Linden Homes Preview

Psylaine Silvershade

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1796 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

The gardens look big enough for a vegetable garden! Or an above ground backyard pool maybe?

If I would take a house instead of houseboat then I would definitely put a big above ground swimming pool in the backyard. I already made some measurements with my wearable measuring stick in some backyards. It's easy to fit there the same size pool or even slightly bigger what I had in my summer house in Gaeta 1 continent. Which is cool! :D

I went shopping yesterday for one of those funky soft-wall above-ground swimming pools. You know the kind you saw pop up during the summer in nearly every back yard of those who could not afford an in-ground pool. And the side yard is perfect for a small vegetable and herb garden. 

2 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

If I would take a house instead of houseboat then I would definitely put a big above ground swimming pool in the backyard. I already made some measurements with my wearable measuring stick in some backyards. It's easy to fit there the same size pool or even slightly bigger what I had in my summer house in Gaeta 1 continent. Which is cool! :D

How do you avoid the stick moving with you? Do you go into a stiff pose? I have done some of the same - made a prim and attached it to my center. It looks crude, but it did the job.

1 hour ago, Blush Bravin said:

I went shopping yesterday for one of those funky soft-wall above-ground swimming pools. You know the kind you saw pop up during the summer in nearly every back yard of those who could not afford an in-ground pool. And the side yard is perfect for a small vegetable and herb garden. 

Already shopping for the new houses? Lol. Yes Blush, it is one of those (usually blue) I mean. I saw 2-3 in the MP that I like.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marianne Little said:

How do you avoid the stick moving with you? Do you go into a stiff pose? I have done some of the same - made a prim and attached it to my center. It looks crude, but it did the job.

Attach the prim to avatar center .. not just center .. but be warned if you tp like that you'll probably loose your body.  I position my avatar in the center of the space .. sit on the floor using a ground sit and "add" the measuring prim. It works pretty well this way.

I took a look around the preview -- Good Lord, these new houses are terribly cramped!

They are all stairwells -- and stairwells with sharp turns, at that.

The front parlour looks more like a closet. The master bedroom likely can't fit most double beds. 

There's one version that has a deck on the second floor which you will definitely want to try to snag, as it is so claustrophobic indoors!

The Lindens really ought to have been forced to live in these homes for two weeks and they'd get the problem. They are making an externally beautiful and neat-looking home but it's like a sculpture, not a place you can inhabit. And not even an FLW sculpture. Since it's a preview, perhaps it's not too late for them to big up these houses a bit - try furnishing them and see the results.

Magic Mole has evidently made some new trees for the occasion which are quite nice, hedges, too.

The "suburban look" of the area will grab many people, as the old Brown and Boardman used to (they seem so ugly now) because many people like the "idea" of a community. The reality, when they get inside a cramped sculpture -- not a home -- cheek-by-jowl with other residents is that they don't like it.

stairway.jpg

look.jpg

Master.jpg

Tiny.jpg

New Suburbia.jpg

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

If creators would stop making furniture for giants, that would be much less of a problem.

There is already a lot of furniture that looks good with a normal sized avatar. However, smaller furniture means the doors and windows need to fit those dimensions aswell.

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I took a look around the preview -- Good Lord, these new houses are terribly cramped!

They are all stairwells -- and stairwells with sharp turns, at that.

The front parlour looks more like a closet. The master bedroom likely can't fit most double beds. 

There's one version that has a deck on the second floor which you will definitely want to try to snag, as it is so claustrophobic indoors!

The Lindens really ought to have been forced to live in these homes for two weeks and they'd get the problem. They are making an externally beautiful and neat-looking home but it's like a sculpture, not a place you can inhabit. And not even an FLW sculpture. Since it's a preview, perhaps it's not too late for them to big up these houses a bit - try furnishing them and see the results.

Magic Mole has evidently made some new trees for the occasion which are quite nice, hedges, too.

The "suburban look" of the area will grab many people, as the old Brown and Boardman used to (they seem so ugly now) because many people like the "idea" of a community. The reality, when they get inside a cramped sculpture -- not a home -- cheek-by-jowl with other residents is that they don't like it.

