Environmental Enhancement Project (aka EEP!) Feedback Thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 144 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

To be honest i only use 3 windlights, daylight, sunset and midnight.

Never care about the rest, i believe that there will be people who love to find the most ideal settings.

So when i downloaded the last version of Firestorm and just see the poor job of the 3 settings i use i had to go back to an older version.

Maybe in the future someone make the ideal EEP setting of those 3 windlights.

but for now its for me a crappy job they have done.

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Eduardo Minghuang said:

i had to go back to an older version.

Honestly, I feel you. But there are things we can change (like choosing to go back to a prior viewer - for awhile...), and things we cannot change (like choosing to go back to a prior viewer after they stop allowing the older viewer versions to run).  Keep in mind there are other benefits to upgrading the viewer - not just EEP. 

Yes we have some time left where the prior viewer will still work, yes my visuals were better on low graphics and settings seemingly much more user friendly and my fps were double in Windlight.  Today, Windlight viewer I get 180 fps, on EEP release I get 80 fps, and that is at a Premium Sandbox with nothing rezzed and wearing all layer clothes! 

*Regardless* of whether I or anyone is happy with EEP today, I have to admit that this, like many other things, has to be upgraded to meet equipment, resources, bottom-line, etc. into the future. And to evolve it has to start being upgraded at some point in time.  The time is now.  Two years down the road this will be old news to all, God willing.

• Haha 1

I notice there is a newly introduced bug that affects the Moon. It now appears very dim near the horizon no matter what atmospheric settings are applied.  There is an existing bug report, so I shall not raise it again, unless someone in the know recommends that I do.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-229489

1162797206_ScreenShot2020-12-12at8_38_23am.thumb.jpg.61bf80f55962e9ad6873838d3895fcf2.jpg
Attached graphic shows a full Moon at max brightness setting. You can see from the interface moon controls graphic that it should be much brighter.

Edited by Stevie Davros
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ThaRealestOne said:

I don't like the new update I can't find my custom windlight settings anymore on Firestorm

You have to import them in from your old settings. I suspect that the old settings went away when you installed the new FS -- which is why I imported mine this last couple of months.

You can probably retrieve them by going back a version in FS and then uploading using the Linden viewer and THEN changing back to FS for EEP.  I haven't installed the new FS and won't be until I have to, so I can't say for sure. Maybe someone has done that and can verify. 

We were warned  -- the folks that read the forums and the official blog posts -- many months ago.   SOME of your Windlights will likely translate to EEP fine and others may not, it all depends on the style of Windlights you like to make.   

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info
  • Like 1

I am sitting here and reading through all of this and thinking to myself that none of this may be important since we have still to my knowledge have not heard anything about the "merger" that was announced oh so many months ago.  

So maybe we should just enjoy our time here while we can and in the best manner THAT we can. 

My only other comment after reading these current comments is that I never heard anyone from Linden Lab say that EEP was a NECESSITY in order to move forward technologically.  At the beginning it was all about making assets people could sell on the Marketplace and creating complex interactive weather that could work with experiences and the like. That could still happen of course; there just needs to be a few folks who are enthusiastic about doing the work. 

2 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

My only other comment after reading these current comments is that I never heard anyone from Linden Lab say that EEP was a NECESSITY in order to move forward technologically.  At the beginning it was all about making assets people could sell on the Marketplace and creating complex interactive weather that could work with experiences and the like. That could still happen of course; there just needs to be a few folks who are enthusiastic about doing the work. 

I must say, that having made a bunch of new skies with custom cloud textures, you can achieve quite a lot with EEP that was not possible previously. The ability to switch to different cloud texture skies whilst the app is running, and have all the required files in inventory and not on your own computer is a huge improvement. I cannot speak for why they so radically changed so many of the parameters during this process, obviously people decided that it was necessary.  They should have had a transition team dealing with all the average user issues associated with the change to make it a much smoother process.

I have not even looked at day cycles yet, as I have been awaiting the much more stable implementation of all the parameters. I note (as mentioned in my earlier post today) that the Moon is currently misbehaving and appearing very dim. There is a workaround in using the Sun in lieu of the Moon and plopping a Moon graphic there...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stevie Davros said:

I have not even looked at day cycles yet, as I have been awaiting the much more stable implementation of all the parameters. 

I did a tutorial of sorts on making day cycles. I haven't used them obviously. I honestly forgot what I said but apparently (from the photos) there were issues. I do remember that I couldn't import a NIGHT from Windlight (as someone else mentioned here recently). I did finally work around that. 

Anyway if you or anyone else is interested it is here: https://chicatphilsplace.blogspot.com/2020/08/windlight-to-eep-making-day-cycle.html

• Thanks 2

So, I updated FS yesterday and have been trying to learn about this EEP stuff since I no longer have windlight... 

