This place gives me the...

Seicher Rae

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 291 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

I rarely get bored, but I do find myself wandering through the forums in my "spare" time when I need a break from whatever it is that I was supposed to be doing.

As Belinda said, the GD is sort of like Cheers. It's also sort of like watching a train wreck -- fascinating to watch from a safe distance.  I've avoided doing much more than lurking in it for the last 16 years, although I've posted a few times a month since the CoVid era. I'm not a chatty person, I guess. I stick mostly to Answers and the Creation forums where I can learn a lot from other people or help out people who are trying to navigate the SL maze. 

How long did it take Sam and Diane to go from this:

BlackandwhiteTallHedgehog-size_restricte

to this:

cheers-sam.gif

🤭

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

A sense of satisfaction by being a constant source of eye roll pain for some and the practice of being a poster child for the Dunning-Kruger Effect. All without really even trying!

Actually, you've been less of a pain (in the eye) lately but others have filled your spot nicely.  Try harder!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

As I get tucked in bed, this has been a very civilised conversation so far. Miracles do happen. We do share a sort of common bond, despite the occasional spats. When it's like this it can be a pleasure to be here. 9_9

Yeah I know. Tempting fate.

Edited by BelindaN
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

For the first several years, I mainly just read in the forums.  My posting activity level fluctuates a lot, depending on how social I'm feeling and the content/tone of current topics at any given time.  

Over the years, though, I have learned a lot from reading here - not just in the answers section, but also in the avatar section and the building/scripting sections.  In the beginning, the answers section had answers to questions I hadn't even realized I had. I feel like I've been able to get a heads up about upcoming changes like bento, bakes on mesh, skilled gaming areas, EEP, the new linden homes, new mesh bodies and heads, to name just a few categories.  There's a few things that I sort of understand - or at least enough to know what they exist and some of the pros and cons - such as LOD settings and levels or complexity numbers.

I really enjoy the photo threads and still contribute to a couple of them from time to time.  There are so many talented photographers, stylists, home decorators and landscapers here - much more talented and skilled than I am, however, I also am inspired by them and over the years I think I've improved my skills a little bit here and there.    

Although I don't socialize much, I do like getting some exposure to a larger community and it is exciting to see a fellow forumite inworld at some event! 

Overall, I think even just reading in the forums has really expanded my overall knowledge about SL way beyond the little circle of it that I've personally experienced.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Actually, you've been less of a pain (in the eye) lately but others have filled your spot nicely.  Try harder!

Nah can't be bothered so much lately other then adding the occasional

spread-fire-sm.png

Then sit back for 

1u3ayl.jpg

After all, as you already pointed out, there are others to pull up the slack.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, ValKalAstra said:

I don't think I've ever gotten into a fight here with someone. I usually bow out when I notice someone really biting into a topic. Took me a few years to learn that skill though.

So, on the combined list for the Forum "we gets..." is: Internet Survival Skills. :) Good one.

• Like 3

One of the things that pulled me back here a few days ago, is that I realized after a chance encounter with Scylla inworld and we were chatting and I was whining about updates to the Genus head never happening and she informed me, "It is happening now..." was that this place actually did keep me somewhat informed about SL. I'm not a techie as I've never had the desire to have a PhD in SL, but I seriously dislike being clueless about it, which is the case of a lot of people I meet inworld. I have met tons of people who are older avatars than I am, so pushing 15 or higher, who still are unaware of Bellisaria (that I can't spell)! I don't want to be that level of clueless. And even though I tend to spend most of my time in the GDF, I still learned newsworthy-ish things about SL that I just don't when I am not here.

Fuss and bother!

I see that several people have listed the same thing here.

I'm thrilled that this thread made it to two pages. This may be a lifetime achievement for me. :)  Thank you to everyone for playing along..

I do love the photos in many of the other threads in various subforums. Since it is next to impossible for me to take photos with the laptop I currently have, it tends to be a bit painful to look at, because I want to go do the same thing—take photos! But again, I learn so much from just looking at pick-toors. From photo styles, to shopping info, to...

