Thunes to acquire payments platform Tilia LLC

59 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

ETA: Of course they're "buying" but probably won't use much of the Tilia software after any conversion period. Unless somehow, Thune has zero US payment gateways (which makes little sense). I have to assume Thune had the better software and will "win", except any interface to SL, etc.

I think you assume wrong here.  The attraction of Tilia was they are already licensed as a money transmitter in 48 US states and territories as quoted from the Thune announcement, and already have agreements with the major credit card companies.  (Not sure why only 48 states, but they are the currency experts.) 

The only US involvement from Thune before this were agreements and partnerships for handling transactions to some foreign countries.  For example Palpal and M-PESA uses Thune for transactions to some African nations that are not served by Paypal or Skrill, or in countries where bank accounts or credit cards are not common.  The reason Thune is acquiring Tilia is to start a presence in the USA.  They had no direct presence before, but only US business customer partnerships paying for their services.

To accelerate its growth in the United States and its presence in the fast-expanding online gaming market, Thunes, a global cross-border payments company, is proud to announce that it signed a definitive agreement to acquire Tilia LLC, an all-in-one payments platform. Tilia is licensed in 48 U.S. states and territories and offers payment solutions (acceptance and pay-outs) for online games, virtual worlds, creator economies, and in-app purchases.

Upon closing of the transaction, which is subject to regulatory approvals, Thunes' bespoke global network to accept and pay in real-time through four billion bank accounts, three billion digital wallets and 550 Alternative Payment Methods (APMs) will become available to merchants across the United States, including current Tilia customers. Using Tilia's technology, Thunes will be able to offer Visa, MasterCard, American Express, JCB and UnionPay acceptance to Thunes' customers.

https://www.prnewswire.com/apac/news-releases/thunes-announces-agreement-to-acquire-tilia-llc-302124379.html

Their announcement is all about what will be, not what is today, in the USA.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

I think you assume wrong here.  The attraction of Tilia was they are already licensed as a money transmitter in 48 US states and territories as quoted from the Thune announcement, and already have agreements with the major credit card companies.  (Not sure why only 48 states, but they are the currency experts.) 

The only US involvement from Thune before this were agreements and partnerships for handling transactions to some foreign countries.  For example Palpal and M-PESA uses Thune for transactions to some African nations that are not served by Paypal or Skrill, or in countries where bank accounts or credit cards are not common.  The reason Thune is acquiring Tilia is to start a presence in the USA.  They had no direct presence before, but only US business customer partnerships paying for their services.

https://www.prnewswire.com/apac/news-releases/thunes-announces-agreement-to-acquire-tilia-llc-302124379.html

Good catch. 
I was thrown off by the fact Thune's website listed PayPal and a couple others that I consider "US services", although I had read the bit about "48 US" etc. too!

• Haha 1

They list a some of their biggest customers on the Thune website (below).  It will be interesting how they will handle Paypal for incoming payments from SL business owners, since Thune has the same functions as Paypal.  If I still want to use Paypal as my "bank" account, do I still pay their high fees and have to wait 5 days for my money to be available?  

With a Paypal wallet, it looks like Process Transfers could be in minutes, not days.  But at what fee cost?

3843ccd0ee079311bac5f841a784f8d6.png

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

They list a some of their biggest customers on the Thune website (below).  It will be interesting how they will handle Paypal for incoming payments from SL business owners, since Thune has the same functions as Paypal.  If I still want to use Paypal as my "bank" account, do I still pay their high fees and have to wait 5 days for my money to be available?  

With a Paypal wallet, it looks like Process Transfers could be in minutes, not days.  But at what fee cost?

3843ccd0ee079311bac5f841a784f8d6.png

I'm looking forward to buying L$ with PayPal.

9 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

That's where the Adult Content comes in!

People love their Phones.

People love Adult stuff.

Winner winner chicken dinner!

See, the REAL problem with the whole "LL MobileLife Fail Viewer will bring in a VAST untapped new market and make SL GREAT AGAIN!" Cargo Cult, is that it ignores the reality of SL, and of typical mobile gaming.

Lets take some not untypical SL "gameplay".

Log in, spend 15 mins trying to get into a new shopping event, spend an hour and 45 mins browsing the stalls,  spend an hour unpacking your purchases and stuffing them into your organised folder tree, spend 30 mins deciding what new stuff to wear, spend 30 mins teleporting around looking for people, spend 2 hours at a DJ set, spent an hour playing greedy.

You spent 7 hours in SL that day.

Now let's look at a typical mobile gamer  "gameplay".

Arrive at bus stop, take whyPhone out of pocket, play for 5 mins, get on bus, play for 20 mins, get off buss, walk into workplace, spend day at work, walk to buss stop, spend 5 mins on whyPhone, get on bus, spend 20 mins on whyPhone, walk to home, do food n stuff, ( optional ) USE A REAL PC to play REAL games.

You spent 50 mins in SL that day. All of it in small chunks, spur of the moment stuff. To a mobile only gamer, SL is TOO slow, and too expensive, and too DULL. They took their phone out of their pocket because they want 5-25 mins of INSTANT fun, RIGHT NOW.

Not 4 hours of preparatory work, before doing "fun".

The only REAL market for the MobileLife Fail Viewer is basically EXISTING SecondLiers who want to check their IM's on the buss home to/from work, or during their lunch break.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I'm looking forward to buying L$ with PayPal.

You already can, and could do so for years. No need for Fake Money Crypto-Crap Enablers.

You just need a "verified" paypal account, that is, one directly connected to a bank account, at an actual bank.

