Old housing community vs New one

ClariceRose

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1808 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

18 minutes ago, Shyla Starflare said:

Main issue I am seeing with NEW Linden homes, both boats and traditionals is that your floor-space is tiny and cramped?
Is one allowed to make skybox above these New Homes?

Yes, the new homes are allowed to have a skybox above 2000m, no lower.

Edited by s2Pandora
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Shyla Starflare said:

Must I abandon my old Linden home in order to get on a waiting list or something?

You will need to abandon your old Linden Home to get a new one and the Refresh is done on the Choose your Home page in the Get your Free Linden Home section of your Dashboard when you log in to SL account website which can only be seen if you don't already have one.  If you're not attached to the location of your current older style one, you can just abandon it and get to the Choose your home page and refresh in hopes that someone may have abandoned a new style one.  If there is a new style available, be fast as you can to accept the Terms and Conditions, name it anything fast!  at least 5 letters long (you can change it later) and get the LM!  If that one has already gone you get a Sorry! message and you need to refresh again, and again, and again... until you get it.  There's no waiting list but Follow this Thread for news about when the next batch is released: 

There is also the Blog Feeds area on your Dashboard Homepage https://secondlife.com/my  which gives all sorts of great info about SL.  Good luck and come and visit Bellissaria in the meantime and enjoy the beautiful continent and explore as much and as often as you wish!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shyla Starflare said:

Main issue I am seeing with NEW Linden homes, both boats and traditionals is that your floor-space is tiny and cramped?
Is one allowed to make skybox above these New Homes?

The houses are actually less cramped than they look, because the ceilings are so high, it gives the impression that the floor is smaller. But you can get a surprisingly large amount in them.  And the houseboats are even bigger.

But yes, skyboxes are allowed, at 2,000m or higher.

• Like 2

I really don't get this cramped people talk about? They come from those prefab houses with the piano's as big as a normal house? Or their avies 3 meter high? I serious suck at zooming, but I have no issues in my little alderley? Also all the furni I buy or own seems to fit and is in scale with the house too.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Matty Luminos said:

The houses are actually less cramped than they look, because the ceilings are so high, it gives the impression that the floor is smaller. But you can get a surprisingly large amount in them.  And the houseboats are even bigger.

But yes, skyboxes are allowed, at 2,000m or higher.

I just measured them, my 512 house the ceilings are 5m, my house in Bellisseria is much less than that, they are lower than a lot of builds in SL.  The Bellisseria houses are just tiny, lower ceilings and smaller foot print, and there is no way around that, they are just small.

6 minutes ago, iBrat said:

I really don't get this cramped people talk about? They come from those prefab houses with the piano's as big as a normal house? Or their avies 3 meter high? I serious suck at zooming, but I have no issues in my little alderley? Also all the furni I buy or own seems to fit and is in scale with the house too.

I actually have no issues with the sizes of the houses either, and I come from using a Maven Homes house. They are appropriate for the amount of LI you get, much moreso than the old Linden Homes(which were too big). Many people on SL are use to things being huge, and I can't blame them, but once they start experiencing a normal height on an avatar, they may realize just how big everything else is..

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Teagan Tobias said:

What would you call a normal height of an avatar, my avi is 5’ 1” and I am smaller than most almost every place I go.  LOL, I see a lot of bellybuttons.

Not just normal height but also how you hold your camera, at least for me. When building and then switching to the houseboat, my camera is bouncing off of everything. After I adjust it, I am fine.

• Like 2

On 5/17/2019 at 1:49 AM, Teagan Tobias said:

I just measured them, my 512 house the ceilings are 5m, my house in Bellisseria is much less than that, they are lower than a lot of builds in SL.  The Bellisseria houses are just tiny, lower ceilings and smaller foot print, and there is no way around that, they are just small.

That's because the 512 homes are disproportionately enormous.

Try comparing them to a RL house. Or even a RL house that's been scaled up by 20% (to account for avatars being about 20% taller on average). My avatar is a little over 7' tall and the Bellisseria houses, even the little bungalows, are appropriately-sized for me.

Here's the downstairs of my Continental, seen from both directions. With me, at exactly 2.2m tall, for scale.

redlionpub_005.png.717dcf9420f0227d44268aec2f20b91a.pngredlionpub_006.png.c481ead4159e2e88abfdcadf74e38a19.png

As well as the bar, there are five stools and five sets of tables with 2 armchairs each, and there's still plenty of room to walk through (please don't trip over the cat). 

Upstairs I've divided the bedroom to make a bathroom as well. Still not cramped.

redlionpub_007.png.adf4ee1f34a5bd41ffcfa3854db7b892.pngredlionpub_008.png.8cf2958bb6fcb694747532e15740bcc2.png

If you are experiencing otherwise, your camera settings probably need adjusting to fit the house.

• Like 5

I do not feel the new homes are small at all.  I am a relatively tall avatar, 6.77 feet tall barefoot, which translates to 2.06 meters.  Now put me in stilettos I am much taller.  I don't feel cramped in the homes.  The Linden Labs default camera position is not the best for viewing inside buildings, which is why I researched and learned how to adjust my camera view that is a more natural position.  It didn't take me very long to get used to it either.  No more bouncing off walls and such. I would be happy to share my camera settings with anyone that is interested.  Just give me a shout in world.

