Official Tilia Q&A Forum Thread (Related Questions Only)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1740 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a small value USD balance that has carried over from way back when I was an active store owner .. I can not purchase lindens to clear it .. and it is a smaller value than can be cashed out. Will there be a way for this to be cleared by some method or another so that I do not have this as an issue that may adversely effect my experience in Second Life?

9 hours ago, Linden Lab said:

Does this inactivity fee apply to the Lindens I have stored in my account?
No. This fee would only apply to those accounts with USD balances which have not accessed their Tilia account in any way (for example, to check balance) or had any credit processing transactions over a period of 12 months or more.

Just not getting it---if I go to https://id.secondlife.com and look at my dashboard where the USD I uploaded from my credit card into SL to buy Lindens, pay premium, tier  ---does that count as "checking my Tilia account"?

What confuses me is the same/different thing - you have to make a Tilia account but if you aren't going to use it for cashing out it seems abnormal to tell us to monitor "it."   And as Gertrude Stein said "there's no there there" unless her dashboard WAS  her Tilia account TOO.

Is Tilia like Brisbane (suburb of SF, rather a myth in local lore )? You know its there, but you'd be damned if you can ever find it.

If people aren't cashing out why not send them an email every 6 months(to be safe) - "click to see your Tilia account balance." 

Again, unless, just the dashboard is Tilia TOO.

You say paying the annual premium counts to avoid inactivity BUT some of us won't be paying their premium in some case for almost 2 years, depending on renewal date, if we prepaid to avoid the pop from 72 to 99. So we'd go inactive, right?

Finally, where did the name Tilia come from, I'll be at the Brisbane Beach and Boardwalk  awaiting a reply.

• Like 1

something bugging me. how is tilia new when certain features have been "powered" by it for awhile now? isn't it original based in the EU and is currently serving EU folks? did u buy EU Tilla from somebody else and make it comply with US law now, or have  u alway owned that subsidiary??

Edited by Sybaine Falconer
  • Like 2

Once you have received and verified ID in the form of scans for a user, are the scans destroyed? If not, where and how is it stored and for how long? Data is supposed to be kept for only as long as necessary. So in this case how long is necessary once it's been checked and verified?

Edited by Evangeline Arcadia
spelling
  • Like 3

Can you explain why those of us with no intention of ever withdrawing a single USD from SL even need to have this Tilia account at all?  Seriously:  payment information is one thing, and is certainly linked to a real world bank account which can hurt us financially if the information is stolen or misused, but requiring our SSN? 

Having lost my SS card twice in my lifetime, I can tell you that the amount of hassle one must endure to acquire a new one is extreme.  There's a reason for that.  A person's SSN is their IDENTITY!  Of all the information you could request, personal information of this nature is the worst.  This is information capable of being used not only to wipe out a bank account, but to create new debt and more.  Identity theft is a huge problem, and while I can understand requiring this information if it is necessary to comply with federal laws in regard to USD being paid out, it still does not explain the necessity of requiring the information for any other purpose.

Having read through the "privacy policy" for Tilia (which apparently only applies to US citizens), I am more concerned than ever.  I will ignore the fact that this seems to be a hastily constructed document at best ( I quote " The types of personal information we collect and share depend on the product or service you utilize from us. This information may can include: "   "may can"? Or is that "may/can"?), and get right to the heart of the matter.  While this policy states that certain information sharing may not be limited by the account holder, it gives as a reason only that federal law does not provide that as an enforced option.  It says nothing about federal law requiring it to be shared... only that essentially, "you can't stop us from sharing this". ( I am sorry to say that this feels like a cash grab, achieved via the sale of information. )

Seriously...  I have payment information on file so that I can pay my premium, and upload content of my own design, rather than being limited to what someone else is selling me.  I have never taken a single dollar OUT of SL, nor do I foresee ever doing so.  (Still, at one point I had a mysterious $2 in USD in my balance somehow.  I have no idea how, but was certainly not going to argue with the notion.  I assumed it had a legitimate reason to exist, and finally just used it in a random Marketplace purchase.)

The point of course, is that my only reasons to have any information on file are for the payment of my yearly premium, to purchase L$ (because apparently a pre-paid card isn't good enough), and because Linden Lab for whatever concocted reason requires it for me to upload mesh.

I just paid for an extra year of premium in advance, and for the first time ever, I am considering leaving SL forever.  This is the biggest and most confusing mess I've ever seen, and all announced a mere month in advance, and a conspicuously short time after putting all of us premium account holders in the position of investing early in another year of payment.

(I'm sure this post will ruffle feathers.  So be it.  For me; Second Life has never been about anything but having a bit of fun.  If it becomes a concern of financial ruin instead, I fail to see why I would continue my interest in it.)

Thanks for your attention.

• Like 8

Hi... could you change the notice period for inactivity to one month rather than 3 days to allow for users travelling or away from their systems for typical vacations, etc.

Could you also address the issue for those of us with a US $ balance set up to fund annual premium payments. So payments are only taken from that balance once a year and the exact date can vary a little depending on when @Linden Lab do the billing. Hence it can go over the 12 months of inactivity period. Can you adjust the inactivity period a bit to allow for such a variance, or only record inactivity after, say, a one month notice of such inactivity has been sent?

• Like 2

okay as soon as i got shown this about this tilia...i had a good read of there TOS and i showed this to my group in wolrd and not only me but the whole group said it sounds dodgy as...with what they are asking and what they will do..why try and fix somthing that aint broken is the 1st place

many who and dont have paypal or dont use or dont want it due to the fee's they charge,in ineuro where its a big pain to use paypal ? how do the poeple who make lindens in world cash out ?

when will they send the funds right into bank accounts ? they should really sort that out before the roll out of this tilia.in my honest opinon your going to make many long term residents not happy is what im hearing and seeing so far with this new change.

if tilia is up and running properly then no probs but the fact cant cash out yet sounds so fishy to me and many others.

and all the info they need im a non USA resident i live in australia so how does this all effect us that are from down under ? like really explianed and not copied and pasted from what has been already said ?

thats my two cents ty :D

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

So, basically, the vast majority of people (either cashing in L$ or not) have to perform these steps and only these steps, due to the transition to Tilia?

