SSP?

Garnet Psaltery

I've just finished my first full loop of the fully operational Newbrooke/Chalet railway.

I started at SSPSome Pig railway station and travelled a full anti-clockwise loop, arriving back at SSPSome Pig station in a time of 27 minutes and 19 seconds.

I used a freebie Infinity Freight Quarry Train (v1.1) at full speed! 😜

1708941991_WestCoastMosaicv210Jun2022.thumb.png.8a6b3e340197d9ccaf873d3bcab89d34.png

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Saturday 11th June 2022

I repeated the Newbrooke/Chalet railway loop journey today.  But this time, I took along a scripted mileometer and a region counter.

I learned that the total length of the railway loop measures exactly 11.3 miles (18.199 km) long and travels through 77 sim regions. 😜

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, diamond Marchant said:

Map please.

In railroading news, I engineered the Infinity Log Train (FREE at shoppy hoppy) over all the Newbrooke track. That is 2 loaded log cars... the railbed is solid! Get your log train here http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Gilded/96/224/54

Just an FYI so people don't waste time clicking on the SLURL: The Shop and Hop event doesn't open to the public until tomorrow. If you want in today, you must first join the SL Birthday Group. 

Source: 

• Thanks 3

The inworld map has finally updated (or been fixed?) to fully reveal the newest nine LH regions, with their railway line and coasts. Islands have been created along the coastline too, containing more piers and Houseboats.

1729276554_NewbrookeChaletsWestCoast16Jun2022.thumb.png.3d642e1a71484d8dd257ec09b8116ea5.png

I find it intriguing that the SSPGrey Ghost region (the one will the hill I've previously mentioned) has no Houseboat development around its coastine. And that a large area of land there has been allocated to a hill, rather than several new house parcels.

Theory: Could it be that a railway link (bridge or tunnel) from Newbrooke to Sakura may use the land, hill and coastline found in SSPGrey Ghost?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Theory: Could it be that a railway link (bridge or tunnel) from Newbrooke to Sakura may use the land, hill and coastline found in SSPGrey Ghost?

To be clear: there are only 2 regions along the whole stretch of Newbrooke's finished western coastline that do not have a big fringe of houseboats/piers already in place offshore:  SSPGrey Ghost  and SSPRum Tug.  Rum Tug is as far south as that Newbrooke/chalet coast can go, and has very little land, just part of the south shore of the Tritons Daughters pond.  So, currently, SSPGrey Ghost does seem like the only possibility for a rail link to Sakura.

But then, earlier it seemed obvious that LL was running a double set of tracks from Thimble Pond Farms south down the coast so that one set of tracks could peel off and go to Sakura, but instead they just merge back into one track down in SSPCrosseyed Bear.  So sometimes the obvious thing just doesn't happen. 

I think whoever said that we would have to see how far east Sakura eventually reaches before thinking about rail had it right.

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/16/2022 at 12:37 AM, diamond Marchant said:

In railroading news, I engineered the Infinity Log Train (FREE at shoppy hoppy) over all the Newbrooke track. That is 2 loaded log cars... the railbed is solid! Get your log train here http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Gilded/96/224/54

I've been mostly out of touch with things, only now realised that the Chalet line is now part of a pretty big loop that runs around Newbrooke. And the Infinity brand avoids so many of the hassles that arise from the ancient SLRR scripts..

• Like 5

8 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Only @Abnor Mole knows for sure, but I do not recall him changing track once laid down. This Newbrooke track is final. No Sakura connection.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Moles

Leave is alone and let us work without constantly feeling like we have someone looking over shoulder every minute. No one enjoys feeling like they are working under a microscope. You can "report" on it when it's finished. Until it is, nothing is final anyway. 

Edited by Abnor Mole
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 3

Aw, Abnor, please don't think of our watching as stalking you.  Generally, we are just admiring your work, and we so enjoying discovering it.  Like this current incarnation of SSPGrey Ghost!  It's going to be beautiful!  I love these "destination" regions.

gg_001.jpg.2018d9adbc22aef932f9b579906273f1.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Abnor Mole said:

Leave is alone and let us work without constantly feeling like we have someone looking over shoulder every minute. No one enjoys feeling like they are working under a microscope. You can "report" on it when it's finished. Until it is, nothing is final anyway. 

There are aspects of the Bellisaria lines which fit uneasily with the old SLRR scripts, and I can't see anything different you could have done. My railway knowledge and experience is mostly British, that RL source for a lot of the visible signalling hardware. It's hard to scale from RL to SL, but some of the double-track sections around Newbrooke feel unduly long. They're not mere passing loops.

If we saw authentic train operation, with block sections and electric token working, I expect the screaming would never stop.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

But it's like watching a pastry chef making a gorgeous cake that we really want to eat. To us it feels like the process is a mystery and we really want to peek in and see how it's going. I can understand though that continually opening the oven or asking "Is it done yet?" must be exhausting for you. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, arabellajones said:

There are aspects of the Bellisaria lines which fit uneasily with the old SLRR scripts, and I can't see anything different you could have done. My railway knowledge and experience is mostly British, that RL source for a lot of the visible signalling hardware. It's hard to scale from RL to SL, but some of the double-track sections around Newbrooke feel unduly long. They're not mere passing loops.

If we saw authentic train operation, with block sections and electric token working, I expect the screaming would never stop.

If we saw authentic [British] train operation nothing would be moving due to staff shortages even before the impending national strike. [Our experience today.]

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moles

I think in the rush to be first to spot things people have gotten to the point many of us feel we're having things posted for public consumption (and the accompanying scrutiny/conjecture that naturally follows) while we are still knee deep in the creative process to make things unique and special and experiment with different idea and possibilities. 

If you're a creator at all you can imagine how that might be stifling to your creative process. It can make you afraid to try something different or new. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Abnor Mole said:

many of us feel we're having things posted for public consumption (and the accompanying scrutiny/conjecture that naturally follows) while we are still knee deep in the creative process to make things unique and special and experiment with different idea and possibilities. 

If you're a creator at all you can imagine how that might be stifling to your creative process. It can make you afraid to try something different or new. 

Oh!  This is good to know, thank you.  Over the years I somehow gathered the impression that things like Belli roads, waterways, terraforming were all completely determined before a theme moves from the SSP area to Belli.  But it makes sense that, for the live-built areas, that would not be the case.  As you say, that does open the door to more creative builds.  Would never want to do anything to stifle that.

/me puts Flycan in his kennel.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

I think in the rush to be first to spot things people have gotten to the point many of us feel we're having things posted for public consumption (and the accompanying scrutiny/conjecture that naturally follows) while we are still knee deep in the creative process to make things unique and special and experiment with different idea and possibilities. 

Moles are just so...  so...  sooooooooo adorable!  It has to be fandom, fascination and rampant, uncontrollable curiosity...  as well as interest in what y'all are doing, of course.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2