Linden Homes Preview

Psylaine Silvershade

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1822 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I honestly don't think the Lab wants to compete with the rentals. I think their motivation is to make premium more attractive to new users. I think the whole point of Linden Homes has always been to attract and keep new residents. Sure they'll get the old timers like myself but I don't think that's who they are specifically targeting with this project. And while I agree that money is always at the root of the issue, in this case I think the idea is to attract new users and for them to bring their money with them and not to take money out of the pockets of those already here and in the land business. It's a careful balancing act and one I think the Lab does well. 

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 4

Well, here's a problem (from my perspective anyway) with the new Linden homes. 

They're very nicely built, look great, and are a lot of fun, but . . . completely out of scale with my avi (and that of my main, who is roughly the same height).

That's my issue, and my fault, of course: I chose to use a "realistically" scaled and proportioned shape. And, of course, the same issues arise with commercially available homes (I checked out a few for comparison at the adjoining H&G showcase). Too bad, though: door handles at shoulder height is kind of a deal breaker for me.

Linden-Homes-Blank.png

• Like 3

I've been at it again.. LOL .. wearing prims, but this time I've positioned myself inside a boathouse. I think this will be my second home after first living in one of the traditional houses.

So here's my idea. I'll close off the deck as shown making that a private garden area off of the bedroom. Then the other door will be the primary door with some nice front door accessories placed on the deck. 

1599978585_outside2.thumb.png.5a57b82ad2f5a5a84a79e817c4379550.png

As you enter the primary door you will be in the living room kitchen area.

1440259478_viewfromentry.thumb.png.1eff51929264abada2b11a2382b9d15e.png

I will add walls that will separate the bedroom/bath area from the living area. I will put in a small kichen in the little corner next to the bedroom door.

1476027293_livingroomviewtobedroomdoor.thumb.png.42ae710779ae3b58860ae04e7607b0b0.png

I will further separate that space dividing the area into a bedroom and bathroom.

bedroom.thumb.png.f1f1f1ecea7d7310dd8863a2d1ef1c5a.png

The bathroom will be small but adequate for a shower or possibly a bathtub. It even has it's own little window perfectly spaced high enough to allow privacy.1733550437_bathsizewwindow.thumb.png.2d848967c0d32bfe35d4b1877cd8e991.png

I'll probably end up spending most of my time up on top in my "other" kitchen/lounge/entertainment area.

outside 1.png

I know .... I have too much time on my hands .. lol !  Isn't retirement wonderful!

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 8

57 minutes ago, LaskyaClaren said:

They're very nicely built, look great, and are a lot of fun, but . . . completely out of scale with my avi (and that of my main, who is roughly the same height).

That's my issue, and my fault, of course: I chose to use a "realistically" scaled and proportioned shape. And, of course, the same issues arise with commercially available homes (I checked out a few for comparison at the adjoining H&G showcase). Too bad, though: door handles at shoulder height is kind of a deal breaker for me.

Linden-Homes-Blank.png

Sounds like LL has missed an opportunity to encourage smaller scale. A lot of people do still have giant avatars and want a large scale home and furniture, but as Penny always points out, smaller scale means more prims. It’s win win. 

Also, the windowsills are too high.

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Pamela Galli said:

Sounds like LL has missed an opportunity to encourage smaller scale. A lot of people do still have giant avatars and want a large scale home and furniture, but as Penny always points out, smaller scale means more prims. It’s win win. 

I totally get it. My avatar isn't short but any means but she's also not tall. And there's the problem, while I'm rather mid range we have a whole host of various sizes of avatars in SL. So it makes finding a happy medium difficult. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

Well, yes. But the problem is easy to see. My sense is that the covenants for the Linden homes will enforce certain visual standards (in the way, I guess, that condo developments usually do), so you wouldn't want smaller scaled homes in the same region as these larger ones, or it might look odd. I doubt that LL wants to set aside regions specifically for smaller sized avis.

I recall Penny saying like 6 years ago that more and more women (anyway) were choosing smaller avs. Maybe, but it's certainly still a pretty mixed bag.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, LaskyaClaren said:

Linden-Homes-Blank.png

I think it might be an issue with that one door. I went to the house and here I am next to that door;

doorBed.thumb.png.cf0180277f3528e9baf03b45206f18cd.png

however, the front door seems very reasonably sized.  

doorF.thumb.png.56a57439b5518f38d5d49eb880048849.png

Edited by Blush Bravin

Just now, Solar Legion said:

How tall is you avatar again, Blush?

The scale in that second shot is what I might expect of someone close to my own Real Life height (five foot, even).

She is 1.94 meters in her bare feet. I do have very high heels on today.

1 minute ago, Solar Legion said:

So six foot four then ....

Yeah, that's a tall door.

