Missed It By 15mm

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 99 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Before I start, I wish to state this thread is NOT about parcels being able to set any standards they wish for avatars entering their parcel. There parcel, their rules.

Now, with that out of the way, here we go.

I answered a call in a group chat looking for people to come party at the groups club.

I tped over and was  greeted with this message:

-------------

[05:50]  Avatar Scanner  V0.8.0:
In order to create a classy and realistic environment for all, we have defined min and max body sizes for the extended  Club area at 3000m and the skyboxes.
Your body is too short according to the club rules (min. height 1.670): 1.655.
If you love our place, please consider to create a shape compatible to our club rules. If you remain as you are now, we will TP you home within 3 minutes.

--------------

I got bounced, and made a comment about being too short in the group chat. A mod said, you got a problem? I said no. He said your hair is full bright too, that wouldn't work here. I said, no problem, I'll just leave the group, The mod beat me to it.

I'm sure he'd have bounced me for my system head too

Ironically, if I had been wearing heels, the height detector would have thought I was tall enough.

My question for the forum is: How far will YOU go to satisfy the arbitrary requirements of a parcel owner to satisfy their set standards, be it height, number of scripts, avatar complexity, clothing style, species, gender, mesh vs non mesh, etc etc etc.

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
formatting
  • Like 7

9 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Before I start, I wish to state this thread is NOT about parcels being able to set any standards they wish for avatars entering their parcel. There parcel, their rules.

Now, with that out of the way, here we go.

I answered a call in a group chat looking for people to come party at the groups club.

I tped over and was  greeted with this message:

-------------

[05:50]  Avatar Scanner  V0.8.0:
In order to create a classy and realistic environment for all, we have defined min and max body sizes for the extended  Club area at 3000m and the skyboxes.
If you love our place, please consider to create a shape compatible to our club rules. If you remain as you are now, we will TP you home within 3 minutes.

--------------

I got bounced, and made a comment about being too short in the group chat. A mod said, you got a problem? I said no. He said your hair is full bright too, that wouldn't work here. I said, no problem, I'll just leave the group, The mod beat me to it.

I'm sure he'd have bounced me for my system head too

Ironically, if I had been wearing heels, the height detector would have thought I was tall enough.

My question for the forum is: How far will YOU go to satisfy the arbitrary requirements of a parcel owner to satisfy their set standards, be it height, number of scripts, avatar complexity, clothing style, species, gender, mesh vs non mesh, etc etc etc.

I actually avoid alot of sims because of rules like this . Mostly dress codes . They say stuff like " human only " and I'm usually elvish , furry, or even when I'm human , it's usually not dressed the way they like... aaaaandd on the shorter side . Really can't win with dress code sims . They want a bunch of normies to come dance in their giant dance floor full of giant avatars in the same unison dance .

However , full bright items are a plague to us all and that one was justified.  .-.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I will follow the "humans only" rules that a lot of sims have, and not turn up in a cute animal avatar. Height rules, well my avatar is generally pretty short but it has been ages since I went to a parcel with height detection. I would skip going there rather than change my height. I have seen child-looking avatars taller than me in adult sims in any case.

Why do you have full bright hair??!

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

At parties there might be dress codes, if it is a themed party I'm okay with that.
Ballroom in jeans... nah. Halloween without costume... nah too.  And so on.
Otherwise: not likely that I will adapt.

But I will not change my avatar for people who want me to be taller, shorter, needing to wear a certain body or head.. Not in a thousand years.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

Why do you have full bright hair??!

Because it matches with my full bright bunny tail *smiles*.

In fact, I've set some of my mesh hair to full bright to match my full bright bangs which i never remove. Everyone knows you can't "remove" bangs, you can only let them grow out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

If there were a good cause or a very special exhibition involved then I might consider donning a biggie or other appropriate avatar for it, and I'd dress accordingly, though I can't think of an occasion where this has happened.  I'd just hope for a landing area that gives me time to decide on it (and that applies anywhere).

• Like 7

If the rules are easy to accommodate I will follow them, but when it becomes a chore to read through all of the rules, I usually decide it is better to just move on.  Most of the time when I am at a club, I'm being paid to attend and there are few rules, simple things like having a low script count, not having a high complexity, or going to the dance floor and dancing are typical and I'm fine with doing that. 

Usually where I find a long list of rules, are when I go to RP areas that I have found through SL's search.  I'll read through them, go to where I am allowed to be, then teleport out.

