"Opting out" seems to be a moot point.

KrystalKandy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 444 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Richardus Raymaker said:

Mabye stupid question. But how and where do you opt out ? I think LL never told us that.

I will send you a private IM with that info since we are not supposed to reference certain things here :)

Sent to your inbox here on the forum!

Edited by KrystalKandy
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, KrystalKandy said:

For some context here. When you go to secondlife.com you have zero access to the search page if you do not log in.Nothing on the login page even suggests there is a search option available.  But by going to the other website, you have a direct loophole to still access all the same info, minus your payment info status. 

In fact, this is pretty weird. Ignoring for the moment that there are personal profiles available, without login, on search.secondlife.com, it's probably a very bad idea that there's no link from the (unlogged-in) secondlife.com page to any search at all. It's trivial to get to the Destination Guide (from the "Explore Now" link), but I sure don't find a way to get to normal search, so it would be a slog for a prospective new user to determine whether Their Favorite Hobby has any presence in Second Life—at least from the page they're presented from secondlife.com.

On the other hand, a basic Google search of "second life qie niangao" turns up https://my.secondlife.com/qie.niangao which shows the (sanitized, unlogged-in) version of my profile. (But that may be subject to whether or not the profile is hidden, I didn't test that, and I'm not sure that distinction is what's at issue here.)

I actually think it's a big mistake not making search available from the unlogged-in secondlife.com page.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Randy Pole said:

The thing is that https://search.secondlife.com/ is not a third party website at all - it is simply linked to from a third party website. The search site is totally under the control of LL.

Right lol and I am referring solely to said third party website. My issue is not with LL. I was clear about that from the word go :)

• Like 1

Anyone searching my name on Google will be directed to various posts in these forums.  They can then see everything here without logging in aside from the Adult section, IIRC.  Same with the nefarious website.  It takes you to SL search but so what?   They have to already KNOW you to even bother.   None of the sites that came up when I searched my name had any RL info so again, who cares?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Indeed the interweb is spread full of data from these forums as well as anywhere else people post to - Flickr and so on. It's your information however your avatar's name and information is not (under legal terms) personal data. So people need to stop getting worked up about it so much.

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, animats said:

Logged out, in private browsing, I get my profile.

That seems backwards.

That is odd... I wonder if its a mix of that setting in the viewer preferences Privacy tab ( Show my profile in Search results ) along with settings under my.secondlife.com... does your settings reflect what you can see on your profile in search?

@Patch Linden @Grumpity Linden @Reed Linden Information about those settings seem scattered everywhere and quite a few seem old and don't apply to the new updates anymore, could we get up to date info a one place (page) about all privacy options (viewer preferences, my.secondlife.com, etc...), and, would in-world profiles be in sync with those settings?

Edited by Andred Darwin
  • Like 1

The problem -- if it is a problem; YYMV -- is that 1) SL web search is avalaible to literally anyone, and any web site can link to it, and 2) because it is LL's site, there us no way to "opt out" anyone from it.

I am not sure of the actual utility of making the search openly available to anyone online, but if they are going to do so, LL should reduce the amount of info visible without logging in.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The problem -- if it is a problem; YYMV -- is that 1) SL web search is avalaible to literally anyone, and any web site can link to it, and 2) because it is LL's site, there us no way to "opt out" anyone from it.

I am not sure of the actual utility of making the search openly available to anyone online, but if they are going to do so, LL should reduce the amount of info visible without logging in.

When profile is set to not show in search (Viewer preferences), it does not show on at search.secondlife.com either logged in or logged out, I checked just now... that account was set that way before... (I'm not sure if there is a delay to see changes....)

Edited by Andred Darwin
Add more info
  • Like 2

when i use the search without being logged in, i exactly get to see what i choose in my.secondlife: nothing except name,  rezzday... and payment info ( as we already heared in the other thread .. is public)

So i wonder, if all is set to "nobody" what keeps visible?

0ddd909a966342b6ad0ed1f242314c68.png

e5004e1f25cd8459d0371becb284b7f8.png

Edited by Juan Marques
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Juan Marques said:

when i use the search without being logged in, i exactly get to see what i choose in my.secondlife: nothing except name,  rezzday... and payment info ( as we already heared in the other thread .. is public)

Thank you for sharing it, I could not try my profile, cause everything is set to Everyone (except post on feed)... I tried your profile on search, without being logged in, the only thing not matching your settings is that part of your "About" section is displayed in search.... and you have it set to "Second Life". Seems like the control options are right there and makes sense, LL would need to clarify them or just make them work.... maybe sync in-world profiles with my.secondlife.com settings..... 