Just checked to be sure .. yeah 6.39 feet in my heels .. so would be shorter if I didn't have heels on. But yeah, I'm rather mid height for women in SL these days. I see lots and lots that make me look short but I also see many that I tower over. Scale is difficult at best in SL.

6 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I think it might be an issue with that one door.

That seems possible, although I had a similar sense (albeit maybe less dramatically) in the other rooms and models I checked.

My avi is about 1.78m, so roughly 5' 10" -- certainly not short by RL standards, but definitely on the low end of the scale in SL.

I'll check out some of the models again when I have a chance.

Just now, Blush Bravin said:

Just checked to be sure .. yeah 6.39 feet in my heels .. so would be shorter if I didn't have heels on. But yeah, I'm rather mid height for women in SL these days. I see lots and lots that make me look short but I also see many that I tower over. Scale is difficult at best in SL.

Very, it would seem. When not in an Anthropomorphic form, I tend to be around that height range in Second Life, sometimes actually a tiny bit shorter!

Most of my Anthro types are in the upper six foot to seven foot range, species depending. I think the only exceptions are my femmy felines!

Doorknob elbow height in SL is acceptable to me, because it is not glaringly out of scale for the giants or the sort of RL scale ones.

Shoulder height is 2007, when everything was huge. 

LL might be able to just shrink the over scale ones. Otherwise they will miss an opportunity.

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 1

It should probably be noted that there are physics issues with doors as well as the seemingly "walk through the wall" issue if one leaves the default camera angle.  This could be especially cumbersome and confusing with NEW folks. Houses with realistically sized doors  become a problem. 

That can be fixed in some ways with the physics model (making it so that a tall person can still get through a door).  When I was trying to make the doors on my houses smaller (and I also noted the problem on some high profile homebuilder's houses) I noted that my taller friend who is not all that tall for a guy couldn't enter the door even though it LOOKED like there was plenty of room. 

I still have some popular houses with small doors that don't work for tall folks.   The last couple of years I have often been making doorways  that are smaller but have adjusted physics models so that tall folks can still walk through. They DO see the top of the doorway visually (and yes, that bothers me) but it does give a better scale.  In part this is a problem left over from the very beginning of SL.   

A decade ago almost all the furniture was WAY too big for most avatars. Since them most furniture makers have downsized their furniture. 

I am two meters tall with heels on and I feel pretty average for a gal.  I guess I will note that INSIDE the house, my framerate was almost up to 30 fps --- this with my normal settings and 37 in this shot.  Not sure what changed.

Edit: While this door could have been a bit shorter with some physics tricks, that would mean more visual "walk through" issues. I think they did a good job with all that had to be considered. 

And yes, my shoes are actually touching the ground although it doesn't look like it so much in the photo :D. 

image.thumb.png.01056ae2edd2b8b9a5994c1903ec3386.png

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

You're going in a different house! Get the square meters of the house *I* showed, then let's see you stuff all your furniture in it LOL.

When the houses are open, get one of the actual ones *I showed* and then see how you like it. Honestly, this isn't rocket science -- except on the forums.

It won't matter if that one particular design is too small, (clearly at least one of the others isn't). The control panel in the mailbox allows you to choose which of the four houses you want on your parcel, and anyone who doesn't like the tiny one can rez one of the others instead.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LaskyaClaren said:

This is the case with MOST things in SL. Homes, Vehicles. Boats. Have you seen the laughable size of the BBX and Endeavor yachts at Sirens Isle? They are the size of the Shanghai Tower* - it's all laughable. Not to mention the default (horrible) Viewer Camera angle is looking DOWN at your butt and most people are 9-foot-tall giants - because they don't even know that they're doin'it'rong.

*Shanghai Tower is among the top ten tallest buildings in the world: https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/10-tallest-buildings-in-the-world.html

Edited by Alyona Su

I knew it would work!

ssp_007.thumb.png.e08100d236c53acc14eb1ca0a9a287a4.png

I have quickly rezzed prims and put in place. I cheated and matched the color of the wall. They are not actually textured, but you get the idea. 

ssp_001.thumb.png.510c6ae7ae213b8396c131f05cc28645.png

The view coming up the stairs. You can see I have a lot of furniture rezzed out in this room. I have not resized any of it. All of it is the original size as coming from the creator of each piece.

ssp_004.thumb.png.efb14e478564dc491da92182d8b4be98.png

The bathroom is much larger than I imaged in would be. It has room for two vanities, 

ssp_005.thumb.png.8148dc57b672db56c2b0a44a7288df46.png

with a full sized tub and toilet.

ssp_006.thumb.png.e37ba287c9a70f9cc446592a36044100.png

I even have space for a writing desk and a closet. What more could you want in a master suite?

ssp_002.png

ssp_003.png

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 11

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1822 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.