Linden Homes Preview

Psylaine Silvershade

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1823 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Huh. That was some idea. One could have room for much in the garden. A bath house! With sauna and spa in the room under, maybe?

I think this is the idea - allowing room for people to add-on to their properties and is an incentive to not build in the sky. And I *really* like the Covenant portion that dictates anything built in the sky must be at a minimum altitude (generally outside the draw distance of most peoples' settings). 

It is becoming a dilemma for me... Keep the public place I've built for the community at large or dump that and grab me a couple of these new LL homes. Dayam. Well, neato to know if I do that I can set my own auction for the old place!

7 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

And I *really* like the Covenant portion that dictates anything built in the sky must be at a minimum altitude (generally outside the draw distance of most peoples' settings). 

I have noticed that things in the sky that are way beyond viewing distance can sometimes still cast a big shadow on the ground. I personally would have chosen for a no skybox policy. If the room you have on your parcel at ground level is not enough then maybe it's time to upgrade to a different piece of land. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Christhiana said:

I have noticed that things in the sky that are way beyond viewing distance can sometimes still cast a big shadow on the ground.

What is the minimum graphics setting for this to happen? I am pretty sure most users won't notice ;)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Christhiana said:

I have noticed that things in the sky that are way beyond viewing distance can sometimes still cast a big shadow on the ground.

Unless there's a viewer out there doing something extremely sub-optimal, you shouldn't see shadows cast by any object the viewer has never rezzed. So if you've flown up to within draw distance of a high-altitude skybox, it will cast shadows, otherwise not.

(But hmm. I've always thought this was per-session. I wonder if objects in cache can trick the viewer into drawing shadows. That would be a Very Bad Idea. I'm guessing it doesn't happen.)

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Like 1

I usually have my draw distance set at around 160 with ALM enabled. Qie's response got me thinking. It could be that the object was loaded in memory when zooming out of my parcel, but then it still remained while zooming back in. It happens on and off when I'm at my parcel.

37 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

What is the minimum graphics setting for this to happen? I am pretty sure most users won't notice ;)

Most people won't see a shadow from anything more than about 300 m above them.  Something at 2000+ m isn't going to cast a shadow for anybody.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I was thinking about the houses and possible additions. There are so many walls without windows. Couldn't an Add-On part use a "fake door" with a teleport script, in both the original house and the Add-On room, so instead of opening the door, you teleport through the wall?

Same could work for a garden house or a skybox that is not connected to the building. For "reality" feeling, click the fake door in your bedroom, and go straight into your spacious bath in the other build.

3 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

instead of opening the door, you teleport through the wall?

Yes, it's a pretty easy script. Within a region, it's practically instantaneous although the screen does blink black during the teleport. (And probably you hear a the teleport whoosh, too, but I almost never have sound turned on, so I forget.) This does, however, absolutely require that the person being teleported be a participant in the script's Experience, and that this Experience is enabled on the parcel. On the plus side, everybody with a Linden Home will be Premium and in control of their parcel Experiences.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Or you could - you know - not use an actual Teleport and instead use one of the many methods of moving an avatar upon sit.

Kind of like how these work.

3 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Yes, it's a pretty easy script. Within a region, it's practically instantaneous although the screen does blink black during the teleport. (And probably you hear a the teleport whoosh, too, but I almost never have sound turned on, so I forget.) This does, however, absolutely require that the person being teleported be a participant in the script's Experience, and that this Experience is enabled on the parcel. On the plus side, everybody with a Linden Home will be Premium and in control of their parcel Experiences.

Almost afraid to ask, but are you talking about 2 different things? I admit I was a bit puzzled about Qie when she used the word "Experience", but took it to be another way of saying teleport.

....Edit: Reading about "Experience teleport" on the Marketplace now....

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

Almost afraid to ask, but are you talking about 2 different things? I admit I was a bit puzzled about Qie when she used the word "Experience", but took it to be another way of saying teleport.

....Edit: Reading about "Experience teleport" on the Marketplace now....

Sort of.

