Is voice now expected as default for SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 423 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I think it's fairer to say that popularization of disposable diapers later in the century changed the garbage issue than to imply that Baby Boomers created the problem.  My children were born in the 70s, as you were, and I never used disposable diapers. There was still a robust industry for laundry services that would pick up your bucket of soiled (rinsed) cloth diapers and leave you with a pile of freshly washed ones. And, of course, you could always wash them yourself.  Either option was lots less expensive than buying disposables.

Things changed over the next decade or so as young parents decided that rinsing diapers and dropping them in a bucket was too much work and those laundry services went out of business. Disposable diapers may have been invented in 1961, but it took another quarter of a century for the generation after mine to make them popular enough to kill off the old cloth ones.

I was going to say basically the same.  There was a choice.  Cloth diapers did not "suddenly" go out of style.

The "instant generations" are multi-generational and still continue to this day.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I think the topic ran its course a long time ago. I hope the thread gets locked soon, but not deleted.

It doesn't need to be locked although may have run it's course.

As far as our personal information, it is ours and ours to choose to share or not to share with anyone including on voice.

I didn't even like when I was a human avatar and guys would jump in my IM..."are you really a girl?"...."are you really a red-head?" and on and on with personal questions.  I felt it was none of their business what color my hair really was.  Am I an avatar or not?  I made this so you could interact with it, not ask me personal questions. 

Never let yourself be pressured into revealing any personal info about yourself is all I wanted to reiterate.  We begin as an anonymous avatar and not all of us want sexy times nor to tell random IMer's our real eye color, etc.  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I think it's fairer to say that popularization of disposable diapers later in the century changed the garbage issue than to imply that Baby Boomers created the problem.  My children were born in the 70s, as you were, and I never used disposable diapers. There was still a robust industry for laundry services that would pick up your bucket of soiled (rinsed) cloth diapers and leave you with a pile of freshly washed ones. And, of course, you could always wash them yourself.  Either option was lots less expensive than buying disposables.

Things changed over the next decade or so as young parents decided that rinsing diapers and dropping them in a bucket was too much work and those laundry services went out of business. Disposable diapers may have been invented in 1961, but it took another quarter of a century for the generation after mine to make them popular enough to kill off the old cloth ones.

It had a lot to do with more women entering the work.force as well while raising a family.  My mother didn't work again until after my youngest sister was in school.  She had the time to wash and fold diapers.  My older sister and I were 1 year apart so she was washing them DAILY.

With the advent of day care, most insisted on disposable diapers.  It became almost a.necessity and not an option to use disposables.  Sad but true.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 423 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.