Fire!!!!!! (And a suggestion for Lindens/Moles)

Female Fraina

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1709 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So today a house in Bellisseria in the Venber sim caught fire!

ee8509156d5b45de7eb7395061c29754.jpg

As you can see, this was quite a big fire. I was around so I tried to respond as well as possible. I went to Dog Bone Airstrip in Coral Waters region. I rezzed my CH-47 helicopter. Dropped the bucket into the sea. Filled up with water and headed off! I managed to dump water on the house. Fortunately the airdrop did not collapse the entire house. But it did put out the fire. And it also refilled the swimming pool. 

ce0a81ae590ec66a4638242a27dc7498.thumb.jpg.f3094af7f395295617546b7890cf89da.jpg

Unfortunately I couldn't take off, fill up with water, locate the inferno, and get there before serious damage occurred. You can see some of the debris and blackened areas in this photo of our survey of the home afterword.

6acd3db02fac6d1f1da4ea7314052f9f.thumb.jpg.ff14246729d0078206c7339291e231b7.jpg

Plainly Bellisseria has a serious need here for a proper fire department that could respond more quickly, provide a response that is less likely to knock down buildings, and both call in and direct the heavy duty aerial response when needed.

And this brings me to a serious suggestion for the Lindens and Moles. Any real world community needs institutions like fire stations, police stations, and hospitals. Bellisseria, for its part, needs inland rez zones, as has been discussed before. Places to rez a car that gets lost in a sim crossing Adding fire stations, police stations, and hospitals would add to the imersiveness of the community. And they would need to be rez zones for residents to be able to rez vehicles to go fight a fire, so they would also meet that need for inland rez zones. 

It wouldn't take many, but could some fire stations/police stations/hospitals be scattered around here and there? Perhaps as part of the effort to build community destination spots like parks, squishy pickle stands, and others?

Thank you to Snowlord and Bebe Crannock for the photos they took, which I use in this post with their permission.

Edited by Female Fraina
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

38 minutes ago, Female Fraina said:

It wouldn't take many, but could some fire stations/police stations/hospitals be scattered around here and there? Perhaps as part of the effort to build community destination spots like parks, squishy pickle stands, and others?

Perhaps some kind soul (who has multiple homes etc.) will decorate their home as a fire station/ doctor's surgery or the like (in the same way some have made cafe's).

• Like 3

That is a lovely home, I'm glad you were able to save it :)  A fire department would be a fine addition to our amazing continent,  I also like the train station idea,  plus a few stores scattered here and there, an animal rescue, oh I could go on and on 😍  

• Like 2

Well, I’m trying to be mindful that this is meant to be a Linden homes continent. LL is trying hard to make it look like a community. And they have responded to the need for rez zones by making best efforts to add some. Basically all I’m proposing is making those rez zones look like a fire station/police station/hospital/whatever else. That’s not very major, it’s  not a change to what LL is trying to do. It’s nothing more than a facelift for what they are already doing.

I’m not quite sure how a Chunnel would fit in. It’s a big addition that would certainly be fun. But it seems like it kinda side tracks from what they are trying to accomplish here. Shops are kinda the same, especially since this is supposed to be a non commercial area. Maybe some small kiosks like already exist? The Squishy Pickle, for example?

While we could all list lots of fun things to add, these seem very different from my suggestion to take what’s already done and just make it look a certain way. Please feel free to pounce and correct me if I am wrong. 

39 minutes ago, WillowTenage said:

That is a lovely home, I'm glad you were able to save it :)  

Afterward, I did the math on how much water I dropped. This was a Shergood CH-47 helicopter with the Kimbi bucket. The Kimbi bucket holds 2600 gallons of water and I filled it to capacity. A gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds (with slight variation depending on temperature). So that means I dropped 21,684 pounds of water, or just shy of 11 tons on that poor house fire. So I put out the fire. Refilled the swimming pool. Probably flooded the whole region. And if any neighbors are wondering where their yards or gardens went . . . I have no idea where they ended up. The fact that the house survive having a nearly 11 ton weight of water dropped on it is a miracle of second life engineering. 

