Is voice now expected as default for SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 459 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

23 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Leaf blowers are the evile.

It's February.  The leaves fell months ago.  Our neighbor had roughly 20 leaves in his front yard, no tree.  It was in the 50s the other day so there he was, blowing those leaves to the backyard right along the side of my house.  It probably took him 20 mins since it was a windy day.  It would have taken less time and less.work to pick the dang things up and put them in the yard waste container.  The man is obsessed with his yard tools.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

It's February.  The leaves fell months ago.  Our neighbor had roughly 20 leaves in his front yard, no tree.  It was in the 50s the other day so there he was, blowing those leaves to the backyard right along the side of my house.  It probably took him 20 mins since it was a windy day.  It would have taken less time and less.work to pick the dang things up and put them in the yard waste container.  The man is obsessed with his yard tools.

That would wreck my head 😶

• Like 1

I prefer using voice with slow typers or if I'm doing and activity where I need to use the movement keys and can't type easily. When I meet someone for the first time, I ask them how they prefer to communicate and stick to that. When someone prefers to only voice, i respect that. They must have their reasons. But most people don't like to voice at all. 

• Like 1

I dont think there is a sudden uptick in voice requirements, naturally as people get used to using voice in their computers through other programs, they will find the option more natural.  But I dont think that voice is the new planking or that people are being shunned from SL society for not using voice. My guess is the OP had a single situation where someone asked them to use voice and proceeded to make the clickiest of baitiests thread title.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/25/2023 at 12:53 AM, HeathcliffMontague said:

Before you assume I'm anti voice, I'm not. I use it. As one of the available SL tools I might use.

And yet, this thread rapidly turned into an Anti-voice thread.  

Personally, I don't care if you do or do not use voice. Every time these type of threads pop up it turns into a cr@pshow of negativity. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Rakes are quieter and provide muscle building exercise. 🤭

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Rakes are quieter and provide muscle building exercise. 🤭

But they don't burn gasoline, so that won't do! 

Someone should build a piston-driven rake; I'm thinking something like a jackhammer but more stick-y and with a rake's head throbbing violently at the end of it. And it should come with one of those car cigarette lighters so that once you've got your leaves in a pile you can light a cigar and then toss it on the pile to make it go woof (preferably after having splashed some gasoline on it!). And, it'll be quite the workout, keeping it from ripping your arms off - win-win!

On 2/25/2023 at 7:11 AM, LittleMe Jewell said:

I don't use voice, ever.  To me, it is too much of a break of the SL immersion and makes it cross too much into RL

Indeed, for a role-player like me, voice is an absolute no-no: when I roleplay, I care about how the characters look, feel or ”sound” (via the posed text), not about who are the actual, real life persons behind them, and I certainly do not want what is left to my imagination being ruined by a RL voice that won't match the character being played... Not to mention the (spoken) language barrier: see below.

On 2/25/2023 at 5:04 PM, Coffee Pancake said:

SL voice is used exclusively for Linden meetings

I wish voice would be banned from those meetings...

When they are held (even partly) on voice I cannot attend them; not being a native English speaker, I have the greatest difficulties to understand spoken English, especially when spoken with thick accents, a high speech rate, mumbled words, or through a microphone and speakers, with saturation, statics and the like. Attending voice meetings would just be the source of a lot of frustration and a total loss of my time. :(

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 7

Never found that, no.

Have had a couple of times where I've asked why nobody is talking only to get a message saying "don't you hear us?" but it doesn't seem that common.  It isn't for me though so I don't tend to go to anywhere that makes specific mention of being a voice hangout or anything like that.

Edited by AmeliaJ08

11 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:
On 2/24/2023 at 11:53 PM, HeathcliffMontague said:

Before you assume I'm anti voice, I'm not. I use it. As one of the available SL tools I might use.

Personally, I don't care if you do or do not use voice. Every time these type of threads pop up it turns into a cr@pshow of negativity. 

But Drake, I HATE voice....let me say it again...I effing HATE it and I want to rant.

Every time I encounter people using voice they ignore the texters...they totally dominate the conversation.