I don't care anything about day cycles and all that fancy garbage. I just want a good looking moon and night sky.

I managed to make a decent sky and have a good moon texture, but can't figure out how to always have the moon showing in the sky. When I apply my sky settings, it appears suck on day and I ended up setting the sun texture to moon, but it doesn't really glow.

Any help would be appreciated. 

speculars on EEP remain broken. many creators noticed their speculars look twice more intense. the problem is known since EEP introduction with first official viewer EEP-releases, multiple JIRAs created, promised to be fixed, JIRAs closed, bug is not fixed yet. now with Firestorm update it goes gridwide. have anyone noticed avatars looking like plastic now?

specular_intensity_pre-EEP.thumb.png.73ddc947bcf22e7f9205853e0ee729f3.pngspecular_intensity_EEP.thumb.png.4fde20e1c7303ceb3b80ba5a5ccdc3df.png

please submit your comment in JIRA here: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-229822

Edited by Beev Fallen
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, amberstarfield said:

So, I updated FS yesterday and have been trying to learn about this EEP stuff since I no longer have windlight... 

I don't care anything about day cycles and all that fancy garbage. I just want a good looking moon and night sky.

I managed to make a decent sky and have a good moon texture, but can't figure out how to always have the moon showing in the sky. When I apply my sky settings, it appears suck on day and I ended up setting the sun texture to moon, but it doesn't really glow.

Not you sweetie LOL. Welcome to the club.  For awhile everything on the land was BRIGHT  like noon and the sky dark black. I haven't looked at mainland skies for awhile but unless they actually fixed something it may still be the same. It boggles the mind why they made this live in its current condition.   

Join the party and roll back to the BOM FS.  The FS guys won't hate you for it -- I am pretty sure anyway. Would have liked the other features without EEP but --- you know politics.  Not their fault. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, amberstarfield said:

You can set preferences so that when the viewer app is relaunched, the previous sky settings are carried over.  The Moon is currently broken in that it appears very dim near the horizon, so any Sun or Moon graphic is best applied to the Sun.  If you make changes to your sky, you have to save it and then select that sky to be showing. If you do not select it after exiting the sky editor popup, then it will just revert to the previous default sky.  Counter intuitive I know.

10 hours ago, Beev Fallen said:

speculars on EEP remain broken. many creators noticed their speculars look twice more intense. the problem is known since EEP introduction with first official viewer EEP-releases, multiple JIRAs created, promised to be fixed, JIRAs closed, bug is not fixed yet. now with Firestorm update it goes gridwide. have anyone noticed avatars looking like plastic now?

specular_intensity_pre-EEP.thumb.png.73ddc947bcf22e7f9205853e0ee729f3.pngspecular_intensity_EEP.thumb.png.4fde20e1c7303ceb3b80ba5a5ccdc3df.png

please submit your comment in JIRA here: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-229822

Believe it or not, but it's actually much better than it used to be. There was a time when the Sun and Moon caused no shine at all, and point/projection lighting caused even a low shine object to look like shiny plastic, yes, even more so than what you are observing in the current viewers. Things improved when the Love Me Render RC was incorporated into the main viewer code late last Summer.

There are things I like about EEP, having played with it for many months now. However, I keep hoping that maybe Singularity will get another round of updates while keeping WL alive. Singularity 8193 beta is still my go-to viewer for clubs, with excellent framerates on my AMD/Radeon system that no other viewer matches.

Edited by KjartanEno
clarification

I finally got to experience playing with the EEP settings and so far I'm having a blast. My only complaint is that you can only change sky settings in 1,000 meter altitude intervals. Is there something preventing that being made customizable like the day cycle editor timeline?

It feels really limiting after how finely tuned altitude-based windlight settings could be in pre-EEP Firestorm.

• Like 1

EEP- I get it some people will spend all their time on one thing. But for the majority of people I'd venture bright day, medium day, night and a few fancy settings for photos and they're good.

But to force more screens and choices on       everyone      doesn't make sense to me. It is a complicated screen hogging mess. Turbo tax is easier.

Just nuke the moon if it is in the way, open sun and moon panel and select none  for texture for the horizon hugging cheese ball. Buh bye brie!  Catch ya later cheddar! Get outta here Gouda!

ok, I'll stop

Edited by Mari Moonbeam
clarify
  • Haha 1

so i have finally figured out how to bring my windlights into SL, which to be honest is pretty much a pain as you can only do one by one. will there be the possibility to allow to bring more windlights into SL at one time, like a bulk uploader? and the second question i have, once i got my windlight uploaded, how do i apply it to actually use it for photography, i have tried the loading and attached and all the things i can think of, which does not give me the windlight i have uploaded, ie: Satomy and battlescars .

Thank you in advance ♥

Right click on the setting in your inventory and select "Apply only to myself". Or, top menu bar/World/Environment/My Environments... and right click it from the window there.