What Qie is talking about is using the Experience system to trigger the same Teleport code that is used for Map and Landmark based teleportation.

The teleporter I linked to does not use Experiences nor does it use the teleport system Qie is talking about. You can use Experiences in conjunction with scripted position change teleporters though.

• Like 1

Ah. I may have been taking the "teleport through the wall" too literally: an Experience-based teleporter can be triggered by collision, so you can just walk right "through" the wall into your teleport destination, no need to click to Sit or anything. But there are certainly regular "everywhere doors" (or whatever they're called) that will teleport when clicked to sit, and they're perfectly fine and don't need any Experiences. And of course regular teleporter pads are perfectly practical, too.

I have no idea if there are free open source Experience-based teleport scripts around. If not, I could just dump some code somewhere, although the script I'd share uses a hard-coded destination whereas Experiences have a super handy way of "networking" with destinations shared among teleporters anywhere they're active on the grid; unfortunately my script that does that is hopelessly, confusingly complicated by other unrelated stuff. By now somebody else must have done it better anyway.

15 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

puzzled about Qie when she

Just in passing, Qie is a "he" -- although he's been known to cloud that distinction himself. 🐣

7 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I was thinking about the houses and possible additions. There are so many walls without windows. Couldn't an Add-On part use a "fake door" with a teleport script, in both the original house and the Add-On room, so instead of opening the door, you teleport through the wall?

Same could work for a garden house or a skybox that is not connected to the building. For "reality" feeling, click the fake door in your bedroom, and go straight into your spacious bath in the other build.

If I were to use the idea, I would erect a door where I like then cover the door with a 98% transparent prim with a teleport script inside. That way I could tp to whatever destination within my parcel I choose. I'd use the nearly transparent prim to house the script because no matter how fast your computer runs if using a visible prim to tp I typically will see that prim momentarily until it returns to its original location.  You'd need a script that tps on touch without having to give permission though to not break immersion.

Personally, I'd rather use a different approach by adding an addition at the back door of the house and constructing a whole new master suite with lots and lots of windows.

Edited by Blush Bravin

2 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Ah. I may have been taking the "teleport through the wall" too literally: an Experience-based teleporter can be triggered by collision, so you can just walk right "through" the wall into your teleport destination, no need to click to Sit or anything. But there are certainly regular "everywhere doors" (or whatever they're called) that will teleport when clicked to sit, and they're perfectly fine and don't need any Experiences. And of course regular teleporter pads are perfectly practical, too.

I have no idea if there are free open source Experience-based teleport scripts around. If not, I could just dump some code somewhere, although the script I'd share uses a hard-coded destination whereas Experiences have a super handy way of "networking" with destinations shared among teleporters anywhere they're active on the grid; unfortunately my script that does that is hopelessly, confusingly complicated by other unrelated stuff. By now somebody else must have done it better anyway.

Just in passing, Qie is a "he" -- although he's been known to cloud that distinction himself. 🐣

😳 Yes, I found some on the marketplace and it said the same as you -triggered by walking into them. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I do that with names a lot.😳

I thought "experiences" was Experiences with capital "E" big, flashy things. I never thought using it to walk from the bedroom and into the bath. 😁

31 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

😳 Yes, I found some on the marketplace and it said the same as you -triggered by walking into them. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I do that with names a lot.😳

I thought "experiences" was Experiences with capital "E" big, flashy things. I never thought using it to walk from the bedroom and into the bath. 😁

Just noting that when I asked about these kinds of teleporters (maybe last year) I was told by several people that they no longer worked because of some greifing possibilities and that the script function was retired.  So BEST to test out (as always) on a demo inworld before purchasing. 

Just a thought. I am a cam and sit kinda teleporter gal :D

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

If I were to use the idea, I would erect a door where I like then cover the door with a 98% transparent prim with a teleport script inside. That way I could tp to whatever destination within my parcel I choose. I'd use the nearly transparent prim to house the script because no matter how fast your computer runs if using a visible prim to tp I typically will see that prim momentarily until it returns to its original location.  You'd need a script that tps on touch without having to give permission though to not break immersion.

