Turn On Fly Or I Won't Buy

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1749 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

13 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

My store has no roofs. It is designed for flying and camming. In all these years I have been in business, no one has asked where to find something. 

I was actually floating around your place yesterday to see if you'd built something I was too lazy to do myself. All stores should be set up that way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On no-fly sims (like 7 Deadly S[k]ins) I make sure I am flying in the previous sim I am on BEFORE I teleport in. Then when I arrive at the no-fly sim, I can still fly straight to the Advent calendar. Much faster than walking.

However, I have now been warned by the CSR that if I fly in 7 Deadly S[k]ins, I will be banned unless I land and walk. Which ticks me right off, but it's their store, and their rules. They have the right to set the rules as they see fit.

1 hour ago, Vanity Fair said:

On no-fly sims (like 7 Deadly S[k]ins) I make sure I am flying in the previous sim I am on BEFORE I teleport in. Then when I arrive at the no-fly sim, I can still fly straight to the Advent calendar. Much faster than walking.

However, I have now been warned by the CSR that if I fly in 7 Deadly S[k]ins, I will be banned unless I land and walk. Which ticks me right off, but it's their store, and their rules. They have the right to set the rules as they see fit.

I do not understand why they would not allow fly. If it makes it easier to shop why limit people? I have never shopped at this sim before myself so... idk.

I never fly when shopping. I walk all the way through in first person to simulate real shopping or I cam around if I want to go faster. I don't see why flying should be banned though. If someone wants to fly it doesn't detract from my experience. I guess I never noticed this issue because of my preference.

1 hour ago, Vanity Fair said:

Yeah, that place is a little infamous for actually enforcing the no fly rule. I have no earthly idea why a quick flyby purchase would bother them as much as it does. Perhaps flying somehow taints the lindens in their eyes.

(it's also the only reason I don't buy skins from them, even though I like them a lot)

Edited by Cinos Field
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, Desiree Moonwinder said:

I'm glad my third party viewer makes that easy.

Yeah same here. I override it. I'm sure there's a reason region owners don't want us to fly, whether it's because they want us to explore or because they want it to feel immersive. I get that. But leave it up to the consumer who may not have much  time in world to walk it. 

1 minute ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Yeah same here. I override it. I'm sure there's a reason region owners don't want us to fly, whether it's because they want us to explore or because they want it to feel immersive. I get that. But leave it up to the consumer who may not have much  time in world to walk it. 

Well, the historical reason is that they don't want competitor's alts flying up to their workshop to copybot their next big thing before they launch it.  Nowadays our computers are powerful enough to cam up there anyway without difficulty, and other measures are necessary. 

• Haha 1

I use the Firestorm option of 'always fly after teleport' so that I can immediately fly away from the landing point.  I also use the Fly Override setting so that I can always fly if I want.  However, most of the time, after flying away from the TP spot to someplace somewhat out of the way of others, I then cam shop.  I almost always stay in fly/hover mode, but if I'm at a location that is somewhat ***** about their no fly rules, then I'll make sure I'm hovering very close to the ground,  Since I cam shop, most store owners and CSRs don't notice that I'm technically still flying.

There are actually a few places that I've gone to that detect if you are flying and they will TP you out.  Those ones go on my list of places to never go back to.

Just now, Desiree Moonwinder said:

Well, the historical reason is that they don't want competitor's alts flying up to their workshop to copybot their next big thing before they launch it.  Nowadays our computers are powerful enough to cam up there anyway without difficulty, and other measures are necessary. 

This is the exact reason that a mesh body creator gave me for not allowing fly on their land.  She asked me how I was managing to fly when they have it turned off. Apparently she didn't know about the override setting.

18 minutes ago, Desiree Moonwinder said:

If they are using a "copybot" viewer, turning fly off isn't going to stop them from flying or camming up or teleporting wherever they please. The only way to reduce copybotting would be for LL to disallow 3rd party viewers, which would leave us with only the very limited LL viewer, piss more than half of the user base off and risk losing a sizable chunk of income. There is no way to completely eliminate copybotting in SL, even if LL were to disallow 3rd party viewers. Which is why they don't get involved in the legal proceedings of DMCA and why the DMCA process for SL is set up the way it is. It keeps LL out of the legal hot pot and away from the bottomless pit of neverending legal fees. Otherwise, SL would have disappeared into the ether long ago.

