Tilia takes over

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1224 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

16 minutes ago, Allure Cristole said:

In America anyway, the only people you should give out your SSN to is the IRS and your job. No one else needs it. However is is not against the law to ask for it. 

Try getting any sort of credit without providing it because your credit info at the credit bureaus is keyed on your SSN.

16 minutes ago, Allure Cristole said:

so why should LL even want it? what are they doing with it?

LL needs it if you are taking money out of SL because, depending on the amount, it is reported to the IRS (for US folks) and that needs the SSN.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Danball Tureaud said:

I just hope we don't start getting a 1099 or something where we have to pay taxes on our in world activity.  I wouldn't put it past the IRS to do this.

It used to be (before the new rules and Tilia's new TOS and privacy policy) that folks making 20,000 or more in SL got 1099s --- at least that has been reported here in the past;  I never made that much and never got a 1099. Then the Federal government made changes.  This year (for 2019 tax year) folks making less than that received 1099s --- again reported here at the beginning of the year.    

Of course everyone was SUPPOSED to be claiming that money anyway -- even if they did not get a 1099.    So really nothing has changed for the folks that were keeping within the law. Well the TOS and privacy policy changed -- but the need to report is not new and is not SL's doing. 

Luckily, I have never actually made a cumulative profit renting out a single sim since 2008, and mainland in 2007 (Its gotten easier to make a profit now that sim fees are down to $229 a month from $295 a month)

Since Nov 2007, my estimated cumulative net loss has been -$2973.  Since July 2018, when tier fees were reduced to $249/mo, then $229 in June 2019 , my estimated net profit has been $493

Edited by Danball Tureaud

I'll never understand why people ask about 1099s on the forum rather than going to the IRS website and finding the information. It's all there. If you have questions, call the IRS. 

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/when-should-i-call-the-toll-free-number

You should call the toll-free number if you:

• Have questions regarding a refund
  • Want the balance due amount on your tax account
  • Have questions on an existing installment agreement
  • Want to confirm your payment on an individual tax return was received by IRS
  • Want the location of an IRS office
  • Want the location of free tax preparation services to qualified individuals
  • Did not receive, received an incorrect, or lost your Form W-2 and 1099-R
  • Have federal tax questions
  • Have questions pertaining to tax returns or tax related issues

IRS Hours of Telephone Service:

Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).  The best times to call during April are before 10:00 a.m., and Monday is the heaviest traffic day. (800) 829-1040

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Danball Tureaud said:

Since July 2018, when tier fees were reduced to $249/mo, then $229 in June 2019 , my estimated net profit has been $493

depends where you are, but in the Netherlands all above 449 € has to be put on the TAX form. as side income, no matter business or hobby.

• 1 month later...

I previously supplied personal ID and was approved by SL/Tilia. Now, over a year later, they've LOST my info and are demanding I supply it all again in order to cash out a few Lindens. They've basically stolen my Lindens again, holding them behind a wall of their own making. Patriot Act or not, SL caused this problem for me when they lost the info I already sent (and I've successfully converted Lindens to dollars since that time, so how did they manage to lose my info months later?)

How can I trust a company that so carelessly loses my important personal information?

How can I trust a company that has the audacity to mark my valid support request as "closed", when they have not solved the problem, not even attempted to solve it, and closed the ticket with my knowledge or permissions?

How can I trust them to protect me from identity theft, or from their own apparent incompetence? 

I now have a second support ticket open, but so far it has only received a very general response asking me to be patient. I am not hopeful that a human being with a brain will even attempt to resolve the theft of my Lindens.

I am NOT happy that SL/Tilia has put MY money behind fences they seem incompetent to handle. I hope they fix MY issue, but I can not recommend SL to anyone any longer. Customer Service, common sense, honesty, and basic decency no longer seem to exist at LL. 

Good luck to us all.

• Haha 1

There are a number of reasons why loss of information happens and each one of them is beyond LL's control. Software glitches, hardware crashes and dies, just to name a couple of the most common reasons. 

You makes your choice and you pays your price.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DreamWalker McCallister said:

I previously supplied personal ID and was approved by SL/Tilia. Now, over a year later, they've LOST my info and are demanding I supply it all again in order to cash out a few Lindens. They've basically stolen my Lindens again, holding them behind a wall of their own making. Patriot Act or not, SL caused this problem for me when they lost the info I already sent (and I've successfully converted Lindens to dollars since that time, so how did they manage to lose my info months later?)

How can I trust a company that so carelessly loses my important personal information?

How can I trust a company that has the audacity to mark my valid support request as "closed", when they have not solved the problem, not even attempted to solve it, and closed the ticket with my knowledge or permissions?

How can I trust them to protect me from identity theft, or from their own apparent incompetence? 

I now have a second support ticket open, but so far it has only received a very general response asking me to be patient. I am not hopeful that a human being with a brain will even attempt to resolve the theft of my Lindens.

I am NOT happy that SL/Tilia has put MY money behind fences they seem incompetent to handle. I hope they fix MY issue, but I can not recommend SL to anyone any longer. Customer Service, common sense, honesty, and basic decency no longer seem to exist at LL. 

Good luck to us all.

It's more likely that they still have your information - they're just trying to make sure whoever is trying to cash it out does too.

Edited by Theresa Tennyson
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DreamWalker McCallister said:

Good luck to us all.

