Do you care about your render cost?

Cinos Field

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1607 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Highest I have ever seen: 1.2 Million

Must have been the same female av I ran across a few months ago. I posted the amount in a thread somewhere. Maybe the derail thread.

Even though she was an automatic jellydoll, her av lagged me so badly I had to leave the open air store I was at until she was gone.

2 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

I keep getting the message that I'm over a limit and people may not be able to see me but then I also get a message that people can see me now when I don't change anything. I keep my graphics preference to the setting just under ultra but in crowded Sims I drop it to just above minimum. I see lots of jelly dolls but I can move around. I think high arc settings might not be too important because our clients can simply not render them 

I think this second message happens when the person who had you jellydolled leaves the area, not because you changed anything. **My autocorrect wants to change jellydolled to jellydoll education real bad. 😆

To answer the question, I do try to keep my complexity under 100k and am usually able to come in under 40k including jewelry, hair and accessories like drinks or purses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Eva Knoller said:
2 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

I keep getting the message that I'm over a limit and people may not be able to see me but then I also get a message that people can see me now when I don't change anything. I keep my graphics preference to the setting just under ultra but in crowded Sims I drop it to just above minimum. I see lots of jelly dolls but I can move around. I think high arc settings might not be too important because our clients can simply not render them 

I think this second message happens when the person who had you jellydolled leaves the area, not because you changed anything. **My autocorrect wants to change jellydolled to jellydoll education real bad. 😆

To answer the question, I do try to keep my complexity under 100k and am usually able to come in under 40k including jewelry, hair and accessories like drinks or purses.

I was told by a techno-nerd that this is exactly the case (or they manually rendered you) - but yet I can get both messages when I am ALONE IN THE REGION* and no adjoining regions. So, ummm... LOL?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Alyona Su said:

I was told by a techno-nerd that this is exactly the case (or they manually rendered you) - but yet I can get both messages when I am ALONE IN THE REGION* and no adjoining regions. So, ummm... LOL?

That’s really odd. I will have to pay more attention to it now.

Piggy backing off of this: the default complexity is 250k for firestorm, not sure about LL default viewer or other tpv’s.

I’ve already stated I drop mine a little lower than 250k to around 180k.

So the question is: does anyone drop their max complexity below 100k? I’m kind of curious now.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Eva Knoller said:

I think this second message happens when the person who had you jellydolled leaves the area, not because you changed anything.

I don't think so. It happens to me when there isn't anyone else on the region, nor have I changed anything. And it will happen several times. When I'm idle, just logging in or even building. From what Miro Collas of FS support told me when I asked about it months ago, it's just one of the idiosyncracies of SL.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

Piggy backing off of this: the default complexity is 250k for firestorm, not sure about LL default viewer or other tpv’s.

I’ve already stated I drop mine a little lower than 250k to around 180k.

So the question is: does anyone drop their max complexity below 100k? I’m kind of curious now.

Sorry it's not 250k, it's 350k. I've been keeping mine maxed and I'm seriously considering dropping it some but I doubt I would ever set it below 100k.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

15 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Sorry it's not 250k, it's 350k. I've been keeping mine maxed and I'm seriously considering dropping it some but I doubt I would ever set it below 100k.

Actually, I think it depends on your own graphic settings. Since I set my graphics to “not quite ultra with a couple of extras.” Mine defaults to a max of 250k. It probably drops lower than 250k if your graphic settings are lower. I haven’t messed around with lower settings.

So I’m wondering. If people are on lower settings and the default max is lower, do they then lower it below 100k which I’m assuming would be the default if they have all of the graphics set to low, alm turned off etc.

While playing with my new "Spontaneous Moral Decay" avatar, I've discovered something interesting. That avatar, a collection of four cubes, each containing a particle emitter, has an ARC of 5700. While working with the emitter scripts, I noticed my Mac's fan spooling up. The CPU and Energy meters didn't show much change, but clearly the cooling system sensed an increase in power consumption.

I shut-down, plugged my Mac into my power meter and returned to SL. Idle power consumption, looking at my human avatar (ARC=125K), was about 200W. Switching to my four cube particle avatar brought power consumption up to 240W. Cam-ing in close to my avatar, as I did when editing, drove power consumption up to 270W.

So much for the value of ARC accounting!

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I don't think so. It happens to me when there isn't anyone else on the region, nor have I changed anything. And it will happen several times. When I'm idle, just logging in or even building. From what Miro Collas of FS support told me when I asked about it months ago, it's just one of the idiosyncracies of SL.

945C078F-DF97-42E0-9201-40621E6A55A7.jpeg.ba85e9b862ca39af12a806acaa8c948e.jpeg

But seriously though, if it’s giving those messages when no one is around then are we to believe the “rendered by” part of the message is ever accurate? Seems completely useless if not. Actually, it’s not that useful even if accurate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, janetosilio said:

Yes - as a Preset I call "Crowds" - I set max RC to absolutely minimum and all graphics (including basic shaders) to off and LOD to Maximum for shopping events. Such a breeze when I do that LOL I think (positive, but could be wrong) LL default is also 250k, Firestorm I know is 350k. I leave mine at default or even turn it down to maybe 200K? I don't remember. I do know that I do not turn it up past the default. And when I say "default", I am meaning :out-of-the-box default - settings after a fresh installation and before changing anything.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

I don't really worry a lot about it, but I don't have many attachments that lift my complexity dramatically.  If I go butt naked, with nothing but a pair of earrings and my favorite hair, I clock in at 29,739.  Wearing heels and a relaxed summer dress, I'm up to 35, 967.  Switching to mermaid mode, I go up only slightly more to 39,403.  The highest that I reach with any of the outfits that I use often is 61,856.  That's wearing my animesh horse and my Woodstock finery.

