Environmental Enhancement Project (aka EEP!) Feedback Thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 106 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Good morning everyone!  I’d like to start our first thread for Environmental Enhancement Project aka EEP!  EEP is a major enhancement to the legacy Windlight environments in Second Life, introducing a brand new inventory object for defining the environmental settings. EEP brings: 

• Shareable environmental objects that you can keep in your inventory.
  • Parcel level control of environments.
  • Up to four different sky layers that may be set independently.
  • More options for customization.
  • And much, much more

For those who attend the Content Creation User Group, you’ve been hearing and seeing teasers around EEP for a while.  

ca48a04867cec977736a505baecde07d.gif

This Test Viewer is similar to Windlight, which means that you have to own land or have parcel ownership rights.  Because of this, we have made a limited number of testing parcels available on Aditi at secondlife://Aditi/secondlife/EEPTesting/128/128/23.  If you are interested in testing EEP, please claim 1 parcel at the above location.  You will need to be running the EEP Viewer in order to buy a parcel.  These parcels are for EEP testing only and once they have been claimed, we are full.  As this is Aditi, our Test Grid, if parcels are not being utilized, they will be reclaimed.  If you have a parcel and are done testing, please abandon it so others can take a turn.

You do not need to have a parcel to experience EEP.  If you fly around EEPTesting and pause in different owned parcels, you’ll see what people have been creating.  There are already some amazing skies being created and we’re excited to see what you do with this!

We are taking the steps to get an EEP Project Viewer to Agni as soon as possible and will let you know when you can test on Agni.  Until then, have fun exploring the EEPTesting region!

Download the Viewer here
For more technical input, please file a Jira

Edited by Alexa Linden
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Alexa Linden said:

Are you using the EEP viewer?

No and I wondered about that. I was going to try buying via that viewer soon. But the announcement didn't state that the EEP viewer was needed for buying so I decided to post here :D.   Maybe adding that to the announcement would be beneficial. 

I understood that you needed the EEP viewer to TEST, just seemed a bit odd that you would need it to BUY.  Thanks. If she still has issues with the EEP viewer I will come back and post.   

• Lindens
2 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

No and I wondered about that. I was going to try buying via that viewer soon. But the announcement didn't state that the EEP viewer was needed for buying so I decided to post here :D.   Maybe adding that to the announcement would be beneficial. 

I understood that you needed the EEP viewer to TEST, just seemed a bit odd that you would need it to BUY.  Thanks. If she still has issues with the EEP viewer I will come back and post.   

There is an issue in the release viewer that prevented the purchase of land on the beta grid (Aditi.) The EEP viewer addresses this issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Lindens
1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

I've edited the post to call that out :)

Edited by Alexa Linden
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like it with the small UI based tests I've done so far.

I was hoping or the ability to add three moons to the sky (counter-earth), but as the sun can be repurposed as a moon too, there is a workaround, one single moon moon and the sn adding two more as a joined texture.

Is there a script interface to all of this? Maybe settable on an experience key.

• Like 4

• Lindens
13 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Script support allegedly comes after EEP is merged into the release viewer. So summer 2019, maybe?

Scripts will be in prior to EEP going RC.

There are a number of script functions already in EEP but the big ones are still under development. 

Right now these are what is available:

• For Parcels
    • llGetSunDirection()
    • llGetSunRotation() 
    • llGetMoonDirection()
    • llGetMoonRotation()
    • llGetDayLength()
    • llGetDayOffset()
  • For Regions
    • llGetRegionSunDirection()
    • llGetRegionSunRotation()
    • llGetRegionMoonDirection()
    • llGetRegionMoonRotation()
    • llGetRegionDayLength()
    • llGetRegionDayOffset()

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I hope it’s not just via Experience!!

Because it changes a guests view anything that is scripted must carry permission.

They would need to accept the script's permission to override their chosen windlight each time they enter a parcel, or it could be tied to an experience key so the permission sticks.

Consider that with scripted control one could cause RL harm by creating a fast flicker  - something to trigger an epileptic attack/headache.

Permissions on scripts stop such griefing.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

Consider that with scripted control one could cause RL harm by creating a fast flicker  - something to trigger an epileptic attack/headache.

To be fair, if you're a risk of having epileptic seizures you probably shouldn't be playing any kind of video games.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

Because it changes a guests view anything that is scripted must carry permission.

They would need to accept the script's permission to override their chosen windlight each time they enter a parcel, or it could be tied to an experience key so the permission sticks.

Permissions on scripts stop such griefing.

I only want to create a “moving sky”, moving at the rate I want, with multiple texture layers.

• Like 2

So many wants.

I see a little partially broken legacy content might be possible, although I have not yet tested this, in lights/birds/so on that turns on or off depending on light.

At the parcel level that might be messed up, also I am not sure how it will handle the sun and moon both being present, although I htink it's mainly done on sun angle, so should be ok.

I don't think automatic lights/bird noises are a reason to change a thing though. They still work somewhat, and EEP has far more value, and all those things can be rewritten to account for parcel sun direction.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

I see a little partially broken legacy content might be possible, although I have not yet tested this, in lights/birds/so on that turns on or off depending on light.

Seein' as how LL have retained the same name for the llGetSunDirection function I'll be betting that functionally it'll work exactly the same as before. I'm pretty sure I've seen comments from LL staff that what will change is that it'll actually return an accurate result. I most certainly have seen plenty of comment from users (and have personal experience of) the fact that, as it stands, it's pretty hopeless except for things that don't require any great deal of accuracy, like turning lights and bird sounds on and off.

Edited by KT Kingsley
  • Like 2

• Lindens
1 hour ago, KT Kingsley said:

Seein' as how LL have retained the same name for the llGetSunDirection function I'll be betting that functionally it'll work exactly the same as before. I'm pretty sure I've seen comments from LL staff that what will change is that it'll actually return an accurate result. I most certainly have seen plenty of comment from users (and have personal experience of) the fact that, as it stands, it's pretty hopeless except for things that don't require any great deal of accuracy, like turning lights and bird sounds on and off.

llGetSunDirection will return a unit vector pointing at the position of the parcel's sun as defined by the environment setting.  (llGetRegionSunDirection does the same for the entire region) 

llGetSunRotation will return the same information in the form of a rotation ( llGetSunRotation() * UNIT_DUE_EAST should give the same result as llGetSunDirection() ) 

A historical note about llGetSunDirection:

It used to return a vector to what was known as the "Estate sun". This position was maintained by the region and had no correlation with any windlight sun positioning.  The estate sun would orbit once every four hours (a "Linden Day"), adjusting the plane of it's orbit slightly over the course of 11 Linden Days making a Linden Year.

• Thanks 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 106 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.