P.S. For those wondering, I am the OP. Just forgot which account I was logged in with when I wrote the original posting. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Female Winslet said:

Afterward, I did the math on how much water I dropped. This was a Shergood CH-47 helicopter with the Kimbi bucket. The Kimbi bucket holds 2600 gallons of water and I filled it to capacity. A gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds (with slight variation depending on temperature). So that means I dropped 21,684 pounds of water, or just shy of 11 tons on that poor house fire. So I put out the fire. Refilled the swimming pool. Probably flooded the whole region. And if any neighbors are wondering where their yards or gardens went . . . I have no idea where they ended up. The fact that the house survive having a nearly 11 ton weight of water dropped on it is a miracle of second life engineering.

a Court house and a Municipal building is necessary also.  Taking buckets of water out of the ocean without a permit is f.o.r.b.i.d.d.e.n. under Bellisseria Municipal Criminal Code 378. Section 2. Clause 3. Para. 2.  "Taking water out of the ocean without a municipal permit is f.o.r.b.i.d.d.e.n."  (which I wrote just now as the Municipal Town Clerk, a position to which I was elected at the Municipal Council meeting (see below)

so you will have to be summonsed to the Court house (coming soon maybe one day) and arraigned before a Magistrate and a jury of your peers. At which time you can throw yourself on the mercy of the Court. Not that it will do you any good to plead Not Guilty. As there is a witness that will attest that you were seen starting the fire.  So you in so deep that even if you do subvert the jury (like stack it with your friends) then the Magistrate will have to set aside anything the jury  might say, and chuck you in jail.  Which hasn't been built yet either but is coming 'soon' maybe somehow

p.s, at the Municipal Council meeting where I was elected Town Clerk (a meeting which I chaired and had a quorum of one to make it all legal like) I was also honored to be elected by acclamation as the Magistrate

p.p.s.  I am partial to cookies and milk ok, and totally in to gifts mercy and forgiveness :D

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

5 minutes ago, fairlyprincess said:

Bellisseria Regulatory Commission was on site issuing permits, condemnations, and permits of rehabitation..    🤠

then we defo need a Court house for sure. Somebody is gunna get prosecuted for impersonation of a duly-elected Municipal Officer. Them Regulatory Commission people  o.b.v.i.o.u.s.l.y never held any elections and just appointed themselves 😽

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

People have been converting their homes to little roleplay buildings(I did see somebody made their home a firestation once, but the person has now changed to a normal dwelling), which still leaves the moles their room to put in more houses as they need to. They still have thousands of people to eventually have houses for. I don't mind people roleplaying(so long as they leave those who don't want to participate out of it), but as many have stated before the focus of this place is not a roleplay community.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@Marianne Little although that build you linked to looks fine in itself, in my opinion it doesn't really fit in (is that what you were saying?). There are others which achieve a change of purpose without being too jarring in the street scene.
I do love the temporary role play scenarios though, it adds to the fun.

Edited by Raspberry Crystal
  • Like 2

Just now, Raspberry Crystal said:

@Marianne Little although that build you linked to looks fine in itself, in my opinion it doesn't really fit in (is that what you were saying?). There are others which achieve a change of purpose without being too jarring in the street scene.
I do love the temporary role play scenarios though, it adds to the fun.

I am not sure what I think about it, to be honest. I like that they did it like that, but think it's a bit out of the theme. But it's not a problem for me. It is a location where it's not so noticeable.

Maybe the moles will make a town center. But now they all work on resident homes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

Maybe the moles will make a town center. But now they all work on resident homes.

A town center is a very good idea. With shops, coffeehouse, bakery, police and fire station even to a fitness center. The possibilities are unlimited. A place where something is always going on.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I am not sure what I think about it, to be honest. I like that they did it like that, but think it's a bit out of the theme. But it's not a problem for me. It is a location where it's not so noticeable.

I rather agree with this.  I really don't mind others role-playing fires and whatnot but I really don't want to live next to a fire department or police department etc.  There are other communities that do that regularly.  I love the peaceful look of Bellisseria today and appreciate all the little spots people have created within the current theme.   It would be nice for a little town center area that includes areas for community gatherings and maybe you can claim one of the buildings under the a super premium membership or something for commercial activities.  A hospital equipped for roleplay might be nice in this area but often times even in roleplay communities most of these municipal buildings end up empty as the new wears off and you are left with wasted prims being used up for no reason.  This would kind of prevent a ghost town...where as if one has to pay and chooses the building type...from a mailbox per say then it might actually get used.  

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Ziggy Starsmith said:

I was also hoping a Brothel could maybe be slipped in somewhere. 🙂

Points up to sky... ... ... (ok they are not brothels up there- this is the suburbs after all, so key parties instead, I guess?)

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Kitten Kaos said:

Points up to sky... ... ... (ok they are not brothels up there- this is the suburbs after all, so key parties instead, I guess?)

I've flown around up there... Y'all think I'm perverted? Oh my heavens! There are some naughty, naughty people on Bellisseria! 

I don't like skyboxes, though, so all my adult things are right on my boat. I use my privacy settings judiciously when, er, activities may be occurring that others may take offense to, but I won't hide it away up in the sky like it's something I should be ashamed of.