Of course, one of the things I "got" in the GDF still blows my mind: my partnership with Da5id Weatherwax, which isn't just in SL (in fact we spend very little time in SL). Who knew bantering here could yield such wonderfulness. Banter? Ok, mild flirting. But he kept being Scottish here, and throwing out "lass this" and "lass that" and it just wasn't fair! Right now, we have tentative plans for me to visit the UK in January 2024, hopefully in time for Burns' Night! (I'm coming for the Scotch, certainly not the haggis. And I'm coming to see men in skirts and reciting archaic poetry. I can't even imagine this happening in the USA... any of it. ) So, that's definitely on my list of what "this place has given me..."

This place, in the past has also given me a real-life prescription for anti-anxiety meds (well a doctor gave me the prescription, the Forum was just the reason), which in turn led me to getting a grip and not really giving a rat's behind about some of the awful trolling and stalking and vendettas and craziness that it is possible to find here (less now than then, but it is still around). So, more "Internet Survival Skills."

That's the start to my list. As I said in the OP, my original list is in double digits. Things like misanthropy-fuel have been added.

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 5

23 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

True. There are small festivals of various strangeness all over the States. I misspoke in my typing. I meant that I can't imagine the entire country of the USA stopping everything to recite century's old poetry from our "favorite" poet. :)

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 3

Way back when I was a newbie, the dashboard page used to include 2 or 3 of the most recent forum posts.  I was intrigued.  The GD was hopping back then.  Largely unmoderated and people could post about whatever they felt like posting.  There were answers to lots of my questions about SL here. Also, there were incredibly dramatic flame wars.  More than that, there were lots of very interesting threads about SL and RL and how they differed and how they were the same. And there were the funny threads.  I loved it.  I made friends with people in the forums that I hung out with in world.

Then it became so toxic that I stopped having fun.   My first av suffered her first heartbreak and I withdrew.  I couldn't bear to be reminded of how it used to be and so my first av stopped logging in.  I started using my first alt as my primary self and retired the first av.  My first av stopped posting in the forums.  I found a new crowd of people to hang out with in world and none of them posted in the forums.  I still kept in touch with my old friends here in a private thread that lasted a few years until it maxed out the number of posts allowed and it broke.  I would still pop in to the GD and read the first page worth of topics every once in a while. After the private thread broke I started posting here again.  

Then in 2020 I took my first ever break from SL after 11 years of almost daily immersion.  It started out as a temporary leave due to lack of access for 5 months after a geographic relocation.  But it seems that was long enough for me to rediscover the real world.  Nowadays I login inworld once or twice every couple of months and I read  the forums more often, about once a week or so.

Why?  "Uh, I don't know, the wind just kinda pushed me this way" 

Edited by kali Wylder
to add a link
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

The forums are the first place I go to when my hubby or I have a question regarding anything in SL. Upcoming changes and events, advice on an issue we are having with a particular part of our avatars. Anything. I know I can find the answer here. I never even had to post the question to find the answer to it. These forums are a font of invaluable information when it comes to SL.

I mostly read as of late and post very little. When I do post it is to share photos in the avatar photo threads or even the Bellisseria threads at times. I really love sharing my photos on the forums because the people have such passion for photography and their photos in SL that is often greatly lacking in places like Flickr. It is more of a feeling of camraderie than the strange popularity contests that take place on Flickr.  At least that is my take on it.

I don't really know the people here on the forums although I've been part of the community for a long time. On three different avatars in the span of years I've lurked and taken part. There are also topics that I enjoy reading through to see the feedback given. I will only post these days when I actually feel I can contribute something of interest.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rasterscan said:

This. Forum's blessed with some amazingly knowledgable contributors and I'll take a moment right now to say Thankyou !

You're welcome! ^_^

• Like 2
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1

Well, in this room over here we have an art gallery that I love to frequent and post in.  That room over there is where I watch my soap operas, sometimes I will participate in them, most of the time I just watch the story unfold while cheering on various characters, over there is the bathroom which gets cleaned every once in a while, but the toilet lid is always left up.. I always make sure to put toilet paper on the seat rather than let other people's funk get on mah bottom.  I avoid the bedroom, no amount of washing will get those sheets clean.  This door over here leads to SL, which is where I spend a lot more of my time in.  Oh there is also a real estate office, just down the street but I don't pay very much attention to it.

I can't seem to find the kitchen, I think it takes up too much li and people have decided to just bypass it entirely.  There is plenty of popcorn here though.

:D

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 291 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.