Linden Homes Preview

Psylaine Silvershade

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1796 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 3/19/2019 at 12:22 PM, Blush Bravin said:

Just to show you that I don't have blinkers on .. here's a pic of my current house with a prim used to measure. Notice the edit window with dimensions.

And here is the same prim compared to one of the new Linden homes .. again notice the dimensions in the edit window so you can see I have not changed the prim at all.

As you can see the Linden home is larger than the one I'm currently living in which I purchased from Barnesworth Anubis. 

I posted about this house in the Home and Garden thread just yesterday. The house is small but perfectly large enough for what I want in a home.

If anyone has blinkers on I think it's you!

Amazing how people will stop at nothing, and post any kind of distracting information to make a point they can't let go of!

You're getting the dimensions of THE ENTIRE HOUSE by getting the prim dimensions -- look at it!

But that's several rooms!

Go and take out a tape measure, and see the difference when you actually measure THE ROOMS INSIDE!

Also, you're picking a different house with a different ranch-style layout. I'm showing a two-story, tiny, narrow house that I can't believe anybody but a tiny or small furry could be comfortable in.

Note that the room is 8 meters across. But the depth is about 5! Not 8 or 9!

Compare and contrast to say, Barnesworth Anubis typical house -- which is also 8 across, but then 8-9 in depth.

Combine that with low ceilings, and you really have a coffin!

Why is this so hard? This house I've shown here that is too small is nothing like the house you live in now in size.

lance_001.png

lance_002.png

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

I got up this morning and decided to test the size of the bedroom of my favorite of the new Linden Homes. So here I am with a prim attached, which is the exact size of the bed I have rezzed in my current home, standing in the bedroom. As I thought, there's plenty room for my bedroom furniture and to construct a small bathroom.

bed_001.thumb.png.1166d7831d0a0d5133b377475c06a938.png

So much for one person's opinion that you could only get a bed in the room. 

You're going in a different house! Get the square meters of the house *I* showed, then let's see you stuff all your furniture in it LOL.

When the houses are open, get one of the actual ones *I showed* and then see how you like it. Honestly, this isn't rocket science -- except on the forums.

• Haha 1

A smaller house may cater for different functions.

If I were to get one of these, I would go for a smaller house, so i had a bit more garden for some plants and a deck chair. Put maybe some basic furnishings in the house and a telepad up to my main skybox living space up away from the neighbours' texture lag.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

dacha according to google :)

Interesting, to me it only offered "country house" which in my mind conjures 3 story palaces of the English nobility...

*smacks google with a big trout for being such an unpredictable filter bubble*

Edited by Fionalein
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

You're going in a different house! Get the square meters of the house *I* showed, then let's see you stuff all your furniture in it LOL.

The houses are on a rezzer and can be swapped in and out as the tenant likes. That one you show is a bit tacky compared to the lovely B&A you show, but people are weird, at the best of times... it's possible some people will have a use-case for a tiny dog-box. Maybe they are residents who love living outside, so the house is nothing more then a prop.

I am someone who prefers outside myself, my go-to homes for myself are the big Elf building from Compulsion, the + shaped home from Maven, and the  pavilions from Trompe Loeil because they are all so open. If I were making my home on one of those parcels the house would be fully empty and all my LI would go into the garden. (I am assuming that there isn't an option of no-home)

41 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Interesting, do me it only offered "country house" which in my mind conjures 3 story palaces of the English nobility...

"Holiday Home" I think. "Country House" is a bit pretentious.

Prok is an experienced and published translator, I'd actually love them to mention the correct translation, please :) .

Edited by Shudo

1 hour ago, Fionalein said:

Interesting, do me it only offered "country house" which in my mind conjures 3 story palaces of the English nobility...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dacha

"A dacha (Russian: дача) is a seasonal or year-round second home, often located in the exurbs of Russian-speaking and other post-Soviet countries. A cottage or shack serving as a family's main or only home, or an outbuilding, is not considered a dacha."

Dachas.jpg.f6eab50f38a8e9eadbf48aef025868a7.jpg

Edited by Coby Foden
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

When the houses are open, get one of the actual ones *I showed* and then see how you like it. Honestly, this isn't rocket science -- except on the forums.

Your opinion of the houses was read like all of the houses are not usable. It was clearly implied. You came with critics of one house style, we wanted one of the others. Where did you say we could not pick one of other the houses?

Since we can choose to pick the house that fits furniture better, the high and tall house layout is not mandatory.

• Like 2

One thing that @Pamela Gallisaid on the first page. I have been thinking about it. I now believe that this will hurt land barons and also sellers of houses.

Especially since this is two of several new options to come.

I am sure this is calculated by LL. Do they make more money of turning the population of SL to Premium, is that a better deal than having a lot of free accounts renting land from estates? How large part of the LL income is the tier for landbarons?

I think it will always be a demand for land to build freely on. The question LL must ask, will LL provide this land, (and have some rules) or will LL let the private estates continue? And how attractive should the new houses be, before they kill private estates? Maybe LL think they can find that optimal balance. Time will tell.

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

How large part of the LL income is the tier for landbarons?

Based on my estate, I pay 4:1 premiums. But I am not a cookie cutter, so have nice common areas.

