New emoji needed for reactions

Blush Bravin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1495 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Pwnz0r Hax said:

If Second Life uses my content without my permission, they will be facing a lawsuit.

Oooh, better delete your account then, because you agreed to their terms of service before you were able to login the first time and those terms says they can use anything and everything you ever create or upload or say on the SL grid. So, as for that law suit: good luck with that.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Oooh, better delete your account then, because you agreed to their terms of service before you were able to login the first time and those terms says they can use anything and everything you ever create or upload or say on the SL grid. So, as for that law suit: good luck with that.

Before you start a ridiculous argument, it was never created or used on Second Life at all. The user who posted it stole it from my community's website. No terms of service protects them from that.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Pwnz0r Hax said:

Before you start a ridiculous argument, it was never created or used on Second Life at all. The user who posted it stole it from my community's website. No terms of service protects them from that.

Not an argument; an observation. Odd, what does SL have to do with anything and why would you sue them for anything that has nothing to do with them? If it wasn't created or used in Second Life (as I've highlighted in your OC,) then... Huh.

You specifically said:

If Second Life uses my content without my permission, they will be facing a lawsuit.

Which implies that you accuse Linden Lab directly, not any specific user. In which case, all you can do is submit a DMCA Takedown notice over that content. Then they'll do it. But then you must file a legal action against the user, or by the same DMCA law they can put it back up and even sue you for false takedown notice.

If you're going to be throwing the "law suit" words around, at least know who you're supposed to be aiming at.

Smart people know their rights, but smarter people also know the rights of those against them.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Pwnz0r Hax said:

Nobody except LL can modify posts older than 24 hours.

You may be able to get all copies of the image removed here via a Support ticket along with some proof that you own the image.  Otherwise, you'll need to file a DMCA Takedown Notice.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

The post being complained about is from 2018. I wonder if there is a Statute of Limitations regarding actions for theft of silly cartoons? 

It is stolen copyrighted content. There is none.

12 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Nobody except LL can modify posts older than 24 hours.

You may be able to get all copies of the image removed here via a Support ticket along with some proof that you own the image.  Otherwise, you'll need to file a DMCA Takedown Notice.

Which I'm aware of. I've already taken the appropriate actions.

12 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Which implies that you accuse Linden Lab directly, not any specific user. In which case, all you can do is submit a DMCA Takedown notice over that content. Then they'll do it. But then you must file a legal action against the user, or by the same DMCA law they can put it back up and even sue you for false takedown notice.

If you're going to be throwing the "law suit" words around, at least know who you're supposed to be aiming at.

Smart people know their rights, but smarter people also know the rights of those against them.

I'm well aware of what it means. Second Life has not yet stolen my content. The topic was to suggest that it be officially used by Second Life, which means they would be accepting a stolen image to use on their website. As long as they don't do this, they have nothing to worry about in terms of a lawsuit.

9 hours ago, Pwnz0r Hax said:

The topic was to suggest that it be officially used by Second Life, which means they would be accepting a stolen image to use on their website. As long as they don't do this, they have nothing to worry about in terms of a lawsuit.

Again, you are mistaking how the law works. You can demand a DMCA takedown and that's about it. As for Linden Lab using the image that was put into the grid, they are not the offender, the one putting it into the grid is. There also is the fair-use doctrine of copyright law, where with imagery, there must be substantial derivative version, used as news-worthy or educational purpose, etc. That would be the only case you would have for going beyond DMCA with an actual law suit.

I'm not trying to debunk you and I am not saying you don't have a case, I am mostly clarifying your situation for other readers who may find themselves in the same or similar situation, that's all.

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

Again, you are mistaking how the law works. You can demand a DMCA takedown and that's about it. As for Linden Lab using the image that was put into the grid, they are not the offender, the one putting it into the grid is. There also is the fair-use doctrine of copyright law, where with imagery, there must be substantial derivative version, used as news-worthy or educational purpose, etc. That would be the only case you would have for going beyond DMCA with an actual law suit.

I'm not trying to debunk you and I am not saying you don't have a case, I am mostly clarifying your situation for other readers who may find themselves in the same or similar situation, that's all.

Linden Labs is not using it on the grid. I'm talking about them using it here on the forum. This is a separate entity from their in-game server systems. If they use the image that was posted here by another user on this forum despite me denying them permission to do so, then yes, they are liable to have action taken against them. So long as they don't do that, they are fine.

I've already reported the theft of the image to their forum moderators for removal. If they refuse, then yes, a DMCA take-down notice will be warranted, but I'm hoping it doesn't get that far. My comment about me suing Second Life for using it was directed at the person who thought it was funny to say that they should use it on the forum anyway despite me not granting them permission for such. Second Life, (and Linden Labs), are safe from that as long as they don't use it on their forum.

2 hours ago, Pwnz0r Hax said:

I've already reported the theft of the image to their forum moderators for removal.

You are not doing it correctly. You must file a DMCA takedown notice.

Follow these instructions and do it right, rather than throwing around idle law-suit threats: https://www.lindenlab.com/legal/intellectual-property-infringement-notification-policy

Be careful, because if a counter-notification is filed, you can be sued for up to $10,000 U.S. for filing a false claim.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/12/2018 at 3:20 PM, Fionalein said:

I would even take the "sad" and "confused" faces we can use for reactions.... please give us thos etoinsert in texts

PS: While on it please add the traditional red herring we can feed to the trolls :ph34r:

759D5BC0-2BD0-4219-8D76-07B46B597A27.png

B77CA5BC-A875-4B08-B955-08695F90725E.png

70092933-C51B-41BF-A24D-DA5EFFEA5AEF.png

Edited by Fauve Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1495 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.