You can get the full set of converted Firestorm Windlights on the Marketplace here: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/200828, but to convert ones you've made yourself you'll have to do it the hard way.

2 hours ago, KT Kingsley said:

Right click on the setting in your inventory and select "Apply only to myself". Or, top menu bar/World/Environment/My Environments... and right click it from the window there.

You can get the full set of converted Firestorm Windlights on the Marketplace here: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/200828, but to convert ones you've made yourself you'll have to do it the hard way.

Thank you kindly, but does that mean i cannot use any of my windlights i bought previously?

1 hour ago, monyhara said:

Thank you kindly, but does that mean i cannot use any of my windlights i bought previously?

Windlights that you previously bought can all be converted with a little patience. If you bought them in Marketplace, then the vendor may have converted them for you and be offering them in their store for sale. Anyone who has taken the time to learn how best to use EEP and who has converted customised Windlights to EEP skies is a patient person...

On 12/14/2020 at 3:23 PM, Mari Moonbeam said:

EEP- I get it some people will spend all their time on one thing. But for the majority of people I'd venture bright day, medium day, night and a few fancy settings for photos and they're good.

But to force more screens and choices on       everyone      doesn't make sense to me. It is a complicated screen hogging mess. Turbo tax is easier.

Just nuke the moon if it is in the way, open sun and moon panel and select none  for texture for the horizon hugging cheese ball. Buh bye brie!  Catch ya later cheddar! Get outta here Gouda!

ok, I'll stop

Just get new EEP skies somebody else has created. One click and you have them running...

4 hours ago, monyhara said:

so i have finally figured out how to bring my windlights into SL, which to be honest is pretty much a pain as you can only do one by one. will there be the possibility to allow to bring more windlights into SL at one time, like a bulk uploader? and the second question i have, once i got my windlight uploaded, how do i apply it to actually use it for photography, i have tried the loading and attached and all the things i can think of, which does not give me the windlight i have uploaded, ie: Satomy and battlescars .

Thank you in advance ♥

Just uploading the Windlight may not produce the results that you want. EEP has altered the way a lot of the parameters for atmosphere and sun interact with each other. With some fiddling I have managed to get most of mine to transfer across, but only with a lot of effort. Some I have just not been able to reproduce successfully in EEP at all.

So far i am liking the sharable asset aspect of it and  the   personal lighting controls.  i haven't seen anyone bring it up yet. But the clouds are sort of milky and lack any real fine tuning color wise or visibility.   I'd feel making the clouds and night sky more attractive /customizable would add alot of value to EEP.  Not sure what all that would entail. just would be worth the effort.

I"m having fun so far with playing around with different textures for sun and effects , 

https://my.secondlife.com/rhonin.nissondorf/snapshots/5fdaba01e12d3876c1760d64

i made a night sky  but i had to use the sun as a moon for me to get any good results

https://my.secondlife.com/rhonin.nissondorf/snapshots/5fdab9e73134493d6a2e2694

side affect of my golden dawn eep asset

https://my.secondlife.com/rhonin.nissondorf/snapshots/5fdac00f81764848987be70b?version=original

Edited by rhonin Nissondorf

3 hours ago, rhonin Nissondorf said:

So far i am liking the sharable asset aspect of it and  the   personal lighting controls.  i haven't seen anyone bring it up yet. But the clouds are sort of milky and lack any real fine tuning color wise or visibility.   I'd feel making the clouds and night sky more attractive /customizable would add alot of value to EEP.  Not sure what all that would entail. just would be worth the effort.

I"m having fun so far with playing around with different textures for sun and effects , 

https://my.secondlife.com/rhonin.nissondorf/snapshots/5fdaba01e12d3876c1760d64

i made a night sky  but i had to use the sun as a moon for me to get any good results

https://my.secondlife.com/rhonin.nissondorf/snapshots/5fdab9e73134493d6a2e2694

side affect of my golden dawn eep asset

https://my.secondlife.com/rhonin.nissondorf/snapshots/5fdac00f81764848987be70b?version=original

Cool replacement sun.  There is a bug with the moon at present and you figured out the best way to work around the issue of it being too dim.  The rainbow shows upside down as well, and this is also a known bug they have not gotten around to fixing yet.

It is possible to get good cloud effects, but it takes a lot of work. Check out some of my results here:

Edited by Stevie Davros
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Lindens
23 hours ago, monyhara said:

Thank you in advance ♥

If you are importing multiple Windlights there is a trick you can do.

1. Create a new sky (or water, or day cycle. Whichever sort of setting that you are importing).
  2. Double click it in your inventory to open the editor
  3. Use the Import button to bring in the first windlight on your list
  4. Use the "Save As" option on the save button. 
  5. Click the Import button again to get the second one, and repeat the process.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 144 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.