Jump to content
Cinos Field

Do you care about your render cost?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Frank Ziplon said:

Why didn't I look there, that explains why I see no Jellies, mine is set to no limit. Can't remember setting it to that, but I guess I did at some point.

If I'm not mistaken that is the default setting when you install the viewer. So you probably never changed the setting.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found Firestorm's complexity settings for anyone interested.

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_avatar_complexity_settings#default_complexity_settings

  • Low: 35,000
  • Low-Mid: 100,000
  • Mid: 200,000
  • Mid-High: 250,000
  • High: 300,000
  • High-Ultra: 350,000
  • Ultra: 350,000

Mine is set at High-Ultra by default for my GTX1050. I leave it there most of the time. So it looks like Janet must have hers set at mid-High which is a good bit lower than mine.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Selene Gregoire said:

If I'm not mistaken that is the default setting when you install the viewer. So you probably never changed the setting.

 

Ah that would explain why I can't remember doing it. Well I better get off for some zs, I totally lost track of time tonight and have been online all night, it's gone 6am lol

 

1 minute ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I found Firestorm's complexity settings for anyone interested.

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_avatar_complexity_settings#default_complexity_settings

  • Low: 35,000
  • Low-Mid: 100,000
  • Mid: 200,000
  • Mid-High: 250,000
  • High: 300,000
  • High-Ultra: 350,000
  • Ultra: 350,000

Mine is set at High-Ultra by default for my GTX1050. I leave it there most of the time.

Good to know, though it seems I might have selected no limit after all lol. I use high-ultra too. Well off for a nap for me, been on all night without realizing it, it's 6.38am so not much sleep in store for me, mind you it is the weekend, so I guess I can sleep in.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I found Firestorm's complexity settings for anyone interested.

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_avatar_complexity_settings#default_complexity_settings

  • Low: 35,000
  • Low-Mid: 100,000
  • Mid: 200,000
  • Mid-High: 250,000
  • High: 300,000
  • High-Ultra: 350,000
  • Ultra: 350,000

Mine is set at High-Ultra by default for my GTX1050. I leave it there most of the time. So it looks like Janet must have hers set at mid-High which is a good bit lower than mine.

Thank you for this. 👍

Just checked mine and am currently sitting at Low-Mid at 57,000. None of my outfits so far come close to High-Ultra. Yet. 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Frank Ziplon said:

Wow that's interesting, though I think possibly coincidental, rather than anything to do with set home to here. So far as I am aware setting home doesn't offer any special privileges in terms of lag, but hey who knows, LL may well favour people who spend on homes.

I personally seldom experience lag anywhere, the vast majority of lag is on the client side, despite what some will argue, I use to get a lot of lag in the old days when I only had a basic computer with on-board graphics and as I like to put it, you can't expect a Ferrari experience driving a Ford.

I experience lag all the time EXCEPT where I rent, have items rezzed and/or SET HOME TO HERE.  

And, I'm talking about having no lag on land rental sims not skyboxes.

I've rented a lot of stores on land sims and lived in a large community Butterfly Hollow which rezzed great every day.  I rent on VERY large shopping sims and have no lag.  Once I stop renting there and have my shops somewhere else, the lag is horrific if I try to rez those large shopping sims I'm no longer renting on.

I don't think it is a coincidence.  

But, since you don't experience any lag...anyone can try the following...try finding one of the those FREE large land sims where you can SET HOME TO HERE and see if it improves or gets rid of your lag.  It does mine! 

And my complexity is runs in a range of 50k to 80k is my average, somewhere in there. 

And, the special privilege wouldn't be coming through LL...it would be coming through the land thing (it's under WORLD I think).  I don't know what to call it.  

I think set home to here is some kind of clearance, otherwise, as I said, we are all potential eject-ables.  I wish SL didn't have to be so paranoid.  

Are people really going to hurt other's land?

Edited by FairreLilette

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RaeLeeH said:

Just checked mine and am currently sitting at Low-Mid at 57,000. None of my outfits so far come close to High-Ultra. Yet. 🤔

That particular setting (low, mid, ultra, etc...) and associated numbers (max complexity) have nothing to do with your own outfits.  That is the slider setting on the Graphics General tab and initially defaults to some value that Firestorm decides is appropriate for your particular graphics card.  You can then change it if you wish. The slider also affects the initial setting of all of the things below that slider, though you can also change each of those items without changing the slider.  So either you modified yours to be set to Low-Mid or Firestorm did that based on your graphics care the first time you started the viewer.