Once the land rush dies down, though, I'm planning on making an alt premium to get one of the houses and going full-on bordello with it! It should fit in nicely with the immersion feel we seem to be going for with cafes, gyms, libraries, etc. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

51 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

I've flown around up there... Y'all think I'm perverted? Oh my heavens! There are some naughty, naughty people on Bellisseria! 

I don't like skyboxes, though, so all my adult things are right on my boat. I use my privacy settings judiciously when, er, activities may be occurring that others may take offense to, but I won't hide it away up in the sky like it's something I should be ashamed of.

Once the land rush dies down, though, I'm planning on making an alt premium to get one of the houses and going full-on bordello with it! It should fit in nicely with the immersion feel we seem to be going for with cafes, gyms, libraries, etc. 

Don't think of it as hiding. Besides less lag, think of it like The Mile High Club! :)

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Mollymews said:

a Court house and a Municipal building is necessary also.  Taking buckets of water out of the ocean without a permit is f.o.r.b.i.d.d.e.n. under Bellisseria Municipal Criminal Code 378. Section 2. Clause 3. Para. 2.  "Taking water out of the ocean without a municipal permit is f.o.r.b.i.d.d.e.n."  (which I wrote just now as the Municipal Town Clerk, a position to which I was elected at the Municipal Council meeting (see below)

Hmmmm. Well, surely it must have a temporary location, right? Can you send me an SLUrl for it? Sounds like it needs 11 tons of water dumps on it. 🙂

5 hours ago, Gingir Ghoststar said:

I love it! I'm so sad I missed it. That looks like so much fun. Very glad you were able to put out the fire. I know this isn't an RP community but all these little things, silly things, the parties, the pubs, the hangouts, they make Bellisseria so very interesting. 

Dare I say they also contribute to that feeling of community and friendship that comes from when people get together and have fun together? 🙂

It’s things like this that make me happy/sad. Happy because people are getting together, having fun together, making friends, and building community. Sad because it seems like this is what the mainland was supposed to be except mainland could be even more so because you’re not limited there to building and working with only what the Lindens can build. But instead it became this walled off area full of bunkers where people are taking the most connected areas of the grid that are setup for travel and mixing and meeting and trying to turn them into walled off camps. 😞

5 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Plus we’re not supposed to be making things that look commercial, right? That looks clearly commercial to me. 

4 hours ago, Butterfli Summers said:

I rather agree with this.  I really don't mind others role-playing fires and whatnot but I really don't want to live next to a fire department or police department etc.  There are other communities that do that regularly.  I love the peaceful look of Bellisseria today and appreciate all the little spots people have created within the current theme.   It would be nice for a little town center area that includes areas for community gatherings and maybe you can claim one of the buildings under the a super premium membership or something for commercial activities.  A hospital equipped for roleplay might be nice in this area but often times even in roleplay communities most of these municipal buildings end up empty as the new wears off and you are left with wasted prims being used up for no reason.  This would kind of prevent a ghost town...where as if one has to pay and chooses the building type...from a mailbox per say then it might actually get used.  

A town center like this could be pretty cool! Plus I don’t know many people who would want to live near a fire station in rl. Too much annoyance from all the fires they have to go to. 

But please bear in mind that the idea here is simply to take the Rez zones that are being created anyway and make them look like that. I can understand that it may not be exactly what some people want next door. I can also understand others might not care or would even love it. But the idea, at root, is simply that make rez zones that fit in better. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Female Winslet said:

Well, I’m trying to be mindful that this is meant to be a Linden homes continent. LL is trying hard to make it look like a community. And they have responded to the need for rez zones by making best efforts to add some. Basically all I’m proposing is making those rez zones look like a fire station/police station/hospital/whatever else. That’s not very major, it’s  not a change to what LL is trying to do. It’s nothing more than a facelift for what they are already doing.

I’m not quite sure how a Chunnel would fit in. It’s a big addition that would certainly be fun. But it seems like it kinda side tracks from what they are trying to accomplish here. Shops are kinda the same, especially since this is supposed to be a non commercial area. Maybe some small kiosks like already exist? The Squishy Pickle, for example?

While we could all list lots of fun things to add, these seem very different from my suggestion to take what’s already done and just make it look a certain way. Please feel free to pounce and correct me if I am wrong. 

I would never pounce you or anyone :) I'm more so the type that goes into hiding 🤣

I believe stores would look nice, if done properly.  They wouldn't have to sell anything, just little shops scattered here and there, book stores, little convenience stores, an antique store just places for people to stop by and visit.  Perhaps they could give free items, created by the residents and moles alike.  I think it would be amazing to have stories written by the residents at a local book store, along with newsletters.  I do realize the constraints for the regions would make it incredibly difficult, I was just letting my imagination get the best of me 

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1709 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.