Missed It By 15mm

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 99 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

14 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

My question for the forum is: How far will YOU go to satisfy the arbitrary requirements of a parcel owner to satisfy their set standards, be it height, number of scripts, avatar complexity, clothing style, species, gender, mesh vs non mesh, etc etc etc.

Depends.

If it's a genre restriction, "this is a fantasy venue, be in fantasy theme", then sure.

But if it seems illogical - like the one that hit you - I'd bounce.

Sometimes the genre themes also rub me the wrong way and I bounce. Especially when it's a genre ban out of a non-genre venue: "All avatars must be 100% human to hang out in our social cafe / dance club / discussion venue / random place. No elves, nekos, or etc." These places are usually asking for "realism because their patrons demanded it" but I often only find out about them because someone invited me and then asked me to just ignore the rules...

Where we might fall on opposite sides of this is in 'currentness of avatar look' - as in I have no issues with places that want mesh avatars, but only if they're screening out badly optimized mesh (which almost none even know how to do). If I'm going for the eye-candy then I want the eye-candy.

A few times I've landed in places with warnings that "people using stolen content will get DCMA'd" that then have 'World of Warcraft', Marvel, Star Wars, Avatar, etc statues / props out... ;) I almost want to go buy something stolen and put it on before coming back when I encounter that.

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver
  • Like 6

I wouldn't change on the spot ever.  I'm mostly aware of where I am going before I go though and dress in theme if it interests me or make sure I'm PG dressed in those areas. 

I think in your case it was all about the way it was handled. There was a blanket group invite ... a put on the spot ejection possibility .. then a rude moderator. No way I'd make an effort in that case and I'd be miffed.

I like sims that have many rules to have a landing spot .. then you can read the note or chat to see if it's a place you might fit in.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Honestly, I very frequently have the impression that a great many SL BDSMers know nothing about it either.

Yeah, this I think. There are subs who are actually encouraged/required by their Dom/mes to wander the grid looking for people who will "interact" with them in various possible ways. The fact that we have digital affordances, such as RLV and scripted collars, adds a whole new layer to how we communicate desire and intention in SL that is not really accounted for in RL terms.

a lot of subs dont mention their owners name in their profile which makes me think they just use that as a convenient excuse to leave a situation.

On the other hand, I never play with someone that says they are owned.

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added a line
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

I've never really run into these rules but I don't go to clubs often. Would I change my avatar if there was some requirement? I'd elongate just my neck to reach the height requirement. 

That may make you irresistible to vampires!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

With the greatest respect, Alwin, no one here I've seen has suggested otherwise.

But having the right to impose absurd or stupid rules doesn't, and shouldn't, exempt you from criticism for their absurdity or stupidity.

i do agree, íf the first poster was not understanding, knowing, unexperienced ... and a lot more things that a newbie wouldn't know.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, LexxiXhan said:

One thing this thread has taught me is that I have no idea what height my avatar is. I'm gonna have to log in and check now..

So it turns out I'm 1.91m/6'7", which seems kinda tall. And there was me wondering why my friend is so tiny 🤭

• Haha 4

I'll change my clothes to fit a theme. I'll, also, bump my height up temporarily if my dance partner is really tall.

I won't raise my height to enter a venue, however.  Luckily, the few adult venues I have chosen to frequent don't have height or species rules.  If I had been told I was too short, I would leave without a fuss.

I am pretty short by SL standards, but have a mature face, body, and clothing.  In fact, I have taken care to not look like a 10 year old with breasts. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

i do agree, íf the first poster was not understanding, knowing, unexperienced ... and a lot more things that a newbie wouldn't know.

Mr  Alcott, in your snippy reply to me before, you said do it or leave.

If I hadn't been booted, I would have left anyway.

I never argue with landowners about their rules, no matter how stupid they are. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

And yet here we are, discussing it anyway.

No, she stated she'd leave rather than alter, and asked what others would do. That's a fair question.

People have answered, including myself, fair answers.

If you don't like the thread, that's on you.

• Like 6

It's rare that I'll change avatars just to go to a particular sim. I mean sure, if it's a dinosaur-themed sim, and I have a dino avi, I'mma go as a dinosaur, but I mean when they say that anyone wearing blue and having green eyes isn't allowed on their sim, I just let them have their emptiness.

