When Was The Last Time You Watched The Sunrise?

Perrie Juran

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 156 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When I first started Second Life one of my favorite locations was a collection of four Regions. I do not recall the name of all four but one of them was called Secret Reflections, another called Midnight Reflections. And one of my favorite things to do was sitting on a hill there with a friend and the Sunrise while we chatted.

At that time the sky was a pretty simple thing. The full SL day/night cycle was about four hours. There is even a function llGetSunDirection. People would use it for turning street and other lights automatically on and off as day moved to night and night moved to day.

On an individual basis you could change the time of day you were seeing but the clock still kept ticking forward from the point that you set it.

Then came Windlight and it revolutionized lighting in Second Life. You could create custom skies and many people did create some awesome sky settings. But it did not eliminate the day/night cycle. You could still watch the Sunrise or the Sunset if you desired.

And then came the Environmental Enhancement Project, aka EEP. And it opened up even more possibilities. Want two moons or two Suns in your sky and you could do it, as well as other special effects.

But the one thing that I have not seen since EEP went live is a Sunrise or Sunset. Every sky setting is static as far as the time of day goes. No transition from day to night or from night to day. I've read the Wiki and supposedly you can create a day cycle but the instructions are making no sense to me. And while I have not done a really deep dive on the MP, I have not found an EEP for sale so I could again watch the Sun rise or set.

So when was the last time you watched the Sunrise or Sunset in Second Life?

• Like 6

I watch sunsets more often than I watch sunrises, but it depends on where I am, which way I'm facing, and who I'm with.  I use EEPs a lot, but I do like to put on default lighting when I actually want to see the sun or moon move toward or away from the horizon.  It is kind of soothing to watch the slow movement.  I live in an area in RL that is cloudy often, so it's a treat to watch.

• Like 3

I see at least one sunrise or sunset almost every single day.  When I am travelling around SL, I used to always make sure to use the region default day cycle, which on mainland was always the 4-hour LL day.

However, since the addition of EEP, this appears to be somewhat broken, and even selecting the default day cycle doesn't appear to be correct. It doesn't synch up with the actual time as shown in : World > Region Details > Environment.

So i use a day cycle named "KFC Windlight-esque", which appears to have been made specifically to fix this issue.  Using this Day Cycle setting, the sun rises and sets to match the default LL day to within about 1 minute accuracy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Pretty often as the fantasy area in the Linden Homes has a nice cycle with the glow as well. Day cycles for EEPs can do whatever you want, so you can have one with sunrises and sunsets. What's different with EEP is it doesn't have to be a regular day. I have one with holographic grid lines and the colour changes during the day, rather than the sun/moon moving. I made one for my birthday build that was random weird skies.

To get started, you create static skies for some times of day (or pick ones from the library). For a regular day, midnight, noon, sunset and sunrise are a good starting point. Then you put those into the cycle. They act like keyframes in an animation, so the system will sort how it should look as it moves between the skies you added.

• Like 4

When I log in to SL to hang on my building platform first thing is switching to midday.
When I explore I use shared environment. So I do see the sun rise at times.
At the moment I have a winter scene around my house, I use the midnight setting when I'm there.

• Like 2

I don't know if I have ever seen it. i have on occasion had it get to dark to take pictures or to see things well, and i adjusted the lighting to compensate. Lone ago before i learned how to adjust the position on the sun and the moon, I tried to get a picture of the moon but it sat before i got my picture,

14 hours ago, Orwar said:

Does tossing the sun around when adjusting an EEP for a shoot so that it bounces up and down the horizon count?

About the ONLY time I even USE a "sunrise" eep is if I'm taking a snapshot, and even then I seldom see it, because I'm pointing the camera the other way at what's being lit by the sunrise, hahaha.

32 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

About the ONLY time I even USE a "sunrise" eep is if I'm taking a snapshot, and even then I seldom see it, because I'm pointing the camera the other way at what's being lit by the sunrise, hahaha.

Yeah, same really. It happens that I'll put the moon up behind me and use local lights to pick out the subject if there's sufficient ambient light for the rest of the scene, but then I've found you can get nicer moons with less hassle by just putting one on a prim and aligning it with your camera angle. I know you can change the texture inside the EEP and stuff but .. Prim + local texture upload + nicking cool moon pic off Google = win.

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

Yeah, same really. It happens that I'll put the moon up behind me and use local lights to pick out the subject if there's sufficient ambient light for the rest of the scene, but then I've found you can get nicer moons with less hassle by just putting one on a prim and aligning it with your camera angle. I know you can change the texture inside the EEP and stuff but .. Prim + local texture upload + nicking cool moon pic off Google = win.

LOL, yeah especially as the EEP Moon even at brightest setting is too damn dark.

23 hours ago, Perrie Juran said:

When I first started Second Life one of my favorite locations was a collection of four Regions. I do not recall the name of all four but one of them was called Secret Reflections, another called Midnight Reflections. And one of my favorite things to do was sitting on a hill there with a friend and the Sunrise while we chatted.

<snip>

So when was the last time you watched the Sunrise or Sunset in Second Life?

Not since my early days of SL.  Like you, I had some favorite spots for watching sunrises and some favorite spots for sunsets.  I've not watched either in probably more than a decade.

I should go do that soon.  Watching sunrises & sunsets, in SL and RL, has always been an activity that relaxes and calms me.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

The Reflections regions were favorites of mine, especially the underground one, Secret Reflections!

Thanks! I had such fun creating those sims, back in the day. I can't even remember how many there were...like 4 or 6.

The owner who hired me did some work on them too (the dance floor area for the most part), and really knew how to host. That place was always hopping!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 156 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.