Do you care about your render cost?

Cinos Field

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1650 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Highest I have ever seen: 1.2 Million. Yes. really. But only once ever. I suspect it was an experiment on their part because there is just no other explanation for that.

9 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Complexity numbers over a million indicate that the person's probably wearing a graphics crasher.

I posted this picture on  Flickr early last year.  This is a dress I found while going through some of my older stuff to decide whether or not to keep it for BoM.  The dress alone has a CI of 2,799,508.  The hair that I paired it with for the picture was another wildly high item that I found in inventory -- it came in at just shy of 250,000.  The gown is truly beautiful and moves wonderfully, but definitely extravagant in the resource usage dept. 

Old Extremely High CI Outfit

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Cinos Field said:

Hello, dear Second Life! I have a question: do you care about your render cost/complexity/polycount?

For example, if you had hair that you really liked, but was 100k triangles, would you wear that or a 10k hair that you like a little less? How about an ideal 500k polygon body, or a 20k great one?

The examples are arbitrary, but I'd like to get a feel for what the average user feels. Is your appearance all that matters, or are there things you'd not be willing to do just for beauty's sake?

I realize that might sound a little judgmental but it's really not meant to; I just want to hear thoughts from people I don't yet know about this!

I try to stay at 50k or under and definitely cap it at 100k unless it is some special outfit.  I actually trashed almost all of my old hair that was 30k or more.  Now that I have a mesh body, I don't wear much jewelry anymore.  I am not a jewelry person in RL and only wore it in SL because I needed bracelets to hide those ugly wrists and bracelets seemed lonely without necklace and earrings.  These days I almost always only wear a choker to deal with the seam between my system head and my mesh body.

4 hours ago, janetosilio said:

So the question is: does anyone drop their max complexity below 100k? I’m kind of curious now.

Mine is typically set anywhere from 30-50k.  Primarily because I'll set it low when I'm in a crowded area and forget to reset it.  Even when I reset it, the only time I set it above 100k is if I specifically want to see someone that is jellied out or at a party where I'm taking pictures.

53 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Now, if someone would invent flexi mesh ......

46 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Am I wrong, or am I starting to see a few more hair makers reintegrate a bit of flexi into mesh styles?

I thought I saw someone advertise some mesh hairs combined with some flexi, but for the life of me cannot remember.  If I bought any, then I'm also having trouble finding it.  I am pretty sure there is a bit out there somewhere.

Siss Boom and Sascha's are both doing some mesh-flexi combo dresses/gowns.  There are some other creators that have done so also, but many of them are still really high CI flexi stuff like the olden days.  Thus I was really happy when Siss Boom released this low CI one -- the entire gown, with 2 flexi skirt attachments is only 17,812 CI.

image.thumb.png.60e66189562a561b25e2ebdc91b8cd30.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

I wear mine because I'm likely to change shoes or some other bit of my appearance and then have to change my foot position or alpha out different parts of my body.  Even when I don't change clothing, I always seem to discover while dancing that some body part starts poking through unexpectedly.  If I wasn't already wearing the HUD, I'd have to dig around in inventory to attach the thing.  I'm just lazy enough to say, "Screw that" and leave the HUD attached. That doesn't do anything to my complexity and it makes me happy.

Thanks for the explanation! I'm one of those lazy girls who only changes outfits once per week, so I wasn't thinking in terms of changing from flat feet to high, etc. I do have my HUD in the little Favorite Wearables window in Firestorm for easy access, so that's kind of the same thing I guess. :)

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

is a few now who are animating some [mesh] hair strands yes

I have some really cute ones from Exxess that have both static and animated ("breeze") versions in the folder, and I have some like that from another creator whose name I can't recall at the moment. I must have gotten too used to static mesh hair (even though I wore flexi hair for quite some time), because the breezy hairs look a bit odd to me now!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Siss Boom and Sascha's are both doing some mesh-flexi combo dresses/gowns.  There are some other creators that have done so also, but many of them are still really high CI flexi stuff like the olden days.  Thus I was really happy when Siss Boom released this low CI one -- the entire gown, with 2 flexi skirt attachments is only 17,812 CI.

Oh! I haven't gone swoosh on a dance floor in years!!!

Hmmmmm.

34 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Catwa has some mesh/flexi hair styles.

Ok, interesting. I've never looked there for hair.

The more I think about it, the more I think that it may have been Dura that I saw had mesh/flexi hair. Maybe.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I have some really cute ones from Exxess that have both static and animated ("breeze") versions in the folder

Exxess is my current hair. I have 9 styles from them now.  I ended up with Exxess as I wanted ginger hair and I liked their ginger texture the best.  I do change to the other color textures sometimes but my 'me' color these days is ginger

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Oh! I haven't gone swoosh on a dance floor in years!!!

I truly miss swoosh.  When mesh came into vogue, the loss of swoosh was the big reason why I quit making clothing (well, that and I never could figure out rigging).  I kept some of the best flexi dresses and skirts that I made back in the day because they are lovely to dance in, but they definitely have a retro look now.  You just can't get that free, flowing look in mesh.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

I wear mine because I'm likely to change shoes or some other bit of my appearance and then have to change my foot position or alpha out different parts of my body.  Even when I don't change clothing, I always seem to discover while dancing that some body part starts poking through unexpectedly.  If I wasn't already wearing the HUD, I'd have to dig around in inventory to attach the thing.  I'm just lazy enough to say, "Screw that" and leave the HUD attached. That doesn't do anything to my complexity and it makes me happy.