They do it because they only want a certain sort of people around. The sort who will complain and threaten to leave if people they don't like the look of hang out. Those people are important to please, I guess.

My only exception really to my rule is when it's a themed sim (think 1920's Berlin, or a wild west sim, etc.), or when it's a friend's sim, and it's A-rated land. I am always willing to dress as an adult for the sake of visiting a friend's RP sim community, when it's on A-rated land.

Just don't expect me to date anyone.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 3

I am 5'6" irl, which is about 1.6764 meters. All but a few of my avatars are this size, exceptions being feral or alien avatars.

One problem I have is that I use a reference ruler to get the proportions to match my IRL proportions (Arm length, head size, leg to torso ratio, etc). This ruler is made with prims, so it lets me make a really accurately proportioned avatar. The problem being, this doesn't align with the hitbox, appearance height number, or SL skeleton height, and often makes me appear smaller to scripts.

I've been ejected from a few places before by scripts, each time I just go, well I'm not changing for them and don't go there.

Scripts:

zZUwEix.png

Hitbox:

efynRnw.png

Edited by Chaser Zaks
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

If sims don't like me how I am I just go somewhere else.  It's really stupid though every sim wants people and putting rules on people is just discouraging them to be there.  It's like shooting yourself in the foot.  As a land owner of a public place you just have to learn to leave the public alone, let them be and give them space to use your land.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

We should make a set of rules that exclude everyone.

No short, tall, fat, skinny, or average

No System or Mesh

No Scripts

No avatars <= 2.0, or >=2.0m

No avatars with or without POF

No avatars under or over 1 year of age

No human or non-human avatars

No standing, No dancing

No soliciting, no tipping, free entry, must pay entry fee, must tip all hosts and DJ's

Vote for Us!

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

If sims don't like me how I am I just go somewhere else.  It's really stupid though every sim wants people and putting rules on people is just discouraging them to be there.  It's like shooting yourself in the foot.  As a land owner of a public place you just have to learn to leave the public alone, let them be and give them space to use your land.

They're getting rid of "undesirables" so that more of the sort of people they want to be there will come to their sim. They think that disallowing anything but a particular type of avi will get them better traffic, because so many of the sort of people they imagine wanting to visit their sim would naturally dislike anything that reflects the actual reality of the SL userbase.

Join a platform that allows people to be anything they want. Create a space on said platform for people to be only the way you want. Wonder why you only get a fraction of the population as traffic.

Now it's true, some people are drawn to exclusivity. I mean, look at the awful food (worse than school food) that rich people have to eat, just for the sake of eating it without "low-class" people around, like people who know how to cook real food. They'll totally put up with second-rate everything if it keeps all those derned (fill in the blank)s away.

But... I doubt most people are drawn to SL by thoughts of finally being able to be all alone with only "their kind" (if they are, they're being foolish). Nevermind the fact that hardly anyone they meet is going to even vaguely resemble their true (as in, RL) type, anyway.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

We should make a set of rules that exclude everyone.

No short, tall, fat, skinny, or average

No System or Mesh

No Scripts

No avatars <= 2.0, or >=2.0m

No avatars with or without POF

No avatars under or over 1 year of age

No human or non-human avatars

No standing, No dancing

No soliciting, no tipping, free entry, must pay entry fee, must tip all hosts and DJ's

Vote for Us!

* comes in as a name tag *

5765b78ffc1200f1a68d804b661d658a.gif

Greetings.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, PheebyKatz said:

Nevermind the fact that hardly anyone they meet is going to even vaguely resemble their true (as in, RL) type, anyway.

Except for height!  Everyone is always saying their avatar is their RL height.  Not weight or age or gender.   Noooo.  Just height for some unknown reason.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

36 minutes ago, PheebyKatz said:

Nevermind the fact that hardly anyone they meet is going to even vaguely resemble their true (as in, RL) type, anyway.

I RL have long hair and the same tattoo as my avatar..

It's always nice to be the exception!

True, a lot of people do try to represent themselves somewhat as they are in RL. I just don't get why people would come to SL and want places to allow nothing but people who present as if they are in (at least somebody's) RL.

SL just seems like a bad bet for people seeking to avoid all of those "SL types".

It's kind of like abhorring fish and crabs and such, and hanging out on the beach all day right next to a live fish market, and then complaining about the smell. They could just hang out in a park or on Facebutt all day, if all they want is people who look like people all the time.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 99 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.