I hate voice in SL.

• Like 4

I don't often run into people on voice, mostly it's on some half empty shopping event. Personally I don't mind, I can tune that out if I want to, or just mute the voice if it's just someone blasting their current taste in music or gardening-equipment - or showing the world that they're propably not going to get that parent of the year mug. 
While I do voice, and am not oppossed to it, I rarely do so on SL because for some reason, SL hates me and/or my microphone - so I do my talking on discord instead. Took me a huge jump over my shadow to voice tho, since I never really TALKED in english. And while my pronouncing is still crap, and I often times have trouble understanding someone if they're talking too quick/qiuet/accent-y, I got better at that and got a little more confident about it, heh.

13 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Oh, okay then.

As far as voice expected on as a default, I honestly think it depends.  Sometimes yes, sometimes no, sometimes maybe.  It depends on who you hang around with, which groups you are in, etc.  It's different all over SL.  But, I've never had a bad time on SL not being on voice, and I do not have anything to hide as I don't slex or hook up with people for relationships on SL.  It's just frewnds for me.  

It's just frewnds for me because of the energies I've put into building which is just about all my energy, then maybe I can relax a little in SL with frewnds.  If I put energy into relationships in SL, I'd never have enough energy to build and I'd be distracted.  It wouldn't work.  Omg, I just looked at pics of my work through the years.  Those sculpties didn't look all that bad when they had the right lighting.  I've been working (hard beyond words) in SL for years.  Sometimes not even enough time for frewnds.  

Edited by EliseAnne85

21 hours ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Re: Voice - Voice would be fun, imo, if it were people who actually lived near you, if one is looking to date in rl for example or they could become their town or city's local "ham radio".  Otherwise, meh.  

SL is not a dating platform, though. Unless I'm totally mistaken it's a global metaverse where people meet. :)

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, HeathcliffMontague said:

SL is not a dating platform, though. Unless I'm totally mistaken it's a global metaverse where people meet. :)

People do look to date here though and some even to take real life.  

I was just thinking out loud the other day that voice *would* be fun *if* we could talk to people in our own local area.  If I were looking to date, that would be a cool feature to somehow have area codes.  However, what I'm saying sounds futuristic.  SL voice, as it is, is a dinosaur.  

SL, to me, is a 3D virtual chat room and a building platform, at it's core.  Though much of the building is offline now.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Orwar said:

But they don't burn gasoline, so that won't do! 

Someone should build a piston-driven rake; I'm thinking something like a jackhammer but more stick-y and with a rake's head throbbing violently at the end of it. And it should come with one of those car cigarette lighters so that once you've got your leaves in a pile you can light a cigar and then toss it on the pile to make it go woof (preferably after having splashed some gasoline on it!). And, it'll be quite the workout, keeping it from ripping your arms off - win-win!

Wow. You really are a misanthrope. You hate humans so much you want them all to go deaf! 😜

It's weird I know but the electric ones don't have nearly as bad an effect on my tinnitus as the gas-powered ones. Electric ones just make me wanna slap some sense into the user. Gas powered ones make me wanna kill.

I thought they'd already built one?

Super-Rock-Breaker-Gas-Powered-Jack-Hamm6e2e83f5-9deb-434b-aaea-9d38e15a730a_1.9

🤭

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1

If voice becomes required, I'd like to see a popup window with a closeup of the person talking. That way we can see their lips moving. We're going to get more expressive faces and lip movement in the future so might as well highlight it. This isn't without precedence. RPG games will often show a closeup of a character talking. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

If voice becomes required, I'd like to see a popup window with a closeup of the person talking. That way we can see their lips moving. We're going to get more expressive faces and lip movement 

That sounds hilarious for Dinkies!   Btw, Dinkies moufs (moufs are mouths in Dinkie speak) already move when typing which one can turn on and off.  It's not in time with the keystrokes and looks like they talk way faster than the keystrokes and they wave their paws around a lot.  Dinkies kind of look like they are hysterical when their moufs and paws move.  Like "my building just fell down!" hysterical, not funny haha hysterical.    

Edited by EliseAnne85

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 459 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.