• Thanks 6

4 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

The only REAL market for the MobileLife Fail Viewer is basically EXISTING SecondLiers who want to check their IM's on the buss home to/from work, or during their lunch break.

This. This is it right here. I don't care about some graphical interface that lets me play a terrible version of the game on my phone, I only care about access to my messages and being able to DM people when I'm not on my computer. SL struggles on my high end desktop so how would a mobile phone ever be able to have a worthwhile version of the game? It makes no sense to waste so many resources on something literally nobody asked for when they could have made a simple messenger app which pretty much is what the general public has wanted for years.

• Like 3

I have a $25 Android 4G phone, rated the worst performer still for sale.  I expect it won't handle SL graphics all that well.  They are popular, since the government gives them away.  Fortunately the people that get them also have no money.

5 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

and most will possibly blindly accept the app access to photo's, messages, cam, mic, and not as least ; contacts

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Mine is, I'll have to try it. Thanks!

I'm using Paypal since 2007 for my L$ and membership fees payments. It works flawless.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, NeoBokrug Elytis said:
5 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

image.png.243e6d6b2fbf5d18b0a8c5c8e80aefd4.png

Isn't it time for a little honesty around here?

We're not blind.

Expand  

My observations aren't really related to the current Thunes acquisition.

What site is Coffee quoting you from above? It does not appear you posted it on these Forums.

Anyway, back to the topic: one benefit of LL selling Tilia is, LL can focus on their core business of Second Life without managing Tilia, too.

It will be interesting to see the logical gymnastics used to dispute my statement above.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, NeoBokrug Elytis said:

My observations aren't really related to the current Thunes acquisition.

I just have to grab this from BlueSky because text search is a thing and Invision doesn't seem to embed bsky:

NeoBokrug Elytis
@the-wastelands.org

I'm calling it now; something is wrong with the SL Economy.

The LindeX is at a crawl and has been slowing down for a while now.

It does not help that there's been LindeX operational issues, as well as Marketplace Issues, and other news...

Something is wonk, and this isn't good for #SecondLife #SL

Apr 24, 2024 at 7:52 PM

To the extent they're about Tilia tomfoolery, we can't really be sure of that, can we?

I mean, Marketplace being more b0rked than usual is challenging to detect, but Tilia delay is pretty objectively quantifiable. And conceivably someone could benefit from "special timing" of transactions until this deal closes.

Or not. Hanlon's Razor, eh wot?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Anyway, back to the topic: one benefit of LL selling Tilia is, LL can focus on their core business of Second Life without managing Tilia, too.

It will be interesting to see the logical gymnastics used to dispute my statement above.

Yeah… until they need to find/build a replacement, or expend time and effort to minimize the Thunes Tax that will now skim from the SL economy without much flowing back to Linden coffers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Yeah… until they need to find/build a replacement, or expend time and effort to minimize the Thunes Tax that will now skim from the SL economy without much flowing back to Linden coffers.

the interesting thing to know would be who made the 5 yr partnership a part of the deal ; Thunes ... or LL.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

the interesting thing to know would be who made the 5 yr partnership a part of the deal ; Thunes ... or LL.

Thunes calls it's customers, partnerships.  I expect Thunes made that 5 yr obligation from LL to use and pay for their service.  Why would LL lock themselves into a money transmitting company for 5 years?  Someone else could come along with better service and rates, and now LL would have to pay to break a contract.   Of course if Thunes cannot make a profit and goes under, I suppose that would cancel the contract.

Most long term contracts will offer lower or fixed rates for the term.  That would be LL's reason to enter into the contract. And Thunes locks in a customer for 5 years, giving them time to grow their network.

Edited by Jaylinbridges

11 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Why would LL lock themselves into a money transmitting company for 5 years?

There are for sure reasons possible for that .. Sl 's expected lifetime? The instant cash they get by the sale? The time they think  SL get sold again?

Edited by Alwin Alcott

7 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Thunes calls it's customers, partnerships.  I expect Thunes made that 5 yr obligation from LL to use and pay for their service.  Why would LL lock themselves into a money transmitting company for 5 years?  Someone else could come along with better service and rates, and now LL would have to pay to break a contract.   Of course if Thunes cannot make a profit and goes under, I suppose that would cancel the contract.

Yeah, one expects the "partnership" is just a contract specifying what each party is committed to do for the other and what contingencies can change those commitments. (Yeah, those will include what happens if either party is sold or is unable to perform on its commitments, etc.)

It's just an agreement. Both parties need it, so they negotiated its terms, in this case with a five year interval (by which time they might negotiate different terms, extend, or cancel). Of course it exists—and it would be ever so interesting to read.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

No. Anyone buying linden dollars needs to also --or selling without processing credit. Those that process credit need to prove who they are which includes driver's license or passport and proof of residence.  

Anyone who has had anything to do with linden dollars other than earning them inworld by working for example has agreed. At one point (not sure about now) there was the tiniest text on the page that said something like "by continuing with this transaction you are agreeing with the Tilia TOS and privacy policy" (PP only for US folks).   So a ton of folks that don't care, pay attention or don't read LOL have agreed and don't even know it.  

OH WELL. I actually read the TOS and privacy policies (again) before agreeing. It took me an hour and a half :D.   

I'm probably just not remembering it is all.. Either way, I won't have to this time..

I decided to wait and see what they tell us and read what they give us when the new one shows up. plus probably gonna do some research.

In the mean time, I downgraded my 3 accounts that were premium to basics and removed my payment information..

I've been hit twice with information leaks by bigger companies than this one. One was not too long after some other company took them over..  Third time isn't gonna be a charm for me.. hehehe

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

I can think of obvious reasons of "why" a 5-year deal would be part of it.. 🙂

• Like 1