Wearing things by accident

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2474 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know we all do this from time to time -- drag things onto ourselves by accident. But the last week it has been beyond bad with this and today several times I rezzed something 10 to 30 meters away from my avatar and ended up wearing it (one was a house - not handy; glad I am not new).

So my question is -- is this happening to other people too? My other though would be that my mouse is dying and that is certainly a possibility as it is old and used HARD :D.

Thanks.

I know we all do this from time to time -- drag things onto ourselves by accident. But the last week it has been beyond bad with this and today several times I rezzed something 10 to 30 meters away from my avatar and ended up wearing it (one was a house - not handy; glad I am not new).

So my question is -- is this happening to other people too? My other though would be that my mouse is dying and that is certainly a possibility as it is old and used HARD :D.

Thanks.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

My other though would be that my mouse is dying

Funny you should say that, I thought my mouse was playing up too this week.  I was moving our complete store into its new building and wore so much furniture it was ridiculous

I thought i was just tired, the weather and laptop were hot and I was annoyed at having to do it all myself.  A couple of times I looked back to my avi to find her without her clothes and mesh body but wearing a bed :/

Does not happen to me, because I don't drag things on my avatar.

Years ago I learnt that dragging is unreliable in SL so I never do it - ok - I do it for rezzing stuff. :) Even that fails from time to time. Since I move my camera and aim it on the rezzing spot I minimize failures here and dont wear it by accident.

As long as it's a single item, wearing it is no problem -  but careful when dragging folders and getting a hickup at the wrong spot on the screen. :D 

Edited by Nova Convair

I don't know how this was even possible,but when I first learned how to move stuff..I somehow linked my hair to my house..

I haven't been able to do it since and not even sure how I did it then..

Maybe it was that I was going to set it down and it stuck to my head?

I just know there was a house stuck to my head at one point in my SL life..:$

• Like 2

I never drag to wear anything and when dragging from inventory to ground to rez I always look at the icon I get before releasing.

I do this because anything worn by others is one big "drop your transferable stuff here" hitbox especially with invisible prims.

I've filed requests for a confirmation dialog to appear when dragging stuff on top of other avatars or their attachments years ago, but no one has deemed this a big enough problem to give us said feature yet.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-3867

http://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-10984

I never drag to wear anything and when dragging from inventory to ground to rez I always look at the icon I get before releasing.

I do this because anything worn by others is one big "drop your transferable stuff here" hitbox especially with invisible prims.

I've filed requests for a confirmation dialog to appear when dragging stuff on top of other avatars or their attachments years ago, but no one has deemed this a big enough problem to give us said feature yet.

13 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Thanks. I am not new :D.  

The OP was about things from inventory that I am dragging WAY in the other direction from my avatar appearing ON my avatar. Nothing to do with clothes except of course if a garment you are wearing is rigged to the right hand then you are naked. 

So MY post was about UNEXPECTED BEHAVIOR, but I realize that you may not have been responding to my post. Just wanted to put that in here to remind folks :D.

• Like 1

The last thing I accidentally wore, a couple weeks ago, while trying to rez was a solar garden turtle.  I still don't know how I managed, because I know I was rezzing it. In fact, I was rezzing it on top of a building, while I was on the ground about 25m away, lol. 

Didn't even notice I was wearing it at first, juse kept waiting for it to rez on the roof. When it didn't, I waited a couple minutes, and tried to rez another one. That one rezzed fine, then I reset my cam view away from the roof (I cam in when I rez stuff away from me, it's easier) and noticed I had a turtle on my hand. 

Wouldn't be the first time...definitely won't be the last, lol.  Gotta love those lil quirks, eh? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2017 at 10:58 PM, Chic Aeon said:

Thanks.

Yes. Happens to me randomly. I'll rez something far away and end up wearing it. Its not your mouse, its probably a glitch in SL that will never be fixed.  

On 8/11/2017 at 10:58 PM, Chic Aeon said:

Thanks.

ROFL!! Okay, I know I'm late to this but .. since your initial post appeared TWICE, and that usually happens only if you click twice on the Submit button .. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that your mouse is double-clicking. Of course another possible solution is an internet glitch that causes the data packet to be duplicated, both of which are accepted and enacted. In any case, I started this reply before reading the rest of the posts, so I'll do that now.

OMFG!! Please everyone that has posted here, just assume I gave you all LOL Reactions. I literally have tears running down my cheeks .. mainly cuz I've done stuff like that too! If memory serves, double-clicking an object can also cause you to wear it. Also with some mesh and complicated geometry wearable accessories, the actual "collision space" can be quite a bit larger than what you think. But whatever the real reason .. to me .. this is one of those things that make Second Life so absolutely PRECIOUS!

I mean, seriously, who cannot laugh at having worn a house, or an animal? Who cannot laugh at derezzing the skybox you're standing in? Who cannot laugh at accidentally returning an entire Sim's worth of stuff with one click? Well .. I mean laugh AFTER you've thrown your coffee mug across the room anyway. *blush*

Just sayin'...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2474 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.