I miss the Second Life of old

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 405 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I miss the people I met back then.  I miss the flexi gowns. I miss a lot of regions.  I miss the learrning curve or maybe my willingness and enjoyment of that curve. Gawd forgive me, I miss those flashy bling earrings I thought were so cool 😊

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I miss the people I met back then.  I miss the flexi gowns. I miss a lot of regions.  I miss the learrning curve or maybe my willingness and enjoyment of that curve. Gawd forgive me, I miss those flashy bling earrings I thought were so cool 😊

Bling earrings and shoes, that was the time ☺️

I too miss the old, but sometimes I also miss the old me, I guess I was more open to discovery back then.

• Like 4

A big change came when LL started heavily promoting the marketplace. The Sim/clubs/shops formula was broken. Sim owners saw their income drop and many sims and clubs disappeared. And nowadays many clubs are deserted and residents do their shopping at the marketplace. I really miss the busy inworld shops.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

But on the whole, that side of "creativity" is much more specialized now than it used it to be, because the learning curve for mesh objects and apparel is higher than for building things with prims.

Mesh changed the very nature of SL. It used to be a world that users built and all users could do it equally well if they wanted to. Mesh killed that, and changed SL to a world that mesh creators built, and very few users are able to do it. The very nature of Second Life changed.

I can't say that I miss the old Second Life, when everyone could create equally well, because I'd stopped doing it long before mesh killed it. It was fun and good while it lasted, and I'd like to find something else, but I haven't managed it yet. I've no particular desire to go back to the 'good old days' though. I don't miss them.

• Like 5

It was a good time yeah. I call it the sandbox era. People did seem more open to chatting and making friends. I think part of that was the possibilities seemed endless and people just shared more in general. I think the social aspect was just better back then. People tended to hang out in a single place for much longer.

Thats about it though. 

I also remember the lag. If you think it’s bad now, oh boy. Just waiting for a sim to rez was a 10 min ordeal. Sure you made a lot of friends, but you were more likely to get: ‘friends’ that begged for Ls, people you wondered why they were on your friends list or  someone that just wanted to tp you to their club. There was a lot more trolling. Trolling now is tame. Back then, you’d be hanging out and suddenly be blasted into space or suddenly attacked by flying ding dongs (that was a popular one) or someone would just tp in just to crash the sim. Or vampire attacks, you’d be dancing and just get a random invite to be bitten lol. That cool thing someone gave you in a sandbox was just as likely to deform your avatar as be a set of glow sticks.

It was weird, wonderful and annoying. Would I want to go back to those days….eh, I dunno. Go back to being ruthed or tping in and my hair is in my butt? Or buying shoes and spending a half hour tinting the feet?

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

Go back to being ruthed or tping in and my hair is in my butt? 

That bit is funny now looking back

23 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

Or buying shoes and spending a half hour tinting the feet?

This is the reason I wore boots from 2009 until Slink feet appeared.  At that point I spent from then until last year always barefoot looking at my pretty toes

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

That bit is funny now looking back

This is the reason I wore boots from 2009 until Slink feet appeared.  At that point I spent from then until last year always barefoot looking at my pretty toes

Nice to see you again!  🤗

• Like 4

On 3/28/2023 at 9:07 PM, Nimue Galatea said:

I'm not in SL much these days, because as goofy, clumsy, and silly as our prim-based Second Life once was, there was an innocence and lightheartedness to it that felt like the rays of the sun hitting your heart once in a while. I still can't forget Bingoland Park, and don't think I ever will. (I swear I made a post about it on my old blog, somewhere, but I can't find it atm.) Avatars came together to this lovely park by the railroad to play Bingo, and you were rewarded with some $Lindens if you won, but people came together for the joy of it. I really miss Bingo and don't care for the Bingo machines at all...

...Or people striking up a conversation with you regardless of what your avatar looked like. People were much more eager to engage in chat, I feel. Now, most show off their expensive avatars, and I feel that unless I impress someone with an up-to-date avatar, I'm ignored.

I just miss something about the Second Life of old. Am I alone? Or am I being arrogant?

Unless you were a photographer, doing say, weddings. Hours spent fixing the avatars, the hair, the system clothes, the nose, shoulders, elbows. Good times LOL

• Like 2

On 3/29/2023 at 2:07 AM, Nimue Galatea said:

I really miss Bingo and don't care for the Bingo machines at all...

DJ Far still does the good old fashioned bingo, once a fortnight or once a month on a Wednesday. The one where you take a bingo card and wear the bingo hat that announces the winner. A friendly crowd is always there. By bingo 'machines' I guess you mean the red devil boards or somesuch. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Cindy!!

We missed you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rasterscan said:

DJ Far still does the good old fashioned bingo, once a fortnight or once a month on a Wednesday. The one where you take a bingo card and wear the bingo hat that announces the winner. A friendly crowd is always there. By bingo 'machines' I guess you mean the red devil boards or somesuch. 