Step 1. Actually read the terms of service. (LOL!)

Step 2. Click the 'I agree' check box.

Am I correct in this assumption?

no, you can skip step 1, because there is no other option if you want to keep playing.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

after reading what we have to agree to in order to keep playing SL,,,, after Aug 1, I will not give out my SS#,,,,,,,  so does that mean I have to stop playing and loose all I have

put in , am also a premium member till Nov.  Have been in SL over 6 years, what a huge waste of money and my time if this new requirement makes me loose out. Not just the 

money but friends. Sad 😞

2 minutes ago, Beth5 said:

after reading what we have to agree to in order to keep playing SL,,,, after Aug 1, I will not give out my SS#,,,,,,,  so does that mean I have to stop playing and loose all I have

put in , am also a premium member till Nov.  Have been in SL over 6 years, what a huge waste of money and my time if this new requirement makes me loose out. Not just the 

money but friends. Sad 😞

Beth, are you cashing out L$ to USD, in order to deposit them in Paypal or some other external institution?

If you are not, then you do not need to give them your Social Security number. This is ONLY necessary if you are transferring money OUT of SL.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lilith Sablatnig said:

Confused by this.
If I need to transfer linden into dollars then move to my paypal will I now need an ID to do this? I am a UK citizen with no government ID as I can't drive nor afford holidays. Is this going to affect me?

Yes. There's bound to be some form of official UK Govt ID you can use, but perhaps someone from the UK could best advise what that might be.

• Like 1

i have some sims for rent. i collect L$ of rent fee from my customers who rent parcels on my sims. And i change the collected L$ to US$ in the Linden exchange process of my account. By doing it i get some USD. i pay a part of monthly tier for my private sims to Linden Labo with this USD. My USD ballance goes to zero, when my monthly tier payment was done. i repeat this routine every month.

This is my using style of USD ballance on my account. No processing to move USD on my ballance to another money dealing organs such as paypal or bank except Linden Labo or Tilia.

So i need not to present to Tilia my social ID or another proof of identity ? 

I have several years ago had to give LL a scan of my UK driving license, as I withdraw over a certain amount at times, my question is will I have to do anything else now?: edit to add I have also had to do this for Paypal a couple of times now, Paypal have my uk id as well.

Edited by Phoebe Avro

24 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Since the changing L$ to USD is specifically for paying that monthly tier, the tier payment itself will constitute "activity", thus there will not be any danger of 'inactivity' as long as that flow continues.

I'm not sure why the FAQ explictly mention payments for Premium, but not for tier. The process is essentially the same, is it not? So this should apply to both. But it's an odd omission.

ETA: To clarify, it does talk about paying tier with L$. But not using your USD balance.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra

2 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

You're right, it definitely says it:

But -- huh? -- we can't actually use L$ to pay tier without converting to USD, at least not the "tier" I know: payment to the Lab for peak Mainland ownership in the past 30 days. 

Do you suppose this is using "Land Tier" to refer to Estate rent, which indeed can usually be paid in L$s? (Has that usage become common?)

(Or could they possibly be suggesting that we'll be able to pay plain ol' Mainland tier directly in L$s now? That news, if true, would be vastly bigger than this Tilia thing.)

Yes, I don't really get this. Why not mention paying tier alongside payment for Premium?

And paying for estate rent is surely no different, really, than paying for anything in-world using L$? (Or, at least, that was the case when I was a renter years ago.)

A clarification (or correction?) would seem to be in order.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KisamiAmaya said:

Is payment info a requirement?  I have friends who don’t like having any sort of financial info online at all.  Please clarify.  They don’t buy lindens they earn all their money in world.

The only change Tilia requires is if you are converting L$ into USD, and transferring it to an external institution such as PayPal.

If they are keeping all of their L$ within LL and SL, regardless of whether or not they are buying it or earning it in-world, there is no new requirement, beyond agreeing to the Tilia TOS.

I hope that explains it? They shouldn't need to submit any new information to Tilia.

16 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The only change Tilia requires is if you are converting L$ into USD, and transferring it to an external institution such as PayPal.

If they are keeping all of their L$ within LL and SL, regardless of whether or not they are buying it or earning it in-world, there is no new requirement, beyond agreeing to the Tilia TOS.

I hope that explains it? They shouldn't need to submit any new information to Tilia.

Thank you so much for clarifying!  Had someone close to me freaking out!

• Like 2

I've hosted a charity fundraiser in SL since 2015 and "cashed out" after each event to make the actual donation to the RL Charity.

In 2017 & 2018 - the cash out was delayed whilst my account was "verified" - to be honest I don't remember supplying documentation to prove that the PayPal account was mine but then I've slept since. Does this mean that I will have to provide proof of my identity again? I live in the UK - don't have a current passport nor a photo driving licence and the "Citizen Card" is a commercial thing - it's not government issue, we scrapped ID cards back in 2011, I don't have paper utility bills nor paper bank statements - am I going to spend weeks proving I'm me (again)?

Regarding "alt" accounts; will each and every alt be required to verify through Tilia when logging in during August or later, even if they have no history nor any intention of ever cashing out in US Dollars?

OR, will payment information on file be adequate to associate them with my "main account" info?

Thanks for any clarity on this, and sorry if the question has already been addressed.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1740 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.