Jump to content
Blush Bravin

New emoji needed for reactions

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

Sometimes I'm tempted to use the laugh to show that I don't agree or I think the comment is ludicrous, but that also gives the person a point and doesn't really convey what I would really like to say. Plus I just think it's rude to laugh at someone with whom you disagree.

Over in the Sansar forums you can vote up or down a comment. I kind of like that idea. Maybe. Sorta. :P 

You can vote posts up and down in the Answers forum.  It's a real pain, because posts are ordered by votes, by default, and that totally screws up the thread's internal logic.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone already asked for a Facepalm emoji?

facepalm-emoticon.png

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there is really too many to choose from and if they should add points or not or for some people who wish had the power take points to maybe take a poke at the over-sized ego's of those with high point values.

Honestly I think only the cup should add a point, none of the others should. the rest should just be reaction emjoi's to show a reaction or feeling about the post.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

or for some people who wish had the power take points to maybe take a poke at the over-sized ego's of those with high point values.

Generally "points down" systems only end up reinforcing the echo chamber. Maybe more so then the second meaning a 😄 might carry.

Say something wrong and the clique will vote you down into oblivion.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Shudo said:

Generally "points down" systems only end up reinforcing the echo chamber. Maybe more so then the second meaning a 😄 might carry.

Say something wrong and the clique will vote you down into oblivion.

reputation/point systems never work well in forums and never can. they will always be abused by someone in some manner. which is why I sort of think it should be removed from sl forums. and the emoji's should just be an added in reaction to the over post, with no benefit or drawback to them at all all.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

reputation/point systems never work well in forums and never can. they will always be abused by someone in some manner. which is why I sort of think it should be removed from sl forums. and the emoji's should just be an added in reaction to the over post, with no benefit or drawback to them at all all.

So...are you referring to “votes” on answers posts, or our “post count and like count”?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

So...are you referring to “votes” on answers posts, or our “post count and like count”?

actually both the votes and like count. both can easily be abused and are often in most forums even here by some people.

the other problem the votes has is it rearranges the thread based upon the votes making the comments out of order in which they were posted which can affect the stream and how people see or understand what was being said by everyone in the thread.

like counts are kind of used as ego strokers by some and by others as means to try and maybe get some people to think they are important or special in the forums, when really they are not. its used as a cliche system of who is part of the in crowd or not and can become intimidating to some when being faced with replies by people with high like counts, and can be a reason why some do not reply back after their thread is invaded by someone with a high like count.

reputation systems in general usually bring out the worst in people not the best, this has been seen in lots of places I have been that used them.

It shouldn't matter how many likes a person has, or a rank about what they say and if its important or not, or more or less valid on many things. but some like to think it does and want others to think that way too. its a form of mental/psychological/emotional manipulation in a way.

on the voting system up votes would be fine if they didnt move the posts, down votes shouldn't be allowed on any post that has 0 votes to begin with or any more when reaching 0. it just becomes a bullying/shaming system then. the lowest score a answer thread should be allowed to have is 0 with no reactions; for that alone lets people see that no one agreed with them.

if anything the like count and post count should be made private for only the user to see.

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold
a small addition
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

the other problem the votes has is it rearranges the thread based upon the votes making the comments out of order in which they were posted which can affect the stream and how people see or understand what was being said by everyone in the thread.

You can resort by entry, it’s a button right there.

 

40 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

Reputation systems in general usually bring out the worst in people not the best, this has been seen in lots of places I have been that used them.

It shouldn't matter how many likes a person has, or a rank about what they say and if its important or not, or more or less valid on many things. but some like to think it does and want others to think that way too. its a form of mental/psychological/emotional manipulation in a way.

I try to use my rep for good, not for evil.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

You can resort by entry, it’s a button right there.

The "sorting" is not obvious to everyone.  I just recently had to explain in another thread about the voting and how it re-orders the posts and how to sort by date instead so that all comments would make sense (because they did not when read in the 'vote' order).

I understand the logic behind the 'voting' of an "Answers" section, but it only sometimes works as designed simply because it can so easily be abused, and often is.

 

As to all of the reactions giving us increased "Reputation" points, I wouldn't have any problem with that being restricted to the "Thanks", but I definitely don't think that anything should result in negative Rep points.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Halo Minoptra said:

Several times I've looked for a Hug emoji.  If I could only get one, that would be it.

🤗

From: https://emojipedia.org/hugging-face/

🤗 Hugging Face

A yellow face smiling with open hands, as if giving a hug. Many platforms feature the same expression as their 😊 Smiling Face With Smiling Eyes.

