Thunes to acquire payments platform Tilia LLC

4 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

No WIkipedia pages for the company or its CEO. These people prefer to stay in the shadows. But I got a name...

image.png.b9ffc68923e3ea25d2482dc828d1636e.png

Which, again, confirms my suspicions...

it-has-always-been-the-dutch-v0-4o41wv67tgtc1.webp.743fa2c7277e15393a7d0953a93708a6.webp

such casual anti semitism. utterly disgusting

Edited by aht1981
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I am not seeing how that could work since you have to change your linden dollars into USD to pay your premium charge. At least that is how it used to work. Maybe I am missing something. 

For those starting out with L$s, sure. But the idea is to find a way for those without L$s to get L$s without buying them through a TIlia account. If US$ payment for a Premium subscription doesn't go through Tilia (and I'm not sure it doesn't), then this way the Lab could bypass Tilia.

And that all assumes it's in the Lab's interest to cut Tilia out of the loop. They created Tilia for a reason, so they wouldn't want to solve those problems again for subscription revenue unless that's already how it works.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

If US$ payment for a Premium subscription doesn't go through Tilia (and I'm not sure it doesn't), then this way the Lab could bypass Tilia.

I would hope it bypasses Tilia, since it is a "direct payment" and Tilia / Thune shouldn't get a cut!

Except, LL and users will benefit by "all payments going through Thune", since they will have more "payment methods".

Edited by Love Zhaoying

5 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

No WIkipedia pages for the company or its CEO. These people prefer to stay in the shadows. But I got a name...

image.png.b9ffc68923e3ea25d2482dc828d1636e.png

Which, again, confirms my suspicions...

it-has-always-been-the-dutch-v0-4o41wv67tgtc1.webp.743fa2c7277e15393a7d0953a93708a6.webp

What do Israel and the Jewish people have to do with this? 

Edited by Sammy Huntsman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Well, I would hope that only LL can define the exchange rate for L$/USD!

Oh, I'd assume so, yeah. But that raises an interesting question: if the Lab sells L$s on the LindeX to maintain the exchange rate, do they use a Tilia account to receive the US$s, same as residents selling L$s? That seems insane but… hmm.

Edited by Qie Niangao
(typo)
  • Like 1

Just now, Qie Niangao said:

Oh, I'd assume so, yeah. But that's raises an interesting question: if the Lab sells L$s on the LindeX to maintain the exchange rate, do they use a Tilia account to receive the US$s, same as residents selling L$s? That seems insane but… hmm.

Suddenly, setting a fixed L$<=>USD exchange rate makes sense, kinda. 

21 minutes ago, aht1981 said:

5 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

God help the moderator. The image is obviously ironic (I mean, "Aliens"?), poking fun at all the dopiest of conspiracy theories. But then there's Poe's Law.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

23 minutes ago, aht1981 said:

7 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Um.

Far from being antisemitic, the meme is actually mocking absurd conspiracy theories of the sort that suggest that "the Jews" are secretly running the US. 

It's only antisemitic if you also think that it's seriously suggesting that aliens, the Dutch, etc., are the real power in America. And I'm pretty sure that is not its point.

I get that we are all very sensitive to possible instances of antisemitism these days (and I hope to Islamophobia, which is also on the rise), but the exercise of a little critical thinking should ease people's minds in this instance. 

To reiterate, this is not articulating anti-semitic conspiracy theories -- it's satirizing them. It's not a joke I'd likely make myself, for reasons too evident here, but it is not antisemitism.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

God help the moderator. The image is obviously ironic (I mean, "Aliens"?), poking fun at all the dopiest of conspiracy theories. But then there's Poe's Law.

Great minds think alike? 

Or fools seldom differ?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

For those starting out with L$s, sure. But the idea is to find a way for those without L$s to get L$s without buying them through a TIlia account. If US$ payment for a Premium subscription doesn't go through Tilia (and I'm not sure it doesn't), then this way the Lab could bypass Tilia.

And that all assumes it's in the Lab's interest to cut Tilia out of the loop. They created Tilia for a reason, so they wouldn't want to solve those problems again for subscription revenue unless that's already how it works.

Well you had to agree with the Tilia TOS in order to become premium .Just checked and that is still in effect. 

image.thumb.png.5fe143593489e35f64dfdb377f683414.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

My question was really about buying L$ (and selling, which doesn't impact me).

If Thunes were to own the exchange RATE, that sounds bad.

See my post above. You are still going through Tilia (or the new company). You were in Sansar also.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Um.

Far from being antisemitic, the meme is actually mocking absurd conspiracy theories of the sort that suggest that "the Jews" are secretly running the US. 

It's only antisemitic if you also think that it's seriously suggesting that aliens, the Dutch, etc., are the real power in America. And I'm pretty sure that is not its point.

I get that we are all very sensitive to possible instances of antisemitism these days (and I hope to Islamophobia, which is also on the rise), but the exercise of a little critical thinking should ease people's minds in this instance. 

To reiterate, this is not articulating anti-semitic conspiracy theories -- it's satirizing them. It's not a joke I'd likely make myself, for reasons too evident here, but it is not antisemitism.

