So what changed in the Terms of Service?

1 minute ago, Vivienne Schell said:

Everything is ARable. Even drowning in Linden Water. You could AR Governor Linden for that.

Speaking of linden water.  The entire Blake is composed of moderate sims.    So, I'm not allowed to go sailing any more in SL?

• Confused 3

Just now, Madi Melodious said:

Speaking of linden water.  The entire Blake is composed of moderate sims.    So, I'm not allowed to go sailing any more in SL?

You're allowed in Moderate regions but be aware of naked sailors.

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

1 minute ago, Madi Melodious said:

Why can't you go sailing in moderate sims?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Madi Melodious said:

Youe even are allowed to drown there.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Vivienne Schell said:

When I joined SL there were plenty of skins which had undies painted on them. I remember that I almost despaired when I tried to remove them....that was when I was an innocent virgin "girl next door", tho not underaged. Linden Lab probably digged these old nostalgic assets out of some old rotten forgotten server and thought "Yay!". Or not. Fact is that this is exactly what they mean by "baked on the skin".

I remember that!!  when I joined, there was some freebie boxes at Orientation/Newbie island one of them had an "ok" starter skin that had bra and panties baked right on.  I think it was to ease some newcomers into the world by making sure they couldn't accidentally be completely naked when they traveled. 

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

No.  It's all one piece.  There's also the option to smooth any breast cleavage for BoM layers all via the HUD 

No, the Lara/LaraX line has a separate BOM Helper layer to smooth things out that is worn on an as need.  it has its own HUD for deciding what to do: chest, waits, toes.

tl;dr the big wall of text by careful snipping.

1 hour ago, frankyjake2333 said:

Good Evening.

While I’m not a lawyer I do have a good deal of knowledge working with the law.

<snip>

Now for the standard disclaimer, I am not a lawyer so what I’m expressing is my own options. 

<son of snip>

To Linden Lab, if you are reading this, I would advise you to reconsider the new policies you have put in place.  

<the return of snip>

As an outside observer, I don’t see this as a battle you can win without causing undue harm.  

<the snip strikes back>

Twice you say you're not a lawyer but your have a good deal of knowledge working with law.  that and <checks current stock market> 5 dollars will get you a cuppa coffee.

Linden Lab is not a new player in town. They have many years of corporate experience and in the fairly recent past diving deeply into banking regulations.  I would place very comfortable even odds that they have on staff a team of very talented lawyers.  I can double down on that bet and be very comfortable in stating that the team of lawyers has gone over the proposed changed, advised the board accordingly and that the board is taking whatever advice the lawyers have dispensed very seriously. 

I'm sure Linden Lab has put a lot of consideration into the new policies (as sketchy as they may be in some areas of interpretation by arm chair commentators on the forums) before going forward.  I expect maybe some of this testing waters and getting community feedback before anything is fully nailed down. speculation, yes.

As an outside observer you have chosen to weigh into the fray, in a forum not an official communication channel for the customers to the company, all in support of your friend.  I commend that... provisionally.  Standing up for your friend, if this is what she wanted, or at least is not wholly opposed to you  coming in and climbing up on a soapbox.  But even if it's White Knighting, I will concede that maybe the heart is in the right place, but as an outsider, there are a lot of nuance and details which you just can't know and can't properly comment on.  But.....uhm.. yeah.... Go You!

• Like 10
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

we are looking on this from an European or American point of view.

In Asia, i.e. Japan youth got a very different aspect. Think about Mangas, Hikikomori, Kawaii... This is quite common. Not less Japanese people will not grown up, like to stay as a child. This got not automatically an sexual aspect.

A lot of Asian regions may also ran into issues.

Edited by Juliett Beaumont
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

27 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I thought swearing was ARable in a general sim

What do you mean by swearing?

Do you mean taking the name of some Deity in vain?

Do you mean swearing an oath?

Do you mean using language that is generally considered obscene?

Do you mean using mild "curse words"?

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Anna Salyx said:

No, the Lara/LaraX line has a separate BOM Helper layer to smooth things out that is worn on an as need.  it has its own HUD for deciding what to do: chest, waits, toes.

She was asking about Reborn which is all one piece with smoothable (is that a word?) areas via the HUD.  

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

Still wouldn't be a problem, IMO.  As long as I don't advertise, a few forum members and I could rent a moderate parcel, toss up a 4 bedroom skybox, restrict access and visibility and bring home paying customers.  

I'm in.

• Haha 9

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

She was asking about Reborn which is all one piece with smoothable (is that a word?) areas via the HUD.  

oh, sorry, I thought I saw a M.Lara reference in there and got confused.  after 112 pages in 2 days my brain is kinda swiss-cheesey

• Like 3

Just now, Anna Salyx said:

oh, sorry, I thought I saw a M.Lara reference in there and got confused.  after 112 pages in 2 days my brain is kinda swiss-cheesey

No problem.  It's one of the things I do love about Reborn.  I wear BoM undies, leggings, tanks and such so not having to add another layer to the body makes it simpler.  