I also explained to the OP that the Dinkies and Tinies sims have weekly Bingo.  I have never played Bingo.  But, she could contact our main group "Small Talk" and ask "Where is the Bingo?!"  

Also, the OP was discussing how there wasn't the mesh snobbery in old SL.  And, there wasn't because we were all Classic Avatars.  However, Raglan Shire hasn't changed in probably 19 years, so no one at the Shire cares what avatar you wear.  People are even welcome in their Classic avatar there.  There are sims she can go to to find Bingo and sims that are free of the human mesh snobbery.  The mesh snobbery for some users is tough because it's expensive; probably $80 to $100 to get a head, body, skin, AO, hair and some clothes (if one goes the most popular head/body routes).  That's a lot of money for some.  But, also some people may just not want to spend that much money on an avatar.  Heck, you can even go to the Shire in a free avatar or one you make yourself.  Raglan Shire is like old SL of be whatever you want, even be weird, and it's not changed over the course of 19+ years, plus there is almost no mesh there except a chair here or there, no sculpties either, it's built just like it was back in the day.  

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

The mesh snobbery for some users is tough because it's expensive; probably $80 to $100 to get a head, body, skin, AO, hair and some clothes (if one goes the most popular head/body routes).

Nowhere near, unless you're shopping entirely without sales and gifts (and even then, it's not that much). 

Heads are given out for free once or twice a year (depending on the brand) plus discounts on other occasions, bodies go up to about 50% off, skins/hair/clothes/etc. are in the weekly sales from 25L - 100L and plenty are given out for free at events, and AO animations go as low as about 20L/each for bento, normal price.

If you go in without any sales, discounts, freebies whatsoever - maybe about $40ish, but I always advise people to wait and not do that. With sales and gifts and discounts...I'm usually spending about $5 to make a new avatar. Maybe $10-12ish if you're just starting out and need a body.

The frequent sales and gifts and giveaways are key and keep avatar prices wayyyy down these days. I remember having to spend 900L-1500L+ on skins and 250-350L on hair way back when, and now it's what...60L?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ian Mercury said:

A big change came when LL started heavily promoting the marketplace. The Sim/clubs/shops formula was broken. Sim owners saw their income drop and many sims and clubs disappeared. And nowadays many clubs are deserted and residents do their shopping at the marketplace. I really miss the busy inworld shops.

My interpretation is slightly different, but I agree with your conclusion. I started try to make and sell things within a year after I came to SL. Natalya Zelmanov's blog (Mermaid Diaries) taught me a lot of the basics of texturing and making prim clothing -- primitive by today's standards but enough to get me started -- and I operated four or five small shops before about 2011. I had considered trying to market on XStreetSL, but it was a clumsy system. When LL replaced XStreet with Marketplace, though, it was much easier to use. I gave up my shops, where I was losing L$ paying rent, and went to MP.  I don't think I was responding to "heavy promotion" but to increased ease of use and to lower operating cost. A lot of other small shop owners did the same.

The introduction of sculpties and, later, mesh certainly helped drive me out of the business of creating clothing too, but for me it was my long-term interest in scripting that did it. Scripting has always been a solitary activity, mostly off line.  It is frankly much better suited to my personality and talents than clothing ever was. In any case, I moved away from selling in world for a complex number of reasons, few of which I associate with LL promoting MP.  They were my personal economic and creative choices. SL changed and I grew up. I miss those days in a sort of nostalgic way -- the same way I miss the chaos of my teens and twenties -- but I would never go back.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Nowhere near, unless you're shopping entirely without sales and gifts (and even then, it's not that much). 

Heads are given out for free once or twice a year (depending on the brand) plus discounts on other occasions, bodies go up to about 50% off, skins/hair/clothes/etc. are in the weekly sales from 25L - 100L and plenty are given out for free at events, and AO animations go as low as about 20L/each for bento, normal price.

If you go in without any sales, discounts, freebies whatsoever - maybe about $40ish, but I always advise people to wait and not do that. With sales and gifts and discounts...I'm usually spending about $5 to make a new avatar. Maybe $10-12ish if you're just starting out and need a body.

The frequent sales and gifts and giveaways are key and keep avatar prices wayyyy down these days. I remember having to spend 900L-1500L+ on skins and 250-350L on hair way back when, and now it's what...60L?

Wow, you really do your homework and shop around.  Great info!  

I never liked any of the free heads I got though.  I ended up spending on three heads until I finally got the one that I really used a lot.  So, I spent probably $60 dollars just getting started with a head.  I mean, a head, so it's free, it doesn't mean it's what I want though, and neither were the first two I bought.  There were just so many to choose from that I think what made me choose the first two wrongly was I was tired of saying to myself "I can't decide", "I don't know which one", so I finally just said 'the hell with it' and decided to jump in somewhere and just get a head but it didn't work out and neither did the second.  The third, finally, hooray!  I found something I used every day for a few years.  To me that makes the price worth it, if one has the money, is that I got good use out of it and enjoyed it.  