None of the above has anything to do with your own complexity value.  The viewer will always render you even if your setting for others is 30,000 and your complexity happens to be 2 million (like the picture I posted).  The max complexity setting only indicates the point at which other avatars will be shown in full or shown as jelly dolls.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RaeLeeH said:

Thank you for this. 👍

Just checked mine and am currently sitting at Low-Mid at 57,000. None of my outfits so far come close to High-Ultra. Yet. 🤔

Desktop or laptop? Mine's desktop although I have a laptop that will run SL in circles around my desktop.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FairreLilette said:

I experience lag all the time EXCEPT where I rent, have items rezzed and/or SET HOME TO HERE.  

And, I'm talking about having no lag on land rental sims not skyboxes.

I've rented a lot of stores on land sims and lived in a large community Butterfly Hollow which rezzed great every day.  I rent on VERY large shopping sims and have no lag.  Once I stop renting there and have my shops somewhere else, the lag is horrific if I try to rez those large shopping sims I'm no longer renting on.

I don't think it is a coincidence.  

But, since you don't experience any lag...anyone can try the following...try finding one of the those FREE large land sims where you can SET HOME TO HERE and see if it improves or gets rid of your lag.  It does mine! 

And my complexity is runs in a range of 50k to 80k is my average, somewhere in there. 

And, the special privilege wouldn't be coming through LL...it would be coming through the land thing (it's under WORLD I think).  I don't know what to call it.  

I think set home to here is some kind of clearance, otherwise, as I said, we are all potential eject-ables.  I wish SL didn't have to be so paranoid.  

Are people really going to hurt other's land?

Setting home somewhere as no affect on the amount of lag you experience or don't experience. If you want to understand what lag is and what causes it in SL read this: https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/lag

That page also has links to the pages that help you reduce your lag as much as possible.

 

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

That particular setting (low, mid, ultra, etc...) and associated numbers (max complexity) have nothing to do with your own outfits.  That is the slider setting on the Graphics General tab and initially defaults to some value that Firestorm decides is appropriate for your particular graphics card.  You can then change it if you wish. The slider also affects the initial setting of all of the things below that slider, though you can also change each of those items without changing the slider.  So either you modified yours to be set to Low-Mid or Firestorm did that based on your graphics care the first time you started the viewer.

None of the above has anything to do with your own complexity value.  The viewer will always render you even if your setting for others is 30,000 and your complexity happens to be 2 million (like the picture I posted).  The max complexity setting only indicates the point at which other avatars will be shown in full or shown as jelly dolls.

 

I read "outfits" as referring to her computer(s), not SL clothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FairreLilette said:

I experience lag all the time EXCEPT where I rent, have items rezzed and/or SET HOME TO HERE.  

And, I'm talking about having no lag on land rental sims not skyboxes.

I've rented a lot of stores on land sims and lived in a large community Butterfly Hollow which rezzed great every day.  I rent on VERY large shopping sims and have no lag.  Once I stop renting there and have my shops somewhere else, the lag is horrific if I try to rez those large shopping sims I'm no longer renting on.

I don't think it is a coincidence. 

It's not a coincidence, but it's not directly tied to your Home location either.

I think that what you are experiencing is a function of your viewer's texture cache.

The cache contains your most recently/frequently viewed textures.  If you are often at one location, such as your Home, those textures will be in your cache, and they'll load fast.  If you go to a location you visit less frequently, the textures will have to download, and you'll experience a lot more lag until they do.

One way to help reduce this is to increase the size of your texture cache.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

It's not a coincidence, but it's not directly tied to your Home location either.

I think that what you are experiencing is a function of your viewer's texture cache.

The cache contains your most recently/frequently viewed textures.  If you are often at one location, such as your Home, those textures will be in your cache, and they'll load fast.  If you go to a location you visit less frequently, the textures will have to download, and you'll experience a lot more lag until they do.

One way to help reduce this is to increase the size of your texture cache.

Yeah, but I only go to two clubs regularly and I have rezzed those textures hundreds of times and it's still so laggy, even if my texture cache saw it 12,000 times already.

But, I will give it a try...what size should I increase my texture cache too?

