Linden Homes Preview

Psylaine Silvershade

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1837 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I went there to have a look with the Camera Control HUD by Penny Patton on. It really makes a huge difference. Was very nice to walk around there with those cam settings. Most houses (not the smallest ones) felt pretty OK. But how many newcomers will know about camera settings? I wonder what cam settings the moles use.

I'm 249 cm (8' 2") with boots on, yet I am usually only slightly taller than most males I meet, sometimes even shorter. Sometimes I've had to resize vehicles *down* to fit me. The door handles folks talk about up-thread were from about hip height to - ahem - "gentleman's area" height for me.

So yes, size discrepancies really is an issue. Seems like LL have been trying to go for a middle ground as best one can here.

BTW, I had to TP home, put the Cam HUD on and then TP back to make it work if anyone else has issues.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

With expanded porch and pergola - 

ssp_008.thumb.png.b7719e847fce4f4431569aeb9d345944.png

That is really lovely. I can imagine prefab add-ons like this would sell. I can throw up something like that, but I doubt it will look so professional. And I will spend more time on it, that I could use for something else.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

I knew it would work!

ssp_007.thumb.png.e08100d236c53acc14eb1ca0a9a287a4.png

I have quickly rezzed prims and put in place. I cheated and matched the color of the wall. They are not actually textured, but you get the idea. 

ssp_001.thumb.png.510c6ae7ae213b8396c131f05cc28645.png

The view coming up the stairs. You can see I have a lot of furniture rezzed out in this room. I have not resized any of it. All of it is the original size as coming from the creator of each piece.

ssp_004.thumb.png.efb14e478564dc491da92182d8b4be98.png

The bathroom is much larger than I imaged in would be. It has room for two vanities, 

with a full sized tub and toilet.

I even have space for a writing desk and a closet. What more could you want in a master suite?

Release some walls for sale. 😍 Do you really have a closet behind one of the doors?

That is a nice bathroom size. I have just that mirror and sink. A lot of my furniture is in the same scale. Bazaar, Apple Fall, Aria, Mudhoney etc.

I tried to adjust my avatar so I don't have to edit every piece of furniture I buy. I took the easy option. I think we are about the same height in SL.

My large manor that I had by the L-Shaped lake.... I never had furniture in all the rooms. I didn't have time. I only had the livingroom 100% decorated, a half finished kitchen and mudroom.

Edited by Marianne Little

1 minute ago, Marianne Little said:

Release some walls for sale. 😍 Do you really have a closet behind one of the doors?

That is a nice bathroom size. I have just that mirror and sink. A lot of my furniture is in the same scale. Bazaar, Apple Fall, Aria, Mudhoney etc.

I tried to adjust my avatar so I don't have to edit every piece of furniture I buy. I took the easy option. I think we are about the same height in SL.

My large manor that I had my the L-Shaped lake.... I never had furniture in all the rooms. I didn't have time. I only had the livingroom 100% decorated, a half finished kitchen and mudroom.

Today I'm just testing space and getting a general feel for the ambiance of the place. But once it's really open to the public and I'm not just squatting, I will be making mesh add-ons for the houses. A lot of the furniture I'm using came from the same merchants your mentioned. It will all fit .. I assure you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Today I'm just testing space and getting a general feel for the ambiance of the place. But once it's really open to the public and I'm not just squatting, I will be making mesh add-ons for the houses. A lot of the furniture I'm using came from the same merchants your mentioned. It will all fit .. I assure you!

Will you consider making the bathrooms like a "box" so the inner walls and floor can have a tile texture? 💙💦

• Like 1

This is the Amazon model, in which Amazon provides a platform for selling things, and when they see something is selling well they feature their own version up for sale in competition. I assume if LL wants to go into the landlord (and house) business they have figured out they can make more money that way than from receiving tier from the landlords and builders whose businesses they will injure/destroy. 

5 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

This is the Amazon model, in which Amazon provides a platform for selling things, and when they see something is selling well they feature their own version up for sale in competition. I assume if LL wants to go into the landlord (and house) business they have figured out they can make more money that way than from receiving tier from the landlords and builders whose businesses they will injure/destroy. 

I don't think So Pam, there are still many who are going to want more land. This simply brings the Linden homes into the present with a more updated look. If I remember correctly, the same kind of argument was made when the first Linden homes came into being, but it didn't turn out that way did it?

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I don't think So Pam, there are still many who are going to want more land. This simply brings the Linden homes into the present with a more updated look. If I remember correctly, the same kind of argument was made when the first Linden homes came into being, but it didn't turn out that way did it?

Amazon does not drive everyone out of business, but I am pretty sure they hurt them. I remember quite a few businesses and landlords that specialized in tiny homes that threw in the towel when the first Linden Homes were introduced.  Then LL introduced mesh, which enabled people to upload stolen mesh from the internet. That hurt many businesses, killed some. Now this.