Yeah I didn't know it was a meme making fun of it, so thank you for telling me that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Well you had to agree with the Tilia TOS in order to become premium .Just checked and that is still in effect. 

If I became Premium years before Tilia (on my main and my Alt), would I have been asked later to accept Tilia T&A? I seem to have a dim memory of it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

If I became Premium years before Tilia (on my main and my Alt), would I have been asked later to accept Tilia T&A? I seem to have a dim memory of it.

Yes. the primary reason I gave up my Premium membership when it ran out a year after Belli opened.  

AND It is very likely that anyone using the new company may have to agree again as the TOS will likely change. 

All that being said (and glad I have all my money in my brick and mortar bank now) there WAS a time when LL was thinking about letting folks pay for premium with linden dollars. This from Patch on the forums and I was still at LEA7 MOSP so many years ago.  I couldn't see any advantage for them with that and it never happened. 

There could be a chance that they look at that again.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Well you had to agree with the Tilia TOS in order to become premium

Thanks, yeah, that seems to seal off L$ sources. That being the case, I'm not sure there's much point in bypassing Tilia for sinks (such as the hypothetical L$-denominated tier payment).

I guess we don't really know how much Tilia takes from the US$ subscription fee. (Do we? It's sorta none of our business but might matter to the Lab going forward.)

• Like 1

It makes sense that LL sets the "exchange rate" and tell Tilia / Thune, "use this exchange rate".

Just like other currencies, where the rate is either set by the country / government ("tie ours to the USD"), or where it is set to a "market rate".  In the case of L$, the "market rate" is set by LL itself.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Trinity Blakewell said:

As long as it's really HQ'ed in Singapore and not Beijing. 

The following example is similar to the issues with TikTok...there's a mobile streaming service (IQYI) that has their "international" headquarters in Singapore, but their corporate HQ in China. A while back they were picking up exclusives on some KDramas, and there was discussion on the internet among KDrama fans about whether or not to join the service. If you look at their fine print...they're sharing their customer data with corporate HQ.

That's really my only concern.. I get real touchy when it comes to my payment information..

At&t Just got hit and my information got nabbed.. Now I have another free identity theft protection for a year from them.. funny they decided to raise prices two weeks after they got hit.. Bastages having customers covering the costs of the companies own leaks.

So ya, I'm trigger happy on pulling my info if I get leery, in a heart beat.. I'm about done spending anymore money in this world anyways. This right here is just  something that might make that happen sooner than later.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

That's really my only concern.. I get real touchy when it comes to my payment information..

At&t Just got hit and my information got nabbed.. Now I have another free identity theft protection for a year from them.. funny they decided to raise prices two weeks after they got hit.. Bastages having customers covering the costs of the companies own leaks.

So ya, I'm trigger happy on pulling my info if I get leery, in a heart beat.. I'm about done spending anymore money in this world anyways. This right here is just  something that might make that happen sooner than later.

It seems likely (no info on this at all) that the folks that are buying Tilia are buying the DATABASE with customers and client information.  So (to me) it seems like they will already have anyone's info --- especially those that processed credit out to Paypal.  When I agreed to the Tilia TOS at the very end of last year (after they had changed their TOS to the better) I didn't have to redo any info. It just went right through once it recognized me.  I had been "cashing out" monthly before Tilia was divided from SL. 

So my fingers are crossed that I don't regret that move. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

It seems likely (no info on this at all) that the folks that are buying Tilia are buying the DATABASE with customers and client information.  So (to me) it seems like they will already have anyone's info --- especially those that processed credit out to Paypal.  When I agreed to the Tilia TOS at the very end of last year (after they had changed their TOS to the better) I didn't have to redo any info. It just went right through once it recognized me.  I had been "cashing out" monthly before Tilia was divided from SL. 

Things won't change hands I wouldn't think, until it's all a done deal.. It still has to go through regulatory approvals..

Then I would think we would need to agree to another TOS. Which I thought just those that cash out had to agree to the Tilla Tos.

Myself, I think I'm just gonna pull my info for now and wait and see, because I don't like this behind closed doors crap with my information.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Not the "literal" database, after some transition period Thune would convert the Tilia data from the Tilia database, into the format for the database used by the Thune ERP.

ETA: Of course they're "buying" but probably won't use much of the Tilia software after any conversion period. Unless somehow, Thune has zero US payment gateways (which makes little sense). I have to assume Thune had the better software and will "win", except any interface to SL, etc.

Edited by Love Zhaoying

49 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Then I would think we would need to agree to another TOS. Which I thought just those that cash out had to agree to the Tilla Tos.

No. Anyone buying linden dollars needs to also --or selling without processing credit. Those that process credit need to prove who they are which includes driver's license or passport and proof of residence.  

Anyone who has had anything to do with linden dollars other than earning them inworld by working for example has agreed. At one point (not sure about now) there was the tiniest text on the page that said something like "by continuing with this transaction you are agreeing with the Tilia TOS and privacy policy" (PP only for US folks).   So a ton of folks that don't care, pay attention or don't read LOL have agreed and don't even know it.  

OH WELL. I actually read the TOS and privacy policies (again) before agreeing. It took me an hour and a half :D.   

Edited by Chic Aeon
grammar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2