But, also I wanted to say...I rent at very large shopping sims that are so laggy you wouldn't believe it as there must 200 shops or more!  But, as soon as I pay my rent, I can rez it fine and I'm ready to go to set up shop.  So, how do we explain that?  And, I only visited the sim once maybe twice before renting.  But, I had to fly just to get moving anywhere at all to look around the sim to find a vacant store.

Also, some say it's because of 1024 x 1024 textures.  Well, again, as soon as I pay, I can rez 1024 textures just fine on very large shopping sims.  Whereas, those same sims with the 1024 x 1024 textures take about 45 minutes to rez once I am no longer renting there.

It's a pattern I've experienced.  I dunno what it is, but I am happy in my SL nevertheless.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's...really weird.

Since I haven't changed my SL residence very often, I'm not in a position to dispute your finding, but I'm not aware of anything in the land controls that would give performance preference to a particular person.

As for the texture cache size, I used to make mine as large as the viewer setting would allow.  Until I found that, if one needs to manually delete it for any reason, it could take a very long time!  Nowadays, I just sort of compromise between the max and whatever I feel comfortable about waiting for my system to clear.  Four or five GB, if I recall.

Busy clubs will always be laggy...those pesky, high complexity avatars, you know, with all those 1024 textures, different all the time.  What's a poor texture cache going to do, to keep up with that?

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

That's...really weird.

Since I haven't changed my SL residence very often, I'm not in a position to dispute your finding, but I'm not aware of anything in the land controls that would give performance preference to a particular person.

As for the texture cache size, I used to make mine as large as the viewer setting would allow.  Until I found that, if one needs to manually delete it for any reason, it could take a very long time!  Nowadays, I just sort of compromise between the max and whatever I feel comfortable about waiting for my system to clear.  Four or five GB, if I recall.

Busy clubs will always be laggy...those pesky, high complexity avatars, you know, with all those 1024 textures, different all the time.  What's a poor texture cache going to do, to keep up with that?

Okay, I will try later and see if I can rez at one of those super, super large shopping sims.  I think maybe it's too many stores in one area though.  I don't know if making multi-levels (like some up in sky) would help at all?

Some of the shopping sims have too many stores...but I would like to go and browse but I can't move and lots of gray (won't rez) if I am not renting there.  

EDIT:  Just wanted to add along with perhaps multi leveling stores...is to put a rider to get from store to store because on ground, it's near impossible to move.  I have to fly.  So, what Butterfly Hollow does is it has a Butterfly Rider you ride on so you can see all the homes down below and see which ones are available for rent.  However, if you rent at Butterfly Hollow, you can easily walk around the sim on ground.  I know, I rented at Butterfly Hollow for eight months and I could walk the sim very, very easily without any problem as a RENTER.

I think the complexity thing is way over-rated from my personal experience.  Be the avi you want to be and let other's de-render you if they think it is going to help.  De-rendering does nothing to help me.  I've tried it.  

 

Edited by FairreLilette

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, I set my cache up and NO it did nothing to help.  Just to rez the trees took 20 minutes.  However, I rented on that sim before (the one I just visited) and once I pay...I can rez all almost immediately, and it's a big sim!   And, when I rent on various sims I don't visit that often.  So, I don't think it is the texture cache or complexity or 1024 x 1024 textures.  

I think and I want to speak honestly about this issue...I think that SL is high security because of minors trying to get onto the grid and into the sims.

However, even with payment info on file and filing tickets where the Lindens know my real email address and my real name doesn't seem to help.

I think what I am going to do is go PREMIUM.  I haven't gone premium yet because I need to know if the payment is taken directly out of my checking account or do I pay in Lindens?   I am not real cool about an auto pay going through my checking account if I don't know which day the payment would be taken out as I wouldn't want an over-draft on my checking account.

But, I have heard SL is better with Premium and I want to try it.  How do I find out how it's paid for a month to month payment?

Edited by FairreLilette

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keeping your complexity around 50-70K (with a full mesh body, head, ao, hair, clothes and accessories) shouldn`t be a problem if you are willing to abandon some older meshes and prim hair/jewelry ..You can see it  by example from some prominent mesh makers, their older stuff can add nearly 100K per mesh, but more recent items (created in the last  two years) rarely go over 15K....

Speaking of LODs, different rules apply for rigged mesh (and fitted ofc), so seeing everything right from a distance in that case is not creator`s achievement, it`s just how SL is made to work...

Nothing will ever change, unless majority of residents suddenly start caring about optimized content and creators who spend a lot of extra time to provide such content get rewarded for the effort...sadly that is not how SL market works...