Edited by Andred Darwin

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

And be more upfront about how far that information is available as there is no doubt in my mind that many residents were not previously aware of how much of their information is available outside of S/L. I certainly was under the impression that I had a degree of anonymity outside of here. Some posters are prattling on about how since it does not involve real names and addresses it is all fine but that ignores the fact that many people's profiles contain strong hints of virtual lifestyle choices they would rather not have divulged in their real lives and in fact maybe illegal depending on their country of origin. Even those who play a fictitious character inworld can still be profiled by what is contained therein since it does point at something one has an interest in.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Richardus Raymaker said:

Mabye stupid question. But how and where do you opt out ? I think LL never told us that.

You have to opt out in your in world profile, at the bottom where it say's show in search, because It isn't using their site search..It uses Second life's  search engine.. So it  should change pretty quick.

I am confused as to what that mysecondlife.com website is even for.  This is all I know, at one time we could put up a free picture there and not have to spend the 10 lindens for an upload into the world.  But, I have a question, is that mysecondlife.com there because that is the place we get partnered (married) as well as divorced if we want too?  You have to pay money to get divorced my friend said and it's on mysecondlife.com.  Is this correct info?

Edited by EliseAnne85

4 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

I am confused as to what that mysecondlife.com website is even for.  This is all I know, at one time we could put up a free picture there and not have to spend the 10 lindens for a upload into the world.  But, I have a question, is that mysecondlife.com there because that is the place we get partnered (married) as well as divorced if we want too?  You have to pay money to get divorced my friend said and it's on mysecondlife.com.  Is this correct info?

Those online profiles was their attempt at turning SL into a social network.. Like face space and the other garbage like it.

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

I am confused as to what that mysecondlife.com website is even for.  This is all I know, at one time we could put up a free picture there and not have to spend the 10 lindens for a upload into the world.  But, I have a question, is that mysecondlife.com there because that is the place we get partnered (married) as well as divorced if we want too?  You have to pay money to get divorced my friend said and it's on mysecondlife.com.  Is this correct info?

It's the web version of your profile... aside from being a bit slow to load in-world, it's a nice option to have, quite a few people use it to share snapshots, incoming links from web, etc... but you are right, some don't even know it is an option, same as places.secondlife.com....  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Andred Darwin said:

It's the web version of your profile... aside from being a bit slow to load in-world, it's a nice option to have, quite a few people use it to share snapshots, incoming links from web, etc... but you are right, some don't even know it is an option, same as places.secondlife.com....  

So, it has no actual function, it's just for browsing instead of waiting for profiles to load.  Some people think it has a function, such as getting a divorce.  I will have to admit my profile loads slowly inworld for me, while other's profiles do not.  Profiles load fast for me inworld, but not my own.lol

58 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

FWIW, doing a search of your name will show me a ton of places where you are mentioned.  Without being logged in, on a private search page, I can also see your SL wishlist page on the MP.    

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

So, it has no actual function, it's just for browsing instead of waiting for profiles to load.  Some people think it has a function, such as getting a divorce.  I will have to admit my profile loads slowly inworld for me, while other's profiles do not.  Profiles load fast for me inworld, but not my own.lol

Yes, seems slow sometimes, but not too bad for me, as of function, I use it just to give a bit more info about me (avatar) in the game, in fact, I think I use most of the tools available, even places.secondlife.com, which I also really like as a feature and option ( easy to find items that are set to show on search, option to add pictures about the land, better description, more eye pleasing layout than the viewer UI, etc ), but it never really took off, that needed to be linked to the avatar profile to become relevant (My Places section?) ... sincerely, if used, could provide a better way to find interesting places... 

Edited by Andred Darwin
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

They won't find anything at all now..

They just took every bit of wind out of my sail for this place now.. I'm not getting skunked into some social network or whatever their long game is, just inching us out there slow and easy..

No thanks.

I did a search on all of my accounts without being logged into the LL website and not a single one of my accounts showed up in the search. I then went to the bb website and used their link with the exact same results. 

Maybe double check your privacy settings?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 444 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.