May be used to offer thanks and support, show love and care, or express warm, positive feelings more generally. Due to its hand gesture, often used to represent jazz hands, indicating such feelings as excitement, enthusiasm, or a sense of flourish or accomplishment.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

🤗

From: https://emojipedia.org/hugging-face/

🤗 Hugging Face

A yellow face smiling with open hands, as if giving a hug. Many platforms feature the same expression as their 😊 Smiling Face With Smiling Eyes.

May be used to offer thanks and support, show love and care, or express warm, positive feelings more generally. Due to its hand gesture, often used to represent jazz hands, indicating such feelings as excitement, enthusiasm, or a sense of flourish or accomplishment.

Thanks - I'll use it. I know it's stupid, but I never thought I could just use my own.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Halo Minoptra said:

Thanks - I'll use it. I know it's stupid, but I never thought I could just use my own.

I am not sure what you see when you press the smiley face icon in the forum text editor but for me this emoji is certainly in the set displayed there 🙂

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I am not sure what you see when you press the smiley face icon in the forum text editor but for me this emoji is certainly in the set displayed there 🙂

Duh! I never noticed that button. But I thought we were talking about the ones that let us react to someone else's comment -- the ones you see when you hover over the heart. There are only five reactions available.

Edited by Halo Minoptra
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Halo Minoptra said:

Duh! I never noticed that button. But I thought we were talking about the ones that let us react to someone else's comment -- the ones you see when you hover over the heart. There are only five reactions available.

Well yes, this topic was about that but I must admit I though the topic had drifted a little.  Anyway, I agree it would be nice to have a hug emoji for the reaction buttons 🙂

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 2/21/2019 at 11:42 AM, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

like counts are kind of used as ego strokers by some and by others as means to try and maybe get some people to think they are important or special in the forums, when really they are not. its used as a cliche system of who is part of the in crowd or not and can become intimidating to some when being faced with replies by people with high like counts, and can be a reason why some do not reply back after their thread is invaded by someone with a high like count.

reputation systems in general usually bring out the worst in people not the best, this has been seen in lots of places I have been that used them.

It shouldn't matter how many likes a person has, or a rank about what they say and if its important or not, or more or less valid on many things. but some like to think it does and want others to think that way too. its a form of mental/psychological/emotional manipulation in a way.

I entirely understand why some people feel this way about forum reputation points, although I can't think of anyone here who, so far as I can discern, obviously pursues "likes." (I did so, as a joke, several months ago, and even had a thread about it, but that was really just for fun.) I am a little disturbed by the suggestion, that I have highlighted in black above, that new posters may feel "intimidated" by engaging with "veteran" forumites with high post and/or reputation counts. Does anyone know of a case of someone actually feeling this way?

I can also understand why some think that the whole system has been essentially corrupted and rendered meaningless by the difference between the way that likes are awarded in most of the subforums and threads, and how they are doled out by the shovelful in the "vanity" threads here. It's absolutely true that getting, say, 10 "likes" on a GD forum post represents a reasonably noteworthy accomplishment, whereas the average "look at me" post on one of the vanity threads is routinely awarded with between 12 and 20 "likes," and more if the picture is particularly excellent (or, perhaps, the poster especially popular?). In this context, comparing the reputation point totals between someone who regularly posts pics on the "How Does Your Avatar Look Today" thread, or "The Vanity Thread," and someone who doesn't, is really like comparing apples and oranges. (In the course of about 5 months, I've accumulated nearly 5000 reputation points. I haven't counted, but the sizable majority of those unquestionably come from my pictures.)

But rather than thinking that the vanity threads have "debased" the value of reputation points, or that they are purely about ego, self-aggrandizement, or cliques, I want to suggest another way to view them.

One of the things I most like about the vanity threads is the degree to which they have created and sustained a really supportive, open, and inclusive community of posters. There isn't anything even approaching the quarrelsomeness on these threads that you see, for instance, in GD. And one of the most visible mechanisms that has produced that community, and the most dramatic sign of it, is the way in which "likes" are doled out generously. Yes, the very best pics do tend to get somewhat more "likes," but even the crappiest pictures (and I should know, having posted a few of those) will garner about 10 likes or more. And I have absolutely no problem with that, because it as an index of how supportive and accepting this little community is.

I know that's probably not what reputation points are supposed to do, but I think community-building is probably the most positive thing that they can contribute to this forum. Maybe, were we a little more generous on the GD forum and elsewhere, we might find ourselves a teeny bit more inclusive and accepting there too?

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I entirely understand why some people feel this way about forum reputation points, although I can't think of anyone here who, so far as I can discern, obviously pursues "likes."

LIKE ME NAOW!

 

Well they would a great way to show dislike of an answer that would be technically correct in the answers section (but folks will downvote a good answer they are uncomfortable with anyways, as voting is anonymous)

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The "sad" emoji and "confused" get the point across imho.  We have 5 emoji's now in feedback and dozens in the reply pick list.  Its enough, I think. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...