@FairreLilette I use Premium for a long time and I can say there is no difference in  viewer performance or anything like that, the only benefits are as stated by LL; access to Live Help, weekly stipend, more group slots, LL home...You can see payment schedule on your home page/account summary at any given time, so there are no surprises..if you do not have any funds on your card at the time, you will be notified/reminded via e-mail...

Speaking of lag, I noticed the size of my inventory plays a role as well...I have zero lag and my FPS is a lot better on my alt account which is only used as storage for my 2nd store, so inventory is a lot smaller...everything else is same for both accounts, same machine, same viewer, same home, the only difference is the size of my inventory...I guess doing an inventory clean-up would help...I also often see ppl have their settings for machine and connection they wish they had instead for what they actually have....go through your settings and adjust things, lower draw distance, max avatars, max complexity, turn off shadows and keep general graphic settings on the level that allows you to run SL without issues , using cable instead of wifi can help a lot too...If you need higher settings at times, you can make presets (in firestorm at least) for quick access, this way you can switch easily without fiddling with all the buttons every time...LL wiki also suggests if avatars sit opposed to playing AO animations in the endless loop helps as well cause viewer calculates things differently in that case...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MaxMare said:

 

@FairreLilette I use Premium for a long time and I can say there is no difference in  viewer performance or anything like that, the only benefits are as stated by LL; access to Live Help, weekly stipend, more group slots, LL home...You can see payment schedule on your home page/account summary at any given time, so there are no surprises..if you do not have any funds on your card at the time, you will be notified/reminded via e-mail...

 

 

Oh, darn!  Well, thought it worth a try.  I still may try it for one month.

Perhaps it is in the Casper thing linked to Paypal because it gives me an option to pay via LINDENS or PAYPAL when I rent anywhere.  And, my Paypal account can verify I am not an underage minor for sure because underage minors do not have Paypal accounts, not in America anyhow.  

I mean this is real what I am talking about in this thread.  Dreadful lag, can't move, can't rez.  Then rent/pay and then I can move about freely and rez.  So, I dunno what it is then.  I'm not going to stress about it though because I have a happy SL nevertheless but I would like to rez a little more and move about a little more, of course.  

Edit:  And yes, I did go through the Adult verification process when I first joined.  So, I am adult verified too.  I think there was a process for that though cannot quite remember what it was.  

Edited by FairreLilette

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

That particular setting (low, mid, ultra, etc...) and associated numbers (max complexity) have nothing to do with your own outfits.  That is the slider setting on the Graphics General tab and initially defaults to some value that Firestorm decides is appropriate for your particular graphics card.  You can then change it if you wish. The slider also affects the initial setting of all of the things below that slider, though you can also change each of those items without changing the slider.  So either you modified yours to be set to Low-Mid or Firestorm did that based on your graphics care the first time you started the viewer.

None of the above has anything to do with your own complexity value.  The viewer will always render you even if your setting for others is 30,000 and your complexity happens to be 2 million (like the picture I posted).  The max complexity setting only indicates the point at which other avatars will be shown in full or shown as jelly dolls.

Okay it took me reading this thread twice to finally understand (I think? It's Sunday, I'm slower on the uptake than usual on the weekend XD).

I use Firestorm and haven't touched the Maximum Complexity settings so it's still at default 300,000, and not Low-Mid as I thought but High, is that right? 

So this means that I can see other avatars provided their complexity is 300,000 or less or else they appear as a jelly doll to me, correct? So are the numbers above my head MY complexity settings, meaning that if someone else had their Maximum Complexity threshold at 300,000 they could see me, but of they had it set to something like 50,000 I would register as a jelly doll to them, am I following so far?

complexity.thumb.png.18cd9a810b5c731b4650f92e5555e6b8.png

11 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I read "outfits" as referring to her computer(s), not SL clothing.

Nope, I meant outfits as in clothes or hair or shoes I attach to my avatar... I sincerely don't intend to sound ignorant or sarcastic, I genuinely didn't know there was any other meaning to outfits beyond that. (And I'm on a laptop btw to answer your question). :) 

Aaaaaand now I'm back to feeling lost again. It really does boggle the mind to think how many others just like me are are wandering around blissfully unaware with bloated complexity. Truly if I learned all this at the start when I first joined SL I may never have joined. There's already a steep learning curve just trying to build an avatar much less purchase land or manage environment settings, and too many different places that give out sometimes conflicting information provided you even know where to look (or can find a reputable source). If it wasn't for the forums I would still be bumbling around (more than I am now) with little idea why I lag, what certain notices mean, or how to fix issues as they arise. Thank heavens for those of you who have already worn a path through the flames to help the rest of us. But now my head hurts. Time for another cuppa tea and a lay down to rest my old lady brain, me thinks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RaeLeeH said:

Am I following so far?