How is all this user created? It is not. So we can drop this myth that “everything in SL is created by users”. It’s not. 

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Pamela's spot on...sure, there are still landlords (me, for example) and estate owners renting to tenants...but there are fewer of us than there used to be, and we don't have as much land or as many tenants.  Caledon used to have about 40 regions...now it has 27, and may shrink further.  A lot of the blame for less land in SL goes to LL and the Linden Homes.  We learned to live with the 512 sq m. ones...so now LL has decided to take a bigger slice of the rental pie with 1024 homes.  At 175 prims, a lot of people feel constrained, and are inspired to "move up" to a larger parcel, a bigger home, and more prims.  The new homes have an allowance of 350 prims, and the pressure to move up will be much less.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I wonder if premade inner walls could be a thing that sells. The houses are no mod, and if someone would want a wallpaper with - daisies maybe? - they have to build inner walls: One flat prim to the left of the window, one under, one over, one to the right of the window. And that is just one wall. A lot of work for a room, especially since the faces must be adjusted in all the parts so the texture will fit seamless.

So an inner shell that fits the windows and doors, would that be a helluva job? It would be easy to install, and easy to texture for the customer.

8 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I wonder if premade inner walls could be a thing that sells. The houses are no mod, and if someone would want a wallpaper with - daisies maybe? - they have to build inner walls: One flat prim to the left of the window, one under, one over, one to the right of the window. And that is just one wall. A lot of work for a room, especially since the faces must be adjusted in all the parts so the texture will fit seamless.

So an inner shell that fits the windows and doors, would that be a helluva job? It would be easy to install, and easy to texture for the customer.

It's easy with mesh. It's also a whole new market for someone who wants to do the work. I honestly think a good size market for add-ons could be cultivated. 

Edited by Blush Bravin

10 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Pamela's spot on...sure, there are still landlords (me, for example) and estate owners renting to tenants...but there are fewer of us than there used to be, and we don't have as much land or as many tenants.  Caledon used to have about 40 regions...now it has 27, and may shrink further.  A lot of the blame for less land in SL goes to LL and the Linden Homes.  We learned to live with the 512 sq m. ones...so now LL has decided to take a bigger slice of the rental pie with 1024 homes.  At 175 prims, a lot of people feel constrained, and are inspired to "move up" to a larger parcel, a bigger home, and more prims.  The new homes have an allowance of 350 prims, and the pressure to move up will be much less.

Also, when landlords and builders are residents, they are the ones doing most of the first line customer support in SL. My guess is that LL is going to be biting off more support requests than they can chew.

Edited by Pamela Galli

1 minute ago, Blush Bravin said:

It's easy with mesh.

I see some add-ons for the old LL homes on the MP. From 1999 to 1 L.

If you price your things some place in between, I think they will be popular. Maybe wrap around porches too. I think they would look good on the tall houses. Endless possibilities.

And no more ugly metal road guard rails! Bless you, Lord Mole!

2 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I see some add-ons for the old LL homes on the MP. From 1999 to 1 L.

If you price your things some place in between, I think they will be popular. Maybe wrap around porches too. I think they would look good on the tall houses. Endless possibilities.

And no more ugly metal road guard rails! Bless you, Lord Mole!

I was only playing today. I don't think it would be fair to even try to start to make anything until the houses are open to everyone. But once that happens, you can bet I will be making all kinds of things for the houses. I have always made things because I wanted them and typically people would ask me if I sold that particular thing. Eventually I decided to start selling them and it's worked out. But I've never made anything first to sell. It's all about the fun for me! And it's been a long time since I've been so excited about a project.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

I knew it would work!

ssp_007.thumb.png.e08100d236c53acc14eb1ca0a9a287a4.png

I have quickly rezzed prims and put in place. I cheated and matched the color of the wall. They are not actually textured, but you get the idea. 

ssp_001.thumb.png.510c6ae7ae213b8396c131f05cc28645.png

The view coming up the stairs. You can see I have a lot of furniture rezzed out in this room. I have not resized any of it. All of it is the original size as coming from the creator of each piece.

ssp_004.thumb.png.efb14e478564dc491da92182d8b4be98.png

The bathroom is much larger than I imaged in would be. It has room for two vanities, 

ssp_005.thumb.png.8148dc57b672db56c2b0a44a7288df46.png

with a full sized tub and toilet.

ssp_006.thumb.png.e37ba287c9a70f9cc446592a36044100.png

I even have space for a writing desk and a closet. What more could you want in a master suite?

ssp_002.png

ssp_003.png

You are really good at this! I wish i had such skills.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1837 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.