86f390ca7ced7ea3ae80e3c0ca6d8b81.jpg

If I end up looking naked in a crowd, it's because I choose to, not because my complexity has swamped someone's ability to render my outfits. 😎

[ETA: All my outfits include my Maitreya HUD and at least one other HUD, but even those don't make much difference to my complexity.]

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 7

I have settings to always show complexity of myself and others below their name, so it does matter to me, but only for myself. I always keep things for me under 50k complexity total, which is quite easy to do. My very favorite hair weighs in at 75k just by itself, so I never use it :(  Even though it's my favorite ever, with the rest of me and outfit, no way I can be under 100k, so because I'm stubborn, it sits alone and sad in my inventory. Complexity is just one of those things I obsess over. If someone else has 700k by me, I don't notice any decrease in performance personally, I just like knowing. If it's a friend, I might bring it up. Highest was a horse avi with a gigantic flexi mane and tail that weighed in at  a little over 2.3 million!

I dunno. It just bothers me knowing I might be a jelly doll to people with it set low. I'm no jelly doll!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

I keep getting the message that I'm over a limit and people may not be able to see me but then I also get a message that people can see me now when I don't change anything.

The reason this happens is because your viewer is reading what other people have their complexity limits set to.  When someone with a low setting moves into range, you get the warning, and when they go away, you get the "all clear" message.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20190911_complexity.thumb.png.549d069d592f17e83a9401ab4c908a0c.png

I do care about my complexity, the picture shows one of my most complex appearances; 37 of 38 slots used, complexity 98,339. I have high-lighted, what parts add to the complexity, in this case the jewellery and the base Maitreya Mesh Body - Lara V4.1 and LeLutka Bento Head.

Given all the parts I'm wearing, this is a quite remarkable low complexity thanks to good mesh designs by the creators of the different parts.

I have some older burlesque dance outfit, where feathers and head piece sky rocket me to like 248K complexity. A naked Lara with LeLutka Bento Head and DeLa hair is 21k complexity.

I wish more ppl would give attention to their complexity , especial crowded places like Fogbound Blues or shopping events - often it is caused by old hair, jewels, shoes and updating to modern mesh looks better and normal lower complexity by a huge factor.

My own max complexity in Firestorm is 254,655 - and I normally de-render ppl over this threshold.

Be a good Second Life citizen - keep your complexity  below 300K 😃 and the lower the better 👍

• Like 3

There are lower limits that I will not compromise on.  As I said earlier, my butt naked complexity is 29,739.  Some of that is my Maitreya mesh body and HUD and my LAQ head, which I will not stop wearing now.  I also will not stop wearing my favorite flexi hair, despite the fact that I know it bumps my complexity more than mesh hair would. I just tried wearing the new Delerium hair from Truth, which drops my bare naked complexity to 22,445.  It's lovely, but it's static like all mesh is.  I won't give up the beautiful, dynamic look of my flexi hair even if it does drop my complexity by 25%. Now, if someone would invent flexi mesh ......

fc39514f089d8f54abe8cd5090cea2ec.jpg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

There are lower limits that I will not compromise on.  As I said earlier, my butt naked complexity is 29,739.  Some of that is my Maitreya mesh body and HUD and my LAQ head, which I will not stop wearing now.  I also will not stop wearing my favorite flexi hair, despite the fact that I know it bumps my complexity more than mesh hair would. I just tried wearing the new Delerium hair from Truth, which drops my bare naked complexity to 22,445.  It's lovely, but it's static like all mesh is.  I won't give up the beautiful, dynamic look of my flexi hair even if it does drop my complexity by 25%. Now, if someone would invent flexi mesh ......

fc39514f089d8f54abe8cd5090cea2ec.jpg

This reminds me, why do people wear their Maitreya HUDs around? I have a Maitreya body but can't figure out why I'd want the HUD on all the time. Am I missing out on some very handy use for it? 

9 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I might look abso fabbo to myself, but if everyone else is seeing me as a jelly doll, what's the point?

I was at a wedding where the bride was over 400,000 I am sure she looked wonderful, but I couldn't see her.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

This reminds me, why do people wear their Maitreya HUDs around? I have a Maitreya body but can't figure out why I'd want the HUD on all the time. Am I missing out on some very handy use for it? 

I wear mine because I'm likely to change shoes or some other bit of my appearance and then have to change my foot position or alpha out different parts of my body.  Even when I don't change clothing, I always seem to discover while dancing that some body part starts poking through unexpectedly.  If I wasn't already wearing the HUD, I'd have to dig around in inventory to attach the thing.  I'm just lazy enough to say, "Screw that" and leave the HUD attached. That doesn't do anything to my complexity and it makes me happy.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1607 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.