Yes you are, and you're giving me the creeps. I'm the one who's supposed to be following people!

You correctly understand how your ARC limit affects what you see, and how other's ARC limits affect how they see you. If your laptop starts sounding like a hair dryer when visiting a crowded venue, you can try reducing your ARC limit and/or the number of non-imposter avatars. Reducing the non-imposter avatar count to one will result in your own avatar being the only one fully rendered. Everyone else, regardless of their ARC, will be a jelly doll.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2019 at 2:33 PM, FairreLilette said:

However, even with payment info on file and filing tickets where the Lindens know my real email address and my real name doesn't seem to help.

I think what I am going to do is go PREMIUM.  I haven't gone premium yet because I need to know if the payment is taken directly out of my checking account or do I pay in Lindens?   I am not real cool about an auto pay going through my checking account if I don't know which day the payment would be taken out as I wouldn't want an over-draft on my checking account.

But, I have heard SL is better with Premium and I want to try it.  How do I find out how it's paid for a month to month payment?

OK, you have a payment method on file.  Good, that's the first step.

If you want to be Premium, you can sign up on a monthly, quarterly, or annual plan.  When you do, the payment will be taken out of your payment method, and will continue to be automatically billed to that payment method at each renewal date, unless you cancel your Premium subscription.  I think you said you use PayPal as your payment method.  If so, it's simple to keep enough money in your PayPal balance to pay your Premium fees.  Your checking account should never be accessed, except by you...because if there isn't enough in your PayPal balance to cover your bill, the payment will fail.

As for SL being "better with Premium"...there ARE a number of nice benefits to a Premium membership.  I wrote about them here:  https://acrossthegridwithlindal.blogspot.com/2018/01/premium-benefits-creep.html

However, better performance is not one of them.

  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't, and the first thing I do whenever I have to fix settings is set complexity to no limit. I have no use for any limitation that hampers the immersion of the world. Unless I'm meeting somebody who complicity decided on choosing a jellydoll avatar to represent themselves, I have no use for seeing one. I will crash every 20 minutes first.

The problem that is lag resides with sim owners and to a larger extent Linden Lab. I have been in a sim with 98 people and zero lag. I've been in sims with just me and the sim owner, and barely able to move. I was asked to lower my scripts. I did do so but boy was I laughing behind the keyboard. And before you assume so, no I was not wearing excessive scripts.

A 500K ARC lag inducing? Solve that problem, LL.

Oh and before I hear how difficult a problem that is - I am sure an idea like SL itself sounded like a monumental task in the late 90s when LL began. By 2003, not so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ARC is a poor measure of avatar-induced lag. It does not factor scripts in at all. It counts mainly prims and textures. An avatar with 30,000 ARC and 100 scripts will probably lag you more than one with 200,000 ARC and no scripts.

Edited by Matty Luminos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Adam Spark said:

I don't, and the first thing I do whenever I have to fix settings is set complexity to no limit. I have no use for any limitation that hampers the immersion of the world. Unless I'm meeting somebody who complicity decided on choosing a jellydoll avatar to represent themselves, I have no use for seeing one. I will crash every 20 minutes first.

The problem that is lag resides with sim owners and to a larger extent Linden Lab. I have been in a sim with 98 people and zero lag. I've been in sims with just me and the sim owner, and barely able to move. I was asked to lower my scripts. I did do so but boy was I laughing behind the keyboard. And before you assume so, no I was not wearing excessive scripts.

A 500K ARC lag inducing? Solve that problem, LL.

Oh and before I hear how difficult a problem that is - I am sure an idea like SL itself sounded like a monumental task in the late 90s when LL began. By 2003, not so much.

Linden Lab started out as a hardware company. They were building some sort of haptics device. Linden World was a test bed they created to test their gadget. The gadget didn't get funding but investors liked the look of Linden World, so we ended up with Second Life. Considering how much effort a company would put into designing a test bed, I'd say SL came out pretty well.