Personally, I'd rather use a different approach by adding an addition at the back door of the house and constructing a whole new master suite with lots and lots of windows.

It's just me rambling about different possibilities. When it's open and people start moving in, we should make a new thread only for Linden Homes, so the other thread is for Mainland and Private land. I am sure it is many things that can be done.

I would not want to use the only door out in the garden for a bedroom, but a conservatory.

But that 2 storey house we all like, I would totally love a 2 storey extension against the wall without windows. I would make a fake teleport door on that wall where you rezzed the beds. And downstairs a mudroom. Maybe LL would allow it, in the same textures. Maybe they would say "Nice try, but off with it".

I think too much. It's probably not enough LI for all my speculation. Furniture, garden, greenhouse or conservatory, swimmingpool and/or hot tub.... I think I run out of LI fast. Maybe I end up with a 3 LI half bathroom only as a prop.

32 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Just noting that when I asked about these kinds of teleporters (maybe last year) I was told by several people that they no longer worked because of some greifing possibilities and that the script function was retired. 

Unless it was several years ago, I think these people may have been confused. Back... gosh, I can't even hazard a guess, but it was while Kelly Linden was still holding Scripting office hours, so long before Sansar was so much as a glimmer in anybody's eye... anyway, back in the dark ages, they tried to introduce a premature version of the llTeleportAgent() function that ended up with Lindens getting teleported en masse to the Cornfield.

That's why it took literally years for the Lab to create Experiences to make sure nothing like that would ever happen again.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

Totally unrelated to this thread, except that we're all Premium members here so we all can have our own Experiences, free of charge: They can be even less flashy than the walk-through-wall teleporter. In fact, they can be completely invisible to the end user, never needing to ask for anybody's permissions, instead acting strictly as a massive data store. "Massive" compared to scripts, anyway, which are limited to 64 KB each, whereas an Experience can use up to 128 MB. It's not quite as accessible as just referencing a script variable, but on the plus side it can be read and written from anywhere on the grid that enables the Experience. It's a huge opportunity, largely untapped.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

We are if we get Linden Homes. Of course Experiences are relevant for non-Premium members too, but it was the only excuse I had for rambling on about them in this particular thread.

You left that minor but very important detail out. Not the excuse to ramble part. That was funny.

I have not logged in for a month. Finally in again. Not so good graphics, but good enough to see.

With a quick stroll around, it is only one house that I like. As I thought.

The gardens are really impressive. I tested some items. My largest tub deck, a greenhouse and a garden. I had the garden saved from an earlier place, it was in 1 object. The LL trees will save me from spending LI on a lot of large trees to surround the house.

It is no problems to fit a garden, greenhouse and an outdoor tub. Maybe a smaller one, I pulled out my really large tub base. The sides of the house have enough room for small groups of furniture, maybe a shack for garden utensils...

Yes, it is the landscaping that sells it. I like the houseboats better when I see them with my own eyes, too.

ll homes_001.jpg

ll homes_002.jpg

ll homes_003.jpg

• Like 7

I am not so 100% devoted to them, because the houses feel a bit... locked. Rigid.

I am spoilt by all the lovely houses made by SL residents.

I do dream about LL beautified land with more vegetation around, not only roads and waterways. It could have 1024 and 2048 plots that one could choose from. Sensible rules for builds. Not all need to be traditional. Could have red martian landscapes. Under the sea landscapes. Deserts with cacti.

No more odd landshapes because of 10 years of cutting up and abandoning land. No more strange pieces next to the road. Squares and rectangels only. I like this new ground color and trees.

Maybe this could be a premium perk. With a slightly higher premium fee for the 2048, not a doubled one. Could even add a double prim support for premiums, for a few dollar more. Would we pay 85 USD for a 2048? Double prim would be really great. I do not need so huge parts of land. I need higher LI. So far in my SL life, I get large land for high LI, then I have to decorate the land, because I get itchy when I look at bare ground.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1823 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.