• Like 14

2 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

05:50]  Avatar Scanner  V0.8.0:

I used to set my avatar height to my rl height, but had to adapt to like 2m in my early days, because it would have been annoying to dance with giants, or have door handles on same height with my eyes, and such... In later years, furniture, buildings, other people's avatars on average, became much more rl scale, and I now keep my avatar's height at around 1,70, which still is a bit taller than my rl height, but tall enough to not have encountered any height booting so far, it's not worth fussing about a few centimetres taller or not to me. 

If I got booted for lacking height, knowing my avi is 1,70, I'd not bother adjusting to go back, though, I'd find that rule stickling too ridiculous. While I absolutely understand that sim or parcel owners do their best to assure no kid avis where none should be, I've seen so many avis that reek of child play and wouldn't have any issues to pass the height check.

Of course, one could also argue endlessly over the actual height limit, and someone from Norway might think, 1,80m is reasonable enough for average avatar height, while someome from somewhere else might rightly say, their countries' average female height is 1,45m, ...

They need to have to set the limit somewhere, if they have one, be it height, scipts, full-bright, or else.

Generally, if I really want to be somewhere, or may want to be at a place long-term, I'll check the rules, and if they are reasonable enough to me, I would adapt. If not, not (edit for clarification: and leave, and strike it off my personal map). I respect it if people are required to "fit into a setting".

When I want to insist on "coming as I am", I stick to exploring places that don't mind.

How far I'd go, it's hard to measure (no pun intended), mostly would depend on how dearly I'd want to be there, I guess? In your club example, I'd have found it too fussy to argue about cranking my avi height up a notch, and just done it, if I really was interested in that club. The full bright hair, on the other hand, if I saw such a feature as such as a defining trait of my virtual self, and always wore it, that I'd feel bad changing it, I'd probably find it a bit silly of the place, but would respect their own best judgement in deeming it as too much of an eyesore to owner or their usual visitor group, and kindly take my leave.

Edited by InnerCity Elf
  • Like 5

I typically don’t run into this problem. I’ve seen the script thing a few times, but I usually ignore it. The height thing I’ve never had happen because I’m usually taller than average. I’m 180cm (5’11) in real life, so it doesn’t feel weird to me to be taller.

I have been to a couple clubs with some over zealous hosts or mod that go “Hi hun, you look lovely, but your dress is a little too short. Would you mind changing to a longer one?”

I just go somewhere else.

• Like 8

Oh well... this is why I tend to go to rock/metal clubs if I want to socialize. I'm just p&$sed there isn't a good animation for moshing, but that's another story. :D

I will gladly dress up for formal clubs, but ya, if I'm required to be the Amazonian queen, I'll move elsewhere. If I owned a formal club, the only requirements I'd put up after formal wear is don't come in with a child avi, and don't disrespect the guests and staff.

(Rant) Maybe this is why I love Open Sim. A lot of the formal clubs there aren't as restrictive. And no, I don't care if anyone says it's because any single hypergrid there isn't as heavily populated as SL is on any given day. Heck, the formal clubs there sometimes allow Dinkies and other creatures, as long as they come in formal wear. Just no child avis. (End rant)

• Like 7

3 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

My question for the forum is: How far will YOU go to satisfy the arbitrary requirements of a parcel owner to satisfy their set standards

I'd hunt for a "formal dress" in my inventory if it was that kind of setting, or remove/hide A-rated accessories if going somewhere G or M rated. That's it, nothing else.

3 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Ironically, if I had been wearing heels

I ALWAYS wear heels.

Because in SL, I CAN.

• Like 6

Simple solution: you know those shoesbases, edit one of those if possible: make one transparent and fiddle with the height till it's the "required" height. Then edit appearance and decrease the hover of your shape till the feet hit the floor. Like that, your avatar maintains the height you want but the detectors will consider you taller.

• Like 7

If rules are clearly stated, I generally follow their rules or I don't go in.

For 1920's Berlin I made a shorter shape. For Gorean sims, I had Freewoman outfits so I wouldn't get harassed. The only thing I don't do is use their HUD or OOC titles in roleplay sims that I want to explore. I have my own group, with an OOC title, so I use that. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Istelathis said:

when it becomes a chore to read through all of the rules, I usually decide it is better to just move on

There was one place I visited, in theory it should have been my kind of place. Kinky club with no random outsider guys allowed, and all that.