A big part of why your perception that the houses are too cramped is your camera angle. Try resetting it to be along your actual eye sight and you won't feel nearly as cramped. Also, if you're stuck back in 2008 mode with a very tall avatar .. maybe adjust that a bit as well. Honestly, these houses are sized very well and leave us plenty room to make adjustments and additions to the exterior. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

A big part of why your perception that the houses are too cramped is your camera angle. Try resetting it to be along your actual eye sight and you won't feel nearly as cramped. Also, if you're stuck back in 2008 mode with a very tall avatar .. maybe adjust that a bit as well. Honestly, these houses are sized very well and leave us plenty room to make adjustments and additions to the exterior. 

It's amazing how people put on blinkers about the reality of something -- for all kinds of political reasons.

My very tall avatar isn't in the picture, and it doesn't matter, the rooms are still very small as anyone can tell you if they're honest.

I walked through and cammed through these houses and believe me, they are way too small compared to most modern houses on the market today.

I suppose these houses are "well sized" only if you are a tiny furry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

It's amazing how people put on blinkers about the reality of something -- for all kinds of political reasons.

My very tall avatar isn't in the picture, and it doesn't matter, the rooms are still very small as anyone can tell you if they're honest.

I walked through and cammed through these houses and believe me, they are way too small compared to most modern houses on the market today.

I suppose these houses are "well sized" only if you are a tiny furry.

Just to show you that I don't have blinkers on .. here's a pic of my current house with a prim used to measure. Notice the edit window with dimensions.

compare2.thumb.jpg.dfdd205d6899b5f7497567f03031d1a7.jpg

And here is the same prim compared to one of the new Linden homes .. again notice the dimensions in the edit window so you can see I have not changed the prim at all.

compare.thumb.jpg.34fb3c5282442faeb8de1dd7405332ba.jpg

As you can see the Linden home is larger than the one I'm currently living in which I purchased from Barnesworth Anubis. 

I posted about this house in the Home and Garden thread just yesterday. The house is small but perfectly large enough for what I want in a home.

officeKITCHENdining_002.thumb.png.69986028250c3bf31ff278a91ebc9a00.png

If anyone has blinkers on I think it's you!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bree Giffen said:

So they actually allow you to go into the homes? The doors and windows are unlocked? The interiors look kinda bare. I think I'll wait a bit. 

yes, you can walk around freely, interior is empty.. waiting for you to make it a home :)

I personally think the larger ones are a bit too large for my taste, I like the single level ones.  I like a house that I can put lots of stuff in and have it look like a real person lives there.  I can't do that with some of the HUGE homes I've seen in SL, not and stay within a reasonable amount of LI.  I shrink houses down when I can.

• Like 1

• Administrators
32 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

So they actually allow you to go into the homes? The doors and windows are unlocked? The interiors look kinda bare. I think I'll wait a bit. 

Uhm.

I think, just to be clear so there's no confusion, the houses have modern control panel systems inside that allow you to lock up the house, access list it, etc.  

The demo houses in the preview are open for everyone to walk through and the control panel system is disabled.

• Thanks 4

19 minutes ago, Sandy Schnook said:

@Blush Bravin, dang now I may have to go shopping.  I took a look at your home in the Home and Garden thread and love how it looks.  Well done, it's stunning IMO.

Thanks! But you know, it wouldn't look near as nice if that house were one of those too large houses. Making something look great is all in the details and when a house is too big it just doesn't work. By the time you get enough in a house, if you have enough prims, it gets too laggy with all those extras in it. So yeah, in this case small is definitely better!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I attach the measuring stick to avatar center. No need to go to stiff pose, the measuring stick stays pretty well in place even when the avatar's AO is on. That's the magic of avatar center attachment point. Then I can just move, rotate and stretch the stick as needed to measure things.

I don't think we'll get a real impression until they're actually rolled out. Based on this preview everything seems pretty cramped to me.

But it does look nice, no argument there. I suspect the houseboat parcels will be in some demand. A big plus is the ability to have a skybox. Although a skybox above one of those houseboat shaped parcels?

Connectedness would be a big selling point for me (road/water). Not ready to give up my mainland parcel for this based on what I've seen. Which is good news for those of you who seem more than ready to move in I suppose. :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1796 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.