Is voice now expected as default for SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 438 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

No one cares if you do or do not use voice. 

Agree with 99 % of what you say, but can't quite agree on the latter. There seems to be more and more viewing voice as the normal thing to do. Just basing that on having made an effort to go outside my regular places such as MCs (getting more and more prevalent there too, btw) and actually exploring the grid quite a lot. Just my observation, take it for what you will.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Over the years I've seen lots of threads threads with people whining about it ruins their RP and implying everyone should stop using it or it has no place in sl, which strikes me as pretty entitled and selfish.

This! ^^^

If someone chooses to exclude themselves from certain conversations by refusing to use voice that's entirely up to them but that doesn't entitle them to impose their preferences on everybody else just because they don't like feeling left out.

• Like 2

On 3/3/2023 at 3:58 AM, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

A ton of people don't RP in SL. 

11 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

I'd hate to see voice be removed as an option because many of us do use it all the time.

i-completely-agree-agree.gif

@Zalificent Corvinus not all people want to do roleplay, for me  i dont want do roleplay with stranger -- and voice tool is  use to connect with people that we know real and we together want to use it in  this platform to connected and do things together. if someone insist you to use voice , block derender them.

Edited by Kalegthepsionicist
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Over the years I've seen lots of threads with people whining about how it ruins their RP and implying everyone should stop using it or it has no place in sl, which strikes me as pretty entitled and selfish.

i think this roleplayer, sytart to losing player lol

and they want all of us rp with them.

I hate rp with stranger in SL mostly sex stuff

2 hours ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

This! ^^^

If someone chooses to exclude themselves from certain conversations by refusing to use voice that's entirely up to them but that doesn't entitle them to impose their preferences on everybody else just because they don't like feeling left out.

Agreed 100 percent. Like I said, I choose to have voice off because it's usually noisy AF (I gave Tarkov as the worst possible example of voice I've ever experienced). I use voice, I just turn it on as needed. Default for me is off. I don't think we're really that far apart.

Main problem I have with voice is, it's almost impossible to feign interest in someone, and hide contempt over voice!

Plus, would have to leave my mic off to hide inappropriate laughter, and any tendency to repeat back stupid things heard, but in an incredulous tone. Not voicing spares the other person's feelings greatly!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Main problem I have with voice is, it's almost impossible to feign interest in someone, and hide contempt over voice!

Plus, would have to leave my mic off to hide inappropriate laughter, and any tendency to repeat back stupid things heard, but in an incredulous tone. Not voicing spares the other person's feelings greatly!

This is so true. When guys come on to me, even though it's written in my profile TWICE that I don’t slex or romance, I automatically switch to voice so that they can hear me giggle snorting every time they demand kissies or ask to be my slave or whatever else 😄.  I suddenly become a human to them and we can usually have a good time hanging out. I don't like to block people. I think most people are good, they just get a bit turned around in sl I think. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I'm reminded of the sitcom "Ghosts".  One of the ghosts is a Viking.  He doesn't seem to have an "accent", more of a "gruff attitude".  I guess they didn't think of that when casting a Viking ghost.

Thor has accent, hear it when he say landships. [growls and leaves room in huff]

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Nonsense.

I didn't spam you with anything.  Reasons "your avatar doesn't match your voice", can be anything from age, physical size, height, regional accent, language and yes gender, but you jumped to gender immediately, that's on you.

I try to be polite, but I think you're being very disingenuous, or extremely naive, if you're not aware that this is the main reason men ask a woman to voice in SL. To "verify" as it were.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Katherine Heartsong said:

I try to be polite, but I think you're being very disingenuous, or extremely naive, if you're not aware that this is the main reason men ask a woman to voice in SL. To "verify" as it were.

Thanks, I was wondering what was lost in translation there.

• Like 1

• Moles

It sounds like time for some people to step back from the keyboards, take a deep breath, and find something else to do for a while. This conversation has been losing its respectful tone overnight. With luck and cool heads, it might look better today. Let's give it a shot.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Main yeah but not the only one. Ive seen people get treated very differently when they got on voice and it was apparent that they were African American sadly. And a woman in her 70s who was never flirted with again after she got on voice. You can blame society not voice for that. 

Edited by Ingrid Ingersoll
  • Thanks 2

I still feel in the context of secondlife (the entire premise of the platform is that you can be anything and that it's not real life) why so many people are using it as a dating platform with the hope of forming a long distance relationship. I feel a bit uncomfortable using a word like catfishing in secondlife. I mean, if you're looking for reality, the odds are massively stacked against you. I haven't been around long enough to be tired of this topic 🍿

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, SorachaNicEoghain said:

I still feel in the context of secondlife (the entire premise of the platform is that you can be anything and that it's not real life) why so many people are using it as a dating platform with the hope of forming a long distance relationship. I feel a bit uncomfortable using a word like catfishing in secondlife. I mean, if you're looking for reality, the odds are massively stacked against you. 

Using sl for anything includes using your avatars an extension of your real self for a lot of people. Which is probably one of the reasons it was implemented. And for people who are disabled, may not be sble to type or for people sho may not have the best typing skills even though not disabled. Im glad we haveboth to chose from.

Edited by Ingrid Ingersoll

12 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

whining about how it ruins their RP and implying everyone should stop using it or it has no place in sl, which strikes me as pretty entitled and selfish.

I've never seen a thread with people "whining" it ruins their RP.  As far as who has control to turn on voice or turn off voice, those are the land owners.  It's that old saying... their land, their rules.

As far as people coming into voice threads and assuming one is not the sex of their avatar if they don't voice, I don't slex, and I'm not a human avatar but rather a small domestic cat, so it does not matter if I need to verify.  lol  Nor am I liar.  People have boxed in minds.

I hang with a funny crowd.  They aren't in it for the slex but the friendship, and what's said in local chat or group chat is funnier than voice could ever be.  It's clever word play.

But, those calling people liars or whatever who don't voice do need to stop doing that.  And, if the voicers are whining there is no voice on a sim, one needs to discuss that with the land owner, not here.  It's a land owner's privilege, not the SL forum poster's privilege to decide.  

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, HeathcliffMontague said:

Agree with 99 % of what you say, but can't quite agree on the latter. There seems to be more and more viewing voice as the normal thing to do. Just basing that on having made an effort to go outside my regular places such as MCs (getting more and more prevalent there too, btw) and actually exploring the grid quite a lot. Just my observation, take it for what you will.

Just because many people use voice does not mean you are forced to. If people in laces you go to refuse to respond to your typed messages, go elsewhere. They are the problem. 

7 hours ago, HeathcliffMontague said:

Just a bit curious though. What does voice bring to your SL that a non-SL voice would not? We seem to be speaking (as it were) totally past each other here.

As a content creator, 90% of the time i am in SL i am working in various other programs as well. Voice gives me the ability to converse with people while i work. I dont have to watch the screen, type out a response and wait for a reply. I do have my name tagged in the settings to play a sound when its typed so i can respond to those that type. 

There are many ways we can all converse in SL without people demanding you use one method or another. 

There is also a little button on my headset cord to activate and deactivate my microphone, so you dont hear my kids or anything else going on in the background.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 438 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.