Arriving at the landing point, you got spammed with a "rules" card.

A warning that you were on a BDSM sim, a warning that wearing bdsm gear on a bdsm sim wasn't allowed because it might cause lag ( so not much of a bdsm sim huh ), a warning that you were NOT allowed to leave without saying goodbye to the owner and her inner circle, and that you had to wait 60 seconds after doing so so they would have time to reply before you left, and failure to do so would result in a ban...

And those were the "reasonable rules". I left less than 60 seconds after arriving without a word.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

There was one place I visited, in theory it should have been my kind of place. Kinky club with no random outsider guys allowed, and all that.

A warning that you were on a BDSM sim, a warning that wearing bdsm gear on a bdsm sim wasn't allowed because it might cause lag ( so not much of a bdsm sim huh ), a warning that you were NOT allowed to leave without saying goodbye to the owner and her inner circle, and that you had to wait 60 seconds after doing so so they would have time to reply before you left, and failure to do so would result in a ban...

And those were the "reasonable rules". I left less than 60 seconds after arriving without a word.

Yeah, no. Those are not reasonable rules. 

I might change my height or outfit, but I'm not going to change my skin/ race (except to be non-human, eg. N'avi). I am also NOT going to appear or act like a slave or submissive. I'm not going to be naked just because I'm female, but I will be naked in a nudist sim. I will not make more conversation than saying hello, if I don't feel like it, and no one is going to tell me when I can or can't leave. I'm also not going to let other people control my RLV settings. Nobody gets to control me or my avatar without my permission.

I used to go to a Minoan sim that required women to have their breasts exposed, and even though that's not historically accurate, I did that because I wanted to do it.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

The way I see it, it's give and take.

Some sims the region owner puts a lot of effort into making a high quality environment, making it immersive etc. And so, asking guests to similarly put effort into making their avatars fit the environment is not that unreasonable, and a pretty fair trade - You put work into your av, you get to participate in a sim that's had a lot of work put into it, and with people who also similarly put work into their av.

Of course, that's not to say that every sim that has such requirements it is a fair trade. There are plenty of sims that place very high demands on guests whilst not providing an awful lot in return, those aren't worth putting much effort into at all.

Personally, I prefer regions that do some level of vetting of their own content and guests, preferring quality over quantity both for the people I talk to and the stuff I interact with, but everyone enjoys things differently.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

There parcel, their rules.

says it all, do it or leave.

well duh, I stated that at the start of my post. but this thread isn’t about that, its about how far one will go to comply. 😂

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
punctuation, added an emojii
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I'd find new bangs.

Yes but I like my bangs just as they are.

I had one friend years ago, in 2017, they considered themselves “top shelf” best of the best money could buy. Personally I thought their avatar was kinda crappy looking, but, personal preferences right?

They also fancied themselves a top notch photographer, and they were always bugging me to get a mesh head and mesh hair, otherwise they couldn’t lower their standards to take my picture “as is”.

We eventually parted ways when I told them in no uncertain terms that watching a virtual total eclipse would in no way shape or form be comparable to watching the real thing in real life.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

I got banned from a BDSM sim one time because I smacked some subby’s butt without asking the owners permission first.

That may or may not have been addressed in the rules notecard, but does anyone actually read those things right to the end?

Hey if its public access, its fair game right? 😁

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

I don't run into this much at all. I may have seen a posted minimum height rule once or twice? I ignore those - all of my avatars are over 6.5 feet, plus heels. I've never been hassled or booted for being a frog or lich or fox or whatever. I stopped messing with big clubs a long time ago since I had trouble finding places playing what I like to hear, but prior to that, I can't think of any I used to go to that had avatar rules at all.

Only one beach I hung out at had a human-only rule, and I easily got around that by converting one of my mermaid avatars into a land version. Nobody seemed to take issue at all with shell swimwear, scale tattoos/materials, seaweed skirts, cute little tiaras and themed jewelry, etc. Or, I'd just toss on a human avie and throw her into random summer wear or something. I might have poked the rules a lil bit with the stompy boots and heels in the sand, but nobody cared much about that either.

5 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Not very. If I am going somewhere in the hang out category, I try to make sure they're open to all. If I can say "but I look ridiculous right now - I'm a frog in roller skates with a cat on my head just FYI" in response to a friend's TP and get met with a "perfect, who cares" then I'm good to go.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 99 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.