Just don't forget the number of scripts you tote around contribute to lag. Doesn't hurt to keep a copy handy at the top of your inventory for quick easy access.

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I posted this picture on  Flickr early last year.  This is a dress I found while going through some of my older stuff to decide whether or not to keep it for BoM.  The dress alone has a CI of 2,799,508.  The hair that I paired it with for the picture was another wildly high item that I found in inventory -- it came in at just shy of 250,000.  The gown is truly beautiful and moves wonderfully, but definitely extravagant in the resource usage dept. 

Old Extremely High CI Outfit

How in the world did you ambulate in that?

5 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Just don't forget the number of scripts you tote around contribute to lag.

Well, no, that's actually only true for the brief instant when you teleport into a new region.  Scripts shouldn't make any difference to lag while you're in the region.

• Like 2

I keep the count in my outfit names. Most are under 60k. One or two,  like fur jackets, push me up to around 110. I do like flexi hair and two of my Catwa hairs are my favourites, but they are OK on count.

You dont need huge numbers to look good! 

• Like 3

bare naked, meaning all my defaults, not counting clothes, without which I wouldn't be me , I have 20 attachments for 73,673 Complexity. Clothes, huds, and other stuff are extra. I pretty much max out all my attachment points most days

mesh hasn't changed my behaviour really.  In prim/sculpt days I used to often max. out my attachments as well

I’m usually sitting around 80-100. Sometimes when I’ve got a speciality outfit on, I’ll get into the 150 range but I usually then start to value engineer in downwards. 

I have some items that push my complexity numbers like these sun glasses I have that alone are 50k! So, I just never wear them anymore. To me it’s not worth the lag, Rez time and not showing up to anyone when I’m out, to have complexity above 175 +

For me, I can get by in most outfits sitting around 100. Regarding my body HUDs, yes I keep them active because I’m usually shopping 🛍, thus trying on stuff or photographing myself and I need access to Alpha, mask layers, foot positions, base hair etc... 

I have never seen anyone in the 500-1,000 range, not that FS would render that!

Edited by Saravendi

Oh heck yes, I care!  I don't wear huds when not in use, cringe when I go over 30k (prefer to be in the low 20's wherever possible) but oh, how wonderful a measly 500 would be :D. Wonder if we'll ever see numbers that low?

I cringe now when thinking back to the beginning and how I thought all that flexi hair was just the bees knees

13 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The gown is truly beautiful and moves wonderfully, but definitely extravagant in the resource usage dept. 

It's the textures. I discovered while trying on an old system-based outfit that had only four prims - the usual loin-cloth pieces (to create a dress) and two armlets and the render cost was 650k. I couldn't figure it out, until I experimented and wore each piece one-at-a-time. Armlets: Simple hollow cylinder = 370k each. Made copy, set to "blank" texture, new score = 120 (or something). Wow. So, many times it is just bad texturing.

Edited by Alyona Su

2 hours ago, AnyaJurelle said:

Oh heck yes, I care!  I don't wear huds when not in use, cringe when I go over 30k (prefer to be in the low 20's wherever possible) but oh, how wonderful a measly 500 would be :D. Wonder if we'll ever see numbers that low?

I cringe now when thinking back to the beginning and how I thought all that flexi hair was just the bees knees

1.  HUDs don't add a thing to avatar complexity.  Some claim that HUDs with a lot of scripts create lag, while others disagree.  Me, I simply take off un-needed HUDs because they take up too much screen space.  (And hey, HUD creators -- try to make them SMALL, OK?)

2.  I still think flexi hair is the bees' knees.  Mesh hair looks like I used a whole can of freeze spray on it.  I'll put up with some strands in my shoulders, in return for the pretty movement.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

1.  HUDs don't add a thing to avatar complexity.  Some claim that HUDs with a lot of scripts create lag, while others disagree.  Me, I simply take off un-needed HUDs because they take up too much screen space.  (And hey, HUD creators -- try to make them SMALL, OK?)

2.  I still think flexi hair is the bees' knees.  Mesh hair looks like I used a whole can of freeze spray on it.  I'll put up with some strands in my shoulders, in return for the pretty movement.

Ooops - sorry Lindal!! Although it made perfect sense to me, apparently no one's a mind reader and hasn't a clue what I was rabbiting on about.  

I was referring to my (probably vain) attempts to help reduce lag by not contributing to it (removing huds, killing scripts in heads/clothes/hair where possible, etc) - and yes, I realize complexity has nothing to do with that...this is just what happens  'upstairs' when too many thoughts collide at once and you think you're making perfect sense.

If I were to use the FS built in AO I wouldn't even have one HUD showing on my screen.

I'm currently using the AO that came with my VISTA head, so it's all Bento. I'm not real thrilled with some of the stands in it and I'd like to use some of my old stands but they aren't bento so I have no idea if the non Bentos will even work with the VISTA Zoe head and the Lara body, much less in the FS built in AO.

So, until I finally get a round tuit, I'm stuck with a single HUD showing on my screen. :( :D

25 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

If I were to use the FS built in AO I wouldn't even have one HUD showing on my screen.

I'm currently using the AO that came with my VISTA head, so it's all Bento. I'm not real thrilled with some of the stands in it and I'd like to use some of my old stands but they aren't bento so I have no idea if the non Bentos will even work with the VISTA Zoe head and the Lara body, much less in the FS built in AO.

So, until I finally get a round tuit, I'm stuck with a single HUD showing on my screen. :( :D

They will. I mix and match bento/non bento all the time in the FS AO. 

Edited by Gadget Portal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1650 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.