The sales have been wonderful though from Seraphim to Friday sales to Happy Weekend (I forgot all their exact names).  But, I still spend a lot on hair at usually 250 to 350 linden per hair, although I have about 10 hairs I've gotten at the sales also.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

CINDY !!!!     HUGS !!!!!!    It is so nice to see you here again.

• Thanks 1

SL circa 2005 was creepy as *****, on multiple levels. Apparently there was a small artistic and non-commercial thing going on (?) but I didn't see any of that. All I saw was tacky-ass malls from sea to shining sea and creepy tech-bro libertarian 'sell everything that isn't nailed down' attitudes everywhere I looked..

...and my mentor getting stalked pretty much put the nail in the coffin for me, that and rl circumstances (computer died and I was in no rush to come back to this. )

Han is my 2nd account, and you'll notice it's from 2008 (or you won't notice, idgaf). Even then I would wander around for a couple weeks doing this or that on an alt (Han was for banking) and eventually getting bored ...until 2010, when everything clicked.

So that's my old days...and they were ugly. People still did the "stand around in IM" thing people complain about now. Builds were mostly prims and sculpties and the sculpties in particular have NOT aged well.

There are things I miss from then and miss them profoundly such as their being a level playing field in the realm of building things in-world. But that ship's sailed and done is done and some of the changes have trickled down to we prim builders (materials) and I wouldn't give those up for love or money. The sense of things being open and a unique sense of amused by the absurdity mixed with wonder and creativity that has not survived the mesh era. The people? Well the good ones from back then are still around and as far as the ones who aren't...not counting the deceased...? There's a reason why the people from one's past didn't make it to the present.

I'm old IRL and I spend an unhealthy amount of time and energy lost in the past -places I went to, memories of times I had, people who have gone...at the end of the day that is unhealthy, at least when done in excess.

"These are the good old days" or at least they're the days we should be spending most of our time in.

Edited by Han Held
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Han Held said:

I'm old IRL and I spend an unhealthy amount of time and energy lost in the past -places I went to, memories of times I had, people who have gone

The older we get, the more history we have to reminisce about, and the more enjoyable it becomes. I thoroughly enjoy it. For instance, YouTube has allowed me to hear songs, and often see the artists, that I hadn't heard since they were hits in their time. I love spending time in the 50s :D

They were good old days, at least in our memories, but there is so much to enjoy in these days too, that is absolutely brilliant and ongoing. Writing these posts, and them being able to be seen all over the world in a fraction of a second, for instance. Wandering around in an online world, interacting with people from anywhere in the world, seeing stuff on TV from anywhere in the world live, chatting with people anywhere in the world,  and being able to phone people wherever we are, are some others.

The 'good old days' are great to reminisce about, but I love what technology has brought us since then, and, although there are some bad aspects in today's world, I love what we have these days.

I apologise for that being off-topic. It's just a one-off post.

• Like 4

On 3/29/2023 at 2:50 PM, Prokofy Neva said:

She saw this as the phenomenon that would move SL away from the clutches of its early adapters who were mainly geeks and designers. Good!

I hate those people!

I love all the new content. I've always loved decorating in sl and I can find any style I want now in stores. It's a good thing. 

image.png.3963d692c1dea1eca02d7ff230b1b323.png

• Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 3:10 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

My mom made me get a lot of work done at a dental school, worst dental work I ever had done!

Must depend on where you live. Where I am the School is top notch and there even is a waiting list to get in. And it has saved me a small fortune. Earth food is bad for Martian teeth.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 6:53 AM, Phil Deakins said:

Mesh changed the very nature of SL. It used to be a world that users built and all users could do it equally well if they wanted to. Mesh killed that, and changed SL to a world that mesh creators built, and very few users are able to do it. The very nature of Second Life changed.

I can't say that I miss the old Second Life, when everyone could create equally well, because I'd stopped doing it long before mesh killed it. It was fun and good while it lasted, and I'd like to find something else, but I haven't managed it yet. I've no particular desire to go back to the 'good old days' though. I don't miss them.

I feel like you do about MESH. It changed (I will add the additional word) social nature of Second Life. We enjoyed learning together and sharing our creations with each other among other things.

I feel the same way about Linden Homes. Even though the original homes were/are shabby they drove out many of the smaller Land Lords. It's a difficult position to be in when your Supplier is also your Competitor.

And now there is Belliseria. And it appears to be a successful venture. It has the one thing Mainland, with a few small exceptions never had: Zoning. With a little bit of zoning I believe Mainland would have been more successful. It should have had residential areas, business areas, entertainment zones, etc.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 405 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.