• Like 4

On 5/15/2019 at 11:13 PM, ClariceRose said:

I'm wondering if the old houses had a sense of community or did people keep to themselves? What makes the new continent better? Just wondering how the "olden days were" and why we are so excited for this continent. I hope not just because of new and shiny... really hope this attitude of bonding, friendliness and community lasts.

There's no sense of community where I live (Meadowbrook themed house region). Whenever I've been at 'home' there's never been anyone around. I think it's partly due to time zones, but also maybe home owners just don't visit their homes much. I often walk around the area for the fun of it and explore the little hang out places. But I never see anyone else about. 

From what I've read on the forums so far the new themed dwellings and environments are seeming to generate a great sense of community. I think the landscaping around the houses is a big improvement, so many cute little spots too, and seems more conducive to encourage people to get together. However, I'm skeptical it will last. At the moment yes it's all new and shiny, so people are naturally taking time to enjoy it, look around, meet others etc. But will it last? I think after a while the novelty will wear off and they'll be about as social as the old generation themed areas currently are.  I really hope I'm wrong. I  hope the community spirit will last and be the case for the other themes to come.

At the end of the day it's up to the residents to keep the spirit going.

• Like 4

I think nature brings people together, especially when there's something to do within the beautiful scenery.
Studies have shown that people actually feel more alienated when living too closely to each other, and my honest feeling when I arrived at the old Linden home area was that I had been deposited in hell..lol...I never teleported out of someplace so fast...it was like some sort of housing project or sales lot for used homes...everything crammed together. No beauty.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

I think nature brings people together, especially when there's something to do within the beautiful scenery.

Totally agree, I spend more time gardening or boating & cycling while meeting others in the neighborhood than I do inside my own home. I hope it lasts too as the newness wears off.

• Like 2

Guess I was lucky, when I lived at Meadowbrook I had neighbours that were actually neighbours a lot of the time when I was there. So I have fond memories of that, but come to think of it there were probably only 6-8 of us green dots on the map for several sims, though. Apart from 2-3 dots spread out here and there... Import/get a mesh cube on the MP along with some good textures and you'd have a nice set of walls and floors with very little LI and very little effort. So I probably never found it as horrible as some did/do.

I left for the mainland as soon as the 1024 size hit, though, and have not regretted that. However, I've been boating around this new continent. LL really are on to something here.
Even if I'm only visiting it seems to be a breath of fresh air for SL.

Boating around there, there seem to be a lot of development areas for new housing. So maybe... :)

As for cam positions, the default is not good for these homes. But you don't have to go all the way to "looking directly at your upper back". There are several middle grounds here, still experimenting myself.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HeathcliffMontague said:

Guess I was lucky, when I lived at Meadowbrook I had neighbours that were actually neighbours a lot of the time when I was there. So I have fond memories of that, but come to think of it there were probably only 6-8 of us green dots on the map for several sims, though. Apart from 2-3 dots spread out here and there... Import/get a mesh cube on the MP along with some good textures and you'd have a nice set of walls and floors with very little LI and very little effort. So I probably never found it as horrible as some did/do.

I left for the mainland as soon as the 1024 size hit, though, and have not regretted that. However, I've been boating around this new continent. LL really are on to something here.
Even if I'm only visiting it seems to be a breath of fresh air for SL.

Boating around there, there seem to be a lot of development areas for new housing. So maybe... :)

As for cam positions, the default is not good for these homes. But you don't have to go all the way to "looking directly at your upper back". There are several middle grounds here, still experimenting myself.

There is a free cam hud on the mp, that works great. It sets the position of your cam in a more realistic way. I'm on my phone so can't tell you the name of it. But I believe it's made by a woman. You can try a search with "free cam hud" or search for "cam hud NOT demo" and filter from lowest price to highest.

**Edited: I'm on a computer now, not sure if I can put the link up to the product but do a search for "camera control hud" and there is one for 0L and had a picture of a stick figure type person with a camera behind it. 

Edited by ClariceRose
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Your chairs appear to be breeding ... like 14, excluding the pot? 😨

Nope. There's 11 chairs inside, plus 4 bar-stools. 7 outside at the front (I rezzed an extra one out there the other day cos there was a group sitting together and one poor girl sat on the table).  Outside at the back there's seating for another 16. 

I think you're counting some twice, from different angles?

I had been in my "Old Linden home" almost as long as I've been on SL. There were Community Centers but they were far and few between, and it seemed to me at least all of my neighbors never wanted to be neighborly. Closed windows and doors, Ban lines and security Orbs. TOS violations all around all over the place, no path ways or roads. Any of the so called parks etc never seemed to get further developed. My Old Home was on Bowston I loved the name and the house I had modded within allowed LL limitations. It was a little bit hard to start packing up and leaving and moving to my new Linden Home, But I do love the look and feel of the new SIMs. The community atmosphere cant be beet. I hope that the Moles and LL will continue to work on Bellisseria. Personally I would love to see some kind of "Down Town" perhaps, I know I would like to see a much larger airport instead of the itty bitty air strip, I am an avid SL pilot. 

• Like 1

Got my first Linden Home in early 2010.  At that time, many of us got a TV where we could watch movies, sl channels (not youtube), etc -- all FREE.  Then QuickTime started having issues about a year later, so many of us abandoned TVs in our Linden Homes.  Anyone know if quality free TV in Linden Home will return?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1808 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.