39 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I thought swearing was ARable in a general sim

Probably, if you took the maturity rating to the extreme.

It does say "General regions are areas where you should feel free to say and do things that you would be comfortable saying and doing in front of your grandmother or a grade school class. "

Depending on the swear word, I'd possibly say it in front of my grandmother, but only in front of higher age grade school classes, not the younger ones.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Depending on the swear word, I'd possibly say it in front of my grandmother, but only in front of higher age grade school classes, not the younger ones.

It was my grandmother who taught me most of my favourite swear words.

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

4 hours ago, Vivienne Schell said:

However, according to grid survey there is a constant trend, A rated sims increase, M rated sims decrease, G rated stay more or less stable (due to the fact that they are almost exclusively residing on mainland). Why? Who knows? And who cares? Fact is that people set sims to A and these are mature enough to decide on that.

3 hours ago, Angelina Sinclair said:

I feel like with these changes we might see more sim owners change their regions to A rating if it means keep child avas out of their otherwise mature sim. It doesn't have to be sex sims but could be dark RP sims where there is horror, gore and the like. You wouldn't want kids around that and if a child ava did show up their presence alone can ruin the vibe or make people feel awkward.

This could go either way. There are definitely businesses on Adult-rated land that will leave for G or M now because their Adult stuff (if any) can't justify inconveniencing some child avatars who never even realized they'd visited an Adult region. Many Adult-rated locations have little or no "adult" content nor activities, and until now, that didn't matter much. Now it might because more residents will exclude Adult from Search and content maturity preferences. That was something merchants feared back in 2007 but it turned out not to be a big deal (until now).

And on the other hand, yeah, some will now choose to site on an Adult region to avoid child avatars.

Point is, this isn't a mere policy clarification, it's a real change in the definition of Adult land, and will cause disruption. Nothing like 2007, but disruption nonetheless.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

This could go either way. There are definitely businesses on Adult-rated land that will leave for G or M now because their Adult stuff (if any) can't justify inconveniencing some child avatars who never even realized they'd visited an Adult region. Many Adult-rated locations have little or no "adult" content nor activities, and until now, that didn't matter much. Now it might because more residents will exclude Adult from Search and content maturity preferences. That was something merchants feared back in 2007 but it turned out not to be a big deal (until now).

And on the other hand, yeah, some will now choose to site on an Adult region to avoid child avatars.

Point is, this isn't a mere policy clarification, it's a real change in the definition of Adult land, and will cause disruption. Nothing like 2007, but disruption nonetheless.

I do not think that it causes disruption. Do not overestimate the impact of child play. There are not so many people running child avatars, and the ToS changes basically do not change anything for the est. 95 percent users who never did and never will use a child avatar or actively interact with one. I doubt that more than a "handful" of child players ever really "resided" on A rated sims, and if, these can easily move to M rated sims, without much fuss, or change their sim to M if they really own one. The entire thing will pass almost unnoticed by the vast majority of users, no need to worry.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 9:26 PM, Coffee Pancake said:

The 2007 AP outrage lead to the clamp down and exile of adult activities and creation of Zindra.

We're in the same cycle, lets see if this ends with just new rules for child avatars. Or are there more shoes to drop.

(Still playing catch-up, sorry!)

Oh, I’m pretty sure more will come. I fear that the next couple of months are going to be rocky for SL and LL. 

(By the way, my new blogpost about all this is now up; the address is in my signature line. I will try to keep it updated as the situation develops. I have quoted some of your—you all, not just Coffee’s—arguments here.)

Edited by Vanity Fair
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Madi Melodious said:

I guess it depends on whether or not you can expect to see nudity on those sims. If the answer is yes, then change avatars before sailing as you would if you were going to a Moderate region store that sells adult things. Maybe some sailors could provide you with information about whether nudity is common on the Blake Sea.

3 minutes ago, Vanity Fair said:

(Still playing catch-up, sorry!)

Oh, I’m pretty sure more will come. I fear that the next couple of months are going to be rocky for SL and LL. 

(By the way, my new blogpost about all this is now up; the address is in my signature line. I will try to keep it updated as the situation develops. I have quoted some of your arguments here.)

What signature line is that?  I don't see one but I would like to read it.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

I guess it depends on whether or not you can expect to see nudity on those sims. If the answer is yes, then change avatars before sailing as you would if you were going to a Moderate region store that sells adult things. Maybe some sailors could provide you with information about whether nudity is common on the Blake Sea.

I've been sailing in the Blake for over 10 years, and I have seen a few things but its very rare.   An, no I'm not going to change my avatar to enjoy one of the things I've been doing in SL for 10 years.   If I encounter nudity or sex I will be filing the AR report.

Edited by Madi Melodious
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

No, they did not.  I'm sure LL.consulted their actual lawyers, and not just someone who "knows a little about the law", when fashioning their ToS.  No one has any expectations that SL will even be here tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure with these blanket rules they actually didn't need to consult their lawyers.