ARC doesn't have anything to do with server-side performance. It exists to work with jelly dolls to improve viewer-side performance. If someone is running an ancient graphics card or stuck with Intel built-in graphics, they can set max complexity so that their graphics system doesn't have to cook itself trying to render things it can't handle. Then the user can get a somewhat reasonable frame rate at the expense of not seeing some avatars that probably weren't worth looking at anyway.

LL *can* fix lag. They could implement a creator certification system and test that a creator would have to pass in order to create things for SL. That would keep mesh complexity and texture sizes reasonable, though a lot of other factors also need to be considered. Everyone else could buy the things the certified creators make and rez them, but not create anything themselves. Perhaps Aditi could be used for a training ground -- if someone came up with something they wanted to move over to the main grid they'd submit it to LL. GIven LL's size, they should get an approval/disapproval within a year or two.

16 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

ARC is a poor measure of avatar-induced lag. It does not factor scripts in at all. It counts mainly prims and textures. An avatar with 30,000 ARC and 100 scripts will probably lag you more than one with 200,000 ARC and no scripts.

As above, ARC is for the viewer side. Scripts are server-side, so shouldn't be involved in the ARC calculation. Scripts shouldn't lag your movement anyway. Scripts get the simulator's left-over frame time. What too many scripts do is reduce the time available for each active script. That would affect things like HUDs, vehicles, and make vendors slow to respond 😢 (as seen at crowded events). Yes, the ARC calculation isn't that great anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Parhelion Palou said:

LL *can* fix lag. They could implement a creator certification system

I seriously doubt they would ever do that, for one Second Life has always been a place where anyone can create and even sale their creations, obviously if they are prepared to put the effort into learning. To have some kind of certification system would alienate a great deal of users and also border on snobbery. Let's not forget also that LL make their cut from anything sold on the marketplace, so they would be losing out too. I read a blog recently on an external website that was laying into the creators of some of the more popular mesh avatars in Second Life, saying how these creators were sloppy and lazy in their creations and not properly optimizing for Second Life. I guess it's easy to be a critic, when you are not the one doing the work. If people feel they can achieve the same level of detail, with a more optimized model, then they should make one, not simply complain about other people's work.

Edited by Frank Ziplon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2019 at 11:33 AM, FairreLilette said:

Ok, I set my cache up and NO it did nothing to help.  Just to rez the trees took 20 minutes.  However, I rented on that sim before (the one I just visited) and once I pay...I can rez all almost immediately, and it's a big sim!   And, when I rent on various sims I don't visit that often.  So, I don't think it is the texture cache or complexity or 1024 x 1024 textures.  

I think and I want to speak honestly about this issue...I think that SL is high security because of minors trying to get onto the grid and into the sims.

However, even with payment info on file and filing tickets where the Lindens know my real email address and my real name doesn't seem to help.

I think what I am going to do is go PREMIUM.  I haven't gone premium yet because I need to know if the payment is taken directly out of my checking account or do I pay in Lindens?   I am not real cool about an auto pay going through my checking account if I don't know which day the payment would be taken out as I wouldn't want an over-draft on my checking account.

But, I have heard SL is better with Premium and I want to try it.  How do I find out how it's paid for a month to month payment?

Whatever is happening with your scene render time, it is some combination of things. Premium membership, rental status, home, and other permission related statuses have nothing to do with render time or lag. You can visit the Server-Scripting UG and ask the Linden engineers. You are suffering from a correlation problem and thinking you have a causation thing.

Increasing cache size does not initially make a difference. Once the cache is full, there still is little difference. The viewer cache has issues and the plan is to rebuild it. At least the Lindens keep talking about it. Where you see a big difference is at the CDN... Content Delivery Network. When you have to wait for the CDN server to load a texture you get a way slower scene render time.

For now the biggest difference in scene render seems to be a matter of which viewer you use and where you put its cache. I have Firestorm with a 10GB cache on a SSD drive and the Linden viewer's cache on a 5GB RAM drive. You'll have to experiment for best results. And there will be days when your home, visited multiple times per day, is still slow to render.

Also, Firestorm and some other viewers have a 'progressive draw distance' thing to make nearby stuff render first. It kicks in after a TP. You can play with those settings.

Security... there is no security that can control access via an age limit. SL had a much more complicated process years ago. No longer. Now they ask your age at signup and make it difficult to change. But, over the years advanced technology was put to use to defeat that security question. People developed the lie.

 

Edited by Nalates Urriah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...