As an example to this 4:1 ratio, if I have 20 people renting, then I am giving the lab 80 x $9.95 of tier. They get US$760 from me, or US$190 from individual premiums. What throws this off of course, is parcel size.

I have two 300 Prim parcels on my whole estate, the rest are much larger. For many people in my market 300 prims isn't enough (even when I link the house and trees outside into the common allotment, as I do)

In that one preview region there are 25 x 1024 parcels, so it's a revenue of US$237.50, GF full region is US$195, so they make $41.50 more, but non-GF full is US$295, so that's $58 less. (assuming it's cut the same way)

Edited by Shudo

5 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

When the houses are open, get one of the actual ones *I showed* and then see how you like it. Honestly, this isn't rocket science -- except on the forums

bed2_004.thumb.png.525d4757c73537bcd0ead5c976d3f128.pngbed2_005.thumb.png.f20cefdb9e2a250237d25c55d888723a.pngbed2_006.thumb.png.976e65a72cd1e487d20e6dc3a21e2552.pngbed2_007.thumb.png.8d28b5618d1c16005f92626a69e4f364.png

My furniture easily fits in any of these houses evidenced by the above photos. You can find large houses all over SL, does that mean you'll find me living in one, absolutely not! I don't like large houses. When I buy a house, and believe me even though I make and sell houses myself, I have a very large collection of house made by many different creators in SL, I look for the small houses. I do NOT like large houses. They take too many prims to decorate properly. And even if I have an unlimited amount of prims the worse part is they take too much texture memory to rez properly. So I always look for small houses that I can fill with all the things I think makes a home look lived in. I don't want my house to look like a picture from Architectural Digest, I want my house to look lived in. I can't do that to my liking with the majority of houses in SL because they are just too big!!

• Like 6

There will still be private estates, simply because a LOT of folks want more than a 1024 sized lot (even with the extra prims). Most estates that I have seen have larger plots (many quarter of sims) most likely because it is much less hassle with fewer renters. 

I didn't understand Shudo's post and math above at all so this isn't a comment to that. BUT --- I am SURE Linden Lab has done the math and believes this change will be good for the bottom line.  

IF this move not only upgrades nicely the Linden Home land model, but also keep that 30% (never said as the actual proposed percentage just the number mentioned a few times by Ebbe) fee away from the Marketplace -- it is likely a VERY good move for the grid as a whole. Changing the "tax" structure in Sansar so that the content creators carried most of it had pretty disastrous results.  Hopefully that lesson was learned and a more balanced supportive structure will remain in place in Second Life. 

29 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

...fits in these houses evidenced by the above photos. You can find large houses all over SL, does that mean you'll find me living in one, absolutely not! I don't like large houses. When I buy a house, and believe me even though I make and sell houses myself, I have a very large collection of house made by many different creators in SL, I look for the small houses. I do NOT like large houses. They take too many prims to decorate properly. And even if I have an unlimited amount of prims the worse part is they take too much texture memory to rez properly. So I always look for small houses that I can fill with all the things I think makes a home look lived in. I don't want my house to look like a picture from Architectural Digest, I want my house to look lived in. I can't do that to my liking with the majority of houses in SL because they are just too big!!

Ditto.

But here's the thing so many people forget about: Get a giant house. Fill it all up with all kinds of furniture, all decked out with ever sex bed, sex sofa, sex sink and refrigerator you can think of. Spend 5% of your in-world time there and 90% of that time AFK standing around.

I've done the home thing for years. And when I realized so little time is actually spent there, I decided to dump the house thing and make an open-to-the-public fun thing. LOL

MY POINT is simply this: These houses are plenty large. Most decent furniture will fit inside them. And less is more, and part of that "more" is less rezzing/geometry-building lag, too.

• Like 6

That tiny home might be nice on the beach, as a beach shack.

f2c9821d3412831f758e495ea2c9b31f.png.8b1f71c479e7b5f8432298309a45784b.png

24 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I didn't understand Shudo's post and math above at all so this isn't a comment to that. BUT --- I am SURE Linden Lab has done the math and believes this change will be good for the bottom line.  

25 plots per sim at US$9.50 each = US$237.50 vs $295 cut privately the same way.

And yes, I am absolutely sure the lab have done the sums too, Patch and Grumpity and all the people there are pretty expert at the fine balance. Yep, our current crop of managers know their jobs pretty well compared to the dim dark days of 2010.

2 minutes ago, Shudo said:

25 plots per sim at US$9.50 each = US$237.50 vs $295 cut privately the same way.

There's a problem with your numbers though. Considering that a premium paid annually is only $72, which equals to $6.00 a month. I'm not disagreeing with the concept just that the numbers are a bit more flexible than you indicate. I know many people like myself pay annually as it doesn't make much sense to spend all that extra money when the up front cost to pay annually is so cheap.

4 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

There's a problem with your numbers though. Considering that a premium paid annually is only $72, which equals to $6.00 a month.

Yep, and that means the lab get even less money for that mix, so is worse off. The $237.50 is the most they can earn for a packed to the gills region.

Balancing that is that there are a lot of $195 a month grandfathered/buy down fulls in the hands of the agents.

And of course, as a bonus are the people they tip into premium who were free and landless before. Nice housing can do that.

(edit: poop, I am messing up my post:like ratio private-game, I will stop talking for a while. Forums are addictive)

Edited by Shudo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1796 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.