I walk most places, which is why no fly and no teleport is a problem. People who turn fly off on their land almost always fly around during building... so have no idea they've built a novelty dungeon with traps all over it.

People who cam don't see this, because you have to walk to understand that the ponds have no way to get out and the rock physics is designed to absorb the unwary who walk over them. Flying is the best way to escape. Teleporting can be an alternative way out, but if fly is turned off, teleport routing is probably turned on.

The best is when the landing point is also a trap. It's set for the build the region used two years ago, so you land at the bottom of the ocean with no way out other than camming and sitting on something. Then you have to walk back to where you were, avoiding rocks or getting too close to the water, and hope you make it this time. It's an experience for sure, but not the immersive experience they were trying to enforce by not allowing fly.

Edited by Polenth Yue
  • Like 2

I once got a nasty IM from a skin store CSR about their no-fly rule while airborne in their sim. Fine, I'll just spend my money elsewhere where they don't make it hard for me to navigate their stores.

I can understand disabling fly for roleplaying and RL historical immersion sims.  But in places of commerce, what purpose does it serve to do that?  I am not leaning on my arrow key for two whole minutes just to reach the vendor.  They need to get over themselves.

Edited by Gregorian Chant
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Whirly mentioned how to override it in the LL viewer. in case you missed it.

23 minutes ago, sternerregnix said:

Flying SHOULD be turned off. No need for it. Don't want to visit a store and see people flying around and all crazy stuff. Very unrealistic and totally selfish RP. Hope LL look into this and remove the 'override' option. We're people, not birds.

are you serious??  bcause one reason I use sl is the ability to fly like a bird.. Actually in world my name is little sparrow so why should I be walking?  You probably hate furries to, on account of we are not animals and whatnot. ; 0

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Polenth Yue said:

I walk most places, which is why no fly and no teleport is a problem. People who turn fly off on their land almost always fly around during building... so have no idea they've built a novelty dungeon with traps all over it.

People who cam don't see this, because you have to walk to understand that the ponds have no way to get out and the rock physics is designed to absorb the unwary who walk over them. Flying is the best way to escape. Teleporting can be an alternative way out, but if fly is turned off, teleport routing is probably turned on.

The best is when the landing point is also a trap. It's set for the build the region used two years ago, so you land at the bottom of the ocean with no way out other than camming and sitting on something. Then you have to walk back to where you were, avoiding rocks or getting too close to the water, and hope you make it this time. It's an experience for sure, but not the immersive experience they were trying to enforce by not allowing fly.

I see you've been to my sim...... ; P

Edited by Tarina Sewell
I mean region
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

If you use FS, just turn on double click teleports, then cam to where you want to go and double click the floor or ground. If I need to adjust my cam after tp I just hit the left and right arrows simultaneously to reset.

Prefs > Move & View > Movement

Single click to walk, double click to tp. \o/

I have that on.

With fast port off on the land, you just end up at the landing spot each time and not where you wanted to fast port to.

7 hours ago, Vanity Fair said:

I got that warning too. I said "good-bye."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sternerregnix said:

Flying SHOULD be turned off. No need for it. Don't want to visit a store and see people flying around and all crazy stuff. Very unrealistic and totally selfish RP. Hope LL look into this and remove the 'override' option. We're people, not birds.

Isn't it the definition of "selfish RP" to prevent others from flying because "humans can't fly?" 🤔

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Polenth Yue said:

you have to walk to understand that the ponds have no way to get out and the rock physics is designed to absorb the unwary who walk over them.

You are so right there.  How many times have I used the MP slurl of a merchant and found myself stuck under something because they didn't bother to change/check their own link from the MP  (but thats a whole other issue and i am going off topic)

• Like 2

13 hours ago, sternerregnix said:

Actually, we're not people, we're fantasy pixels. And as for my EAGLE AVATAR? Your personal bubble of world experience appears to be a lot smaller than most others.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1749 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.