older siblings.

As a mixed-race person, I've lived an often dangerous version of that: https://catnapkitty.wordpress.com/2016/01/18/changes-over-the-years-journeying-through-myself/

- When you belong to no race, and also every race... you realize that race is an absurd fiction that is also a dangerously serious fact. The mere acts of walking, breathing, sitting, or standing becomes someone's version of appropriation. I'm sure someone is now going to roll their eyes that I have yet again brought up race... but this isn't to point at anyone - but rather to point at the entire human mess. Current culture has made everyone hyper aware of 'intersex' people that are roughly 0.1% of the population (a real too long persecuted when not ignored demographic), yet an 'interracial' person; something rather common, is still hounded daily for bring an imposter, 'acting wrong', dismissed, or violently reacted to.

Anyway... intergeneration... yeah. It actually does make such folks awkward. There's the transition years in generation culture that leaves such people eternally 'uncool'.

• Like 1

I heard a fantastic statement by a speaker in a video of a debate recently.  As it happens, he was a Mexican-American gentleman.  He said:

"America has no race."

Isn't that beautiful?  In just four words, he affirms the "melting pot" concept that has made America such a great country.

Oh yes...there are Americans who are racists.  That doesn't invalidate the beauty of this man's insight.  As a whole...in the aggregate, as Americans...we have no race.

I love it.  Merry Christmas!

24 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I heard a fantastic statement by a speaker in a video of a debate recently.  As it happens, he was a Mexican-American gentleman.  He said:

"America has no race."

Isn't that beautiful?  In just four words, he affirms the "melting pot" concept that has made America such a great country.

We are the Borg.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1577 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.