Quite a few people had this happen to them at the beginning of the year (the first time they tried to cash out for 2020). So if this is YOUR first time in 2020  you are not alone there. Oddly when this came up here in January - February a bunch of folks didn't have to redo their info and cashed out as usual. There didn't seem to be any pattern to the differences. Some of those that had been cashing out big sums for years had to redo their info. 

It is very true that we didn't have to do all this before last August. At the same time some US laws changed. Still, it does seem odd that only SOME folks need to redo their info.  I did not have to redo in Sansar (also using Tilia) but I quit exchanging  Lindens  to dollars (on principle) in August.  I am sure that if I wanted to cash out now I would have to go through the whole process again. As it is I am just spending my lindens when I find something to buy and starting my own Fort Knox of linden dollars LOL. We all make choices. Sounds like you have some to make also.

Good luck. 

PS. Someone wrote here last night that they are now locked out of their account until the accept the Tilia TOS (and privacy I assume).  It is a little unclear what is going on there. I poked Grumity but its the weekend and no response there yet. So at least you have your account open to you. A plus for sure. 

• 2 months later...
Just now, Rickeh Tepper said:

I was just looking at coming back. This change is an abomination.

Inactivity fees... for what? You didn't DO anything!

Social Security Number? Never.

I took my listings down. I guess you'll just keep my $400.

They are doing this for tax reasons. So that A you can file taxes and in accordance with new US tax laws.

And yes, it's practically the bank of LL. So yes they will have inactivity fees. That is part of life.

If you don't like it, as you said take your listings down. It is not abomination, it's just that if people want to keep making money. LL has to follow laws. End of story.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Rickeh Tepper said:

Inactivity fees... for what? You didn't DO anything!

The inactivity fee is only if you have a US $ balance and do not even log in for more than a year.  If you leave the cash sitting in your account. Tillia has to manage the accounting for it, so if you choose to just let it sit on their books, without even bothering to log in, you get to pay them.  From a RL money management standpoint, it isn't really that ridiculous. All you have to do is log in to your Dashboard at least once a year to avoid the fee.

You only have to give them your SSN if you want to take your money out of SL -- because of US tax reasons.  Rather than cashing it out, you can also use the US $ balance to pay for Premium membership, monthly tier or region costs, and/or to buy L$.  

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
On 7/2/2019 at 6:07 AM, Garnet Psaltery said:

How will it affect you?

Greatly apparently. I don't have any of the ID's accepted to verify my account. Under advise from a SL group I contacted support to ask them what I can do as I don't have the ID they require. They have now asked me to provide some other documents along with an expired drivers license. I don't have an expired drivers license because I've never had a drivers license in the first place! So now I can't submit a process credit request at all, and to make matters worse they are now stopping me from selling L$ which means I can no longer pay for my tier by selling L$ on Lindex.

10 minutes ago, Hintswen Guardian said:

Greatly apparently. I don't have any of the ID's accepted to verify my account. Under advise from a SL group I contacted support to ask them what I can do as I don't have the ID they require. They have now asked me to provide some other documents along with an expired drivers license. I don't have an expired drivers license because I've never had a drivers license in the first place! So now I can't submit a process credit request at all, and to make matters worse they are now stopping me from selling L$ which means I can no longer pay for my tier by selling L$ on Lindex.

You don't have any kind of picture ID you can get from your government?

In the U.S. we have state ID's that people can get and use  if they can't get a drivers license.. Can you get something similar to that?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hintswen Guardian said:

You aren't the first one this has happened to but of course that doesn't help. That is really why people have always needed to understand the process before  trying to process credit.  There were some folks in Sansar that had been trying to  process credit for over a year. Not sure if they ever got things worked out. Last I heard they were getting a certified letter from their bank saying that yes they really did have an account etc.   They lived in a country where (amazingly and inserting a smile here) the government didn't track every aspect of their lives. 

At one point even before "Tilia Took Over" :D but of course it was there in the background, we just didn't know it -- accounts were frozen completely. I had a hassle back then as my town doesn't deliver mail to the houses - everyone has mail boxes instead of house addresses and LL wouldn't accept that as a legitimate address. I finally convinced them by pointing out that my driver's license had BOTH PO box and house address on it.  But that took a few weeks and I was coming down to the time when I would in theory lose my account altogether. So it could be worse.  

Some people really were hurt by the changes. Not completely LL's fault, partly the US government. But again that doesn't help.  Keep asking what Tilia might accept. In the end you may need to rethink and change how you spend your time in SL.   You won't be the first there either.   

Good luck.   

18 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

You don't have any kind of picture ID you can get from your government?

In the U.S. we have state ID's that people can get and use  if they can't get a drivers license.. Can you get something similar to that?

agree

am pretty sure that in the USA people can get a official government ID from their state DMV (Dept of Motor Vehicles)

1 hour ago, Mollymews said:

agree

am pretty sure that in the USA people can get a official government ID from their state DMV (Dept of Motor Vehicles)

Yes, but it is fairly expensive, the same as a driver's license. Google tells me 39.50 in my state. Not sure if all states are the same.  

EDIT: AND you need to take in a bunch of ID things like a utility bill, passport, birth certificate etc in order to GET the ID card -- so a bit of a catch 22 thing.  

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info

2 hours ago, Hintswen Guardian said:

I'm in the UK without a passport or driver's licence.  I was verified, if I remember correctly, using a bus pass (with integral photo), birth certificate, and a utility bill.  There was a further step involving a photo.

It's not a process I'd wish to repeat but persistence won the day.  It's always worth negotiating with alternatives you might have or can get.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1224 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.